New Rules of Lifting for Women Stage 2 Recap

by Meghann on September 1, 2011

This is long overdue, but I wanted to throw in a quick recap for Stage 2 of the New Rules of Lifting For Women Plan.

Recap of Stage 1 can be found here.

After a very long and tiring 8 weeks of Stage 1, the short and sweet Stage 2 was a refreshing change up.

Unlike Stage 1, Stage 2 was a quick and dirty plan consisting of only 4 sets of each workout, instead of the previous 8. Each set was a little more challenging with longer workouts (9 workouts opposed to 5), harder moves (dumbbell prone cuban snatch, anyone?), consistent reps (2 sets of 10 reps down the line), and longer rests (75 seconds down the line).

Even with all that, I prefer Stage 2 to Stage 1 in a heartbeat.

Weights

Underhand Grip Lat Pulldown Workout 1 50 lbs
Workout 4 65 lbs
Reverse Lunge from Box Workout 1 8 lbs
Workout 4 12 lbs
Dumbell Prine Cuban Snatch Workout 1 8 lbs
Workout 4 12 lbs

*Note I only included the stats for the workouts that required an increase in weight. Push-ups and crunches were left out of the final numbers.

Stage 2 didn’t feel as if there was enough time to increase weight increments too much, but even a slight raise in numbers over the 4 weeks makes me happy. Any major increases above can probably be traced back to starting out too light – a bad habit I see that I do.

What I liked most was that Stage 2 wasn’t long enough for me to become terribly comfortable with it. It was just enough for me to get the slightest hang of it before moving on. My body grows bored very quickly of the weight room and prefers to be constantly challenged in new ways. Shorter plans allow me to constantly change it up.

Stage 2 felt like it was very core focused. My abs hurt after the first day with the ‘cable hoizontal chop’ found in workout A and the swiss ball/ reverse crunch/ lateral flexion combo in B required a good amount of mat time. I became very comfortable with the ebb and flow of it all.

The only thing I wasn’t a fan of in Stage 2 was the 75 second rests between each rep. I tried really hard to stick with that, but when it came to the time spent on the mat, I felt like I was just twiddling my thumbs. I had to remind myself to step back and relax. Strength training isn’t about how fast you get through the routine and those rests are built in for a reason. I kept thinking back to the book when the author said you would still get a workout speeding through the sets, but it won’t be the same workout and it probably won’t be the one you want. Thinking of that forced me to stick with the rest times as much as I could stand.

Measurements

5/26/11 7/15/11 8/22/11
Chest 34in 34in 34in
Right Bicep 11in 11.25in 11.25in
Left Bicep 10.75in 11.15in 11.15in
Waist 31in 30.25in 30in
Hips 39in 38.65in 38.4in
Right Thigh 21.5in 21.30in 21in
Left Thigh 21in 21in 20.80in

No big changes this stage, just a tiny bit here and there. Nothing is getting crazy bigger, so I’ll take that as a good sign. :)

Photos

Screen shot 2011-07-19 at 11.32.06 AM.png NROLFW Stage1 Complete.png

End of Stage 2 Photos: 8/22/11

IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2217.JPG IMG_2216.JPG

Wow. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting to see a vast improvement in the photos, but having them go down the page like that, I definitely see a difference. Especially in my back. Everything just looks…smoother.

I also feel like the little pouch in my stomach has gone down some. Now, I’m DEFINITELY motivated to kick it into high gear with Stage 3!

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food September 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Keep up the awesome work! :D
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..WIAW Simple Eats {What I Ate Wednesday}

2 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous September 1, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Awesome progress!!!
Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous recently posted..Veil Alternatives

3 Sarah @ SarahFit September 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I LOVE when bloggers promote lifting weights. I HATE when people are like “I don’t want to bulk up” Clearly you are showing that it’s not going to happen even lifting heavy weights. Thanks for sharing, it takes a lot courage to put up picks in a bikini. Keep up the great work!
Sarah @ SarahFit recently posted..Landmark Orchestra Picnic Summer Goodbye

4 Jess@atasteofconfidence September 1, 2011 at 12:29 pm

What great improvements! You look great.
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..The Second City and Flat Farms: Trip Recap

5 TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching September 1, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Wow! Great job! I seriously have no idea what some of these moves are lol but now I want to get my hands on that book :p

you are brave, posting those photos – but good for you! glad you have seen improvements :))

6 Pamela @ girlgonewestblog.com September 1, 2011 at 12:30 pm

You’re so brave to put up photos of yourself like that, but I respect the honesty and transparency SO MUCH. You look fantastic, girl, and I’d be proud if I were you! Keep it up!
Pamela @ girlgonewestblog.com recently posted..Slowing Down

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 1, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love those rows that incorporate core work (like stage 2!) I’ve been switching up my routine and doing those, and I always feel it afterwards.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Laying Down the Law.

8 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

You look great, Meghann!
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..My Packing Tips

9 Ashley September 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Lookin’ good, girl!

10 Laura September 1, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Good job! Super excited for stage 2!
Laura recently posted..My first attempt at Yasso 800s

11 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups September 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Nice progress! You’re looking great!!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Eating in: Stuffed chicken

12 Lauren September 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm

You look fantastic!
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

13 Raffi Darrow September 1, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I see the biggest difference in your back! I hope you are wearing your sunscreen :) Have you been checked for scoliosis? Your shoulders are uneven like mine.

14 Meghann September 1, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I haven’t been checked for scoliosis since I was little, but now that you mention, my shoulders are uneven…

15 Emily September 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I have some slight scoliosis too, and it looks a little like that.
For me it just means one bra strap is hitched a little tighter than the other ;)

16 Angela @ Momethis September 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Great job you look fantastic!! I need you to come train me!
Angela @ Momethis recently posted..Fig-tabulous !

