more ยป" />

Polenta Oats

by Meghann on September 15, 2011

I had a stroke of genius while making a batch of savory oats for lunch today.

I was making the oats as normal (1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup milk, salt and pepper) when I decided to throw a heaping tablespoon of cornmeal in the mix. The cornmeal gave the oats a nice polenta texture and a yummy corn flavor. Hence, Polenta Oats were born.

Some melted cheese mixed-in turned the dish into a cheesy polenta oats that went well on a bed of cooked spinach with an egg and pretzel pieces on top.

Genius I tell you! If you like polenta – I say give the polenta oats a shot. ;)

Move & Mix: House Keeping

I’ll admit it – I’m a slob. (If you’ve been reading long enough, you probably already know all this.)

I have all these dreams and goals of being this really organized, neat person, but they’re just that – dreams. As soon as I attempt to implement some sort of cleaning organization into my life, I get bored and give up on it. I’ll say ‘I’m going to do a deep clean,’ but get as far as getting the Clorox wipes out before giving up and moving on. Ugh.

Deep down I know Derek wishes he was a clean freak too, but he’s not. His laundry piles get as high as mine on a monthly basis and he hates doing the dishes or scrubbing the floors as much as I do. We both leave our things scattered around the house and neither of us make an effort at putting anything away. We’re not a good team when it comes to keeping the house clean, in fact, we’re sort of a disaster.

But, this kind of works for us. Neither of us are constantly telling the other to clean up their act and we have both accepted that we’re, well, messy. I think the only time we really care about the state of the apartment is when other people come over. Part of me hates it because I want to be a cleaner person, but the other part loves it because, frankly, I’m tired of people telling me to clean. I’m messy, Derek’s messy, and we’re ok with it.

Since we’re both messy, finding a balance on who does what with house keeping is still up in the air. I do the cooking and dishes (I have the bowls and plates arranged ‘just so’ and Derek hasn’t quite picked up on how to put them away without the stack toppling over), Derek cleans the floors and bathrooms, and we’re both in charge of our own laundry (woo hoo for separate closets!). It’s a very vague system right now that we’re still trying to tweak, but it’s what we have for now.

Are you and your significant other similar or opposites when it comes to cleaning?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 15, 2011 at 1:56 pm

My hubs is like MR CLEAN himself – he loves and is good at deep cleaning the kitchen sink, bathrooms and outside deck areas. However, he is very messy – like leaves clothes on the floor, etc. So weird!

I personally keep things neat all around but don’t really enjoy it…LOL.

2 Natalie @ will jog for food September 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm

That is EXACTLY my hubby too! hahaha Very clean, but messy!

3 Tania September 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm

POLAR opposites when it comes to cleanliness. I’m a neatfreak – he literally forgets to EVER put things in the garbage can. Ever.

4 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Tania, you just described my husband. Are you sure we aren’t married to the same person? *checks credentials*

5 Ashley September 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm

We are POLAR opposites. My husband could care less if the house is clean, while I like everything to be neat and organized. Let’s just say it can get ugly at times! LOL! Since I’m in between jobs and waiting for school to start, I ‘ve taken over all the cleaning and cooking, except for the dinner dishes, which the hubby takes care of. He uses the ‘it needs to soak’ method, which basically means the dishes sit in the sink till he gets around to cleaning them. :)

6 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I am a cleaner person than my hubby but we both tend to be sort of messy throughout the workweek. Then on Saturdays I clean the whole house, just to add more clutter throughout the week, and then to clean it again the next weekend. It is a vicious cycle. I wish I was clean ALL the time, but I’m just too lazy haha

7 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 15, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I am definitely the tidy type! I don’t have a significant other, but one of my roommates is also like me in that she likes things to be kept clean, so we usually get all our cleaning done on Saturday mornings, then have the rest of the weekend to relax. It’s a lot easier to clean when you know someone else is doing it too!

