more ยป" />

My Tummy Didn’t Like That Run

by Meghann on October 2, 2011

Well, that blew.

Ugh.

Don’t ask me what I was thinking when I decided to attempt 15 miles a week after my half ironman. My legs fooled me into believing they were awesome and could do this. Lies, all lies. My head convinced me that I have a full marathon in month and I needed to do this. Lies, all lies. And my body fooled me by not showing a single sign of the trouble I was about the encounter halfway through my run. Lies, all lies.

The 15 miles started out great – perfect weather, beautiful running location (gotta love Bayshore), yummy pre-run snack of pumpkin bread, etc – but it all went down from there. I blame mile 8 – when my tummy started messing with me – and mile 10 – when I stopped for a potty break and discovered I had an unexpected monthly visitor – my morale was pretty shot from there.

Mile 10 was where my head gave up and the rest of my body soon followed. I needed two more potty breaks and the thought of drinking any more of the gatorade in my water bottle made me want to gag. If I was anywhere near my car at this point, I would have gone straight to it and driven home. I was done.

It was slow. It was painful. But I eventually finished all 15 miles.

I wanted a big cookie and a pint of ice cream when I finished (some midol and a heating pad wouldn’t have hurt either) , but I settled on some leftover french toast for breakfast.

I reheated the left over french toast under the broiler and they came out nice and crispy. I topped them with left over fruit salad, vanilla yogurt, and granola.

Get in my belly!

I think I need a couple of hours to recover from my run and reset my mental mindset. The mix of PMS + a bad run is enough to do a girl in. Not a great combination.

Maybe I’ll seek out that cookie I had my heart set on earlier. That should help. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Michelle October 2, 2011 at 11:51 am

That sucks about your run! I’ve had many like that and usually ended up just walkig the rest of the way.
Michelle recently posted..Hiking in France

2 Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle October 2, 2011 at 11:53 am

Power to ya for running 15 miles (or any miles really) with aunt flo! You deserve as many cookies as you want! Ha.
Nancy @ Beyoutiful Fitstyle recently posted..In the Breakfast Nook

3 mary October 2, 2011 at 11:56 am

Mile 8 always seems to be the marker for me in runs where things start to falter. I remember training for my first half marathon, I was visiting my Aunt in DC and was running from her house to Mt. Vernon. Of course I had tummy troubles 8 miles in and had to … *ahem* poo in the woods.. because of COURSE it was before 8am and nothing was open and I was on a trail. You do what you have to do.

hug that heating pad tight and eat some pumpkin ice cream. that cures all period woes ๐Ÿ™‚
mary recently posted..October Goals

4 Sweet and Savvy October 2, 2011 at 11:57 am

You poor thing! ๐Ÿ™ I think you deserve a very relaxing Sunday after that run!
Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Pumpkin Pie for Breakfast

5 Army Amy* October 2, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Few things are worse than getting “Aunt Flo” mid-run. High five for pushing through.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Tyler Rose: 8 Mile Training Run

6 Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT October 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I can’t believe you wanted to get 15 miles in so soon! You’re nuts girl! I ran on Saturday with a girl that had just done a full Ironman, 70.3, and she said her bones ached at the end of our 12 mile run. Take it easy! You deserved some rest. ๐Ÿ™‚
Courtney @ The Petite AthlEAT recently posted..12 Miles of Poo

7 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups October 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Way to finish the run despite your tummy issues!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Lime

8 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Oh yikes, that sounds brutal.. That mind game happens to me all the time though w running haha which is probs why I’m always an injured hot mess. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..How to assemble a care package

9 Rachel October 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I had a bad (short) run this morning. I fell at the very end, just when I decided “oh I’ve gone 3.7 I’ll just round it out to 4” *BOOM* flat on the pavement. I’ve been in tears on and off ever since.
Rachel recently posted..Dear Sara,

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I am sorry to hear about that…but at least you DID the 15 miles! That is awesome ๐Ÿ˜‰

11 Ida October 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

A 15 miler the week after a half ironman sounds brutal! I am sure cookies and an ice bath will help a lot though.
Ida recently posted..on Banditing

12 Tania @ The Health Macadamia October 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Ugh, I totally know the feeling – sounds like my two short runs this weekend. 28 minutes for two miles! Even my slow ass can do better!
Tania @ The Health Macadamia recently posted..Recommit

13 Sara @ RunnerWife October 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

That is pretty quick to get back into a 15 mile run, but we all have bad days! You will kick butt on your next run!
Sara @ RunnerWife recently posted..Lazy Saturday

14 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 2, 2011 at 2:24 pm

That for real sucks. Sorry you had such a hard run!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..scenes from saturday

15 Sana October 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Aunt Flo is a biotchhh!
Sana recently posted..Study Food

16 Christine @ BookishlyB October 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm

It’s been scientifically proven that cookies solve 99% of life’s problems.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..September Reviews- Bastard Alert

17 Sophie October 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Well done for getting your run done anyway! That scenery looks beautiful ๐Ÿ™‚
Sophie recently posted..Clarks Village.

18 kathleen @ the daily crumb October 2, 2011 at 6:11 pm

good for you for sticking with it!! i probably would have called it a day after the bathroom break.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..a chilly green morning.

19 Corey @ Learning Patience October 2, 2011 at 6:34 pm

i think you deserve that cookie – maybe even three cookies!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Giving Thanks – Week 15

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I can’t believe you were able to keep running despite all of those complications … more power to you! I had a bad day of running a couple of weeks ago, and I ended up boo-hooing around mile 2 and stopping haha. Pathetic. ๐Ÿ˜›
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Reflecting on September and “Whatcha Reading?”

21 carrie October 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm

girl, you’re a champ for knocking out 15 miles under such circumstances. I struggled with 6 today!

22 Jennifer October 2, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I WISH I could run 15 miles in 2:27. You did great! I ran 2:27 in my half marathon last week. So see… you could be a WHOLE LOT SLOWER… you could run like a slug, like me!! ha ha

23 Ali @ Ali Runs October 2, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I can’t believe you ran 15 miles the week after completing a HIM! You are crazy girl ๐Ÿ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Ramon Rocha 5k Race Recap

24 Hilary October 2, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Blegh! So sorry to hear about such a yucky run! But if it makes you feel any better, I am so slow that even your “slow, painful” time for 15 miles was faster than I would do at my best!
Hilary recently posted..Sum it up Sunday 2011/10/02

25 Nicole October 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm

You needed a movie and a blanket!
Nicole recently posted..Oh boy

26 Jessica October 3, 2011 at 9:12 am

If it’s any consolation, my period started in the middle of my Half Ironman yesterday. Confession: I ignored it until I finished. Luckily nobody could tell….

27 Meghann October 3, 2011 at 9:45 am

I probably would have ignored it too. As long as you’re wearing black pants I don’t think anyone could tell either.

28 Cait's Plate October 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

Way to stick with it! I definitely would’ve given up, haha. I guess that’s what makes you an Ironman and me not!! ๐Ÿ™‚

That breakfast looks AWESOME – that’s my kinda way to eat french toast!

29 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes October 3, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Your slow is my sprint ๐Ÿ™‚
Nice job finishing. That’s all that counts right now!!!

Happy Monday!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 900

30 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday October 4, 2011 at 8:41 am

Oh man, that sounds awful. It’s the worst when you’re trying to run with an upset stomach (especially when you are stuck in the run and have no choice but to finish it!).