New Friends

by Meghann on October 13, 2011

Before our first night at dinner on the ship, Derek was crossing his fingers we would have a table just the two of us. Random pairings of groups at dinner can be, well, scary and forced conversation 5 nights in a row is tough when you have nothing in common with the people you’re seated with. It’s all about the luck of the draw and – fortunately for us – our luck was pretty good this trip.

Not only were we seated with one amazing couple – we were seated with three. There were never any awkward silences, smiles and laughter was a common occurrence, and we kept in touch outside of the dining room with friendly chats at the gym, breakfast, and shows. I couldn’t have picked better dining partners if I tried!

Lots of group love this cruise. πŸ™‚

Our fourth dining night was one of my favorites because I felt like we all let our barriers down and really lived the moment.

Derek and I purchased another bottle of wine to go with dinner.

IMG_4474.jpg IMG_4466.JPG

And when I said ‘let down our barriers’ I meant we weren’t afraid to finally order any (and everything) from the menu. Three starters? Two desserts? Don’t mind if I do. πŸ˜‰

Starter #1 was the corn chowder with salty bits of bacon and a rich cream base.

Starter #2 was from the ‘I dare ya to order’ portion of the menu – frog legs.

We all got a big kick out of these – lots of inappropriate joke and showgirl-esque moves with the legs.

I’ve only ever had deep fried frog legs in the past, but these were pan seared in a really garlicy sauce. The flavoring reminded me of the escargot from the first night. You needed a mint when you were done, they were so garlicy.

Starter #3 was the tomato salad – I figured I should have at least one real vegetable this meal. πŸ˜‰

My main course wasn’t as impressive. I ordered the fried fish and shrimp, but mainly just ate the curly fries on the plate. Meh.

We had lots of celebrating tonight!

A birthday

And a 10 year anniversary!

Followed by multiple desserts. πŸ˜‰

The cappuccino pie was the favorite of the evening

But souffles always hold a special place in my heart.

Derek and I forced ourselves to stay up and enjoy some cruise ship nightlife.

We joined the deck party, but skipped the buffet (still so full – how were people still eating?!?!)

Then crawled into bed just before midnight with our new friend Mr. Stingray.

Come on, you can’t argue with that one. Right? πŸ˜‰

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life October 13, 2011 at 9:08 am

Yay for fun tablemates! We had some great ones too in the past…and some weird ones, too. All part of the fun…. πŸ˜‰
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..Comment on wordless wednesdays. by Michelle @ Michelle Does Germany

2 Christina @ Just Running October 13, 2011 at 9:09 am

Did you mention your blog at dinner? Is there any chance your cruise friends will see the blog?

Geez, I want all of that dessert.
Christina @ Just Running recently posted..Preparing for Marathon #2

3 Meghann October 13, 2011 at 11:02 am

Yes, I did! They were even asking if they were going to be on it. πŸ™‚

4 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 13, 2011 at 9:11 am

that old guy in the deck party photo looks ready for his third round of food and maybe some “Party Rock Anthem!”
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Pale and Living in a Closet.

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 13, 2011 at 9:14 am

Wow, you’re a brave one with the frog legs! Not sure I would have been able to do that. (I’d just fill up on cappuccino pie lol!)
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Dream Jobs

6 Hope October 13, 2011 at 9:18 am

That looks like so much fun! You are so brave to try frog legs. I don’t think I would ever be able to do that.
Hope recently posted..Undone Stuffed Pepper Casserole…

7 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

and the amazing eats continue!! so happy you made some new friends.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..chin up.

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

WOw, you are brave!!

Looks like a fun night πŸ™‚

9 Cheryl October 13, 2011 at 9:39 am

I love that polka dot dress on you! Looks like you guys are having a blast!
Cheryl recently posted..Good Run/Bad Gym

10 Nikki October 13, 2011 at 9:40 am

I absolutely love your dress! You look adorable!!!!
Nikki recently posted..WIAW + a weekend of pics!

11 michelle October 13, 2011 at 9:45 am

Very cute dress! All that cruise food is making me jealous. And hungry.
michelle recently posted..Hired!

12 Stephanie October 13, 2011 at 9:50 am

You have to share where you got that super cute dress! Looks like you’re having a great time!

13 Meghann October 13, 2011 at 11:00 am

Target! I think I bought it in April?

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 13, 2011 at 9:58 am

that’s great that you had such a fun table! I wonder how they choose to put people together…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Workouts

15 Krystina (Organically Me) October 13, 2011 at 10:01 am

Did the frog legs taste like chicken? :p
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Meet Lily

16 Erin October 13, 2011 at 10:03 am

Just wanted to say that I love all of your cute dress/necklace combinations on this trip!!!