8 poptartyogini September 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm

yes!! i love this post. my husband and i are messy too. i feel the same way that part of me wants to be clean but the other part doesn’t really care. i do the kitchen and dusting, he does the bathroom and vacuums. we both do the laundry and then never fold it and put it away. we live out of laundry baskets. i wish i had a cleaning lady.

9 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Note to self: Never live with Meghann or Derek. :-)

I’m a clean freak. Analy so and it annoys my husband – and honestly, I annoy myself. But I can’t help it. My husband is not a neat freak so I’m always cleaning up his mess. It’s annoying. I think I would like my mindset to change so I can live in a mess and not have constant anxiety over it. Teach me your ways!

10 Gavi @ Gavi Gets Going! September 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

My fiance and I complement each other very nicely when it comes to household tasks, particularly cleaning. When one of us cooks, the other cleans. He takes out the garbage, recycling, and compost, and I do the deep cleaning in the kitchen and bathroom. He’s much more compulsive than I am about things related to cleanliness, so when we first moved in together two years ago it took some time for me to adjust. One thing that was really hard for me to get used to is that he has separate sets of clothing for outside the apartment, inside the apartment at large, and in our bed, and he never mixes! I am much too lazy with my clothes to have that kind of discipline! :)

11 tiffany @ texan on the run September 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm

wow i’ve never heard of that before, that’s crazy about the separate sets of clothes!
lol all of my classmates in med school just wash their scrubs that are soaked in formaldehyde and cadaver “juice” with their normal clothes. hahahaha what would your husband think about that!

12 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’m definitely a clean freak. BF is not. Right now, I do all the cooking, cleaning laundry and dishes. Should I not be?! It doesn’t bother me that much–he works really long hours, and I work at home, so it kind of makes sense. But now I feel like I should make him do some of it. Haha.

13 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots September 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

We’re both kinda slobs, but we’ve both collectively worked on it. I think neither of us wants to inconvenience the other one, so we always pick up after ourselves just to make the other’s life easier.

14 Felicia September 15, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I am a very clean person. My husband is not, but I do encourage him to clean up after himself (and he does). We have a child, so a clean, organized house is very important to us.

I do laundry, dishes, bathroom floors, and bedrooms. He does toilets and takes out the trash/diapers.

I’m a Geoarchaeologist and he’s an Airman, so I am home more often than he is. This arrangement works for us. http://www.flylady.net/ might be helpful to you if you’re interested in learning how to keep a house clean. It’s honestly not hard at all once you have a clean baseline to start with.

15 Natalie @ will jog for food September 15, 2011 at 2:12 pm

My husband and I are picky about different things…. I leave “clutter” around everywhere, mail and other crap (which he hates)…. He leaves his dirty clothes everywhere except the laundry basket (which I hate).

I do laundry, he takes care of the pool. We both help for the rest. But since we now have a bigger place we got a maid that comes 2x a month. Way better for us since we tended to bicker when we cleaned (mostly because I HATE cleaning) hehe.

16 Liz @ Southern Charm September 15, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Polenta Oats look amazing! I must try this tomorrow morning :)

I’m a clean freak. There is no significant other in my life, but I have a feeling if there was, I’d get grossed out by the mess! haha. Or maybe I’d like him so much it wouldn’t matter?

17 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Matt is definitely not messy, but he doesn’t quite subscribe to the same cleanliness standards that I do.
But he’s totally learning. It’s amazing how much different it is now than when we first got married. You just learned to compromise with each other’s standards I guess.

18 michelle September 15, 2011 at 2:17 pm

There is a big difference between being messy and being plain nasty and dirty.

I’m the clean freak in my marriage but my husband has gotten a lot better at picking up after himself. His army gear is still all over his room (we have a room just for all his army crap) but I just stay out of there so it doesn’t bother me.

19 Shayla @ The Good Life September 15, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I love these relationship topics! Hubby and I are definitely opposites when it comes to cleaning…however I think now after 8 years together I’ve finally brushed off on him ;) Seriously though, I’m the cleaner and he’s the chef in this household so in the end it’s a nice compromise!

