River Road

by Meghann on September 3, 2011

Views like these make waking up at 5:30am for a 40 mile ride worth it.

Beautiful. πŸ™‚

Coming home for the weekend makes me excited for many reasons – seeing my family, my Dad’s cooking, Maddie burning off energy with Scooby, a fully stocked bar, etc. – BUT above all that it also means having a training buddy who doesn’t mind waking up at the butt crack of dawn for a long bike ride.

When I asked my little brother Ben if he wanted to ride with me this weekend it wasn’t a matter of yes or no, it was simply the question of where and how far. He didn’t bat an eye when I requested leaving the house before 6:00am and when I suggested the beautiful river roadway that he has the pleasure riding weekly, he said sure. πŸ™‚

We were both up before dawn. I raided my parents’ pantry for pre-ride fuel and found a packet of original instant oatmeal. I heated it with some fresh figs (apparently they had taken advantage of the BOGO deal last week too), a tiny spoonful of the sugar/cinnamon mix my Dad keeps by the toaster, and a dollop of peanut butter.

It wasn’t pretty, but it did the trick. πŸ˜‰

We headed to Cocoa Village for the ‘River Road’ ride (or as I was referring to it last night – the ‘Space Coast Trail’ since it’s the same route the Space Coast marathon takes every year). The River Road goes a long a gorgeous stretch of road from Cocoa to Rockledge that hugs the river. You have million dollar houses on one side and the sun rising over the water on the other. It was a nice change of scenery from the interstate-hugging trail I’m used to.

We met up with our friends Rachel and Eric for the planned 40 mile ride.

It worked out great. Eric and Ben took the lead up front; and Rachel and I held our own in the back. πŸ™‚

The River Road ride consists of a north end and a south end for a double out and back. We took the north end first and doubled back for 13 miles. The north side had a few fun hills that were great for training for Augusta.

The Rive Road is unique because you see more cyclists and runners on the road than actual cars. Rachel and I rode side by side and only had to move over every once in a while to let a car go by. There was no bike lane, but I felt safe the entire time.

We finished the north end and doubled back through Cocoa Village before heading South.

Cocoa Village is such a cute area with little restaurants, cafes, and shops. It’s a shame I didn’t take advantage of it when I lived at home. Back then my friends and I would just drive to Orlando every weekend, we should have just been heading here.

We faced a headwind going south, but nothing too tough to handle. We reached the turn around point around at mile 20 and I had a granola bar before moving on.

IMG_2361.jpg

We ended up doing the south end twice to get us to 40 miles. Rachel and I stuck together for the majority of the ride, but ended up splitting for the last 6 miles. It was a nice easy ride and I was grateful to have great friends to ride with.

Final numbers:

Since we went a little over 40 miles, I’ll consider this a new PDR. πŸ˜‰

Ben and I loaded our bikes and head back to my parents’ house for breakfast.

We stopped at Sunrise Bakery for scones.

I got an orange date scone, but just took a bite and saved the rest for later.

And an iced coffee.

IMG_2373.jpg

Dad made us homemade biscuits and gravy with scrambled eggs when we made it home. It was fabulous. πŸ™‚

Football season has taken over my parents’ living room. I’m all about college football (GO NOLES!), but I’m hoping I can pull the gang into the sunshine today. πŸ˜‰

Happy Saturday!

1 Cait's Plate September 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I totally agree – sometimes I run around where I am and think that the scenery alone makes it SO worth it.

That biscuit looks AWESOME!!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Atlanta Pancakes

2 kathleen @ the daily crumble September 3, 2011 at 12:59 pm

what a beautiful morning ride, meghann!!

your dad’s breakfasts always make me so super jealous… and that scone… mouthwatering {i’m a sucker for scones}. i can’t believe how far along you are in tri training. what a great accomplishment!! happy saturday πŸ™‚
kathleen @ the daily crumble recently posted..sunny saturday {pumpkin protein pancakes}

3 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Speaking of college football… GO KNIGHTSS!!!!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Body Clock Strikes Back

4 Ben@Shirtlessben.com September 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Agreed

5 kathleen @ the daily crumble September 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm

what a beautiful morning ride, meghann!!

your dad’s breakfasts always make me so super jealous. and that scone… mouth watering!! i can’t believe how far along you are in tri training. so exciting, you should be very proud!

happy saturday!

