HIM Training: Week 13

by Meghann on September 5, 2011

Time to roll the dice – we’re on lucky week 13!

A look back:

Original Week 13:

Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 10.17.36 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 10.17.48 AM.png

Actual Week13:

Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 2.10.01 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 2.10.14 PM.png

Noticed how the original plan had FOUR bricks in it. Ouch. To be honest, I’ve been in such a groove with training that I didn’t even look at the original training plan before diving in and doing my own thing. If I HAD looked I might have worked in another brick or so. We’re getting down to the wire here!

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

• Rest

Totals:

• Run: 20 miles
  • Bike: 72 miles
  • Swim: 3900 yds
  • Strength: 2x
  • Yoga: 1.5 hrs

Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 2.29.05 PM.png

(via dailymile )

I was focused this week. I knew I wanted to get at least a double digit run in, I knew I wanted to get a 40 mile bike ride in, and I knew I wanted to do yoga. I worked my butt off and got it all in.

The deeper I get into training, the earlier my mornings are becoming. I was up by 5:30 every morning this week without going to bed any earlier. The swims and the bike rides are really the most time consuming. Both require driving to a new destination and both require additional equipment besides shoes. Lugging the bike in and out of my car is the worst. I actually started looking at new cars this week for that very reason, then I realized I don’t need a new car and I was being ridiculous. Having 4 doors or a cargo area isn’t going to solve anything.

I made the decision this week to stick with New Rules of Lifting For Women through the duration of training (I’ll take the week of the race off). I’m feeling stronger and seeing results – in the long run I believe sticking with the training program is only going to complement my training and make me a better athlete. Hopefully I won’t be kicking myself in the butt come race time!

We entered the final month in the training calendar this week. No more flipping or scrolling – this is it! D-day is at the end of this month and there’s no turning back. πŸ™‚

Back to Tampa

The drive to Tampa was uneventful.

I shed a few tears reading the latest People…

I ate a pear…

And indulged in Starbucks.

IMG_2625.jpg

I bribe Derek with Starbucks so he’ll drive. Work every time. πŸ˜‰

We reheated some of yesterday’s pizza for lunch.

mmm… figs….

The figs are officially all gone. I promise no more crazy fig lady tangents. I’ve had my fix for the season. πŸ˜‰

1 rachel September 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm

OMG half ironman!! that is so amazing! i’m running my first 1/2 marathon in 8 weeks (eek) and did 3 sprint tri’s this summer…so now my goal is to do two olympics next summer and MAYBE a half iron. i’m terrified though! that swim is CRAZY long! i will definitely be checking back on your training plans. way to be inspirational πŸ™‚

2 michelle September 5, 2011 at 3:30 pm

That cover story of People makes me just want to cry right now. Has it really been 10 years?
michelle recently posted..Frankfurt Marathon Training: Week 10

3 Ashley September 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I can’t imagine doing 13 hours of training in one week! You’re rockin’ it!
Ashley recently posted..Adventures in Portland Continued

4 Courtney September 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Nice job this week! I’m currently training for my first Olympic triathlon and it’s really taking it out of me lately. I noticed my numbers (mileage/yardage wise) are really high; however, I picked my plan from an Olympic triathlon training site, so I assume it’s suitable. Did you create your own or did you pick yours from somewhere?
Courtney recently posted..When Things Are Good, They’re Great!

5 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm

You’ve inspired me to think of a recipe with figs & goat cheese… I’m on it!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Pancakes of Hearts

6 Angela September 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I don’t know what type of car you have but can’t you get a bike rack for your car? I recently bought a bike and am getting a rack that goes on the back as my car doesn’t have 4 doors.

7 Meghann September 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I know. I’m looking into a bike rack. πŸ™‚

8 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm

oooooh not long to go now!!!!

9 Corey @ Learning Patience September 5, 2011 at 6:09 pm

OK, it’s official – You are a total ROCK STAR!
xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Getting Back to Normal

10 Hillary September 5, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Your HIM recaps officially make me feel like a slug ; )

Seriously though, you are kicking some serious ass.
Hillary recently posted..Seasonal Smoothie

11 Cait's Plate September 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Haha – I would totally be a sucker for that bribe! Derek is a smart man πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..French Toast Brunch

12 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce September 5, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Totally bought so many figs today!!
hence the figberry tart haha

13 Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl September 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Oh wow. There is no way I could make it through that People magazine. I am always so conflicted about the press and marketing of 9/11. It just makes me so sad.

14 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm

i’m going to miss the figs!

i read that issue of people in bed the other night. heartbreaking.
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..coffee talk {preview of the coming week!}.

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 5, 2011 at 7:08 pm

My car is tiny, so I can’t take my bike anywhere! Major bummer. I need a bike rack!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Belated Eighteen and Chicago Marathon Training- Week 8

16 Sarah September 5, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Love my bike rack! Just hooks on the trunk and only takes 2 minutes to get on and off!

17 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Your training is so inspiring!! giving me the kick in the butt I need to sign up for a race and get crackin’.

My Hubs usually makes me drive now haha, but he bribes ME with things like Whole Foods and sbux πŸ™‚
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..My Weekend…

18 Kelly September 5, 2011 at 8:31 pm

You should look into a bike rack for your car. I got one for mine and it makes a world of difference. You had a great week. Good for you!

19 mary September 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Look at you with your awesome training! πŸ˜€ Go girl!
mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Bacon Wrapped Brusels Sprouts

20 Ali @ Ali Runs September 5, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Congrats on sticking with the training plan! I know you’ll rock the HIM– I’ve really enjoyed following your training so far. Keep up the good work!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Oak Tree Half Marathon Recap

21 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 5, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I saw that issue of People and honestly couldn’t pick it up to read it. I can only imagine… All these training recaps make me excited to read about the race recap coming up so soon for you guys!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Happy Labor Day!

22 Chuck September 6, 2011 at 1:25 am

Looks like its going well! When is the race and which is it??
Chuck recently posted..Coconut Meat Sauce

23 Jen September 6, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Have you thought about getting a bike rack for your car? They’re easy to take on and off. Thule makes good ones… I got a used Thule bike rack of Craigslist for $20. It clips onto the trunk in a couple of places – not sure what kind of car you have, but this was perfect for any sedan. The straps are adjustable. Check it out, it definitely helps me get my bike out to more places when I don’t have to think about taking my front wheel off to fit my bike in the car.

24 Sophie September 6, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I can’t believe it’s week 13 of your training already! Keep it up! πŸ™‚
Also…I think you got your pear picture mixed up….
Sophie recently posted..Definitely Not Lost For Words.