more ยป" />

Swollen Maddie

by Meghann on September 2, 2011

My poor baby. Look at that pitiful face. ๐Ÿ™

I took Maddie in for her annual shots yesterday afternoon. I finally found a vet I liked in town and she was due for her fair share of poking.

She did great. She played well with the other dogs in the waiting room, never barked at any of the staff, and only had a minor case of the shakes when the doctor examined her. She passed every test with flying colors and even received a few compliments for her cuteness in the process.

I was one proud Mama. ๐Ÿ™‚

Unfortunately, post-vet Maddie didn’t do so hot. Right after I left for yoga last night she had a little incident where she decided bring back up all those treats the vet gave her and, after I returned, I noticed her face was beginning to swell.

I panicked for a second, then called the vet. Since it was a shot-related incident she recommended I bring her in just to be sure.

The staff at the doggie ER were great and immediately took Maddie back to be examined. They pumped her full of benadryl and steroids while I filled out paperwork. It was only a matter of minutes before I saw her smiling, happy face again. Luckily, the swelling and drugs didn’t dampen her spirits. The swelling went down almost immediately and we were free to leave after 20 minutes of watching to make sure she didn’t another flare up.

I was instructed to watch her and give her a half of a benadryl pill if the swelling returned. She’s a little tired this morning, but otherwise doing great. ๐Ÿ™‚

The emergency vet visit resulted in a late night, but it didn’t stop me from waking up with my alarm clock for my 10 miler this morning. I was up and out the door before the sun rose.

A graham cracker with almond butter and chopped dates acted as my running fuel.

I drove to a nearby trail because I didn’t want to have to deal with circling the neighborhoods around me to piece together the distance. Trails are easy – just out and back without much thought to it.

This was my first double digit run since April and , admittedly, I was a little nervous hitting the trail. When you’re marathon training you start to look at 10 mile runs as ‘short long runs,’ but when you’re not knee deep in it – 10 miles can seem like forever when you’re at the beginning. I tried to push all of that out of my mind and took it a water fountain at a time.

2.5 miles to water fountain #1…. 1 mile to water fountain #2…. 1.5 miles to water fountain #3…

Turn around. Repeat.

The water fountains broke the run up and made it feel the teeniest bit bearable.

It wasn’t my fast 10 mile run ever, but I finished and that’s what counts. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had started the run at the perfect time. I was sweaty and hot, but I didn’t feel like I was going to die in the heat. Taking the extra effort to get up early to run in Florida is ALWAYS worth it!

I had a repeat of Wednesday’s Fig-erriffic breakfast this morning.

• Quaker Life
  • Mini Shredded Wheat
  • Vanilla Yogurt
  • Fresh Figs
  • Lemon-Fig Cake crumbles (totally caught Derek still some from the fridge yesterday. maybe he does like lemon cake. ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!!!

IMG_7879.jpg

Today my Mom is turning 35! (for the the 12th time ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Doesn’t she look great?!?! ๐Ÿ™‚

My Mom actually had a minor surgery yesterday and is resting comfortably at home today (some birthday present, right?). Why don’t we all give her a little birthday cheering up by tweeting her Happy Birthday today? I know she’ll get a kick out of!

Just tweet: “Happy Birthday @PACUCathy! “ and let her know she rocks. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh, and did I ever tell you my Mom is twin!

Happy Birthday Aunt Liz!!!

What?! They said they wanted Meals and Miles shirts for Christmas. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 2, 2011 at 10:33 am

Glad Maddie is okay I am sure you were one nervous mama during the whole ordeal!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Let There Be Light & A Simple Single Lady Dinner

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 2, 2011 at 10:34 am

I didn’t know your mom was a twin, guess it runs in the family then!
Happy b-day to her!
Glad Maddie is alright, benadryl is a wonder drug ๐Ÿ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Massage this…

3 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 2, 2011 at 10:35 am

My dog had the same reaction once. Only once. How odd is that?

4 Chloe (In Fine Feather) September 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

Glad to hear Maddie is ok! And Happy Birthday to your Mom ๐Ÿ™‚
Chloe (In Fine Feather) recently posted..Eating for One

5 michelle September 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

Poor doggy. I’m glad she is okay. I would have been panicking like crazy.
michelle recently posted..Baby Fever

6 Candace September 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

Poor Maddie! You’re such a good dog mom. Unsolicited advice from one JRT mama to another: If you call your vet and explain Maddie’s reaction and that you had to take her to the emergency vet, they might comp your visit.

7 jennyv September 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

Poor Maddie… glad to hear she is doing well now.

