Picnic Weather

by Meghann on September 26, 2011

The sun was shining, my legs were aching, and my brother was only on the east coast for 24 more hours – seemed like the perfect excuse for an afternoon picnic to me!

I stayed in my parents’ neck of the woods today to spend some time with my brother before he packed up and headed back west to do that whole doctor thing. It was too pretty of a day to waste inside, so we gathered up a lunch and headed to the dog park for a little picnic.

Scooby was a big fan of the idea.

He may be graying on the outside, but he’s still a young pup at heart. ;)

My lunch box was sort of random.

My dad and brother made sandwiches, and I just grabbed what was ever left from out road trip cooler to make a meal of randomness.

Turkey slices, cheese, carrots, hummus, and an apple make a complete lunch, right? ;)

IMG_3772.JPG IMG_3773.JPG IMG_3775.JPG IMG_3776.JPG

Other afternoon activities included trying to talk Josh into signing up for a triathlon (unsuccessful), trying to talk Josh into running a road race (unsuccessful), talking Josh into cleaning my car (WINNER!), and daring Josh to try clipless pedals (after he made fun of them :P ).

He didn’t fall! 10 points for Josh!!

Eventually the time came where I needed to hit the road. I grabbed a rice cake with almond butter for some road fuel.

Ben likes to eat the rice cakes with nut butter before his long runs. Since I tend to gag on un-toasted bagels on race mornings, I’m thinking about taking his lead and giving them a shot with my upcoming training. At this point, anything is better than a bagel! :)

The drive home was loooonnnngggggg. Rain, traffic, and eyes that didn’t want to stay open just don’t mix.

When I did walk in the door, I was so hungry my stomach felt like it was going to eat itself. I headed to the fridge and made a salad of whatever I could find.

• Spinach
  • Tomato
  • Carrot
  • Olivs
  • Blue Cheese
  • Apple Sauce (I know. Weird.)
  • Chicken Apple Sausage

I polished it off faster then you could say ‘feed me.’ ;)

Dessert was courtesy of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program. They had sent some Intense Dark Ghiradelli Bars to sample the other week and I couldn’t wait to finally dig in and try some.

The 86% Cacao Midnight Reverie immediately caught my attention. 86% wasn’t just dark – it was extra dark.

Unfortunately I live in Florida and the chocolate melted a smidge during the delivery process. No biggie – looks funny, but tastes the same.

The 86% Cacao was DARK and very bitter. It reminded me of bitter baker’s chocolate – the stuff your Mom warns you not to try raw when you’re a kid. It was too much for to me to handle straight up, but I’m tempted to try it melted down with just a touch of sugar as an ice cream topping or perhaps added to a sweet baked good? Just not raw. Definitely not raw.

The other bars aren’t quite as dark, so I have my fingers crossed for those!

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have someone that has been begging for attention since I’ve got home.

Apparently there were a lot of storms while I was away and she didn’t leave Derek’s side the whole weekend. Poor pup! Don’t worry – Derek made up for it by splitting the big pork roast he made on Friday with her all weekend. The poor pup was certainly a spoiled pup as well. ;)

Good Night!

1 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio September 26, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Dark chocolate is the BEST!!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Hodge Podge Monday

2 Ali @ Ali Runs September 26, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I try to talk people into running races all the time. Fortunately, I succeeded in talking my sister into running a marathon with me last year. It was such a great experience. :)
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..18 Miles

3 Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese September 26, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I once told a boyfriend the darker the chocolate the better so he got me 99% dark chocolate! Now THAT was intense! I bet the less percentage ones will be much better!
Jane @ Broccolini + Cheese recently posted..Fresh Eggplant Lasagna.

4 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) September 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I love dark chocolate, and bagels! I am sitting here in shock that you’d prefer a rice cake to a bagel. ;-)
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Some gluten-free Monday things

5 Meghann September 27, 2011 at 7:14 am

I wouldn’t prefer a rice cake to a bagel typically, but during training I eat A LOT of bagels (especially untoasted ones) with nut butter and by the end of training season I’m so sick of them that I have to literally force them down on race day. I’m just looking for something different to try. I’m sure I’ll be saying the same thing about rice cakes next year if I stick with them.

6 Sara @ Runnerwife September 26, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Nothing like coming home to a precious puppy! Enjoy your accomplishment!!
Sara @ Runnerwife recently posted..I Will Not Panic

7 Sweet and Savvy September 26, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Looks like an Awesome picnic! All Those chocolate bars look delicious! Although That extra dark Sounds like a little much For Sure!

8 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Sea Salt Soiree makes me want to do dirty, dirty things.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Chocolate Man Roses

9 Lara @TresLaLa September 26, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I might have missed it, but is Derek sad that he didn’t get to see you be an amazing athlete? Are you? When my hubby’s at the finish line, I’m WAY more chipper (and excited to finish) than for the races that he’s had to skip it…
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..Rough morning, Tough workout!