20 Hillary September 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’m slightly OCD when it comes to keeping my living area clean—if my living space is cluttered, I feel way too stressed to relax and decompress. My bf on the other hand can go days with his crap laying around (clothes, papers, etc) until I absolutely lose my cool. He cleans up when I ask him to—I just wish I didn’t need to ask him to! Haha.

21 Cait's Plate September 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm

My boyfriend and I are luckily very similar with our cleanliness so it works out really well. I could see MANY fights occurring if that weren’t the case though!

LOVE the idea of polenta oats, that sounds awesome!

22 Hope September 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I try to keep the place clean. I cannot stand clutter, like papers, receipts, etc. My fiance loves to clean! He will vaccum and scrub the entire house before I even get a chance to. I am not a messy person. He just loves to clean more than I do. That’s okay. I’d much rather cook anyway! :)

23 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm

we are both slobs, but i want so badly to be neat and organized that i end up getting on my husband alllll the time about being so messy! it goes like this:

me: CLEAN UP YOUR MESS
him: your stuff is just as messy and ALL over the house
me: shoot. you’re right.

24 Meghann September 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

haha sounds like our conversations!

25 tiffany @ texan on the run September 15, 2011 at 8:36 pm

hahahhahahahaaaaaaa

26 Emily G. September 15, 2011 at 2:29 pm

LOL I’m loving these post on how you and Derek approach things. My boyfriend just moved in with me and we struggle daily. He thinks I should ask him to clean up and I think he should just do it to make the place look better Example: If he puts something in the trash and it’s full – take it out, don’t keep piling it up, especially on the chair next to the trash can! Same for me – if I put something in that fills it up – I take it out. Same with laundry, dishes, toilet paper, etc. Now as far as the floor scrubbing, counter wiping, bathroom cleaning – I don’t mind doing that at all.

27 Meghann September 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm

WE have trash can wars all the time! Finally I’ll give in and take the bag out of the can and it replace it was a new one. His job is then to bring that trash bag to the dumpster. :)

28 Mia September 15, 2011 at 2:30 pm

my husband and I definitely argue a lot about cleaning, mostly because I make messes and he cleans them up. He gets annoyed at me for not wiping things up in the kitchen or if I dropped something on the floor, or if I left a piece of clothing out of place in the bedroom. It does annoy me though, because I feel like there are things I do around the house that he would never do, and it’s only fair that he be the cleaner! I guess it’s good that I live with such a neat freak though, because otherwise my place would be a disaster zone.

29 Erin September 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I definitely used to be more of a neat freak but after living with my husband for 9 years I’ve given up on a lot of things and have slowly become more of a slob.

30 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 15, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I’m a total mess, and the Hubs is a clean freak. Really- most afternoons when he gets home from work, the first thing he does is start vacuuming things (floors, desks, computer keyboards…). I think my messiness sorta drives him crazy, but we’ve divvied up the work where I do all laundry and keep my ish in my own closet, and he does the vacuuming and all the deep cleaning (including cleaning up the kitchen if I cook). Works for us!

I DO find myself cleaning up before he gets here on weekends though– just to get most of the mess squared away before he sees it and minority freaks out ;)

31 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm

We both are semi-clean, so it works! We like to clean, we stay organized, but neither of us are obsessed with it.

Like the idea of savory oats!

32 mel September 15, 2011 at 3:15 pm

My hubby and I are both clean ppl but I feel the need to “pick up” every day multiple times a day! I can’t stand when things are messy…messiness = stress!! Do small things everyday to clean and it won’t add up! Wash dishes immediately after eating and put them away every am. Make the bed everyday (it takes 1 minute), put clothes away immediately after drying them, take trash out when needed, etc! I promise it will pay off!

33 Nikki September 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm

My boyfriend hates dirtiness which keeps me in check because I can be a little bit of a messy person!

