Peace, Love, and Yoga

by Meghann on September 10, 2011

Once again, Rasa-Lila Fest reminded me why I love yoga.

It isn’t always about what yoga does for my body or my mind (though those are two major pluses!), but it’s also about the amazing community that develops around it. It’s the community that doesn’t judge you when you’ve fallen out of a pose, they don’t care if you spend the majority of practice in child’s pose, and one that encourages love and laughter. I <3 these guys!

I had the pleasure of spending the day with Katy, Carolina, and Victoria at the Orlando Rasa-Lila Fest. I had attended the Tampa Rasa-Lila Fest back in April and couldn’t wait to sink my teeth into another full day of yoga. I began my yoga journey in Orlando, so it felt good to get back to my roots and see a few familiar faces in the yoga community. :)

With a 50% chance of rain, we lucked out with nothing, but blue skies for the outdoor event. The festival took place in a beautiful park in Windmere and had two yoga stages, a mediation center, paddle boards, and a vendor village set up. There was a yoga class every hour, on the hour, and it toggled between the two stages.

We started the day with the group Salutation Nation practice led by teachers from three separate studios. I liked how the three different studios came together to lead the class in unity, it really spoke to the overall message of Salutation Nation, where the goal is to have the whole world come together and practice yoga at the exact same time.

The Salutation Nation practice was the first of three classes I attended throughout the day. Each class was led by a different teacher and each practice had it’s own, unique flow to it. It was really refreshing to change up the classes, but by the third one my arms and legs were burning.

Child’s pose was welcomed and encouraged. 😉

The best part of the day was practicing with my old teacher, Kelly. I gave her a big hug and told her how much I miss practicing at Orlando Power Yoga. She needs to open a Tampa Power Yoga stat!

You really don’t know someone until you practice yoga with them.

For instance: I didn’t know how flexible Carolina is

How hardcore Katy is

Or how hilarious Victoria is

They probably learned how much I love doing handstands…

… and my secret that I can really only hold that pose for .5 seconds before falling down. 😉

See my shirt?

It was a sample FiveBamboo had sent me when we were in the middle of designing the Healthy Living Summit shirts. It’s blue, it’s comfy, and I really love the cut – which is why I ultimately chose the scoop neck design.

Randomly, Katy and I were discussing FiveBamboo – and the Healthy Living Summit shirts – when I saw a guy in the distance wearing one. At first I thought I was seeing things (what guy in Orlando has a HLS shirt?), then I recognized the face.

Everyone say, ‘Hi Mark!!.’

Mark works with Drink Chia – one of our amazing HLS sponsors and one of the sponsors at Rasa Lila Fest this year. Small world, right?

I haven’t seen the Drink Chia team since HLS, so it was fun to catch up.

I also sampled the Pear Drink Chia. It was good, but strawberry is still my favorite. :)

Speaking of sponsors, I also tracked down my friends at Mix1 in attendance.

I was both hungry and thirsty, so when Danielle handed me the acai-pomegrante flavor to try, I immediately chugged it. However, I would not suggest doing yoga on a full stomach of Mix1 – there were a couple of times where it felt like I was *this close* to twisting and turning the shake right out of my system.

Besides the wonderful folks at Drink Chia and Mix1, the vendor village was made up mostly of various yoga studios and – as my Dad likes to call it – other ‘hippie’ places around Orlando.

We took our time going from booth to booth – spinning wheels or entering raffles for free yoga classes, massages, and yoga gear. There was even one for a bikini wax that I wanted (1 month until my cruise), but I didn’t win. :(

The Thai-Yoga Bodywork booth immediately caught mine and Katy’s attention.

We saw two guys twisting, stretching, and pulling individuals and knew we had to try it for ourselves.

The guys consulted what we needed to work on.

Then, immediately got to work.

Basically, it was the best stretch/ massage I’ve ever had. The guy (I wish I remembered his name!) twisted my body in ways that hurt so bad, that it felt good. He really worked on my IT band, then cracked my back by simultaneously picking me up from the side and kneeing my back. It was only 15 minutes, but those 15 minutes made all the difference in the world. The team is based in Tampa, I may need to track them down after my HIM in a couple of weeks!

