more ยป" />

20 Miles Of Tampa By Foot

by Meghann on October 15, 2011

We did it! We did it!!! 20 miles are done!

Well, technically 19.63 miles, but let’s not get nit picky. If you round up the walking I did to my car and to breakfast after the run, I would say it rounds up to a solid 20+. ;)

When Ashley first told me she was coming to Tampa the weekend of October 15th and we would be running 20 miles together I thought “Yeah, Yeah. Sure, Sure. No, big deal.” Then I finished my half ironman and realized October 15th was only three weeks away – yikes!

I quickly jumped on the marathon training bandwagon (would NOT recommend unless you are crazy and stupid like me) and knocked out a 15 miler and 17 miler in anticipation of rocking out a 20 miler with Ashley. I knew her pace was slightly slower than mine and – if at anytime I wanted to bail out – I could drop back and she wouldn’t judge me in the bit. I was ready for this run and excited to be doing it with a good friend.

I jumped out of bed at 5am, full of pre-run adrenaline, and downed a half a cup of iced coffee and a piece of toast with almond butter and granola while I was gathering my stuff.

Please note that it was dark and I was focusing on eating, charging my Garmin, and various other activities at this time.

I headed out around 5:30 and was lucky enough to find a parking garage that was open right near Ashley’s hotel. We really lucked out because Ashley’s hotel was the perfect location for getting a long run in, while exploring Tampa.

IMG_4579.jpg

(p.s. Isn’t Ashley adorable? I’m stopping at the Lululemon Outlet in Orlando next week and picking that skirt up!)

We started with a loop around Harbor Island before looping back around Channelside and downtown. Then we headed to Davis Island and watched the sun rise over the million dollar houses. It was a beautiful morning with a slight cool breeze, low humidity (at least what I considered low humidity Ashley? not so much), and clear skies. We chatted about upcoming races, our travels, and just catching up on life.

It wasn’t until we took a stretch break a little past mile 6 that Ashley gave me a funny look and asked if I had two different shoes on. What? I looked down and – sure enough – two different shoes. Idiot.

Where is my mind lately?! I can use every excuse there is, but when it comes down to it – I was the one who grabbed, tied, and walked out the door wearing two different shoes and didn’t realize it until over 6 miles into my run. Clearly my head is still in vacation mode, either that or I needed more sleep last night.

I made a point not to dwell on it and instead just laughed. What else can you do? :)

We finished our lap around Davis Island and cleared the bridge just past our 10 mile mark. Ashley was starting to feel a lot of pain in her legs at this point, so we decided to slow down and just do what we could at the time.

I love Ashley for many, many reasons, but I was especially proud of her unwillingness to give up today. I told her several times that we could turn around at any point and head back during the run, but she was determined to finish it – even if she walked the whole time. I knew her legs were bothering her, but she never whined about it and always made it a point to pick up her run again after a needed walk break. She is amazing.

I tried my best to be a running cheerleader and chatted her ear off the whole time. We reached milestone after milestone before hitting our turn around point back to the hotel.

IMG_4587.jpg

At this point Ashley was even more determined to finish and put all her focus and energy into running. She nailed it and we ended up coming in just around mile 19.63 at 3:47 and were proud to be done. :)

During the run I chewed on a Gu Chomp every 3 miles and guzzled Gu Brew from my Camelbak bottle.

IMG_4584.JPG IMG_4586.JPG

When we finished I said a quick good-bye to Ashley and navigated downtown traffic to find Fresh. I was hungry and knew they had oatmeal!

Pumpkin oats please!

I ordered the large pumpkin.

Eh. Not as great as I was expecting. Even all mixed in, it was a little bland. Next time I would lose the maple syrup and add raisins, brown sugar, and peanut butter.

Time to change and head back out! It’s a pool day!

See ya!

1 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep October 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm

What day will you be at the outlet!?!? We might not have that skirt, but I’ll check. What size are you? If we have it, I’ll see if I can hold it for you.

Love your Bliss Tank! We have a BUNCH of those (and they’re hugely marked down)!

2 Meghann October 15, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I’m going to be there on Wednesday. Are you working?! I’m a 6 if you have them!!

3 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep October 15, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I’ll be there 5-11 on Wednesday. If you’re there then, I’ll be in the back doing inventory, but let someone know so I can come out and see you! I saw that skirt in a size 4 today, so that might mean we have more in other sizes. We have a ton of boxes in the back that need to be unpacked, so there might be a size 6 in there somewhere.

4 Victoria October 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

If you have any other colors besides black, can you let me know? :) I have the black one and I love it!

5 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep October 17, 2011 at 10:22 am

Victoria, for the bliss tank or the skirt?

6 Victoria October 17, 2011 at 11:11 am

Ok, can’t reply directly to your reply, but for the skirt. I snagged a couple bliss tanks on sale. Love them!

Thanks, Andrea :)

7 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep October 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I’ll have to check for the skirts. I only saw that one like Ashley’s in the store. We had just 1 and it was a size 4, and I’m not entirely sure we still have it. But I’ll keep looking for them!

