Martha Stewart Knows Her Figs

by Meghann on August 30, 2011

This afternoon I discovered a new coffee shop near the local university.

IMG_2087.JPG

It had a very indie/rock feel to it that had me feeling like a college student when I pulled out my laptop. It was fun to pretend I was back in school for a couple of hours. The iced coffee wasn’t bad either. πŸ™‚

I stayed for a few hours, then headed home when my battery life moved into the red.

A Quaker Smashbar (HLS swag!) acted as my snack on the way home

IMG_2088.JPG

I’ve seen mix reviews on these, but I’m a fan. They taste like rice krispie treats and remind me of my childhood. I wouldn’t call them a ‘health’ snack, but I would call them a tasty one. πŸ™‚

Dinner featured another HLS swag item – a box of the new Near East Quinoa Blend.

IMG_2101.jpg

I followed the directions on the back of the box, then added roasted eggplant and chickpeas before serving it over a bed of spinach with goat cheese.

I like that Near East has dove into the quinoa market, it adds a little something to their typical products. The flavor was a little bland on it’s own, but once I added some salt and goat cheese – it came together nicely.

Dessert was the fun part of the evening. πŸ™‚

IMG_2095.JPG

This photo makes me laugh for too many reasons. πŸ˜‰

I was trying to highlight that the dessert I was making was so delicious, that the bowl had to be licked clean.

IMG_2099.JPG

Yum. πŸ™‚

What was I making? Just a little recipe I found online from Martha Stewart for Lemon-Fig Cake.

The poor cake wasn’t very photogenic. I blame my ‘glazing’ skills.

The original idea came from Lisa in the comments of my afternoon post. She suggested adding fresh figs to a lemon cake mix (which is genius), but after a quick google I found this easy recipe from Martha Stewart and knew I had to try it.

I did make a few changes.

Like letting the figs soak in the sugar before I added them to the mix.

IMG_2090.JPG

And using a cake pan because I’m not even 100% sure what a tart pan looks like.

IMG_2098.JPG

I also created a glaze of powdered sugar, lemon juice, and milk for the top.

Next time I’ll work harder at evenly blending the clumps of powdered sugar. πŸ˜‰

I had a piece for dessert and nibbled my way through half of another one. Martha Stewart knows her stuff – this cake was great!

Unfortunately Derek revealed this evening that: A) he doesn’t like lemon cake and B) he doesn’t like figs. This made me very sad inside. Sniff. Sniff.

I still have a container and a half of figs left… thanks to all of your ideas – I now have an idea of what I’ll make next. πŸ˜‰

1 Heather @ Side of Sneakers August 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm

That sounds really good- I’m not quite sure if I like figs or not either, but they always sound so good. Although I definitely don’t know how you don’t like lemon cake. πŸ˜‰
Heather @ Side of Sneakers recently posted..Summer Lovin’ {Giveaway}

2 Jessica @ The Process of Healing August 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I would gladly help you out.. i LOVE figs but they aren’t in season around here yet.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Checking In

3 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 30, 2011 at 9:10 pm

First of all, CUTE HEADBAND! I love it, where did you get it??

Also, I have something inappropriate to say about how the glaze looks. But I’ll be a lady and keep it to myself πŸ˜‰ glad it tasted good!!
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Tuesday Snooze-day

4 Meghann August 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm

THe headband is from Target πŸ™‚

5 Elisabeth August 31, 2011 at 12:24 am

Ha! I think Derek is nuts! All things lemon & all things fig are great πŸ™‚

6 Lauren August 30, 2011 at 9:10 pm

This grilled fig and portobello pizza I made a few weeks ago changed my life! http://www.saywhatyouneedtosayblog.com/2011/07/when-i-grow-up.html
Lauren recently posted..Night Off

7 Cait's Plate August 30, 2011 at 9:13 pm

At least Derek not liking that means more for you! πŸ™‚

It looks delicious.

As does that SMASHBAR!!! I want to eat that right now.

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm

That looks like my kind of dinner! Seriously, so delicious!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the hot seat… round two

9 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) August 30, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Mmm, that cake sounds so good! I don’t always love Martha recipes but this one looks delicious. And I may need to steal your idea of sprinkling goat cheese over the HLS swag quinoa. Yum!
Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) recently posted..Hurricane (Irene) Smoothie

10 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 30, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Looks delicious! A tart pan is one of those shallow pans with the wavy edges where the bottom comes out. Looks like this turned out just a great without one!

11 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm

mmm that cake looks amazing. I want a piece!!
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..(Im)maturity

12 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm

oooh I hadn’t thought of lemon and figs together πŸ™‚

Looks like a delish night was had!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..A Perfect Dessert

13 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 30, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Are you sure you aren’t just seducing the camera!?
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Ants on a Log

14 Katy @ RunKatyRun August 30, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I’m a student at USF (senior-woo!) so I’m there twice a week-I’ll have to try that place out after my Starbucks gift card runs out!

