Sail Away With Me

by Meghann on October 9, 2011

Happy Sunday from the middle of the Atlantic Ocean!

We have nothing but a big blue sky overhead and blue waters as far as the eyes can see around us. Life is good. πŸ™‚

Can I stay forever? πŸ˜‰

Yesterday we waved good bye to the U.S. and hello to 5 days of sun and relaxation.

IMG_4167.jpg

Heeellllooooo vacation time!

IMG_4165.jpg IMG_4166.JPG

First things first – FOOD!

As soon as we walked on the boat, we dropped our bags off and headed to the buffet on the Lido Deck. I barely had anything to eat since my 17 mile run that morning and needed food fast.

The grilled mozzarella and veggie sandwich really hit the spot. Nothing beats a nice chunk of fresh mozzarella and pesto on a sandwich.

Dessert

The apple coffee strudel cake was delicious – it was moist, fruity, and the crumble on top was extra cinnamon-y and decadent. However, the cupcake? Not a fan. The icing was the flavorless whipped stuff and it had dried fruit baked in that was an unexpected not-so-nice surprise (tasted like fruit cake). Blah.

Granted, its been a few years since my last cruise, but I was pleasantly surprised the muster drill didn’t require us to grab our life jackets from our room and bring them to our assigned location. We just had to show up and listen to a five minute safety speech on what to do in case of an emergency. “If you hear a siren – grab your life jacket and come here.” Got it.

And with that – we were off!

Now, THIS is what I’m talking about!

There was lots of napping, reading, and doing absolutely nothing. I <3 vacation!

Derek and I opted for the late dinner reservations when we booked our trip, this meant we got to take our time enjoying the afternoon before our 8:15pm seating.

We were randomly seated with two other sets of young couples who were all active and really easy to get along with. We discussed running (one of the girls is training for her first marathon in February!), kids, and FOOD. We had a table of good eaters. πŸ˜‰

They’ve changed the menu set up a bit since my last Carnival cruise. You used to have an option for a salad/soup starter, and then the main course. Now, you just have an option for a starter and a main course without the separated salad/ soup option. However, you can still order how ever much you want of everything, which – for me – still meant a separate salad/soup, starter, and main meal. (The girl next to me ordered almost the whole menu so she could try everything – I knew then that we would be good friends. πŸ˜‰ )

We started with bread

and a not-badly-priced bottle of wine (was expecting a lot worse when they brought the wine menu).

Derek and I both nursed a glass each, so the bottle was re-corked and saved for tonight’s dinner.

My first appetizer was the chilled gazpacho. It was extra spicy, but missing some of the cooling cucumber flavor I love in fresh gazpacho soup.

I followed the soup with the escargot. It’s one of those things I only ever order on cruise ships, so I made sure to savor every buttery garlic bite. So rich and so worth it.

My main course was a pumpkin pot pie.

I LOVED the chunky, sweet pumpkin housed underneath the flaky crust, but my table-mate wasn’t as big of a fan. It was very rich, dense, and definitely a ‘Meghann’ dish.

Chocolate melting cake with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

Derek had ordered something different and was immediately jealous of mine. I won for the better dessert choice. πŸ˜‰

I would love to say we stayed up taking advantage of the late night activities, but I was fast asleep by 10:30pm. I was wiped and was out like a light as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Can you believe I was the one who wanted to sleep-in and skip the gym this morning, but Derek wouldn’t let me? He has this goal of running at least a mile everyday we’re on the ship. I think it’s his way of combatting all the food we’ll be eating this week. Boys. πŸ˜‰

I obliged and begrudgingly got up with him at 7:00. (usually I’m the one forcing HIM up with the sun!)

We fueled up with toast and jam before heading to the gym.

IMG_4230.JPG IMG_4231.JPG

No running for me this morning. I walked for 20 minutes, then did some deep stretches. My legs aren’t very happy after yesterday’s 17 mile run – they need to recover and loosen up before I start pushing them again.

We did the fancy breakfast in the main dining room.

Lemon poppyseed muffin

IMG_4239.jpg

Oatmeal

Baked apple

Yum πŸ™‚

Pool time!

Complete with slide

Hot tub

And putt putt!

IMG_4265.JPG IMG_4266.JPG

There was some pear nibbling at one point

Followed by lunch in the fancy dining room (I’m a fan of the fancy dining room option – yes, I’m 92 years old and I don’t care πŸ˜‰ )

I like how they start you out with bread every time.

And you don’t have to wait in line for food. You sit, order, and they bring it to you. πŸ™‚

Plus, the sushi and vegetable fajitas were worth it. Probably my two favorite things I’ve had on the ship so far!

