Back on the Wagon

by Meghann on October 3, 2011

After a 2.5 week half ironman induced hiatus, I jumped back on the New Rules of Lifting For Women bandwagon this morning.

I picked right back up in the middle of Stage 3 and I could tell it had been a while since I lifted weights. All of a sudden 40 lbs felt heavier than it did previously and I wasn’t quite ready to add anything else on. It was a challenge, but in a good way. My arms needed a good wake up call and they got it.

I’m still determined as ever to see The New Rules of Lifting plan through to the end, even if it means taking extended breaks here and there. This is only stage 3 of 8, plenty of room to continue to grow. :)

Before I dove back into NROLFW, I started my morning at the gym with a 25 minute walk on the treadmill at a 5.0 incline. Just a little cardio to loosen up my legs and warm up my body.

Post-gym breakfast included a cinnamon pumpkin fiesta.

• 1/2 cup Cinnamon Quaker Squares
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Cheerios
  • 1/2 cup Good Run Granola
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Apple
  • Honey Peanut Butter
  • Lots of Cinnamon

This weekend was deliciously relaxing. From discovering a self-serve beer bar, to my breakfast party, to the beautiful weather, and even a disappointing 15 mile run – it was nice to just stay put for a couple of days.

I hope everyone else’s weekends were just as relaxing and the feeling crosses over into the work week (fingers crossed)!

Happy Monday!

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 3, 2011 at 9:41 am

I think we’re in the same place now with NROLFW. Just finished my second 3B workout last night. I like this stage a lot :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon training week 3

2 mary October 3, 2011 at 9:45 am

good for you to get right on the lifting bandwagon again! That’s something I need to start doing…. blech.
mary recently posted..Monday Mini Goals

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

Glad to see you’re back into the weights Meghann! And yes, my weekend was pretty relaxing too. Sometimes, they’re the best kind! Have a great Monday!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..5 Goals for October

4 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 3, 2011 at 9:54 am

A nice walk sounds fantastic. Do you have a robot who could do my chores for me?
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..I Want To Make Out With A Jack-O-Lantern

5 Meghann October 3, 2011 at 10:20 am

I’m still looking for a robot to do my chores for me. I’ll let you know when I find one.

6 Britt @ runwithbritt October 3, 2011 at 10:04 am

Yahoo for great weight workouts! The next day soreness from lifting has got to bs one of the best feelings ever! I wish my weekend was as relaxing as yours. Mine was filled with four chapters of reading and analyzing some case studies. Not fun haha.
Britt @ runwithbritt recently posted..Marathon Training Week 12 Recap

7 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 3, 2011 at 10:07 am

I have a good feeling about this wk! Maybe it’s the crisp, fall weather, but I’m thinking the good wkend vibes will continue through to next wkend. :-)
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Easy Sunday

8 Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 3, 2011 at 10:10 am

I had my first weight session in 2 weeks yesterday because of a race and boy did it hurt! Satisfyingly sore today :)
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Ode to Oats

9 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 3, 2011 at 11:12 am

Wow for some reason I didn’t think there were 8 stages to the NROLFW… So excited to see how they finish out!

10 Sana October 3, 2011 at 11:25 am

I need to hit the weights…… my arms need some toneage!
Sana recently posted..Brown Boy Life

11 Cait's Plate October 3, 2011 at 11:41 am

I just got Quaker Oatmeal Squares myself and have been munching on them like crazy – there really is no better cereal! I’m so impressed by your wherewithal to continue to challenge yourself athletically – it’s awe-inspiring to read about!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..It’s In the Details

12 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 3, 2011 at 12:18 pm

what a great morning! i dove back into strength training after a few week hiatus and am feeling it this morning!! that 2 day after soreness is brutal!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..one of those mornings.

13 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Now that sounds like a nice relaxing morning! I love that you’re lifting. :)
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..Pumpkin Protein Waffles

14 Deva @ Deva by Definition October 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I just switched over to NROLW stage 4. I did the whole plan from start to finish 3 years ago and LOVED the results I got. It’s fun to redo it after a while :-)
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Dentist + Date Night

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 3, 2011 at 12:44 pm

AHHH I love the feeling of a good weights sesh! :) Glad you get to come back to it.

Your b-fast look simply delicious and fantastic!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Do What You Love

16 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Congratulations on getting back on the weight wagon!! You’re doing great!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Weekend Recap: October Style

17 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I love that you mix cereals together. I only buy one at a time. I need to jump on this bandwagon ASAP.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Goodbye

18 Samantha @ Samantha in Training October 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I need to weight life more! I was debating whether to join Crossfit or get a personal trainer for a few months but the whole money thing during the holiday season wouldn’t work out so well for me.

I have a big race this Sunday so I ‘tried’ to get a lot of running in on the weekend but I failed… life happens I guess! I plan on my last long run today and then a bunch of short runs every other day until Sunday. EHK! I wish I was a morning person so I could have it taken care of already.
Samantha @ Samantha in Training recently posted..Hello world!

19 Samantha @ Samantha in Training October 3, 2011 at 1:44 pm

*Weight lift haha opps… I need to spell check before my comments!!!
Samantha @ Samantha in Training recently posted..Hello world!

20 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 3, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Weight lifting is the funniest thing. One time I took a month off while going home for Christmas and actually came back feeling stronger than when I left! And other times, I’ve had to give it up for a week or two and felt like I had lost so much strength. Bet it feels good to be lifting again, though!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Recovery blues