Starting to Feel Real

by Meghann on September 24, 2011

This is happening! It’s really happening! In less than 24 hours I will be a Half Iron(wo)man!

My stomach is a ball of nerves and I’ve been high on adrenaline all day. I think it’s finally starting to set in that I’m going to do this! Ahhh!!!

Also, I’m in love with Augusta. It’s such a cute town with a quaint little downtown that just screams hometown pride.

My favorite part of the downtown was all the cute little cafes and restaurants that littered the area. It didn’t take us long to find the perfect coffee house for breakfast.

New Moon Cafe was smack dab in the middle of downtown and had a line out the door for breakfast. We took that as a good sign for good food and coffee.

I had their iced coffee with a little half and half.

IMG_3588.jpg

And an everything wheat bagel (which was pretty onion-y) with egg and ham.

I wanted a good mix of protein and carbs and i think this fit the bill.

The muffins were calling our name from the display case.

The peach muffins were made fresh on-site this morning and used fresh Georgia peaches. How could we say no?!

The four of us split one and savored every cakey, peachy bite.

Expo time!

Registration was INSANE. We waited in a line that wrapped around the conference center and took us 45 minutes to get through. Luckily, we were in front of a group of triathletes who have done this race multiple times and gave us ton of tips for tomorrow.

IMG_3607.jpg

Actually, everyone we met today were really kind and welcoming. They all calmed my nerves and taught me to take each event one thing at a time. It was just a big tri-love fest all day.

Once we got past the long line, everything was extremely organized. We were handed a card with our bib number on it at one station, handed waivers to sign at the next, given our bib, chip, and finally our swag bag.

It was a long process that ended with smiles.

We have out shirts! That means we’re official! πŸ˜‰

The expo was kind of meh. There were only a handful of booths (the largest being the one selling all the official ironman merchandise with a line longer than the one for registration), but I did run into a few tri-friends.

Cat is starting in the same wave as Kelly and I. Yay for wave friends!

The coolest thing about the expo –

IMG_3616.jpg

Can you find my name?

I bought a shirt with the same name layout on the back. πŸ™‚

We lucked out with gorgeous weather today. Nothing, but clear skies and sunshine.

Crossing our fingers it holds out for tomorrow!

We have Tyler to thank for lunch. He suggested we check out The Boll Weevil while we were in town and it did no disappoint.

It was love at first sight. πŸ˜‰

The menu was full of fun sandwiches, soups, and salads – a great lunch spot for a pre-race meal. And you know you’re in the south when ‘fried green tomato sandwich’ is the special of the day. I could resist ordering it.

The bread was a little buttery for my taste, but I enjoyed how they paired the thousand island dressing and pickles with the fried green tomatoes. The thousand island dressing gave it a very ruben taste.

I paired the sandwich with the corn chowder, which was unfortunately a little bland.

Dessert was the true star of the meal.

Red velvet cake? Don’t mind if we do.

Demolished.

Augusta is my first race with required bike check-in the night before. It felt strange dropping old Blue off.

Talk about bike envy! The transition area was full of bikes that – on average – cost $2000 more than mine. My little road bike (sans aero bars) was a rare breed in these parts.

My row was second to last – wayyyyyyy in the back.

Sleep tight, Blue! I’ll see you in the morning!

We couldn’t leave without checking the water temp out.

Current temp is 74.5 – officially wetsuit optional. It felt like cold spring water, which was actually really refreshing in the hot sun.

Dinner was ordered to-go.

One Mega-Veggie pizza from Mellow Mushroom while watching inspirational triathlon youtube videos = the perfect lazy evening.

I feel like I’ve been eating non-stop today and am stuffed to the brim. Consider myself officially carbo loaded. πŸ˜‰

There are so many thoughts going through my mind right now. Lots of happy ones, some nervous ones, and a tiny bit of crazy ones. My head is going a mile a minute and I’m just ready to do this thing already!

Tomorrow I will be a half ironman. That freakin’ rocks!

Good Night!

1 alison September 24, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Meghann, I just want to wish you and your brother and sister the best of luck tomorrow.
I used to live in Augusta and it really is a great little city. Boll Weevil’s is the best; seeing that piece of cake (and the gorgeous pix of the Savannah River) brought back all sorts of wonderful memories of living there.
I hope you all sleep well tonight and have a wonderful time at the race. I just know all three of you will do great. Best wishes!
alison recently posted..Silly Saturday

2 kristen (inspiredbydooce) September 24, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Good luck to all three of you!
Have a great race and a great day.
kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..ready, set, goals (for the montreal half marathon)

3 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 24, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I can’t wait for the live tweets and the race recap! You and your sibs are going to KILL it πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ have a good sleep tonight!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Hiatus

4 Lisa Fine September 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Yay! Yay! Yay! Wishing you lots of luck for tomorrow! You’re going to rock this race, and I can’t wait for the recap. πŸ™‚
Lisa Fine recently posted..Weekend Reading

5 Andrea September 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm

That looks so fun, makes me almost want to do a triathlon. Well the food and traveling part at least. Maybe I’ll just stick to the running. Good luck! I’m sure you’ll do awesome

6 Amy September 24, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Good Luck to all 3 of you!! Can’t wait for the recap πŸ™‚

7 Rachel September 24, 2011 at 8:54 pm

GOOD LUCK! My first HIM is a week from tomorrow, so I look froward to hearing how it goes!!