8 Army Amy* October 15, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I kind of love that you wore two different shoes on accident! That’s hilarious! Did they feel weird?*

9 Meghann October 15, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I didn’t even realize it until she said something, then I could only feel the difference if I thought about it. Otherwise it didn’t bother me.

10 Victoria (District Chocoholic) October 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I once did the two different shoes thing and noticed after I got to the gym. It’s acceptable.

11 Tropical Eats October 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Congrats you two!!! Major lolz at the 2 different running shoes.

You’re making me miss home sooooo much :)

12 Danielle Dillard October 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Congrats on the run Ashley and Meghann! That’s awesome. Yum- that breakfast looks delish!

13 Sana October 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm

It was 5:30am I am surprised you remembered to wear clothes! I would totally be missing some clothing item!

14 Courtney October 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Ah haha, I love the two different shoes. I almost want to give it a try. How’d it feel?

15 Meghann October 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm

It only felt funny when I realized I had on two different ones, otherwise I didn’t even notice.

16 Corey @ Learning Patience October 15, 2011 at 2:22 pm

wait…a lulu lemon outlet? wow where the heck is that? I have never heard of such a thing before????
xoxo from Trinidad

17 Meghann October 15, 2011 at 8:24 pm

There’s one in Orlando! It’s the only one I’ve ever heard of, so I’m not sure if there is one anywhere else.

18 Katie October 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Ha! That’s so funny about your shoes! I think its awesome it took you 6 miles to notice AND kept going! :)

19 Brittany October 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Haha that is definitely something I would do. Congrats to both of you for finishing!! I never knew lululemon had an outlet in Orlando. I’m moving back up there in January I’m totally going to check it out!!

20 Cait @ Beyond Bananas October 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Awesome job with the 20 miles!

The oatmeal options at that place look incredible! Pumpkin was a great choice! I just had my own version of American Oats after my half :)

21 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm

ha! that is too funny about the shoes. sounds exactly like something i would do. great run, though, despite the mix up!!

those pumpkin oats LOOK delish. bummer they didn’t live up to it :(

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Wow–two different shoes?! That’s awesome that you still did 20 miles! Nicely done you guys :)

23 Cait's Plate October 15, 2011 at 4:04 pm

The idea of those pumpkin oats sounds good at least! Bummer they were disappointing.

Congrats on the 20 miles though!!

24 Amy October 15, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Great job on the 20 miler! I just wanted to let you know i finished my first marathon last weekend :) The second half was very slow and painful due to injuries during training, but i finished–thanks for you help and advice along the journey. I can’t wait to heal my knees, train better and ROCK the next one.

25 Meghann October 15, 2011 at 9:57 pm

WOO HOO!! Congrats girl! I love your attitude. :)

26 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I’ve never heard of Fresh, that oatmeal list looked delicious! And congrats on the 20 miles!

27 delia October 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm

What’s that purple thing you’re wearing around your waist? Is it part of your shirt, or is it a skort? Just curious!

28 Meghann October 15, 2011 at 8:25 pm

It’s part of the shirt. I was wearing a spibelt that sort of bunched up on it and made it look funny, but it was really comfy.

29 Alaina October 15, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Aww, that two shoe incident is too funny. :-P

Great job on the mileage!!

30 Julie October 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Hahahaha about the shoes! I literally just laughed out loud because that’s something I’ve almost done in the past before realizing it.

31 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups October 15, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Sounds like a nice run! What a fun way to explore the city!

32 Emily @ Life on Food October 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Too bad the oatmeal wasn’t all that…I was so excited for you. I am going to try something like this for breakfast tomorrow.

33 Claudie October 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Nice run! As for the shoes, I’d say it’s a fashion statement ;)

34 Hillary October 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I’ve done the same shoe thing twice in the last month. Embarrassing, but eh! I got over it!

35 Jaclyn @realhealthwife October 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Congrats on the 20 miler!
Where did you get your top? I always run in t-shirts but would love to get something like that, it looks so cute!

36 Meghann October 15, 2011 at 8:26 pm

It’s a Lululemon top I picked up from the outlet the other week. It’s really comfy.

37 Hilary October 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

looks like a gorgeous running route! i love bayshore!

38 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm

hahaha! The two shoes is hilarious. Good job on the run, though! I have my first (well, technically second) 20 miler scheduled next weekend. Kind of nervous, mostly excited. :)

39 Ali @ Ali Runs October 16, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Congrats on the 20 miler! It sounds like you both did amazing!! :)

40 Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty October 16, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I love this post! I started running on Bayshore and your pics brought back so many memories of pushing myself “to the next light post.” Congrats on the 20 miler!

41 MorgzSyd October 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm

My bio teacher wore two different brown boots today!

42 Nikki October 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Congrats on the 20 miles ladies!

43 Ashley October 19, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Hey – I love reading about your races and adventures – so inspiring…Which camelbak bottle/strap do you have? I’m in the market for a bottle with a hand strap for my first marathon in 3weeks! NYC!!!