Just another reason that I choose not to get any vaccines of any kind. (Controversial to some, but definitely something I’ve done a lot of research on and feel comfortable with.)

8 Victoria (District Chocoholic) September 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

I have been reading a lot recently about how long runs should be 30-90 seconds per mile slower than your goal long-race pace. Not sure how many people buy into that or follow it.

9 Kara September 2, 2011 at 10:51 am

Do you run in those big old sunglasses? I’m impressed.

I’m also really impressed that you got up and ran after being at the doggie ER late!

I hope Maddie is feeling all better soon! That’s really scary!
Kara recently posted..Important numbers

10 Meghann September 2, 2011 at 11:10 am

I have sports sun glasses, but I hate them! They’re so skinny! I like BIG glasses to cover all of my eyes ๐Ÿ™‚

11 Carolina @ Peas in a Blog September 2, 2011 at 10:58 am

Was she allergic to the shots? The same thing happened to my dog Rocco & that’s how I found out he’s allergic to vaccines. Now everytime he gets one I have to leave him at the vet a few hours for monitoring. Oh furbabies!
Carolina @ Peas in a Blog recently posted..Soup Barley.

12 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 2, 2011 at 11:01 am

Happy birthday to you mom! And so glad Maddie doing alright. Poor girl!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Bosphorous

13 Ali @ Ali Runs September 2, 2011 at 11:02 am

I can’t believe how much you and your mom look alike!! Happy Birthday to her! ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, so glad Maddie is feeling better. It’s better to be safe then sorry when dealing with pups and post-shot issues.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Fresh Legs, Awesome Run!

14 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 2, 2011 at 11:19 am

Every little animal emergency like that has my heart beating in superspeed. Even the smallest things have me in a panic! Glad he’s okay. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Ride here, ride there

15 Allison September 2, 2011 at 11:21 am

Ah, it’s always scary when a pet is sick! It’s times like those you just wish they could talk and tell you what’s wrong with them ๐Ÿ˜› Happy birthday all around to your momma and her sister! P.S. Your fig bowl looks heavenly- I just want to take a bite!

16 Hillary September 2, 2011 at 11:21 am

Glad Maddie is ok, and happy birthday to your mom!

And I need to make that cake. Like, now.
Hillary recently posted..Rookie Mistake

17 Laurie September 2, 2011 at 11:23 am

Oh poor Maddie, I’m glad she’s OK!!! Was she allergic to the treats the vet gave her? I would call them! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

18 Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! September 2, 2011 at 11:42 am

Daxter went through the EXACT same thing a few months ago! http://honeyishrunkthegretchen.com/2011/06/01/poor-poor-daxter/

I always freak out when it comes to my pups, but seeing him with a totally swollen face was no picnic. The vet also told me that now that he’s had one bad reaction, he’s probably likely to have another so we have to be careful about spacing out his shots from now on. Poo.
Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! recently posted..Got Merch? (Giveaway!)

19 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 2, 2011 at 11:43 am

Hug Maddie for me ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad she is doing well now..

Happy Birthday to your Mom and aunt ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope your mom is feeling better after the op.
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..You say goodbye, and I say hello

20 Erica September 2, 2011 at 11:51 am

oh no! Frank is allergic to bees…so I’ve seen him looking like that before (scared the life out of me!). Happy birthday to your Mom and her sister (my birthday twins ;))
Erica recently posted..Pumpkin Protein Bars & Birthday Fun

21 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas September 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Does Maddie get all of her shots at once? My vet was worried about Fin having bad reactions to multiple shots since he’s a little guy so she put him on an alternating schedule. One year he gets his big combo vaccine (good for 2 years) and he gets the rabies shot in the year he’s not getting the combo. He also gets a smaller dose of the kennel cough shot every 6 months instead a big one every year.
Carly D. @ CarlyBananas recently posted..August Training Recap and Looking Ahead to September

22 meghan September 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Hey Meghann!

Would you mind sharing what trail you went to? I’m running 10 in the morning here in Tampa and don’t know much about the trails or running paths in the area! It would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

23 Meghann September 2, 2011 at 1:00 pm

It was the Upper Tampa Bay Trail

24 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates September 2, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I’m glad your baby is ok! Seeing the pictures from the vet office reminds me of when I was a vet tech in high school. Best high school job ever!

You and your mama look a lot alike ๐Ÿ™‚
Nicole @ PancakesandPilates recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Brownie Cupcakes

25 Nikki September 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I am glad Maddie is okay!! Sick pets are scary! Our retriever is off to the vet right away for his annual shots. I hope our trip goes better than yours!
Did Maddie ever have any issues with any of her other shots? Did she get something new?
I am kinda hating the nice weather I see in the background for your run… it is cold misting and blowing here!!
Nikki recently posted..Pumpkin Oats and Tea!