10 Meghann September 27, 2011 at 7:17 am

He was tracking online all day and u called him as soon as it was over. :) none of us had our significant others there because we knew it would be a long race to spectate for.

11 Jamie@everydaydolce September 27, 2011 at 12:46 am

What a sweet picture of you and Maddie! Sounds like such a fun day, glad you enjoyed it! :)
Jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..Combing out the Knots.

12 lynne @lgsmash September 27, 2011 at 1:21 am

I was gifted 3 bags of the Sea Salt Soiree from a friend who was traveling through San Fran – I haven’t tried the others you have but I LOVE the Sea Salt Soiree! So tasty – salty and bitter and crunch. Yum!
lynne @lgsmash recently posted..Preparing for Surgery in 9 Days

13 Victoria (District Chocoholic) September 27, 2011 at 6:01 am

The discoloration from heat exposure is called “bloom” and is cocoa butter separated from the remainder of the chocolate. It will render the chocolate less palatable as the remaining cocoa liquor will be grainy and more bitter.

For any 75+% cacao dark chocolate, you really need to go super high quality such that the beans have been dried, roasted, and conched nearly perfectly. Otherwise, you wind up with an untasty burnt, bitter edge. Find some Amadei, Domori, or an artisan chocolatier.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..NewTree: Belgian Biscuit

14 Meghann September 27, 2011 at 7:21 am

Whoa! Thanks for letting me know!

15 Hillary September 27, 2011 at 7:04 am

I love dark chocolate, but 86% is definitely pushing it!
Hillary recently posted..Biscoff White Chocolate Muddy Buddies

16 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes September 27, 2011 at 7:17 am

Doctors…Ironmen….there must be something in the water down in Florida!!!
Just kidding. Again, congratulations. I think that is such an awesome accomplishment! Plus that Sea Salt Soiree looks very tempting!!!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Wrap Up

17 Corey @ Learning Patience September 27, 2011 at 8:20 am

Sea Salt + Dark Chocolate is such a winning combination! I’m a HUGE fan of Lindt sea salt version – it’s so good!
xoxo from Houston, this week!
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..The Funniest Blog Girl I Know…Guest Post

18 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 27, 2011 at 8:51 am

I guess Josh didn’t get the family racing gene.
But come on, Josh, running a 5K road race probably takes less energy than cleaning Meghann’s car! ;)

19 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 27, 2011 at 8:51 am

Sounds like such a fun day! My sister lives out of town as well so I feel like I need to take advantage of every second I can see her!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..The plan and the planning

20 Hope September 27, 2011 at 9:03 am

Looks like such a fun day! :) That chocolate looks amazing. Dark chocolate is my favorite.
Hope recently posted..A Bridal Disappointment & Chow284…

21 Amy September 27, 2011 at 9:09 am

Congratulations on the HIM! You told me that when i volunteered for one i would sign up-yup-i’ve decided to do one next summer and have one question from your recap. I have yet to ever wear a wetsuit (i’ve been lucky with just wearing a bathing suit during my shorter tris). You guys were packing on the vaseline before the wetsuit and i was wondering-do you feel that gunk on you for the rest of the day? I can’t imagine that stuff feeling good during the bike and run.
Thanks!

22 Meghann September 27, 2011 at 10:00 am

Told ya so! It’s hard not to be inspired! :) I must have sweated the vaseline all off or it came off during the swim, because I didn’t geel greasy at all when I finished. Just sweaty and salty – nothing a good shower couldn’t fix. :)

23 Amy September 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

Ok good :) The thought of having to smear that stuff on…yuck ;-)

24 Cait's Plate September 27, 2011 at 11:40 am

LOVE chicken apple sausage!! It’s definitely getting to be the time of year to use it!

I can’t believe how sunny and warm it still seems in FL! That’s so crazy to me given how much cooler it’s been here (though I guess not today – it’s kind of hot out today!)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Grown with Love

25 Heather @ Better With Veggies September 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Rice cakes & Nut Butter sound like an easy pre-run meal, might have to give that a try. I don’t even know what aisle they sell those on in the store – I’ll have to ask…or wander around, find lots of other yummy stuff I want, and end up with a bag full of groceries. Both sound like good ideas! :)
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted..Join me on Tuesday Trainer: Core Edition!

26 Elizabeth September 27, 2011 at 9:32 pm

My mom and grandma (and kinda me…) use bitter chocolate to make the worlds best brownies and the worlds best hot fudge sauce. Let me know if you want recipes.

27 Nicole September 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm

He didn’t fall using clipless peddles for the first time? He needs to be riding then – that boy has a skill! :)
Nicole recently posted..Can you handle the cute?