My food was kind of random through the day. Instead of having a solid lunch, I sort of snacked myself through the event.

I also discovered a food truck that will make a few bloggers swoon.

Yep – Frozen Banana Soft Serve. If I ate bananas I would have been all over this. 😉

I lasted at Rasa Lila-Fest until 3:00 – when the clouds started rolling in – I knew it was time to go.

Overall, I LOVED the festival. The yoga was good, the location good, and the people were great. I would come back next year in a heart beat.

Thank you Rasa-Lila Fest for another AWESOME event!

Rasa Lila Festival 06.jpg

Namaste. :)

1 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs September 10, 2011 at 6:22 pm

That’s a Dandy tumbler! Woo :) I wasn’t sure what to think of the event just from the fliers and word around town but it looks like y’all had fun!!
Katherina @ Zephyr Runs recently posted..Tackling Credit Card Debt

2 Hillary September 10, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I just got a free pass to a local yoga studio this week; I cannot wait to use it. I haven’t done yoga in MONTHS, and this just made me crave it hardcore.
Hillary recently posted..Sauced

3 Bess September 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Did you take gymnastics? Based on your handstand, I’d say yes! Glad it was a wonderful day!
Bess recently posted..More 9-11 Observances

4 Meghann September 10, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Yes – I did. I was also a cheerleader back in the day.

5 Bess September 11, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I knew cheerleader but not gymnastics… Cool!

6 Carolyn September 10, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Looks like an amazing day!

I was bummed to be out of town for Tampa’s Rasa-Lila this year, but I’m definitely marking the calendar for next years.
Carolyn recently posted..Welcome to Maine

7 Emma September 10, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Are you on a diet?

8 Jessica September 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Your obsession with asking this question in every post is quite odd to me :/

9 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 10, 2011 at 6:57 pm

It looks like you guys had an awesome time :) Maybe I’ll FINALLY end up going next year
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Young & Naive

10 Kait @ One Love Run September 10, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I went to our local salutation nation this morning, but a 3hour festival of yoga looks amazing! what a great saturday!
Kait @ One Love Run recently posted..Blackout x 2

11 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign September 10, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Do you not like bananas?!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..I am Not a Graphic Designer

12 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep September 10, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I wish I could have been there! I got almost there and then realized I needed to get gas or I would run out before I got there, but I left my wallet at home. I had to go home and get it, and by the time I did, I missed the start of Salutation Nation. I’m so disappointed :(

So glad you guys had a great time!
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Orlando Lady Bloggers Dinner at El Bodegon

13 heather September 10, 2011 at 7:55 pm

What a fun day! So cool you saw the drink cChia guys! Sounds like a great time. Btw I keep forgetting to use my five bamboo code to buy something!
heather recently posted..Happy Together

14 Cynthia @ Cynthia's Adventures September 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Sounds like an amazing day!! I did Thai Yoga before as well as my co-worker was getting her certification I was her guinea pig :) Loved it as well!!
Cynthia @ Cynthia’s Adventures recently posted..Asics, Saucony, Vibrams, which one is right?!

15 Sana September 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm

What a fun event!!

16 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner September 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Looks like so much fun! Wish they had something like this in St. Louis!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..weekend reads

17 Brynne September 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm

My mom is a physical therapist and always does the stretches for me – they feel soooo good when my arms and legs are feeling tight!
Brynne recently posted..Don’t Call It a Comeback

18 cathy September 10, 2011 at 9:04 pm

thanks for sharing about your day! i would love to attend an event like that – esp outdoors in florida!
glad you had such an awesome time.
cathy recently posted..first moksha yoga experience + first day

19 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 10, 2011 at 9:19 pm

That is so crazy- I’ve always called banana soft serve ‘frozen banana treat!’ Haha!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Spend Less in September- Brown Rice and Lentils

20 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 10, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Looks like such a fun day! That thai yoga sounds pretty amazing.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin banana chocolate chip bread

21 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm

This just reminds me that I NEED yoga back in my life 😉

Looks super fun!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Fall Food : Apples

22 Kristy September 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Are you getting paid to promote mix 1? its a little weird how much you suddenly mention them.

