Fall Race Season

by Meghann on September 21, 2011

It’s September, the leaves are starting to change colors, the temps are slowly beginning to drop, and my inbox is being stuffed full with race registration announcements, this could only mean one thing – race season has officially kicked off in Central Florida!

This is my favorite time of year, full of my favorite races in the Orlando area.

Unfortunately, since the Half Ironman is taking a huge chunk out of my race budget this year, I’ve had to cut back on road races. I’ll miss road races terribly this season, but can’t wait to get back in the game in 2012!

In the mean time, here’s a look back at a few of my past favorites!

Autumn Rock ‘n’ Run 5k

• Previous Recaps: 2009 & 2010
  • Special because… it was my first sub-24 5k, my first race with my little brother, and occurs right down the road from where I used to live. It was also the race that has traditionally kicked off running season.
  • 2011 Race: September 10th (already missed it πŸ™ )
  • Bonus: The running shirt is a favorite of Derek and Ben πŸ˜‰

Get Up & Go 5k

• Previous Recaps: 2009 & 2010
  • Special because…. hometown race, 1st place age group title holder, and where Ben earned the title ‘Shirtless Ben’
  • 2011 Date: August XX (Ben ran the 10k distance this year!)

Miracle Miles 15k

• Previous Recaps: 2008, 2009, & 2010
  • Special because… it was my first Orlando race, the only race I ran all three years I lived in Orlando, and we can’t forget the free Chick-Fil-A sandwich at the end πŸ˜‰
  • 2011 Race: September 24 (the same day I’ll be in Augusta and I was sad to see Chick-Fil-A isn’t the main sponsor this year πŸ™

CIMG1660.JPG

Florida Hospital Celebration Founders’ Day 10k

CIMG3292.JPG

• Previous Recaps: 2008
  • Special because… it was my first 10k! and it’s a BEAUTIFUL course around the town of celebration
  • 2011 Race: November 13 (I’ll in Tallahassee for a wedding that weekend :()

Space Coast Half Marathon

• Previous Recaps: 2009, 2010 <-spectator
  • Special because… the Space Coast is a huge part of who I am, beautiful course along the water, current half marathon PR from 2009 race
  • 2011 Race: November 27

OUC Half Marathon

CIMG4178.JPG

• Previous Recaps: 2008
  • Special because… my first half marathon, a great local race, CHEAP! (registration is only $45 – I think it was $35 when I ran it in 2008)
  • 2011 Race: December 3 (i’ll be in Vegas!)

CIMG4180.JPG

Reindeer Run

• Previous Recaps: 2010
  • Special because… this is a FUN race – no time chips, lots of costumes, and you run around Sea World all decked out for the holidays. πŸ™‚
  • 2011 Race: December 10 <- going to try REALLY hard to make this race!

Dash of the Elves 10k & 5k (Elf Classic)

• Previous Recaps: 2008, 2009
  • Special because… it’s the first race I won my age group for (it’s a small race)
  • 2011 Race: December 11

CIMG4393.JPG

Do you have any hometown races that you never miss?

1 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 21, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to register for the HIM?

2 Meghann September 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm

$250 :/

3 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 21, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Yikes! That is steep. No wonder your race budget has been cut!

4 Lindsey September 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I run a local womens shelter run every year because all proceeds go to them! It is always the first weekend in July and then have a awesome pancake breakfast after too πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..Happy Anniversary

5 Angela @ My Pinky Toes September 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm

You are a racing machine! I like that you have a special reason to run each race…it makes it sooo meaningful! At first I was going through these and wondering how you were running so many races in the winter…with tank tops on nonetheless…then I remember it’s not freezing cold in the winter where you are! Lucky you!
It’s also great that you have won or placed in so many of them!!! WOW!
Angela @ My Pinky Toes recently posted..β€œNow You’re a Real Runner,” said the little devil; Race Recap

6 Cait's Plate September 21, 2011 at 1:46 pm

What a great post!! It must’ve been so fun to relive all of these!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Stay In Bed Kinda Day

7 Laura September 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm

As long as I’ve been racing, I’ve been doing the Shamrock run in Portland. 30k people, alot of green, a giant hill, and the official kickoff to the running season!

