more ยป" />

What Comes After 70.3?

by Meghann on September 29, 2011

140.6! Duh!

1406decal.JPG

Just kidding. Sort of.

As soon as I finished my first half marathon a couple of years ago, the first question out of everyone’s lips was “So, when you running that full?” I would always smile – not quite sure how to respond – and say “Not yet!”

The same thing happened after I crossed the finish line on Sunday. “So, when you running that full 140.6?” Cue the smile and “Not yet!”

If you would have asked me before my first half marathon if I would ever run a full, I would have probably said no. Training for 13.1 miles was tough, the thought of doubling that distance seemed crazy. Then I ran the race and all of a sudden the idea of running 26.2 miles didn’t seem impossible, in fact, it seemed possible.

I registered for my first marathon a month later. Apparently it takes a while for that runner’s high to wear off.

Again, the same went with my half ironman. Before the race the idea of a full ironman seemed out of reach. Here I was struggling to train for 56 miles on the bike, how would I do 112? Double the distance would be double the work, double the time, and double the pain.

Then race day came. I spoke with dozens of triathletes who had already completed 140.6 and lived to tell the tale. They were all different shapes and sizes, different speeds and strengths, and different training and race day stories to tell. I was amazed and began to believe that I could do this.

Crossing the finish line I knew without a doubt that a full ironman was possible. It’s amazing how it just takes accomplishing one major event for us to believe in ourselves and believe we can do anything. Again, that darn runner’s high.

However, there’s a difference between “I believe I can do this” and “I’m going to sign up tomorrow.” Hold your horses! I’m going to have to stick with my standard response ‘Not yet!’ for now.

Triathlon races are just a tad (er… very) time consuming. They’re also pricy (for both race cost and equipment), require two-a-day training, and mentally drain you. When I do train for my full Ironman (one day!) I want to give it my all, but I’m not ready to dive back into that quite yet.

So, I’m going back to my first love (running) for a while. Who knows what 2012 or 2013 will bring? A full ironman? Maybe, but I’m not ready to commit just yet.

Until then I have a few races lined up to distract me.

Savannah Full Marathon (November 5th)

50436_136836716357179_2788_n.jpg

I registered for this race back in April. I’m not quite sure what I was thinking there. A full marathon a little more than a month after my first HIM? Ha. Good one.

I’ve trained for back-to-back marathons before and survived, so I’m going to treat training for this race in the same light. If at any point I don’t feel like I’m ready, then I’ll drop to the half. No big deal. I also don’t plan to run this race with any time intentions. I’m running for fun with my little brother. We’ll push through this together. :)

Las Vegas Half Marathon (December 4th)

RNR Las Vegas logo.jpeg

I’m SUPER excited about this one! I haven’t been to Vegas since I was 12 and running the strip at night sounds like the perfect way to re-introduce myself to it.

I’ll be in Vegas that weekend for The Urban Running: Blogger Summit and will be representing Attune Foods throughout the summit – and on race day – with Anne P. Expect us to take nothing seriously on the course and take lots of goofy ‘we’re running Vegas!’ photos. Running while intoxicated may be a possibility. Kidding. Sort of.

Anyone else doing Savannah or Vegas?!

I had a fantastic nacho salad for lunch today.

• Mixed Greens
  • Blue Corn Chips
  • Black Beans
  • Corn
  • Salsa
  • Plain Yogurt

I mixed the corn, black beans, and salsa together for the nacho topping. I picked the chips (+dip) out by hand and ate the rest of the salad with a fork. :)

Good eats, now back to work.

Have a great day!

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 29, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I thought the 140.6 might be your answer! LOL! I totally admire you for constantly setting the bar higher for yourself Meghann. Good luck training for Rock & Roll and Savannah. I’m sure they’ll feel like a piece of cake!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..September Goal Check-In

2 Michelle September 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I want to do Vegas so badly! It’s not far from where I go to school and how fun would it be do run the strip?! However, it’s also the week before finals. Boo. :(

3 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 29, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I don’t like Las Vegas, but I have to admit that running the strip at night sounds very cool. Now I have to look into that race.

I’m seriously thinking about doing Disney in January if I can convince any of my friends to come with me. You wouldn’t think that getting people to come to Disney World would be like pulling teeth!

4 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 29, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I’m pretty sure I’m going to do Vegas! It’s a pricey entry fee though! Just out of curiosity—I couldn’t really tell from their Web site–do you know if any of the entry fee money goes to charity or anything?
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Wine Tasting in Santa Barbara

5 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I’m not sure. Usually Rock n Roll races partner with a charity for their races though. Oh wait – just found it! http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/las-vegas/charity

6 Rae September 29, 2011 at 2:29 pm

lol, good call. While I have no doubt you can do 140.6, you might want to bone up on swimming and running a bit more first…it usually takes 7-9 months to train for an IM, and its quite $$$, especially if you do an M Dot race or travel! I did IMLP and it was super fun, but hard :-P I can see it in 2012 or 2013 though….way to go!!!
Rae recently posted..Ironman or Irondistance?