17 Anne October 13, 2011 at 10:14 am

Whoa, you’re crazy! MIDNIGHT!?! πŸ˜› When we went on our cruise we did the freestyle dining or whatever it’s called, where we ate when we wanted to and always sat by ourselves. It was really nice, and we only had to wait once I think. I love how attentive the waitstaff was.
Anne recently posted..Training has gone to the dogs

18 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

That is so awesome that you enjoy your dinner mates! At my husband’s last company Holiday Ball, we were mixed with so many different people, his Commander, the Chaplain’s wife, various soldiers and their wives … it can be painfully awkward sometimes, to say the least!
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Great Scott, Look at Her Glutes!

19 Yolie @ Practising Wellness October 13, 2011 at 10:34 am

Oh, i love cruises, they’re so much fun! πŸ˜€ How awesome that you got seated with some great people – yay! You look gorgeous in your polka dot dress- so happy and healthy, you are positively glowing! πŸ™‚ Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise – that stingray towel is super cute, lol! πŸ˜› xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Trying New Things

20 Caitlin C. October 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

Loving your dress/necklace combo! LOL @ the stingray. The towel folding people feeling a bit lazy last night?
Caitlin C. recently posted..There Is Food In This Post

21 kim October 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’ve never been on a cruise, so I’m curious is the food included? Like when you order everything on the menu do they charge you for it? It’s been so fun reading your posts! Makes me want to go on a cruise πŸ™‚

22 Meghann October 13, 2011 at 10:59 am

The food is included, drinks are not. πŸ™‚

23 Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it October 13, 2011 at 11:11 am

Looks like so fun! Christian and I have never been ona cruise but I heard it is common to stay in touch with people after a cruise πŸ™‚
Megan @ Life As Megan Knows it recently posted..goals and training plan

24 Meghann October 13, 2011 at 11:20 am

It is! I’m still friends with multiple people I’ve met on cruises via Facebook.

25 Alaina October 13, 2011 at 11:14 am

I am loving those pillow animals. πŸ™‚

And I love your hair! Is it naturally curly or do you use a curling iron?

26 Meghann October 13, 2011 at 11:20 am

It’s naturally wavy, but I purchased some hot curlers that I used on the cruise. I’m planning a review on them sometime next week. πŸ™‚

27 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life October 13, 2011 at 11:25 am

You are workin’ that dress, girl! So cute! I’ve never had frog legs, and I don’t think I’m brave enough to try them! Also, definitely a stingray. πŸ™‚
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..New York Bagels

28 Corey @ Learning Patience October 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

So fun—i hope we are as lucky to get good dining partners… Last time we went on a cruise a guy at the table got arrest in Cozumel and wasn’t let back on the ship…and we were sitting with his family…it was just a TAD bit uncomrtable the next 2 nights…yikes! πŸ™‚
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..16 Days till My Dream Vacation

29 Jess@atasteofconfidence October 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm

That is the best part about cruises! I actually love sitting at dinner table with other people..and then you have other people to hang out with!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Tuesday Word Day: Winning Hands Down

30 deva @ deva by definition October 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm

That pie looks divine! I have never had souffle, though..
deva @ deva by definition recently posted..Fashionability

31 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm

That looks so fun! I’ve never been on a cruise before.. the thought of sleeping on water always freaked me out a little, but the food options might be enough to have me change my tune.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Foot-iversary

32 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 13, 2011 at 12:50 pm

So true, dining companions can make it or break it on a cruise! Glad you got some good ones πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin chocolate chip scones

33 Cait's Plate October 13, 2011 at 1:03 pm

LOVE your outfit!! You look so cute!

And yay for new friends! I’ve done a few cruises in my life and it’s always so fun to meet new people and make new friends πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Opened

34 RunEatRepeat October 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I have been super overwhelmed with my busy month that I wasn’t looking forward to my cruise. But, now I kinda am πŸ˜‰
RunEatRepeat recently posted..New Shirt New Shoes New Service

35 Katy (The Singing Runner) October 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm

All of these cruise posts make me REALLY want to go on one! Would you believe me if I said that I have never been on one, despite living in Florida almost my entire life? There are so many ports to leave from and yet, I have never been on one!!!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..WIAW: GRE Edition

36 Ali @ Ali Runs October 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm

It’s great you were able to sit with such great couples! I’m sure that made the experience so much better!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Race Weekend!

37 Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups October 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I’ve been really enjoying living vicariously though you on this trip!!
Jessica @ Sushi & Sit-Ups recently posted..Four Rivers

38 BroccoliHut October 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I can’t decide which I like better–the cappuccino pie or the polka dot dress!!

39 Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance October 13, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Ooh, I love frog legs! And escargot too. Loving the polka dots, you look so cute!
Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance recently posted..Happens every day