more ยป" />

HIM Training: Week 15

by Meghann on September 19, 2011

This is it. No turning back now. My 16 week training plan is coming to an end and in little less than a week, I’ll be (hopefully) crossing the finish line of my very first half ironman. Holy. Crap.

A look back at just how far I’ve come:

The original week 15

Weekly Totals:

• Swim: 3900 yds
  • Bike: 36 miles
  • Run: 17.5 miles
  • Strength: 1 day

Screen shot 2011-09-19 at 10.41.11 AM.png

Gotta love taper weeks! This week I was able to cut my training time in half and my two-a-days dropped to only one. I’m postponing all strength training until after the race is over and have moved past all of my final long runs, long rides, and bricks until d-day. Crazy.

The nerves are finally starting to kick in. The more I cut back, the more I can’t believe I’ll be completing 70.3 on Sunday. Tapering is that weird time when mentally you want to still be going all out, but physically you know you need to hold back. I have to keep reminding myself to ‘trust my training’ because anything I try to do now will be a moot point anyways. My motto this week is to take it easy and breathe.

Breathe. Just breathe.

This week has some very important goals:

• Final open water swim to test out the new wet suit (I should probably add ‘work up the guts to try the suit on’ too)
  • Figure out final transition set-up, nutrition goals, etc.
  • Stock up on body glide (!)
  • Yoga
  • PACK

I think that about covers it. I head to my parents’ on Thursday, then straight to Augusta on Friday!!

eek!!!

Lunch

It has been a surprisingly quiet morning around here. Derek didn’t have to be at work until late, so it was nice to spend the morning with my best friend. :)

When lunch time rolled around I made myself an easy sandwich with chips.

The sandwich was a hummus, kale, tomato, and swiss cheese combo on a whole grain roll.

I had the remaining tomato slices on the side, as well as blue corn chips with salsa.

Work awaits!

Have a great day!

1 Cait's Plate September 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

LOVE that Maddie photo from Thursday :)

2 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm

You’re going to rock it Meghann. :) Happy week of half ironman!!

3 Corey @ Learning Patience September 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Ooh…those tomatoes look perfectly tasty…YUM! I’m a major tomato-a-holic!
xoxo from Trinidad

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 19, 2011 at 2:22 pm

You’re going to kill this HIM! So pysched for you!

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 19, 2011 at 2:29 pm

You definitely ARE an Iron Woman Meghann! You should be so proud of yourself for completing all this training!

6 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 19, 2011 at 2:35 pm

you’re going to kill it this weekend :)

love having mornings with the s/o, good start to the day/week!

7 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm

i cannot for the life of me swallow raw kale. any tips to make it more appealing? is it all about what you pair it with?

8 Meghann September 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I have really weird tastebuds. I may be the only person I know who doesn’t mind raw kale. I also like raw brussel sprouts, okra, and eggplant.

9 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Hi Kathleen! If it’s hard to eat it raw, I suggest roasting it in the oven/toaster oven with balsamic, spices, etc. OR! steaming it still lets it be soft and not too tough to chew, since it can be pretty cardboard-y when it’s raw. :D

10 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Mmmm that combo looks truly delicioso!~ <3

11 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

You are going to do SOOO great! :)

12 Carissa September 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Such an exciting week for you! Pre-race nerves are fun for me…it’s let’s me know I’m excited and doing something big!!

You’ll be awesome!

13 Laura September 19, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Good luck! You’re going to rock it!

14 Kathleen September 19, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I wish you the best of luck in the 70.3. After participating in the Syracuse 70.3 -this weekend -relay only – I can only say that I am so impressed that you are going for it! What an accomplishment that will be. More so than any marathon that I have run and there has been a lot of 26.2′s for me. It is so exhilarating watching the swim, bike and running with the runners who did the first two events. I kept encouraging them and announcing that I was only doing the run portion. I’m sure they wanted to cut my legs off. Overall the whole experience was a blast and the event was well organized. I can’t wait to read how your event goes. I’m toying with the idea of 70.3 but not sure I have what it takes to go the distance. Again, good luck and rest, rest, rest and fuel up all week!

15 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather September 19, 2011 at 4:13 pm

You are gunna rock that race! You’ve come so far it’s amazing!!

16 Kathleen September 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm

And a little tip if you don’t know already. If the water temp is cold bring a thermal cap to wear under your official swim cap. And bring water socks too – you will be allowed to wear them if the water is cold. The temps were 63 degrees yesterday in Syracuse so most of the athletes wore these essentials to stay warm in the water.

17 Alexa @ Simple Eats September 19, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Good LORD woman…you’ve done awesome! I’m so excited to see how this race goes!

18 Emily@SavoryandSavage September 19, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I am always nervous before a big race. Just keep in mind that you have been doing great on the training and all that will pay off on the day of the triathlon.

19 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 19, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I 100% recommend that you get a practice swim in in your wetsuit! Prevents any freak outs on race day!!!

20 Mary September 19, 2011 at 6:21 pm

You may find you like the wetsuit. Helps you float and move more smoothly through the water. I used one in two of my three tris this summer and it is so worth it in cold water! And I know what you mean about the taper. I’m in the taper week before my first half marathon this Saturday (nervous!) and mentally I just want to go! You are my inspiration to try a HIM – maybe next summer. Best of luck!!!

21 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes September 19, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Holy Skinny Ankle…
You’re rocking this training. Keep it up girl!

22 Kerry September 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Good luck! I have done many many spring tris and also oylmpic tris! You will rock it. I have one tip! I have found the best “hairstyle” for tris is to have to french braids that go down the back of my head. My hair is long so i just braid it all the way down to the end. I have usually one of my girlfriends do this for me because I cant brain my own hair like that! I just make sure its very tight, so that when i remove my swim cap it doesnt even move. Its also easy to put your helmet on, and also a hat for running! Just one less thing to worry about in transition!

23 Ali @ Ali Runs September 20, 2011 at 7:50 am

It’s normal to be nervous during taper week. Trust your training, you’ve been kicking a$$ for the past 15 weeks! I’m excited for you! :)