Feeling Tight

by Meghann on September 27, 2011

Stttrrreeettcchhhhhh

My legs are TIGHT today. Very, very tight. My flexibility has gone down to zero and the idea of touching my toes sounds like a big cruel joke. The best I have right now is leaning over and simply waving at my toes. Hello, toes! You’re looking good down there!

I had a serious session with my foam roller this morning that brought be to tears – Hurt. So. Good - and a mile walk with Maddie that really loosened my legs up. Besides the tight muscles, the rest of my body seems to be recovering smoothly. I have big plans for a flow yoga class the this afternoon, the perhaps a light run tomorrow. :)

I did a little experimenting in the kitchen this morning for an article I’m working on.

The results were better than I expected, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to keep the recipe under wraps for now.

Trust me. It’s good. ;)

Funny Story

On Sunday my plan was to wear my swim watch from the start and have it be my all-sport timer for the race. Once out of the water I was going to wear my Garmin for my bike and running portions of the tri to track my pace for the two events.

I stashed the Garmin in my bike shoe and slipped it on during T1 without giving it a second thought. I did notice that the velcro strap didn’t stretch as far around my wrist as it normally does, but I assumed that was just because I was wearing it a little higher on my arm.

The Garmin knocked my swim watch a little bit during the bike portion, but nothing major. In T2 I switched the sport on the Garmin to run and checked it constantly as I tracked mine and Kelly’s 3 minute run and 30 second walk status. The watch did what it was supposed to do and I was so happy I made the extra effort to strap it on during transition.

It wasn’t until AFTER I crossed the finish line and gave my little brother a big hug that he pointed out something was wrong.

Ummm….. turns out I did all 56 miles on the bike and 13.1 miles on the run with my charger STILL attached to my Garmin!! If you thought the Garmin was bulky before, well you have no idea how bulky it can get! ;)

We all had a big laugh about it and were all shocked I never noticed it during any portion of my race. That just goes to show that your mind really is elsewhere when you’re focused on a goal – everything else sort of tunes out and doesn’t matter. ;)

1 Katy (The Singing Runner) September 27, 2011 at 9:54 am

Ha! That is too funny!!! Just goes to show how bulky the watch really is!!!
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..Am I Getting Old?

2 Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 27, 2011 at 9:54 am

I’m convinced the foam roller has magical powers. Glad you’re feeling mostly good! :)

3 Chloe (In Fine Feather) September 27, 2011 at 9:55 am

Guess you were just too focused on kicking serious butt on your first 1/2 IM!

You should treat yourself to a massage to work out your sore muscles, you definitely deserve it :)
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..MIA

4 Meghann September 27, 2011 at 10:00 am

I have a Groupon for one that I fully intend to take advantage of! :)

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 27, 2011 at 10:08 am

Hahhaha! You must have been really in the zone not to notice that! Nevertheless, maybe the charger was good luck!? :)
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..No trainer, so what now?

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 27, 2011 at 10:08 am

Oh my gosh that’s funny! I had a minor panic attack yesterday when I got to the bike trail for my long run of the week and my garmin wouldn’t turn on! I thought it had finally bit the dust and just used my stopwatch on my iPhone and the mile markers for the run but when I got home I googled the issues and the first troubleshooting thing that came back worked! It’s like losing an appendage without that thing on a long run!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin brownies

7 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

During a 10k I once was checking out the scenery so much that I might have run off the road into a ditch. I’m graceful.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The Mucus Diet.

8 Ali @ Ali Runs September 27, 2011 at 10:11 am

It really is funny how little you notice the most obvious things when you are in the zone. Just goes to show you how hard you were pushing it Sunday! :)
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Friday Knight 5k

9 Meghan September 27, 2011 at 10:12 am

It is funny how much you focus on something you can miss something so silly! Luckily it didn’t cause any problems. Now go find a hot tub and a massage!
Meghan recently posted..19 weeks & Our mini vacation

10 Danielle B September 27, 2011 at 10:14 am

That is absolutely hilarious – I can’t believe you didn’t notice it! You must have incredible focus :)

11 Dina @ DinaRuns September 27, 2011 at 10:15 am

That is pretty funny! At least you can say that you were really focused all day and not letting anything distract you.