6 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner September 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Looks like a beautiful ride! Sounds like you’re just about ready for that Half Ironman in a few weeks! I’m jealous of the gorgeous weather you guys are having in Florida!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..“you’re an inspiration”

7 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 3, 2011 at 1:06 pm

what a beautiful morning ride, meghann!

youre dad’s breakfasts always make me so super jealous!! i hope your mom had a wonderful birthday and that you all enjoy a weekend together celebrating. happy saturday!

8 Sweet and Savvy September 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Wow! Those are some Amazing views! πŸ™‚ perfect morning!

9 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 3, 2011 at 1:32 pm

That’s a great place for a long bike ride! I wish I had someplace that pretty to run πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..The Three S’s of September

10 Hillary September 3, 2011 at 1:34 pm

What an awesome way to kick off your weekend. I wish we had trails like that here in Maryland!
Hillary recently posted..Rookie Mistake

11 Ali @ Ali Runs September 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm

My mom always has a cinnamon/sugar mix that she puts on toast. It reminds me of home every time! πŸ™‚ Great job on the bike ride! Working out is always so much better with friends AND even better with gorgeous views! So pretty.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Atlantic City Marathon Splits

12 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) September 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

That looks like a really good breakfast, and a good ride! I grew up in the town where I went to college – we weren’t a big football school by any means. The nearest big mall was a two hour drive away, so I spent a lot of time exploring the small shops in town. I still miss my hometown coffee shop πŸ™‚
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Sick?

13 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler September 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I can’t believe you HIM is coming up so soon!
Nice job on the PDR! πŸ™‚

14 Hilary September 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Great eats and great views….looks like a great day!
Hilary recently posted..Good and Bad

15 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food September 3, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Awesome job on your bike ride!

and HOLY YUM to that delicious breakfast mm mmm πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..I Get By With a Little Help from My {Fitness} Friends

16 wymberley September 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I wish I had taken advantage of all the little spots around when I lived in colorado! Living here in south Texas all we get is BBQ!
wymberley recently posted..Planning a 5k: Remembrance Day 5k In Uvalde, TX

17 Sana September 3, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Your family is a hardcore training family, loveee it!
Sana recently posted..What is Taro?

18 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 3, 2011 at 4:37 pm

oh how PRETTY!! I love those pictures πŸ™‚

19 Sophie September 3, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Wow, the sky is beautiful!
Sophie recently posted..Checking In!

20 Ash Bear September 3, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Great job today!!!

21 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ September 3, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Sounds like a great way to start the morning!! I love those natures path bars! I was so happy to get the coupon in our swag bag because they are absolutely delicious! But honestly, what chocolate peanut butter combo isn’t?!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..5 Reasons Why Cruising ROCKS

22 Army Amy* September 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Yeay for a great ride! Are you and the sibs planning to stick together during the HIM or go at your own individual paces?*
Army Amy* recently posted..Thoughts I Thought…

23 Meghann September 3, 2011 at 10:29 pm

We’re going at our own paces. πŸ™‚

24 Alaina September 3, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I am totally missing bike riding every time I read your posts.

Question: Here in Boston, it seems like everyone on bikes ignore street signs. I can’t even count how many people I’ve seen that have just gone through red lights. Do you see that down where you are?
Alaina recently posted..Down For The Count

25 Meghann September 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm

It depends on the road. this morning we paid attention to the stop light (there was only one big intersection to deal with), but the stop signs were unfortunately another story.

26 Emily@SavoryandSavage September 3, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Your Dad’s biscuits and gravy always looks sooo good!
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..While I was out

27 Allison September 4, 2011 at 9:46 am

Looks like a beautiful [and fun] route! I just told my fiance “we need to get bikes!”
Allison recently posted..[Bring] Me Some [Sausage] and [Pinkberry]

28 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 4, 2011 at 11:14 am

I love biscuits and gravy! So delicious. Sounds like a great ride!

29 Cara September 4, 2011 at 11:35 am

good job on the long ride. the view does look beautiful.