7 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Yeah, I know it’s a BIG commitment that I fully intend to dedicate myself to in the future, just not yet. :)

8 Cait's Plate September 29, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Oooh I bet Savannah will be a beautiful marathon. I think Julie at PBFingers is doing that one, isn’t she?!

You’re going to be doing ultra-marathons like in Born to Run before we know it!! It completely blows my mind and is SO awesome that people can actually do stuff like that!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Worth Writing About

9 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I’ve done an ultra marathon before and would LOVE to do another one! Ultra-marathons are super laid back and FUN, maybe next Spring?! ;)

10 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I totally thought you were serious on that one! I bet you will eventually do it too :)

I love half-marathon distances, so I bet the Vegas one would be super fun. how cool you get to do that one! That rocks, girl!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Boredom Eating + Thankful Thursday

11 Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com September 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I’m going to be in Vegas that weekend on business! I had considered signing up for the RNR half but the price tag is a little steep. I can only afford 1 “super expensive” HM per season & this time around its the Disney Princess. But I just might find myself on the sidelines cheering!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..Comment on A Little R&R by Theresa

12 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm

The Disney Princess is fun! And RNR races are a little redic with the price! The trick is to register for them at race expos when they’re super discounted (so, they’re $ instead of $$) ;)

13 Tami September 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I have done 2 half iron,and and have no desire to do a full, lots of my friends have done the full ironman and I have no desire to do one…10 friends started AND finished lake placid, it was awesome to watch buti want no part of it

14 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Not even a little desire to do a full? ;) Lake Placid is insane! Major KUDOS to your friends!

15 Jen September 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm

If you have a chance, go and watch an Ironman – it’ll convince you to sign up for one! That’s what happened to me. :)

16 Anne P. September 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Vegas or bust!!!

17 Deva @ Deva by Definition September 29, 2011 at 2:42 pm

No races for me right now. I’m content, but I may sign up for a 5k in November before Thanksgiving!
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..#fitblog: Makin Time to Sweat!

18 Olivia September 29, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I’m doing Vegas! I just graduated in August and training for the half is my attempt at trying to lose some of that college weight. So far so good though! It’s my first race so I’m a bit nervous but reading your blog and others really helps keep me motivated! Who knows, maybe once I get this running thing down, I’ll venture into the world of triathlons. You never know….

19 Tara September 29, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I’ll be running Savannah! It will be my 4th marathon and for several of my friends running it will be their first! Good luck, maybe I will see you there!

20 Christy September 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I’m doing Vegas too! My first half marathon and I am super nervous/excited. I’ve done sprint triathlons but never this much running! I am looking forward to seeing all the women behind the blogs I read. It will be a star studded event. I kinda feel like a groupie!

21 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 29, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I’m so jealous of all you guys running the Vegas half at the conference, that sounds like so much fun!
It’s funny b/c I think I’m the only one who after my first half had absolutely NO desire to do a full. In fact, I even said I’d never do a half again (I lied, I’m signed up for Philly in Nov.)
A full IM sounds so time consuming but also how freakin cool would it be to say you did a full!?
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Food from the past

22 Mia September 29, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I guess every runner or triathlete has different goals, but my priority is always to get better and faster at one event before I move on to the next distance. Fo example, I didn’t sign up for a full marathon until I broke 1:40 in the half. Why not work on breaking 6 hours in the half ironman before moving on to the full?
I know some people are content with just crossing the finishing line, but wouldn’t you be even MORE content crossing the finish line with a kickass time???

23 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm

If that were the case, then I would still be running nothing, but 5ks. :) I think I’m a distance junkie, I like piling on the miles and seeing how I can go, instead of how fast. I went from my first half marathon to my first ultra-marathon in the span of 14 months. It wasn’t until I ran the ultra (and got that out of my system) that I went back and tried to get my marathon time down. I’ll probably do the 140.6 once, get it out of my way, then go back to focusing on time for 70.3. But, who knows? I could change my mind tomorrow on this one. :)

24 Lara September 29, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I completely 100% agree with Mia on this one. I don’t really do races just for fun. I mean they are fun, but they are also races, like the name implies. I wouldn’t do a race until I knew I could finish in a decently fast time and then I would work on that one. I’m going on marathon #5 and I’ve qualified for Boston and NYC marathons, now I’m seeing how much faster I can get. I wouldn’t do an ultra unless I knew I could finish a marathon well under 4:00. I wouldn’t do an Ironman unless I knew I could finish a half iron in well under 6:00 as to hopefully finish the full in 13. My bf did a full Ironman and the training was really insane. I guess if you’re shooing for 16-17 hours it wouldn’t be so bad, but still. I think it’s one thing to just tackle the distance for the hell of it, but it’s quite another to really race it and finish with a kickass time, as Mia says :)

