Grand Cayman

by Meghann on October 11, 2011

The towel elephant says ‘GOOODDDD MOOORRRNNNINGGG!!!’

At least I think it’s an elephant. Any other guesses? πŸ˜‰

We started the second morning of our cruise with an early gym call.

I pushed myself with some intervals on the treadmill and ended up running 3.1 miles will toggling between 6.5 and 8.5. Not bad for a quick 30 minute workout.

We then hit the breakfast buffet.

Pastries, eggs, fruit, and oatmeal as far as the eye could see!

I stuck it out the long line for the build-your-own omelet bar and requested one with everything. I rounded the plate out with a piece of bread, grits, and melon.

I also grabbed some snacks for later. You can never be too prepared when it comes to hunger!

Our first port of call was beautiful Grand Cayman. This was the one Derek and I were most looking forward to because of his family on the island. I had only been to Grand Cayman via a cruise once when I was a kid, but Derek has been several times in the past to visit loved ones.

We were on one of the very first tenders off the boat at 8:30am.

We only had a few hours at the island and wanted to soak up as much time as we could.

We could not have asked for a more beautiful day. Blue skies, clear water, and we were the only boat in port. Loved it!

MAJOR thanks to Derek’s uncle for picking us up from port and allowing us to steal some of his WiFi – I was having SERIOUS twitter withdrawals πŸ˜‰ He also hooked us up with a great deal on a boat to Stingray City.

I knew those snacks were going to come in handy! I chowed down on the pear when we got on the boat and the Cherrios after snorkeling.

IMG_4366.JPG IMG_4376.JPG

DSCF3002.JPG

Stingray City is a sandbar right off Grand Cayman’s shore that’s about waist deep and home to hundreds (thousands?) of stingrays. It’s a beautiful location that makes you just want to grab a float, lay back, and never leave.

DSCF3003.JPG

DSCF3007.JPG

DSCF3026.JPG

DSCF3029.JPG

DSCF3031.JPG

DSCF3037.JPG

DSCF3043.JPG

DSCF3045.JPG

DSCF3046.JPG

DSCF3047.JPG DSCF3048.JPG

DSCF3056.JPG

DSCF3050.JPG DSCF3051.JPG

DSCF3058.JPG

Jumping off the boat was encouraged. πŸ˜‰

DSCF3063.JPG

DSCF3065.JPG

DSCF3066.JPG

There were a group of kids chowing down on gummy snakes at the port. I became insanely jealous and wanted one too. So. Good.

IMG_4388.JPG IMG_4389.JPG

Derek’s uncle (who reads the blog and is a fan – Hi Uncle Archie!!) met us for lunch before we hopped back on the ship.

I requested authentic local food and he delivered! It was the best curried goat and oxtail I’ve ever had. πŸ˜‰

Yum!

After saying our good-byes, we took the very last tender back to the boat.

See ya later Grand Cayman! It was fun!

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

We went to Grand Cayman when I was a junior in hs on a carnival cruise and my whole fam did the sting ray thing while I sat and watched on the boat. Those things are FREAKY! I can’t believe you could get in the water with them! Ewww… haha
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Panettone apple bread pudding

2 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 11, 2011 at 10:32 am

The only think I know how to make out of a towel is a penis. My gbf taught me.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..A Good Way To Get Pinkeye.

3 Krissy @ Shiawase Life October 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

How cool that you have family there! Grand Cayman was one of my favorite ports on our Honeymoon cruise too πŸ˜€
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..State Challenge!

4 Lindsey October 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

I think towel animals could have been my favorite part of our cruise! haha. We even bought the “how to” video on them!
I am so jealous, the Grand Caymans look beautiful. I woke up to a very grey day at 0 degrees! Brr!
Lindsey recently posted..Holiday Monday

5 Corey @ Learning Patience October 11, 2011 at 10:50 am

Love those sting rays! So cool! Looks like your having SO much fun…can’t wait for mine! EKKK! πŸ™‚ I’m a snack stealer too…when I walk away from the buffet – my hands/pockets are full! My hubby is always embarrassed….but he always asks for a snack hours later! lol
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Curried Zucchini Fritters

6 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

Wow, the water is SOOO blue! (“I know you’re probably thinking well obviously, it’s water!!”) Looks like you’re having a great time. I’ve never been to Grand Cayman but it looks beautiful.
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Spotlight on Fall Produce: Pumpkin!