26 Meghann September 2, 2011 at 1:01 pm

She had a mild reaction last year, but this one was worst than before.

27 Kait @ One Love Run September 2, 2011 at 1:01 pm

your mom must be a nurse with a twitter name like that! awesome!
Kait @ One Love Run recently posted..Irene Knows How to Party

28 Meghann September 2, 2011 at 1:12 pm

haha Yep! she works in the PACU ๐Ÿ™‚

29 Kait @ One Love Run September 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm

good for her, PACU is one of my least favorite things so I’m glad there are nurses like her out there who do it so I don’t have too! haha. Hope she has a great birthday!
Kait @ One Love Run recently posted..Irene Knows How to Party

30 melissa September 2, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Poor Maddie! You’re such a good mom.

Happy Birthday to your mom and aunt.
melissa recently posted..Run, Run, Om

31 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 2, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Happy birthday to your mom and aunt!!

I love a good, long run, NO matter the time ๐Ÿ™‚

32 Mary September 2, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Glad Maddie is OK! My old dog Chloe bit a bee or something outside one day and came in looking like a platypus. A quick trip to the vet for the steroids and Benadryl treatment and she was good as new. I am running my first ever double digit (10 mile) run this week training for a half marathon with my sister later this month. This post is great inspiration. And your slow time would be my fast!!!

33 KatieTX September 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm

That is so cool your mom is a twin and so are you! My fiance’s mom is a twin…I know it usually runs on the female side as far as genetics go but I definitely feel like my chance of having twins is raised! Do you have a premonition you will have twins since you and your mom are one?

34 Danielle @ Long May You Run September 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Glad Maddie is feeling better! When we had Max vaccinated up here in NC, the vet actually warned us he might have an allergic reaction and told us which emergency vet to take him to if he did. Sure enough, that evening he started to break out in hives and get swollen, just like Maddie! (I had to make the trip to the ER for benadryl too!)

Maybe it’s a Jack Russell thing… (or maybe they’re putting different things in vaccinations now?)
Danielle @ Long May You Run recently posted..How to Run 20 Miles (and not die)

35 LeeAnn September 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Haha…love it! I am training for a marathon (my first) in October and am doing a nice short 10 mile race tomorrow for the fun of it! So funny how 10 miles used to seem like an eternity!
LeeAnn recently posted..Top 10 Fall Favorites

36 Army Amy* September 2, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Poor Maddie! I’m glad she’s ok!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Clothes on the Floor

37 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) September 2, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Your mom + Aunt + sister look so much alike!

Happy birthday Cathy!!

I’m so happy little Maddie is ok– I was worried last night ๐Ÿ™
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Hair CUT!

38 mary September 2, 2011 at 8:53 pm

So glad fur baby is okay!! it’s scary when that happens!
mary recently posted..Foodie Friday: Bacon Wrapped Brusels Sprouts

39 RunningOnCoffee September 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Glad Maddie is better! My vet warns about swelling or being a little off within a day or two of the shots. Luckily our pup (60lb greyhound) has never swelled up, I’d freak!

I love that your trail has drinking fountains! I’d love to do a 10 mile run in the heat and be able to use drinking fountains instead of a handheld bottle ๐Ÿ™‚ Someone else commented on your sunglasses- I’m impressed if you run in those too! Used to run in my regular sunglasses which are oversized, but smaller than yours – but they bounced on my face so I caved and got a pair of cycling/running sunglasses.
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Aftermath + 15 miler

40 Sophie September 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Your Mum is a twin too?! Cool!
Awww poor Maddie! I would have been so worried! Glad to hear she’s doing okay now though ๐Ÿ˜€
Sophie recently posted..Checking In!

41 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes September 4, 2011 at 11:18 am

Hold the phone…you’re a twin and your mom is a twin?
WoW!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Nonsenseโ€ฆ

42 Sarah K. September 7, 2011 at 10:00 am

Sorry about Maddie’s reaction =( She is such a cutie! IMO, dogs truly do not need annual vaccinations. If you can find a holistic vet, they will do a titer(basically a blood test that shows the dogs immunity levels) instead of vaccinations. My dogs are 9.5 and 8.5 years old and neither of them have been vaccinated, except for rabies, since they were 1 year old, and are in excellent health. I have competed in agility for several years so my dogs are exposed to lots of other dogs and environments, so I don’t keep them in a bubble to keep them healthy ๐Ÿ˜‰ BTW, I’m new to your blog and I love it!