25 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 29, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I’m doing both! (Savannah full, Vegas half) See you there!
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..On My Mind

26 mel September 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm

don’t you ever just want to relax and workout just for fun instead of training? I love having an open schedule to lift, run, swim whenever I want to and not have to stick to some plan. Just wondering! To each her own

27 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I hate it! That’s how I was this spring and I felt so lost not having a plan! I find I’m less likely to work out if I don’t have a goal attached to it. I’m jealous of those who can just go to go though! :)

28 Maria September 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Woah, that salad looks amazing! I’ll have to try it out! I would LOVE to run the Las Vegas RnR 1/2 marathon. The thought of running the strip at night is very awesome. I’m going to make up my mind in the next few weeks!

29 Jess September 29, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I ran my first half marathon a few weeks ago and I keep hearing the same thing. Even though I trained for and completed that I’m still not sure a full is for me, but you never know what could happen in the future.
Jess recently posted..Presents!

30 Barbara September 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I just finished Ironman Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago…and I have to say if you’re already thinking about doing 140.6 some day I know that you’ll be able to! I absolutely LOVED it. I’d like to sign up again in 2 or 3 years. As far as advice on when to do an Ironman, I have to say that it needs to be your full time focus for almost 9 months. You need to have the time and the money to commit to it, because, given how expensive and demanding is, you want to do it right. It sounds like you have a great outlook on it: you want to do one, but it also seems like you understand the dedication (and sacrifices) that they require.
I guess the bottom line is 140.6 is even sweeter than 70.3 (and don’t get me wrong those feel amazing!!!), and I know that when you decide to do one you’ll be ready. You learn so much about yourself during the whole training process, and it’s worth every minute.

31 Katy (The Singing Runner) September 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I’ll be in Savannah…well maybe. I’m signed up for the half but I am coming off a stress fracture so I’m not sure yet. I may end up running part of it and then walking the rest.

We’ll see how this weekend goes. I’m doing Wine and Dine Relay and I’m doing the 8.3 mi leg… I haven’t ran more than a 5K in 2 months so there will be LOTS of walking!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..The Beginning Of The End…

32 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 3:26 pm

booo to stress fractures! The relay exchange was where I volunteered last year! Sort of wish I was running this weekend! Have fun!

33 Margaret September 29, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Just to tempt you- Up in the white mountains of new hampshire there is a race called the inferno at tuckermine ravine (mt Washington) that consists of: 8.3 mile run, 6 mile kayak, 18 mile bike, 3 mile hike and concludes with 1 mile skiing. Something different! http://www.friendsoftuckerman.org/2011-Inferno-Handbook4.pdf

34 Kimra September 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Uh-oh. Vegas isn’t sold out. And I was looking for a late-November/early-December half. And that’s an easy flight for me. Uh-oh.
Kimra recently posted..Kitchen Failure Hall of Fame: Shrimp Cakes

35 Belinda September 29, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Your nacho salad looks really yummy! You’re amazing for doing the 70.3. Revel in it for a bit :)

36 Sara September 29, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Looking forward to your review of the Savannah race… I’m thinking of doing the 1/2 next year. I’ve ran a couple of the RNR races and like the atmosphere (Va Beach x2, Nashville x1, Philly x8). I live in Philly, so do the local race to keep the cost down, but it’s nice to take a mini vacation and do a race while I’m there!

37 Heather September 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Running the Vegas 1/2, excited for it!

38 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I think it’s a good idea to NOT sign up for a race right after you complete a major one! I was so excited after my first half marathon that I signed up for my first full within days. I was ready for it when the time came, but I wish I had waited- I got really burnt out on running!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..WIAW and Weird Search Terms

39 Hillary September 29, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Just the thought of a full Ironman exhausts me! Go get ‘em, girl.
Hillary recently posted..Outside the Box

40 Stacy @ Stacy Eats September 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I’ll be in Savannah doing the half!!
Stacy @ Stacy Eats recently posted..Rise Earlier, Sun

41 Cristina September 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I’m doing the SAV 1/2. It’s my first. I’m super excited!

42 mary September 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I wanted to run Vegas SO badly this year but it is sooooo darn $$$!
mary recently posted..Run Club: My Thoughts

43 Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland September 29, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I’ll be running the Vegas Half! Hope to see you there!!
Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland recently posted..Fitspiration Abs Edition

44 Erin September 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I really wanted to do Savannah because I’ll take any excuse to visit that city again, but it didn’t work out for me timing-wise. However, I am signed up to do the full in Vegas but may drop to the half. Their ridiculous time limit of 4:30 for the full course is a little intimidating!
Erin recently posted..Pick Up

45 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 29, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I have similar thoughts re doing a full Ironman one day. Although, for now, I am focusing on my pregnancy lol. One day perhaps!!!