7 Hope October 11, 2011 at 10:56 am

Grand Cayman looks beautiful! That is so cool that Derek has family there. I love your hat and tank top! So cute πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..A Simple, Yet Delicious Dinner…

8 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 11, 2011 at 11:02 am

Those sting rays are so SWEET! πŸ™‚
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Get It Girl

9 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

I’ve done that tour before and it’s really cool. Kind of freaky at the same time though. You’re making me really want to pick a cruise for our 5 year anniversary.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Body After Baby Month 9

10 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 11, 2011 at 11:06 am

That scenery looks gorgeous from your cruise! And cute striped bathing suit!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Baked ziti

11 Heather @ Better With Veggies October 11, 2011 at 11:11 am

Looks like you’re having a blast – I love Grand Cayman! We went diving there (our second dive ever) a few years ago and it’s still one of those places I need to go back to – way more diving to be done. I LOVE cruises..I’m seriously jealous as it’s rainy & overcast here in Atlanta! πŸ™‚
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Tuesday Trainer: Meet The Trainer Edition!

12 Amanda @ Hold Me Closer Tiny Runner October 11, 2011 at 11:12 am

That water looks unreal! I am trying to not be overcome with jealousy! It looks like you guys are having a blast! Enjoy every minute of it!!

13 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 11, 2011 at 11:19 am

oh my goodness!!! This looks SO pretty. I really need to hop on a cruise….asap! Enjoy πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

14 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 11, 2011 at 11:22 am

That’s awesome that Derek has family there! You got to do the touristy stuff and the local stuff. How neat!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Bonefish

15 Kath October 11, 2011 at 11:31 am

Fun times!! I’ve been to Sting Ray City!!
Kath recently posted..Here And There

16 Victoria October 11, 2011 at 11:39 am

We went to Grand Cayman in May and did Sting Ray City. I had a total meltdown when I saw the size of the sting rays and only made it in the water for about 30 seconds. The 5 year olds in the boat were braver than I was. Whoops!
Victoria recently posted..Halloween Horror Nights

17 Molly October 11, 2011 at 11:52 am

ah this makes me miss that place- Im so glad I will be there for Thanksgiving πŸ™‚ My friend Dan lives there as well, and his job is to take people to Stingray City. Talk about living the life!!! And I have totally eaten the curred goat and oxtail place, I am more partial to the rice and beans πŸ˜‰
have a good rest of your trip!
Molly recently posted..When the world stopped turning

18 Heather October 11, 2011 at 11:58 am

I LOVE grand cayman! when we went last year on a cruise we headed to the public beach, so beautiful. Husband kept trying to convince me to let us move there. Yeah, right. Glad you are having a good time!
Heather recently posted..Disney Day 3 Continued September 2011

19 Krystina (Organically Me) October 11, 2011 at 12:15 pm

That’s awesome that Derek has family there! And your trip sounds so amazing; I’ve yet to convince my boyfriend to book one yet though. πŸ˜›
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..6 Tips for New or Sometimes Runners

20 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday October 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm

That looks like lots of fun!

21 Lauren October 11, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Grand Cayman is absolutely beautiful – love it. I love your snorkeling pictures! Is there seriously a prettier way to pass the day? I think not. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

22 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I went to stingray city the last time I was on a cruise too! Did you kiss one?
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Have You Heard?

23 Emily October 11, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I would die happy to go on a cruise right about now!
Emily recently posted..A morning of threes

24 Steph @321delish October 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm

SO JEALOUS! I went to Cayman in March and had the best time. Stingray City was awesome, but my favorite part was swimming with the dolphins. And, on the flight back to FL, I met my boyfriend πŸ™‚ I guess that might actually have been the best part…I’m going cruising with him next week!
Steph @321delish recently posted..Waterman’s Half Ironman-Relay Edition

25 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 11, 2011 at 1:02 pm

i’m loving your vacation posts!!

how is it running on a treadmill while on a ship?! i can’t imagine my stomach would handle that very well πŸ™‚
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..creamy risotto with caramelized onions, mushrooms + spinach

26 Laurie October 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm

So beautiful!!! That water is so clear and blue! So lucky! Ok, the hubs and I need to book a cruise there ASAP!!! So glad you guys are having a great time!