8 Maddie September 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

The Run for the Zoo in Albuquerque, NM! It’s a great run around the zoo and all runners get to to go the zoo afterward. It’s a great local cause, and there’s nothing like smelling buffalo as you run bright and early! πŸ™‚

9 mel September 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm

wow I can’t imagine how much money you spent on racing! I love it too but I pick 2 or three each season (sprint tri, 10 k, 5k) so I don’t spend too much and the rest of the time I stick to strength training, cardio of choice, and just having fun!

10 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The 500 Festival Mini-Marathon is a big deal in Indianapolis—it’s the biggest half-marathon in the world! Have you ever considered doing it, Meghann? It’s so much fun! I’ve done it three times now and am always a spectator if I’m not running. It’s a very festive atmosphere and fun course—you run a couple miles around the Indianapolis 500 race track.
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies With Peanut Butter and Bacon

11 Meghann September 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I’ve heard that’s an AWESOME race. It’s on my ‘one day’ list πŸ™‚

12 kim September 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm

dec 3rd you’ll be in vegas… does that mean you are running the rock n roll marathon???

13 Meghann September 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I’m doing the half in Vegas!

14 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm

LOL I find it funny that race season is just starting up in Florida, but it’s pretty close to winding down here! I’d give anything for Florida weather!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 75

15 Mary @ food and fun on the run September 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love everything about the Gasparilla race series here in Tampa! I never miss it!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Honeymoonin’

16 Meghann September 21, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I love Gasparilla too! I was unable to run in 2011, but I ran in 2009 and 2010 – can’t wait for 2012!

17 mary September 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I was thinking about doing it too in 2012! Let me know if you sign up!!
mary recently posted..Three Truth Tuesday: Serious Sweet Tooth

18 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

we have a GREAT memorial day 10 mile race that runs along the lakefront of chicago and finished at the 50 yard line of soldier field (the chicago bears’ nfl stadium). the weather is usually gorgeous, i love the distance, and it’s pretty cool running onto the field!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..Working Breakfast

19 Army Amy* September 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I repeat races a lot. My favorite local race is called Jog with the Frog. It’s held at Fair Park in Dallas. I won my age group both times that I ran it.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Whip my Hair

20 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I actually skipped my hometown 5K/half marathon last weekend. Even though it’s only 5 mins from my house, I had to be there 2+ hours before the race started b/c of road closures and that makes it more frustrating than other races farther away! Also $30 for a 5K is kinda steep in my opinion!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Good for you zucchini fries

21 Grace September 21, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I ran the Reindeer Run last year and I think I want to do it again! It was so fun and I loved checking out all the costumes:)
Grace recently posted..My first ever WIAW…

22 mary September 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm

There’s an 8k in my home town in NY that I ran every year until I moved a couple of years ago. I love the route, the people and the sponsors.

I am sad to say that since races are so $$$ in NC, I have only run a couple of races since i’ve been down here the last couple of years.
mary recently posted..Three Truth Tuesday: Serious Sweet Tooth

23 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm

That is SO cool you won your age, regardless of the size! I placed in the top 20 for my age for a marathon, and it was a huge race, so that is pretty exciting!

I love racing too<—its the training part I don't absolutely love πŸ˜‰

24 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count September 21, 2011 at 3:21 pm

That reindeer race looks so fun! I live in Orlando and may have to sign up for that one this year…dressing up plus Christmas equals a win in my book!

25 Dina @ DinaRuns September 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Great post! Love the pictures.

Miracle Miles is this weekend and I cannot wait! It’s my first race that’s not a 5k. I will for sure do Celebration because I run there regularly and love it.
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Undercover Blogger

26 Allison September 21, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Chick-Fil-A is super super crazy actively homophobic, so it’s awesome they’re not the sponsor this year! Totally unrelated, I’m so excited to read your post-HIM recap.