34 Caitlin September 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm

if you like the taste of corn in your oats try oats with milk, salt, pepper, and sweet corn and walnuts. seriously so good. I ate this all the time in college…and would always hide my bowl from my roomies because it was such a weird combo! lol

35 Heather September 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm

My boyfriend and I don’t live together but he’s over often enough.

I’m a total neat freak, borderline OCD, and he is not clean. It drives me nuts! I know I could probably lighten up a little bit with my neat freakness, but it really bugs me when he doesn’t throw stuff away and just leaves it on the counter. Grrrrr!

36 mary September 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’m glad that HB and I are both clean freaks. I think that’s my mother in me though. I appreciate a clean house and a clean workspace. That way, I can hear myself think.

We usually do a deep clean once a week on whatever day we’re both off from work.

37 annelies September 15, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Polenta oats! Brilliant. I love the textural implications.

38 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 15, 2011 at 3:36 pm

HAHA! Funny to bring that up- my boyfriend is sooo much cleaner than me. He’s always cleaning the house! Except for when it comes to dishes. He’ll let those sit forever while I can’t stand them piling up.

39 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 15, 2011 at 3:39 pm

We’re actually both neat freaks. I’m a little more anal about it than him but in general we both could never live in a state of dirt or mess. I can’t imagine living with someone that was the opposite of me. I bet that leads to many an argument!

40 colleen September 15, 2011 at 3:47 pm

When we first got married, we both helped keep everything clean and picked up daily – I was a total neat freak. Saturdays were our deep clean days (all furniture was moved so I could vacuum up the dust bunnies and stuff) followed by errands. Over the past two years we (okay, I) have relaxed on the cleaning everything every week. Saturdays are still our main cleaning day, but it is definitely isn’t deep cleaning. I no longer scrub the bathrooms or mop the floors every week – more like 2xmonth. I can say I haven’t vacuumed under king size bed since we moved 2 years ago. There are just more important things to do.

41 Jenny September 15, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I’m usually very clean and organized and luckily my boyfriend is too since he is moving in next week!!

42 Kelsey September 15, 2011 at 3:53 pm

My husband and I are both messy, but then I’ll get into cleaning fits and will be grouchy until everything is completely clean. Messiness bothers me, but usually my laziness overcomes it!

43 erica September 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm

omg we are TOTAL OPPOSITES!!! when we first started dating i was convinced that when i left, he would re-wash the dishes because i was doing it “wrong” i could feel the danny tanner in him freaking out as i tried to be helpful by washing the dishes.

he loves everything neat and orderly, i’m ok with a little mess.
he likes to pick things up/clean up right away…i’m more “i’ll get to it later”…

it’s a constant struggle. lol.

44 Alexa @ Simple Eats September 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I’m a really clean person and very organized and so is my boyfriend! He does say that I’m a little messy with my car, but then I look at his kitchen that his roommates trash and I’ve one-upped him. ;)

45 Lara @ TresLaLa September 15, 2011 at 4:15 pm

You & Derek are like the hubby and I. I have big, lofty plans to be organized, and tidier, but those plans drop to the wayside when it’s inconvenient (read: always). But, we both realize that cleaning is necessary. SO, we have cleaners that come in once a month (or once every 3 weeks) plus whenever people are coming to stay with us. Keeps us sane. Kind of saved our marriage. PS: Today is cleaning day! There will be magic vacuum lines in my carpet when I get home! Swoon!

46 Meghann September 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm

WE bought a groupon for a cleaning service for when we our friends stay with us next month :)

47 Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com September 15, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I used to be very anal about cleaning and everything being in it’s proper place, but I’ve gotten much better about that after having kids. It’s IMPOSSIBLE to keep everything in the right place with midgets. Our house is now clean as in we wipe the counters and don’t leave food out to rot but messy with toys and clothes and junk lying everywhere.