27 allison @ thesundayflog October 11, 2011 at 1:18 pm

so many comments! first – you are looks GREAT, girlfriend. so happy and so much fun. second – he has family on grand cayman?? thats amazing! i wonder if we ate at the same place! steve got some weird local food and it looked just like that in those take-out containers. fun πŸ™‚ and lastly – one night our towel creation was a complete mystery, so we named it our lil homie because it looked like he was rapping and wearing a hoodie haha. enjoy!
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..Sunday Dinner: Oktoberfest and Mexican Salads

28 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner October 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I went to Stringray City when I was 10 years old – probably one of the coolest experiences of my life! Except I am still deathly afraid of stringrays! So jealous of your trip right now! Sounds fantastic! [FYI – I’m waiting to see a ring on your finger ;)]
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..baby’s new home

29 erica October 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm

wow, the water looks so crystal clear, and i LOVE sting rays! i want to do that one day!!!

30 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 11, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Ahhh I’m getting more and more jealous as your cruise goes on! I went snorkeling on my cruise too, it was a blast! Haha and I don’t think I’ve ever had curried lamb and oxtail!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Cake Batter Cookies and Crock-Pot Chicken

31 Caitlin October 11, 2011 at 5:16 pm

my favorite part about cruises is having smoked salmon, cream cheese, and capers on wheat toast. if you like salmon, you should def. give it a try as it is so expensive at the grocery store!

32 Carissa October 11, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I’ve been to Stingray City too! It was such a neat experience and I love my pics from there. did you visit the post office in “Hell”?

You look so cute in that hat too BTW.
Carissa recently posted..Remembering Asia

33 Sarah (A Runner's Heart) October 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Those pictures are GORGEOUS! Makes me so jealous! lol πŸ™‚ I want to go on a cruise so bad! But I am enjoying looking at all of your photo’s! πŸ™‚
Sarah (A Runner’s Heart) recently posted..I need a do-over…

34 Ali @ Ali Runs October 11, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Your vacation is making me insanely jealous!! It looks like you’re having a blast!!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Perfect Fall Run!

35 Kristen October 11, 2011 at 10:07 pm

OMG the RAINBOW in your pic w/ the ship in the background looks like a postcard!

Loving the crystal clear water and string rays!

36 Katie October 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Ooh the water in the Grand Cayman is sooo pretty isn’t it? We were there a few years ago and did the stingray sandbar thing. Of course, I was a huge wuss and practically clawed my way on top of my dad’s shoulders to avoid the sting rays hitting me! At that time, the water was actually quite deep: it was definitely higher than my waist…I kept floating off the ocean floor and was terrified that I’d step on top of a ray and start a frenzy! I’m a wuss…
Katie recently posted..Vacation Novices

37 Lacey @ Lake Life October 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I have a couple of (possibly stupid) questions since I never take vacations…

1. Why don’t the sting rays sting?

2. The best curried goat and oxtail you’ve ever had? I’ve never had either! What do they taste like?
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..Caprese Bruschetta

38 Paul N. October 13, 2011 at 1:46 am

I’m a friend of uncle Archie he told me about your site. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit here to Grand Cayman next time Archie will have to get you some real Cayman dishes such as stew conch and turtle. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

39 Brittany October 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm

So fun!! I visited Grand Cayman with my friend who also has family on the island a few summers ago. We went to sting ray city as well and I had fun kissing the rays. Glad you and Derek enjoyed your time there together!
Brittany recently posted..Protein Packed Pumpkin Pie Yogurt

40 Sophie October 22, 2011 at 5:27 am

I want to learn how to make a towel elephant!!
Sophie recently posted..Half Term!