27 Heather September 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I always like to run the Pat Tillman Foundation Pat’s Run in Tempe every year. It was my first road race ever, and it’s such a great, local cause I can’t miss it (unless I’m out of town like 2010).

28 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Wow, you have a lot of races under your belt! I wish I had that many but there aren’t a lot offered here..
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..It’s a wild life

29 Krystina (Organically Me) September 21, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I’ll be doing the Reindeer Run! I hope you get to. πŸ˜€

30 Lauren @ Ultra Lauren September 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’m thinking about doing the Vegas half. My in laws live there so is have a sitter which is always a plus.

I never miss the Lake Balboa Watermelon Run because the first 100 finishers get a medal and a watermelon
Lauren @ Ultra Lauren recently posted..What 8 Miles Looks Like

31 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 21, 2011 at 4:54 pm

SO FUN to see all the pictures of your past races! I have never done a race before despite really wanting to do one (not for the race but more the community aspect and additional challenge). I have decided to do a 10k this winter – so excited to start making my own race memories!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday

32 Bethany September 21, 2011 at 5:19 pm

You’re doing Vegas? I’m moving there (and running that half) shortly!! I would love to meet you if time permits! πŸ™‚

33 Meghann September 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I’ll be there for the Urban Running Summit! it should be fun!

34 Alexa @ Simple Eats September 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of races! I’m not surprised, though πŸ™‚ I really want to do a Christmas 5k…and dress up!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..BBQ Chicken Chili

35 Christine @ BookishlyB September 21, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I’m the opposite- I have a hometown race I INSIST on missing now! I drove 6 hours in crappy weather last year to run a half and the course was horribly boring, didn’t do wave starts (1/2 and full started at the same time) so it bottlenecked, plus it was in February so it was rain and cold. Never. Again. I’ll stick to my nice Southern California weather thankyouverymuch.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..How to Build a Library

36 Marty September 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm

The ING Miami Half-Marathon is my must-do yearly race. I think I’ve done it for the past 6 years at least??? Each year it grows bigger and bigger, but just love that race!
Marty recently posted..Let Music Fuel Your Interval Training!

37 Ali @ Ali Runs September 21, 2011 at 9:10 pm

It’s so cool that you have run so many of the same races more than once! There is a race series that I plan on doing again this year in my hometown. It’s small but a really great way to get outside during the cold, winter months and race! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..My First Ice Bath

38 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas September 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm

This year I will be running in my first race ever! Beauty and the Beach – not hometown but homestate! πŸ™‚
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Bean Mine

39 Megan @ Who Me, Run? September 21, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I ran the Philly Distance Run/Rock & Roll Half for the past two years. Relocating 1800 miles away meant that I wasn’t able to travel to it. I am registered for my second Wine and Dine Half and the inaugural Savannah Rock & Roll half. I’m heading over to the Track Shack website to sign up for the Reindeer Run soon. It’s right around the corner from my house!
Megan @ Who Me, Run? recently posted..So Totally Awesome!

40 Lara @TresLaLa September 21, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Love the pic of you with the dolphin! Awesome! And, I would have been so sad that Chick Fil A wasn’t the sponsor! Nothing better than Chick Fil A!
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Take 3

41 Beth @ 990 Square September 23, 2011 at 9:42 am

I don’t live in Orlando (I just go there a lot!) and now I want to do that SeaWorld race since I’m planning to be in Orlando for a Disney event that weekend. Now if I can just figure out how to get from Disney to SeaWorld…
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Cake

42 Sophie September 27, 2011 at 5:06 am

Haha, it always makes me laugh that you and Caitlin have such great photos of races – such obvious bloggers! πŸ˜€
Sophie recently posted..Life Wobbles & A Catch Up!