46 tracey September 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I’m doing Vegas!! Woot woot!! And yes, running intoxicated is a major possibility…. :)

47 Shannon @ A Pinch of Ginger September 29, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I am running the half in Savannah!! Could we do a blogger meet up?:)

48 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 29, 2011 at 6:17 pm

vegas is on my bucket list. i can’t even imagine the experience of running a marathon at night! so fun.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..looking forward.

49 Alaina September 29, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Whoa, a full Ironman would be wicked impressive! I’m just thinking about getting into sprint tri’s. We’ll see. :-)

The two races look like a lot of fun. Running Vegas at night? I would have fun with that race too.
Alaina recently posted..Apple Picking 2011

50 Lee September 29, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I was going to do Savannah but my husband couldn’t get the weekend off work (he’s a tv news producer and works weekends).

Vegas sounds awesome. I just went there for the first time this month. Running on the strip would be so much fun.
Lee recently posted..Off the [Diet Coke] Sauce

51 Macrae September 29, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Woop Woop for Savannah Full! This is my first and I’m trying to stay positive…running a half this weekend to see where I am speed-wise, but I think it will be fun too. I haven’t gotten a hotel yet for Savannah, but hopefully something will work out, I wouldn’t miss it for anything!

52 Christine @ BookishlyB September 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I’m doing the Vegas one! Strip at night baby ;)
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Hate the Player, Not the Game

53 Meghan R September 29, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I’m doing the 1/2 in Savannah! Super excited :)

54 Ida September 29, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I’m sure it will be nice to have a break from the multi-sport training. Both of your up coming races look really fun. I ran Vegas before it turned into a night race. I want to go back and check out the new version.
Ida recently posted..Some More

55 Cat Melnyk September 29, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Um. #1 – lets pick another 70.3 next year to do together :) #2 – New Zealand or Florida IM 2013?? Maybe?? #3 – the salad you made is one of my favorites… Make it all the time, sometimes add sweet potato & cajun seasoning, throw it in a wrap mmmmmm.
Cat Melnyk recently posted..Veggiesaurus

56 Meghann September 29, 2011 at 9:14 pm

#1 Heck yeah! #2 New Zealand? I guess if we’re going to do a IM better go big or go home ;) #3 Salad es amazing.

57 Ali @ Ali Runs September 29, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I would love to run the Savannah Marathon! Savannah is such a pretty place, I can’t wait to read your recap! :) Good luck with your training!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..My name is Ali and I am a horrible decision maker.

58 Carla @ Will Run for Health September 29, 2011 at 9:53 pm

After seeing that meal, I’m now craving corn. I also agree that you have to get over the shock and accept the fact that you body is capable of way more than you give it credit for before you can sign up for a FULL IRON MAN!
Carla @ Will Run for Health recently posted..My Break Up with Weight Watchers…

59 Aron September 29, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’m registered for Vegas!!! Excited to see you there :)

60 Kiah September 29, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Sounds fair enough to give yourself a pat on the back and take a few breaths before jumping in for the next physical challenge :-)
Kiah recently posted..an autobiographical era

61 Laura @ Backstage Balance September 29, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Uh oh! You’ve been bitten by the full ironman bug :-) how exciting!
Though I’ve had a tough time training for my marathon that’s this weekend, I know that deep down I love it and will probably do a spring one as well.
As for Vegas… How awesome that you’ll be there and at the blogger conference! I’ve been wanting to register for both but have been holding off. Great to know that you and Anne will be there, it seems like it will be a really fun conference!
Side note re: running while intoxicated… I did that for a 5k this summer and PR’d… Haha!
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..Pikes Peak Challenge 2011, Part 1: Pre-hike travel

62 Liz September 30, 2011 at 2:09 am

I’ve never run a half or full marathon, but after hearing several people mention recently that they were running Vegas, I think that would be the perfect place for a first! The idea of running the strip at night sounds awesome :)

63 Rebecca September 30, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I’m doing Savannah, too! It’s my second half and I’m doing a training program with a store here in Columbia. So much better running with friends! I’m so excited! :)

64 Amy September 30, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I’m doing the Vegas full! It’ll be my first marathon. I’ve done several halves and a couple of 70.3′s. I’m a little nervous about the full, though! Congrats on your recent 70.3 achievement :-).
Amy recently posted..GU: A multi-purpose tool

65 bobbi October 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I ll be doing Vegas too!!! I am so sad you will not be at the Foodbuzz fest! But excited to hear about the Savannah race!

66 Shannon October 11, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I will be at the Savannah Half! My very first half and I am SUPER pumped!