We’re taking a siesta before heading back out to enjoy the sun. It’s nice not really having a schedule to stick to – we’re doing our own thing on our own time without any worries. Love it! πŸ™‚

1 Katy (The Singing Runner) October 9, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Looks like you are having so much fun! I SO want to go on a cruise someday!!! And the sunrise picture is gorgeous!

P.S- You are ROCKING that bikini! πŸ™‚
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Fall Into Racing…

2 mindy October 9, 2011 at 3:08 pm

This is making me nostalgic! I took my one and only cruise last year and it was great – that chocolate melting cake is to die for!
mindy recently posted..congratulations, elizabeth and patrick.

3 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas October 9, 2011 at 3:09 pm

It looks like you’re having a blast, Meghann! I’m going on a trip in November and you’ve got me counting the days now!
Carly D. @ CarlyBananas recently posted..Friday Fitness Inspiration

4 Krissie J October 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I was on that same boat when we took our cruise last year. It was a good time over all, but I think I am one and done with Caribbean cruises. I’d much rather have the option to hit the beach every day instead of the few hours we got on two separate days. I’d totally do an Alaskan or Mediterranean cruise though.
Krissie J recently posted..Awesome Arm Workout

5 Sana October 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I love that Derek wants to run everyday! Go him!

6 Liz October 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Your cruise looks majorly fun so far – jealous! I’ve never been on a cruise, but would like to maybe plan one for this coming year. Have you been on any besides Carnival? Oh, and that blue bikini is very cute πŸ˜€

7 Hillary October 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm

You just confirmed every single reason why I want to take a cruise!
Hillary recently posted..Tastes Like Tradition

8 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Oof, I’ve got a cruise coming up in November and you’re stoking me out!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Spoiled Stomach

9 Corey @ Learning Patience October 9, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Looks like you guys are having a blast! Im impressed the internet speed is fast enough to post! πŸ™‚
Enjoy…
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Giving Thanks – Week 16

10 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 9, 2011 at 3:49 pm

holy moly! too much amazingness in that post, i don’t even know where to start? i think i will start with pumpkin pot pie though! sounds amazing… and as if it’s begging to be recreated at home. enjoy the rest of vacation, meghann!!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..E.A.T in ATL

11 Kathleen October 9, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Looks like heaven to me. Glad you are enjoying your well deserved vacation and couple time together.
Kathleen recently posted..17 Day Diet – 2nd Round Cycle 1 Update

12 Lee October 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm

That’s nice that you got along with the other couples at your table. My husband and I went on a cruise 3 years ago and they sat us with one other couple and although they were around our age, they were so boring! It was like pulling teeth to have a conversation with them!
Lee recently posted..October Photography Challenge

13 margo October 9, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I was on Imagination last winter… such a great time!! ENJOY!
PS… they actually CLOSED the gym one day bc the waves were rockin so hard they were afraid of injury…instead all of us crazies went and ran on the deck… hmmm which was safer? πŸ™‚

14 Ali @ Ali Runs October 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Looks like an amazing vacation so far! I’ve never been on a cruise before so I’m living vicariously through you. πŸ™‚ Enjoy!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Perfect Fall Run!

15 Aleyta October 9, 2011 at 5:23 pm

So fun!!! I want to be there!!
Aleyta recently posted..Palm Springs Part 1

16 Marty October 9, 2011 at 6:38 pm

So jealous! Cruises are, hands down, the ultimate vacation. You really unwind, feel like royalty, and come back totally relaxed. Enjoy it!
Marty recently posted..Cap’n Crunch Peanut Butter French Toast

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 9, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Looks like you’re having fun already and enjoying delicious food! Enjoy your rest and relaxation! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

18 tonya October 9, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Hey Girl! Hope you’re having fun!!! Have you lost weight? I haven’t checked in on your blog in a while and you’re looking so good!

19 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 9, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I never thought I’d be one for a cruise, but this looks pretty amazing!

Glad you’re having a good time!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sunday

20 Krystina (Organically Me) October 9, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Yep, it’s decided. I’m forcing my boyfriend to take me on a Carnival cruise.

Continue having a blast!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..My Favorite At-Home Yoga Podcasts: Part I

21 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm

ahh that sounds so relaxing! Haha a little different than the cruise I went on though. I went Junior year of college with some of my sorority sisters…
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Tourist for a Day

22 Army Amy* October 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Looks like your vacay is off to a great start!*
Army Amy* recently posted..These are my people

23 Laura October 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I have the Cartman version of “Come Sail Away” on my running playlist πŸ™‚
Laura recently posted..Quick trip to Astoria

24 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 9, 2011 at 8:49 pm

So totally jealous! I hope you’re having an absolutely amazing time!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Tuna Casserole and a 6 Mile Run

25 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm

This is making want to go on a cruise! I love the fancy dining option too. I made my friends go with me every meal on our senior yr spring break. The food is too good to pass up!
Keep relaxing and enjoying!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin protein pancakes

26 BroccoliHut October 9, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Whoa! AMAZING post! I read every single word–I am definitely living vicariously through you on your fab cruise:) Can’t wait to hear more about it!!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Make It or Buy It?