17 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 1, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Awesome gains Meghann!

How do you do Bulgarian Split squats, with a barbell or dumbbells?

18 Meghann September 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm
19 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday September 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Nice. I prefer using dumbbells over the barbell for bulgarians too because the barbell seems to strain my lower back for some reason.

20 courtney (pancakes and postcards) September 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm

you look awesome!!

21 Cait's Plate September 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm

You’re looking awesome!! There is definitely a noticeable difference!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Using Up Summer Fruit

22 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen September 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Nice job! I definitely see some improvement in those pics too. I agree with the 75 second rests in stage 2, they are my least favorite. In fact, I find myself cutting them short b/c I just don’t feel like it’s necessary. The only other thing I’m not digging about this stage is the interval training at the end of 2B. I’ve only done it once out of 3 workouts. I feel like I already do interval training with running and usually the days when I do NROLFW aren’t scheduled to be running days for a reason so I’ve struggled with that part. I’m excited for stage 3 soon too!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sundried tomato pesto & pantry pasta

23 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs September 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I am really confused by the workouts (I REALLY need to buy the book. Still afraid of the weights area) – but you look great!! I haven’t stared so intently as a woman’s ass before as I just did to yours – but that’s where I see the most results :) Hee. Can’t wait to hear about Stage 3!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Raising a Daddy’s Girl

24 Meghann September 1, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Ha! I’m pretty sure I’ve ever stared at my own butt as intently either!

25 Margo September 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Great job!! I read this book, but I confess it’s been sitting on my shelf since. You’ve inspired me to break it out and hit the weight room!!

26 michelle September 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Great job! Your back does look different and overall you look more toned. Keep it up!
michelle recently posted..August in Review

27 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life September 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Wow you can definetly see some great changes!!!!! Goes to show you how important ST can really be!!!

28 Kaitlin September 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Awesome job! I love seeing improvement when doing weights.

Also girl, you look fantastic! Your thighs especially look more toned. Great work!
Kaitlin recently posted..Half Marathon Training for the Football Obsessed

29 kristen (inspiredbydooce) September 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

You’re definitely looking leaner (but not meaner?)! Nice work.
I need to get back to weights. I love the challenge!
kristen (inspiredbydooce) recently posted..three things thusday- the yoga, farts, and donkeys edition

30 Kathleen September 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm

You look so ripped and toned. Definitely a motivation to start lifting again. I always feel so much stronger when I do it but for some reason weight training falls of my list of priorities. It’s time to get serious and maybe give the book a try. Also you might want to stop over and read my post about volunteering for the Syracuse HIM last year. Beware of those water bottles at aid stations in your upcoming HIM – it’s down right dangerous.
Kathleen recently posted..And Then There Were Three

31 Meghann September 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for the tip! Checking out your post now.

32 mary September 1, 2011 at 2:33 pm

You go girl! You look fantastic! :)
mary recently posted..30 Day Challenge

33 Shayla @ The Good Life September 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm

You look great Meghann! I’ve always read that the key to shaping and tightening the body is to add in strength training and not do just cardio, and you’re proof of that! Awesome job! :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Happy September!…And New Goals

34 Hillary September 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I know what you’re saying about rests between sets. I always rush through, even though I know I should give myself time to chill out. Patience is not my virtue!
Hillary recently posted..Stuffed

35 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Whoa, girl!! That’s awesome! Great job! I have to get my hands on that book for sure.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Ride here, ride there

36 Nikki September 1, 2011 at 4:27 pm

You can definitely see the progress! Wow! I always thought you looked fit before, but now even more so! Thanks for sharing these reviews of NROLFW!! I might have to get ahold of it and try the workouts!
Nikki recently posted..A Day of Firsts…

37 Hilary September 1, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Nicely done…looks like a great plan!
Hilary recently posted..Teff Love

38 Army Amy* September 1, 2011 at 5:55 pm

You look great! Work it, girl!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Boots-ya!

39 Alaina September 1, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Great job Meghann!! I just bought the NROLFW book and I’m looking forward to start! Did you find that the book was easy to follow? I’m always afraid of getting to the gym, not knowing the workouts and then waste time just reading it instead of actually working out. Haha.
Alaina recently posted..An Unwanted House Guest

40 Hilary September 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm

You look great! Keep up the good work!

41 Tricia September 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm

You can totally see a difference… awesome job!

42 Ali @ Ali Runs September 1, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Awesome job! I’m about to start Stage 1 next week! I’m excited that you’re seeing such great results!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Enjoy Life

43 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I can see LOTS of changes! You’re killing it Meghann!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Polite Food

44 Carissa September 1, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I think you look great in those photos! And to lose inches progressively on your waist and thighs is great! Muscle burns more calories than fat!!!

Keep lifting girl! I love it! I’m so happy you’re spreading the strength training love!
Carissa recently posted..Arm-ageddon – Biceps & Tricep Workout

45 Jenn September 1, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I randomly found this book at Border’s for $1.20, so I couldn’t pass that up! I am scared of the weight room though!

46 Liz September 1, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Wow! You can definitely tell the difference with the photos – looking good :)

47 Allison September 2, 2011 at 11:27 am

Great job- keep up the hard work! One of my girlfriends and I decided last night that we need to whip up some new workout routines and shape up… Any tips?!
Allison recently posted..Color Coded Classroom

48 Sophie September 3, 2011 at 9:52 am

Massive improveent in the photos! Keep it up :)
Sophie recently posted..The One Where I Pour My Heart Out.

49 Mary Lynne September 4, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Wow, you can totally tell the difference! Great job. I may have to check out that book, I need a good weightlifting program.
Mary Lynne recently posted..O{H}C~Week In Review