Final Day At Sea

by Meghann on October 13, 2011

Our final day at sea began with a beautiful sunrise.

Almost made running on a treadmill seem like such a waste. Yes, there was a track on the ship, but it was small (11 laps = 1 mile) and required keeping track of laps while trying not to get dizzy from going in a circle so many times. 😉

The treadmill actually wasn’t bad. You could see the ocean through the windows, the TV picked up the Today Show, and the rocking of the ship kept me on my toes.

I squeezed out a final 4 mile run during our last morning and felt great about it.

After my run, I swung by the room to pick Derek up and headed to the buffet for breakfast. I got creative with my oats (strawberry compote, raisins, almond slivers, and peanut butter toppings) and enjoyed a lemon poppyseed muffin and bowl of fruit on the side. The extra sweet breakfast really pleased my morning sweet tooth. 😉

Pool time!

We found two chairs and didn’t leave them until lunch time. It was sunshine bliss.

Side note: If you ever take a cruise I would 100% recommend bringing a water bottle. This baby came in handy at each port of call, as well as the days at sea.

IMG_4505.jpg

When our tummies started grumbling, we headed to the dining room for the fancy lunch option. Fancy lunch = better bread.

Also, better menu option in general. Including the beautifully presented – and equally delicious – antipasto plate

And King Neptune Salad. The deconstructed salad really played up the flavor and texture of the cold seafood. I wasn’t sure I would like it, but I ended up loving it.

When I saw ‘fruit terrine’ on the menu as a desert option, I ordered it expecting a goblet of fruit. When a custard-like jello mold of fruit was placed in front of me, I realized I had no idea what a terrine was.

I’m always iffy about custard-like textures, but this one didn’t bother me. I mainly just dug the fruit out and nibbled around the edges. Not sure I would order it again, but at least I gave it a shot.

After lunch Derek and discovered the ‘Serenity Deck’ at the back of the ship. Why, oh why, did it take us so long to discover this little piece of heaven?!

The deck was 21+ only, had extra comfy chairs, beautiful views, empty whirlpools, and was just so quiet and peaceful. I easily fell asleep in the chair and stayed that way for a good hour.

Afternoon snacks included:

IMG_4512.JPG <

1 Hillary October 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I need a vacation that includes a serenity deck.
Now would be great!
Hillary recently posted..Yes, You Can

2 Mary @ food and fun on the run October 13, 2011 at 2:36 pm

All of your cruise posts look so awesome. It looks like the R&R was amazing, and you all definitely lucked out on the weather. Good idea with the water bottle! I think that would save me on something like a cruise!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..8 Tips For A Safe Run

3 Krissy @ Shiawase Life October 13, 2011 at 2:38 pm

A serenity deck sounds so amazing right now…
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesdays.

4 Army Amy* October 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Looks like another great day!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Our love story: how we met

5 Whitney October 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Yep- we were totally on the same ship!!! I sailed a few weeks ago. The serenity deck kicks totally butt.

6 Casey October 13, 2011 at 2:58 pm

11 laps for 1 mile is crazy! That’s nice you were able to run on the treadmill and have a view.

The one thing I like about going on vacation is the breakfast. It is nice to have a variety to choose from rather than have the same old simple breakfast.
Casey recently posted..Double down workout

7 Christie October 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Ahhhh, looks amazing!

8 Michelle October 13, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I once ran around a track where 15 laps was one mile. I felt sick after about 2 miles and called it a day! No fun

9 Ali @ Ali Runs October 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm

The serenity deck sounds amazing! I need one of those right now! Soak up the last little bit of vacation! 🙂
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Race Weekend!

10 Yolie @ Practising Wellness October 13, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Oh my….a serenity deck sounds amazing! <3 As does your wonderful food! 🙂 Love your cap and tank top – so cute and casual! Have a beautiful last day on the boat! <3 xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Sweet Squash & Strength Session

11 Cait's Plate October 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Boo – I’ve been enjoying living vicariously through you!! Glad it was such a great trip – enjoy your last day!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Opened

12 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 13, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I’m not big on custard things either. I’m such a huge texture eater. Texture ruins so many things for me.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Stuffed With Emptiness: “I’ve Tried To Love You But I Just Can’t”

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm

okay that serenity deck sounds amazing!!

I too don’t like custard–such a weirdo texture for me!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Chocolate Benefits + Thankful Thursday

14 Corey @ Learning Patience October 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Looking forward to the serenity deck….geez, I cannot wait for this vacay….not sure I would have been this excited without you cruise updates…Thanks girl!
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..14 Days till My Dream Vacation

15 RafaelQ October 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Cozumel was awesome for us! Cant wait to go back. The beach we went is one of the ones they used for Corona commercials. Tripadvisor.com had great inside info on what to do and what to look for.
RafaelQ recently posted..Perfect Day for an Art Festival

16 Jackie October 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Your posts have been making me crave another cruise! When we went, we actually ran the 11 lap per mile track each day. We had to focus so much on counting that the run didn’t seem so bad. There were always a lot of walkers we had to maneuver around though.
Completely agree about the waterbottle coming in handy! Wish we had been to the formal lunch.. we never made it.

17 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

i just realized i have no idea what a terrine is either!

definitely a fan of the over 21 areas!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..banana pancakes for one.

18 Krystina (Organically Me) October 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Enjoy your last day!

19 Laura October 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I would probably stay at the serenity deck the whole time… unless I was eating. I need some relaxation and quiet, stat!
Laura recently posted..50 Little Things – Week 1

20 Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 13, 2011 at 4:54 pm

looks like you had glorious weather!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..A South African “poeding” attempt

21 Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I love starting the day with a workout like that…gets you feeling great for the rest of the time 🙂
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..I Am The Exception

22 Emily @ Life on Food October 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I am making my husband read every single one of your posts to convince him that our next vacation should be a cruise.
Emily @ Life on Food recently posted..Frontera Grill

23 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Serenity deck sounds AMAZING!

24 Hope October 13, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Looks like such a relaxing last day! I hope you had a wonderful vacation 🙂
Hope recently posted..Undone Stuffed Pepper Casserole…

25 sara October 13, 2011 at 10:06 pm

It takes 16 laps on the indoor track at my ymca to complete a mile…and i did nearly my entire 5k training on that before the weather started getting cooler and i ventured outside for my runs!
sara recently posted..32:28! (sub-titled: my first official race recap!)

26 Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle October 13, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I want to be on a cruise! Could you really feel the ship moving while on the treadmill? I think that’d make me motion sick! eek.
Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle recently posted..Most Awkward Lunch Ever

27 MelanieF October 14, 2011 at 10:06 am

We just came back from a cruise on the Disney Magic, and we also bought our own water bottle and it came in so handy when we got off the ship as well as on the ship. This is a great recommandation as well.