27 Deva @ Deva by Definition October 9, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I have never been on a cruise before – it looks like you are having a blast!
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Friday Five

28 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 9, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Oh wow!! This looks fun!! I’ve never been on a cruise but have always wanted to….and this is confirming that.

HAVE a great time relaxing and enjoying time away from major life responsibilities πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Week Exhaustion

29 Nicole October 9, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I love the cruise pictures! Looks like so much fun!! πŸ™‚
Nicole recently posted..FroYo and Groceries

30 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 9, 2011 at 10:19 pm

You are ROCKING that itsy bitsy bikini girl! Love your foodie photos – I’m FEELIN’ that baked apple for breakfast. Cruise on with yo badself!
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Blogger Bake Sale!

31 Chuck October 10, 2011 at 1:15 am

I’m so jealous. Our family is trying to schedule a vacation right now- any thoughts on doing (a) a cruise, or (b) all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic? Lol, I’ve never had a “real” vacation like that
Chuck recently posted..β€œRacing Weight”- My take

32 peony October 10, 2011 at 1:37 am

that picture of u both at the table is beautiful πŸ™‚ lovely pic!

peony xx

33 Caitlin October 10, 2011 at 7:52 am

you should also include what derek ate at dinners, etc. I love looking at the variety in cruise ship meals!!

34 Hope October 10, 2011 at 8:15 am

Looks like you are having a great time on the cruise! πŸ™‚ I’m jealous. I went on a cruise back in high school with choir. We had a competition on the boat. I couldn’t really enjoy it all that much since I was with school. I definitely want to take a cruise again. It seems like fun!
Hope recently posted..A Weekend In Review & Feeling Confused…

35 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine October 10, 2011 at 8:34 am

Aw, looks like you’re having a blast Meghann. πŸ™‚ The food looks yummy. Have a great time!!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

36 Anne October 10, 2011 at 10:06 am

Ahhh, I think that we got the melting chocolate cake and ice cream several times. It’s a great go to on the dessert menu! Another way that we avoided gaining weight on the cruise, was that we never (not once!) took the elevator. I might have learned that from you actually.
Anne recently posted..Training has gone to the dogs

37 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 10, 2011 at 10:43 am

I am sooooo jealous. Have a delicious time.

38 allison @ thesundayflog October 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

ahhhhhhh FUN! i loved my cruise, and yes – we ate in the dining room every night! i also got the escargot. haha i would never order that somewhere else, but for some reason on a carnival cruise it was fine. this makes me miss our trip soo badly πŸ™‚ have a great rest of the week!
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..Sunday Dinner: Oktoberfest and Mexican Salads

39 melissa October 10, 2011 at 10:59 am

You’re looking smokin hot in that bikini!

The cruise looks fun, enjoy your vacay!!!
melissa recently posted..Resting Up

40 Emily@SavoryandSavage October 10, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I have never been on a cruise but you make it look like tons of fun. I would love the opportunity to try different foods every night that I don’t have to cook:-)

Have fun on your vacation!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Perfect lunch

41 Christie October 10, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Looks amazing…I’m so jealous!!
Christie recently posted..Motivational Monday

42 Shaun @ snackasaurusrex October 10, 2011 at 6:15 pm

The idea of limitless food on a cruise has always scared me. Would I be able to handle all that deliciousness…prolly not!

Sounds like a dream though…hope you enjoy thoroughly!
Shaun @ snackasaurusrex recently posted..The Sweet Stuff: Conculsion

43 Sophie October 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm

What an impressive sunset! I love your black dress πŸ™‚ Enjoy the rest of yur trip, Meghann!
Sophie recently posted..Before You Were Mine.

44 Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect October 13, 2011 at 11:02 am

Sounds like a great trip! I’m glad that the weather has cooperated for you so far. I’ve never been on a cruise, but I’ve heard great things. I hope to go on one sometime in the near future. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

45 Grace Kennington @ Eat Sweat Sing May 16, 2012 at 11:56 am

I know it has been 7 months since this post, but my husband and I are cruising next week on this exact same boat! I was wondering if the gym was free or if you had to pay extra to use the facilities? When we booked, we never saw anything about paying to use it, but I wanted to ask you because you’ve actually been on the same boat! Thanks! πŸ™‚
Grace Kennington @ Eat Sweat Sing recently posted..I’m Baaaaaack!

46 Meghann May 16, 2012 at 2:50 pm

The use of the gym was free, but if you want to take any classes they are at an addition cost. Have fun!!!