When I first starting running, I never thought I would need a foam roller but not cannot imagine living without it.
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Half Marathon Training Week Eight In Review

12 Steph @321delish September 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’ve made a silly mistake like that in a race before! I had socks from Lululemon that were labeled for my left and right foot. I put them on in transition during a training tri, and right before I stuck my feet in my shoes, realized I had put them on backwards. I took the time to switch (it probably wouldn’t have made a difference) but I don’t wear those on race days any more!
Steph @321delish recently posted..Fake Spaghetti

13 Jess September 27, 2011 at 10:35 am

“Hello, toes! You’re looking good down there!” LOL

Believe it or not, I’ve done the exact same thing with my Garmin :).

14 Cait's Plate September 27, 2011 at 10:41 am

I trust you! It looks AWESOME!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Grown with Love

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 27, 2011 at 10:42 am

hahaa. THAt is an awesome story about the mind concentrating on a goal :)

16 Kath September 27, 2011 at 10:46 am

Ahhhhh!! Lol about the charger!

17 Victoria September 27, 2011 at 10:49 am

Oh my gosh, that is really funny. I guess you were really focused on the race! Ha ha!
Victoria recently posted..Miracle Miles 15k Race Recap

18 mary September 27, 2011 at 10:50 am

That’s hysterical that you wore your garmin charger all throughout the bike and run! I’m surprised the garmin part didn’t fly off during any of your tranistions or anything haha!
mary recently posted..Spooky Miles

19 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 27, 2011 at 10:50 am

Focus is a good thing. :) But that’s super duper focused, haha!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Wine Tasting in Santa Barbara

20 Beth September 27, 2011 at 10:52 am

Meghann… the watch did what it was SUPPOSED to do. Not suppose to do. I know you don’t proofread and I’ll spare you a lecture but I’ve seen you make that mistake more than once so I thought I’d alert you to it.

21 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas September 27, 2011 at 11:01 am

That is hilarious Meghann! I’m glad the charger still works! I feel like I’d end up sweating into the little USB connector area and shorting the whole thing out lol.
Congrats again!
Carly D. @ CarlyBananas recently posted..Clarendon Day 5K – The 2 Minute 5K PR!

22 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 27, 2011 at 11:14 am

I’m surprised I’ve never done that! The watch is so bulky already that I probably wouldn’t have noticed either :)

23 Liz September 27, 2011 at 11:30 am

Ha! I can’t believe you were so focused you didn’t notice the bulk or the extra weight :D Guess that just shows how in the zone you were!

24 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm

oh my gosh that is too funny! i’m impressed the watch portion did not fall off.

breakfast looks delish!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..of the moment {9.18.11}

25 Deva @ Deva by Definition September 27, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I’m giggling so hard at that picture. I don’t have a garmin, but I could totally see myself doing something like that!
Deva @ Deva by Definition recently posted..Weekend Recap

26 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 27, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Hahaha that’s so something I would do!!! At least it didn’t bother you!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Sarah’s Key – Book Review

27 Jennifer Cook September 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm

That is absolutely hilarious! I hate how bulky my Garmin- friends make fun of me when I wear it all of the time-but I love it and can’t run/bike without it.

28 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio September 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm

That is tooo funny! I’m really hoping to get a Garmin for my birthday this year :)
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Weight Watchers CORE Plan

29 Army Amy* September 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm

You must have really been in the zone to not even notice that!*
Army Amy* recently posted..5 Songs

30 Hillary September 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm

That is so something I would do—-even not on race day!

31 katie September 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm

HILARIOUS about your garmin!! Ahh- I looked for you sunday but didnt see you!!! I love how your family travels together and does things like that together.. its so special, isnt it?! It was SO HUMID on sunday!! we were sweating just watching, cant imagine how hot yall were. atleast it started raining at the end!
katie recently posted..Being Free

32 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Hahaha!!! That is hilarous – I’ll have to say that’s the first I’ve heard of someone doing that. The crazy things we do in races. :)
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Join me on Tuesday Trainer: Core Edition!

33 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm

That is SO something I would do!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Say It To My Face

34 Stefanie September 27, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Oh my! Hilarious! I just laughed so hard.
Stefanie recently posted..Race Recap: BLORA Sprint Duathlon

35 Mac September 27, 2011 at 9:42 pm

That is too funny! I’m surprised I haven’t done that yet!
Mac recently posted..Pretty in Pink

36 Lara @TresLaLa September 28, 2011 at 1:52 am

I would have totally scheduled a spa day got the week after a HIM! Ant chance Derek reads the comments and needs a HIM gift idea? I bet Groupon has some mean deals!
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..Tuesday Funday!

37 Sophie September 30, 2011 at 2:32 am

Ha, it must have been huge!!
Sophie recently posted..Thought For Friday!