48 Aleyta September 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I ate polenta yesterday, from Whole Foods. It was amazing! So I’m a total clean freak. I clean all day, when my daughter naps, when I wake up…my husband will clean when I ask, and he’ll do a really good job but I need to make him a honey do list first :)

49 Ali @ Ali Runs September 15, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I hope my future hubby loves to clean because as of right now I’m a disaster when it comes to that aspect. I can live with my apartment being on the messy side because I live by myself. I always feel better when I clean everything, but it just takes me a while to actually clean.

50 Megan @ Long Distance Relationship September 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

My boyfriend and I are pretty similar, we try to be neat but when we have a busy week things in our apartment get messy fast!

Overall I do more dishes, and clean the bathroom. He takes garbage/recycling out and does the vacumming.

I read somewhere though that sometimes its worth to splurge and get a cleaning lady and spend the extra time together (instead of our Saturday time after our long runs cleaning) . We do it once a month and the place gets that deep clean and it makes us both more relaxed!

51 Claudia September 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I do like polenta and I do like oats! I’ll give the idea a try the next time I cook up some polenta. Thanks! As for the cleaning, my husband is such a neat freak, sometimes I poke fun at him and put things out of place on purpose. He’ll put them back in place (probably about 90% of the time) but he knows that I do it on purpose. Just a little game we play with each other :)

52 Reenie September 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Ok….that’s prob why I’m still single….and love it! HA! That would drive me crazy. I’m not saying that I’m not ever messy ~ I look around now and there is clean laundry piled on the dryer that I need to hang up. I had a niece live with me for a year….oh my ~ never again unless I lay down some ground rules. :o I’d come home and dirty dishes were in the sink. I have a dishwasher….uhm ~ it takes about 5 secs to put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher!!

53 B n B September 15, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I live solo so no comment. But I’m disorganized enough as is. On the surface, it can seem fine, but behind closets and tucked in drawers is a nothing but chaos – and crap. I’ve read that clutter can actually increase anxiety – and I firmly believe it.

54 Wendy September 15, 2011 at 11:51 pm

We are fairly opposite, but in different ways. He’s super neat and needs clean counters in the kitchen, and removes clutter on a whim. While I am the type that leaves things in ‘strategic’ piles, but I always remember where I put things. Thus the conflict – he sometimes clears my piles and then I can never find them again because he is so absent minded! However, he’s not so good about cleaning other parts of the house, and that’s where I come in once a week to deal with all the dust, bathrooms and floors!

55 Charise September 16, 2011 at 9:59 am

My husband is a germ freak, and I’m an organizational freak. It’s good in that we generally end up with both a clean and organized house, but we end up annoyed that the other one can’t do things our way (e.g., for me, everything has a place and it should be put back there, whereas he just sort of wings it). We keep the kitchen clean after dinner and the family room picked up every day, but the bathrooms don’t get cleaned nearly enough, and vaccuming and dusting occur only occasionally. We each do our own laundry, and mine tends to erupt all over the closet until I decide to do it every 3 weeks or so, hah.

56 Charise September 16, 2011 at 10:01 am

Oh, I also meant to say that the reason some of the vacumming/dusting/bathroom deep cleaning doesn’t get done is because we’ve made the decision that enjoying our lives is more important than having a completely spotless house. We like to travel a lot, go out with friends, and just relax at home, so have figured out what level of cleanliness makes us feel good, and let the rest slide to keep stress low when things gets busy.

57 Jessica September 16, 2011 at 11:07 am

My Husband and I both try to keep things neat. A clean house really has a calming effect on the soul and we both like to be lazy, but we like more to take a deep breath, look around and be in love with our little home.

Since he works more hours and makes more money than I do, AND since I actually like to cook and clean, I tend to do a lot of the daily household chores and cook breakfasts/dinners. He is Garbage Man and takes care of the kitty chores, feeds the fish, waters his garden and puts up with me :D

58 Megan @ Who Me, Run? September 16, 2011 at 11:52 am

I am just like you! I always have the best intentions when it comes to cleaning. I’ll stay on the computer for too long and realize it’s 5 and my boyfriend will be home soon. Or I start and get bored after the first task.