8 Marty September 24, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Good luck! I’m registering for the Half-Iron in Miami next year so am excited to hear your race recap.
Marty recently posted..Jennie-O Turkey Sausage & Mozzarella Crescent Rolls

9 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler September 24, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow! I’m so pumped to hear all about it!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Road trip to Asheville!

10 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 24, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Congrats & good luck tomorrow! All of your readers are so proud of you! πŸ™‚
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Long Overdue

11 Angie mae September 24, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Good luck! Looks like so much fun already!

12 Army Amy* September 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I hope you are able to get a good nights sleep. Good luck, Girl! I’m sure you’ll kill it tomorrow!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Freakin’ Awesome

13 Carissa September 24, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Go Meghann GO!!! I can’t wait to see the recap!! You’re an all star!
Carissa recently posted..Burgers for Big Boys

14 wymberley September 24, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Mellow Mushroom was my staple in college at GSU!

15 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 24, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Goo luck tomorrow!!! You look like you ate all the right things today!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..running, music, and bpm

16 Eric September 24, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Good luck to you and your siblings tomorrow. Remember to have fun and you will do great. All the ironman stuff was every tempting at the expo during my half ironman.

17 rae September 24, 2011 at 10:16 pm

ROCK ON ANDERSONS!!! I did my tri today, i will be resting and trackin you tomorrow πŸ™‚ Tell Ben to wear a shirt on the run…..its illegal not to for WTC πŸ˜›
rae recently posted..12:50!

18 Hannahviolin September 24, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Dude, you are going to ROCK this. Can’t wait to hear all about it!
Hannahviolin recently posted..Bring on Caturday!!

19 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) September 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Good luck to all of you!!

Gosh, everything you ate today is glorious!! That egg sandwich, red velvet cake, and pizza… MAJOR DROOL!!!
J3nn (Jenn’s Menu and Lifestyle Blog) recently posted..Vegan Sloppy Joes (Peas and Thank You Sloppy Josephine Recipe!) and Ultra Cheap Organic Quinoa

20 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 24, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Wishing you guys the BEST of luck tomorrow! Can’t wait to read the recap.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Coming soon…

21 My Traveling Troop September 25, 2011 at 12:09 am

How lucky that your first half ironman is in a darling town with fabulous food options! Looks like you enjoyed the day before the race. I will keep my fingers crossed that you also enjoy race day! Good luck!

Cheers,
Kristina
My Traveling Troop recently posted..T.G.I.F.

22 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 25, 2011 at 12:26 am

Good luck tomorrow to all of you!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Bad Runs and Gray Walls

23 Amy September 25, 2011 at 12:58 am

Good Luck Meghann!
Amy recently posted..Get Off My Internets

24 Natasha @ Moody Girl In Style September 25, 2011 at 1:26 am

Good luck to all of you tomorrow. I can’t wait to read the race recap.

25 Lara @TresLaLa September 25, 2011 at 2:57 am

Best wishes for an amazing race tomorrow!
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..What You Don’t Know Won’t Really Hurt You…

26 Alyssa September 25, 2011 at 4:10 am

Good luck!

27 Khushboo September 25, 2011 at 8:36 am

Wow good luck! What an achievement!
Khushboo recently posted..Blog posts > birthday cards

28 Fallon September 25, 2011 at 9:03 am

Before you leave.. you must try Nacho Mama’s downtown.. That has become my favorite Augusta restaurant, besides Mellow Mushroom!!

Good luck to you and your sis/bro today at the race!!!
Fallon recently posted..Hello+Fun Giveaway

29 Sophie @ threetimesf September 25, 2011 at 11:08 am

Aaahh that red velvet cake might be the best thing I’ve ever seen!

Good luck team Anderson! πŸ™‚

30 Jen September 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm

You guys are so awesome, I hope it went well!!! Also, I really need to know where that pink purse in the third picture is from. It is gorgeous! I may have a slight purse addiction and it would make a great addition to my collection. Haha πŸ™‚

31 Mac September 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Hope things went well! Very exciting to be an (half)ironwoman!
Mac recently posted..Bridal Show Sneak Peak

32 Chuck September 26, 2011 at 3:32 am

Bummed that I didn’t run into you, but soon enough I’m sure. That pizza looks so good- Mellow Mushroom is some good pie!

And I missed that Ironman thing with all the names- that’s really cool! I heard this was the biggest 70.3 Ironman event ever
Chuck recently posted..3 days!