Also-this may be weird-but: I’ve never had a fig. Ever. Is it similar to a date?

15 Meghann August 31, 2011 at 6:21 am

Yes! Very similar

16 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 30, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I don’t even want to say out loud what that glaze looks like on the cake….haha! But, I’m sure it tasted delicious πŸ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Back in business

17 Meghan August 30, 2011 at 10:57 pm

I think i’ve only had figs a handful of time in restaurant salads but you have me wanting to run out and buy some πŸ™‚
Meghan recently posted..Tone It Up Pyramid

18 courtney (pancakes and postcards) August 30, 2011 at 11:34 pm

that looks really good! sometimes unphotogenic stuff tastes the best, right? πŸ™‚
courtney (pancakes and postcards) recently posted..The Giant Race Recap!

19 wymberley August 31, 2011 at 12:20 am

Figs are a great sub or addition to a strawberry spinach salad!
wymberley recently posted..One Of Those Days

20 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 31, 2011 at 2:06 am

Derek doesn’t like lemon cake?! Girl, I will take that off your hands πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Ice Cream Cake!

21 Amy August 31, 2011 at 2:22 am

Ohhh I absolutely love figs! My vovo used to give them to me all the time when I was younger!
Amy recently posted..Wednesday Weigh In: Body Comments

22 Alex August 31, 2011 at 5:38 am

I LOVE that golden leaf headband! Very pretty.
Alex recently posted..The Art of Clean Up – Ursus Wehrli

23 MizFit August 31, 2011 at 5:49 am

GOOD GOSH I learn a lot here.

tart pan?
new smash bars?
I
HAD
IDEA!
MizFit recently posted..What’s the point of compression sleeves?

24 Hillary August 31, 2011 at 7:25 am

Sniff sniff? Meghann, this just means that more of that cake is reserved for you. You should be excited! Haha!
Hillary recently posted..Stuffed

25 Meghann August 31, 2011 at 9:38 am

Sniff. Sniff. because he doesn’t have the same love as I do for lemon cake and figs.

26 Ali @ Ali Runs August 31, 2011 at 7:32 am

I love working in coffee shops, but a lot of times I get way too distracted people watching to actually be really productive. It’s always fun to try though πŸ˜‰
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Another School Year

27 Alaina August 31, 2011 at 8:23 am

Figs are the best! Especially on pizza. πŸ™‚
Alaina recently posted..An Unwanted House Guest

28 Hope August 31, 2011 at 8:28 am

I don’t think I ever had figs before! What do they taste like? I think that cake looks yummy!
Hope recently posted..A Delicious Crockpot Meal Kind of Night…

29 Margo August 31, 2011 at 9:02 am

Glad the cake was delicious! And hey, if Derek doesn’t like it that just means more for you!!

30 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 31, 2011 at 9:56 am

I have never tried a fig but I sure do want to now! I’ll have to hunt some down when I go grocery shopping this weekend!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..What I Ate "In the Dark" Wednesday!

31 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 31, 2011 at 10:03 am

Looks like you’ll just have to eat that whole cake by yourself. DRATS! (note the dripping sarcasm…. dripping, not unlike that yummy clumpy glaze. Just like Martha would make.)
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..How to Eat Free All Birthday Week Long

32 mary August 31, 2011 at 10:03 am

I have never had a fig… I am not sure that I would like the texture… It might be good IN something though!
mary recently posted..August Goals in Review

33 Jamie August 31, 2011 at 11:49 am

I kind of have to agree with Derek on that- tried a fig once and spit it out. But, I love your headband! Where did you get it?

34 Ashley August 31, 2011 at 12:14 pm

How can someone not like lemon cake?? Impossible!! πŸ˜‰
Ashley recently posted..Pints to Pasta

35 Sophie August 31, 2011 at 5:02 pm

A) How can one not like Lemon cake?!!! B) All the more cake and fgs for you then πŸ˜€
Sophie recently posted..The One Where I Pour My Heart Out.

36 Katie September 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Oh, I share your pain…my husband doesn’t like lemon cake (or key lime pie…lemon sorbet…any citrus dessert really), and it makes me so sad! I love making lemon bars, but since he won’t eat them I don’t have much of a reason!

I also have the problem of not knowing what to do with figs. My in laws have a huge fig tree outside in their yard, and a few months ago we harvested pounds and pounds of figs. I had no idea what to do with them. I do like sauteeing them with spinach, onions, and garlic…mmmm
Katie recently posted..Sometimes the little things count

37 Lily September 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

That looks so much fun to make..
Lily recently posted..Paint Zoom