23 Meghann September 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I’m not, I’ve just become friends with the reps and really do like the product.

24 Cait's Plate September 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm

What an awesome event – I have serious yoga envy right now!! It’s always so nice to be reminded of why yoga is so great simply by doing it.

25 Raya September 11, 2011 at 12:01 am

Ah! I miss Kelly at OPY too! I have yet to find an awesome studio in Phoenix that I love as much.
Raya recently posted..My Life in 10 Years

26 Ashley September 11, 2011 at 12:40 am

I’m spent. I’ve been reading for over two years, but over the past few months, the ridiculous amount of advertisements have been a huge turnoff, which is pretty crazy because I work IN advertising. I don’t read blogs to hear about what companies they work for, which is all I see here lately. I’m sorry but coming from the business, the phrase “I work for them but my opinion is 100% honest” is total BS. From the products you use lately, to the events you participate in, everything seems to be a PAID FOR front.

27 Meghann September 11, 2011 at 5:54 am

I don’t work for any of these companies – I’m friends with them. I’m sorry I know I’ve been heavy on the Mix1 lately, but that’s because I’ve really been drinking them and hanging out with my friends who do work fo them. I agree I have been a little heavy on it lately, but none of these companies are paying me. How do I get around drinking a product without mentioning them? Pour it in a glass and say I had a pre-bottled protein shake?

28 Meghann September 11, 2011 at 6:42 am

Eekkk…way to early for responding to comments. Multiple grammar mistakes and I sound rude. :(

29 michelle September 11, 2011 at 1:08 am

All that yoga in one day? Wow. I can’t even stand yoga for more than an hour! I just can’t find a groove yet with it.
michelle recently posted..Germany–I’m Lovin’ It

30 Lara @TresLaLa September 11, 2011 at 1:50 am

Looks like such an amazing day! And wow – I REALLY want to find a Thai-Yoga Bodyworks here in LA. Sounds amazing – my IT bands & hips would be forever grateful!
Lara @TresLaLa recently posted..A Triathlon Haiku

31 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 11, 2011 at 2:10 am

Wait… you don’t eat bananas?? What the heck, how have a missed this?? Are you allergic??
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Picture Post 9/10

32 Anne September 11, 2011 at 4:26 am

There shouldn’t be a comma after nothing:

With a 50% chance of rain, we lucked out with nothing[,] but blue skies for the outdoor event.

33 Dina September 11, 2011 at 7:40 am

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun! If I hadn’t had another event that day, I so would have been there. Next time for sure. :)
Dina recently posted..Long Run Saturday

34 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 11, 2011 at 8:57 am

Looks like an amazing day. Ive only every practiced Bikram so I am kind of excited to see what else is out there in terms of yoga classes. This looks like a blast!
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Rolling On the River…

35 mi-an d. September 11, 2011 at 11:27 am

hey there megan (spelling?), i’m one of ur lurkers. i’ve been reading your blog for past months now … just wanted to say hello! i live in the bay area, ca but my whole fam was just in orlando all last week for my nephew’s 1st bday! we left friday. had i known about this yoga i would have booked my flight out saturday! i LOVE yoga!! anyways, i saw your dress from your blog the other day, rohre dress? i checked out the site and it looks sooo cuute!! i think ima get me one! anyway, have a wonderful day!

36 Amanda September 11, 2011 at 11:51 am

Looks like such a fun event!!
Amanda recently posted..09/11/11: What do we do?

37 Victoria September 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Yay! I had so much fun with y’all yesterday, although I am super sore today! My hips are barking at me. I guess I need more pigeon pose in my life.

Hope your bike ride went well!
Victoria recently posted..Rasa-Lila Yoga Festival

38 Allison September 11, 2011 at 9:04 pm

TJ’s has frozen banana slices dipped in chocolate that I’ve been meaning to try but I think having a whole box in the house might be lethal 😛
Allison recently posted..Mighty Fine Food

39 Carolina @ Peas in a Blog September 12, 2011 at 11:23 am

I had so much fun with you; totally riding the yoga high even today. So glad we got to go 7 share a day of yoga, friends & fun!

40 Sophie September 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Looks like a VERY cool event!
Sophie recently posted..PGL & 9/11 Memories.