6 Things That Made Me Happy Today

by Meghann on August 28, 2011

Things that made me happy today:

1. Watching William & Catherine: A Royal Romance

Just call me a sucker for cheesy Hallmark movies that revolve around the theme of love. πŸ™‚

2. My new watch.

IMG_2067.JPG

I’ve been lusting after a new watch for a while ( I figured it was time to upgrade the cheapy Target one I wear everyday), but it wasn’t until I saw this post from This Place is Now a Home, that I knew what I wanted. I like the white because it’s practical for everyday use and goes with everything.

Are you a watch wearer or just an obsessive cellphone time checker?

3. Fortune Cookies from P.F. Changs

IMG_2048.JPG

I’m not a fan of Chinese food and I try to avoid chain restaurants when possible, so when I suggested we eat at P.F. Changs for lunch Derek gave me more than a funny look – he felt my forehead and asked if I was feeling ok.

I think I just wanted the fortune cookie at the end. My meal didn’t feel complete until I had it.

IMG_2051.JPG

There was also the lunch portion of Buddha’s Feast (steamed), which was bland and flavorless.

IMG_2044.JPG

And the hot and sour soup that came before them.

IMG_2043.JPG

But, I just wanted the cookies. πŸ˜‰

4. Stocking up on broth from the reduced items bin

IMG_2054.jpg

That’s $2.00 marked down from $5.00!

5. Using that broth to make my version of chicken and dumplings.

IMG_2076.JPG

I loosely followed this recipe from Whole Foods for Turkey with Sweet Potato Dumplings, only i used what veggies I had on hand (onion, corn, zucchini, and yellow squash), traded out the turkey for chickpeas, and ignored the seasoning suggestions in favor of generous shakes of Mrs. Dash, paprika, and fennel seed (the spice that brought the dish from yum to YUM!).

IMG_2052.JPG IMG_2058.JPG IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2063.JPG IMG_2065.JPG IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

6. Graham cracker ice cream sandwich with tirmasu ice cream

IMG_2083.JPG

Doesn’t get much better than that. πŸ™‚

What made you happy today?

1 Kate (This Place is Now a Home) August 28, 2011 at 8:57 pm

πŸ™‚ So happy to be the inspiration behind the watch!

That chicken & dumplings looks AMAZING. Must try.
Kate (This Place is Now a Home) recently posted..She Says… Thar She Blows

2 Carrie August 28, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I really like the Buddha’s Feast. Did you get it without any sauce?! That might be why it was subpar.

3 Meghann August 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I asked for it steamed, but didn’t see any sauce on it? I doused it in soy sauce though.

4 Carrie August 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Bummer! I’ve never gotten it steamed, maybe they don’t put the sauce on? Huh.

5 Sara@RunningInPinkProject August 28, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I was happy that I didnt have to leave my house today. Ive been SO busy lately it was nice to get a break. πŸ™‚
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Mac&Cheeseburger plus My New Obsession

6 Hillary August 28, 2011 at 9:00 pm

My first day of school was canceled due to Irene’s visit. That made me happy, despite my fifteen hours and counting without power!
Hillary recently posted..C’mon Irene

7 Erica August 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm

The chicken and dumplings looks fantastic!! Sounds like you had a nice day! We had a wonderful weekend overall, that makes me happy
Erica recently posted..Weekend & Post Pregnancy Update (Week 4)

8 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

What made me happy today..hmm…breaking into my new hazelnut coffee beans (oh the simple things) and knowing my family was ok after the hurricane hit!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Recipe Contest + Day Before Work

9 Michele August 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm

My list of what made me unhappy is longer than my list of what made me happy.

πŸ™

I think I’m ready for Monday!

10 Cait's Plate August 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Haha – I’m secretly (…okay not so secretly now) really excited for that William and Kate mini series as well πŸ™‚

And that dessert! I need to make it. Every time you do it I think it looks fabulous and then I always fail to make it happen for myself. I even have the ingredients!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Flooded

11 Fit Chick Britt August 28, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Love that watch! So cute. The recipe sounds so good too. I’m going to have to try it sometime.

12 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete August 28, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Shopping made me happy. And almost getting to see you. Until you realized you wouldn’t get to see the baby and you weren’t quite as interested anymore.

Hehe.

I kid! I kid!
Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete recently posted..Beach Day

13 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 28, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Whole foods brown-rice sushi and a kombucha and a fresh green juice are the things that made me happy today πŸ™‚

Also, I’m a totally compulsive cell phone time-checker, but it’s not that noticeable since my iPhone is glued to my hand pretty much 24/7 πŸ™‚
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Back to Reality

14 Army Amy* August 28, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I love Pacific broth and soups!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Chewy’s Chewed Up

15 Sana August 28, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Awww this post just made me happy πŸ™‚
Sana recently posted..Time Warp and Bonding With Irene

16 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I always pour my soup on the steamed Buddha’s feast. (Don’t judge me.)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Mango-Avocado Fish Taco Bowl

17 Kaitlin August 28, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Love that new watch! I also wear a cheapo target one– but I’m afraid I’ll break a fancy one. Also ice cream sandwich- yum!

18 Meghan August 28, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I am sad that you didn’t enjoy PF Changs! I love it!! I definitely think it was your dish though, I wouldn’t enjoy steamed veggies and tofu either. The lettuce wraps are amazing, as is the ginger chicken and pretty much all of the seafood dishes πŸ™‚
Meghan recently posted..Weekly Run Down: 8/21/11

19 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 28, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I’m also searching for a new watch! Yours is super cute!!

20 Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep August 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm

The Royal Romance movie also made me really happy when I watched it last night.
Andrea @ Run, Eat, Date, Sleep recently posted..Orlando Food Trucks

21 Ida August 28, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I cant imagine there is much one can do to jazz up steamed veggies, your dinner looks really good though!
Fossil watches are great- so cute and not crazy $$.

22 Dad August 28, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I made that the other day and used Campbells Cream of Chicken soup between that and a little broth it made it a little thick Love Ya !!

23 jodie August 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I have to ask, who makes Tiramisu ice cream? Tiramisu is my favorite dessert, had no idea they have tiramisu ice cream.
jodie recently posted..Product love and Routine

24 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 6:19 am

It’s publix brand

25 Christine @ BookishlyB August 28, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Fossil has the best watches!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Everybody’s Doin’ It

26 Wendy August 29, 2011 at 12:05 am

Oh, I love Fossil watches, good choice!

Today, the good weather made me happy, 23 and sunny all day long without too much humidity! However, you are now making me contemplate the ice cream in the fridge…
Wendy recently posted..Red Umbrellas

27 amanda August 29, 2011 at 12:23 am

haha ummm yeah buddha feast steamed is only like 120 calories n no flavor!!!!!!i get it when im dieting

28 courtney (pancakes and postcards) August 29, 2011 at 1:16 am

What made me happy today? umm… my run! It was a nice shakeout after my race yesterday, in the freezing SF fog.
courtney (pancakes and postcards) recently posted..The Giant Race Recap!

29 Lizk August 29, 2011 at 2:28 am

Cute new watch! I pretty much always buy Fossil (although, I do have a Citizen I really like) and I HAVE to wear a watch! I actually feel completely naked without it, and I also wear it on my right arm, even though I’m right-handed. I started wearing a watch when I was pretty little & thought that was the arm to wear it on and haven’t been able to switch πŸ˜‰

Today I was happy because of pizza for dinner!

30 Grace August 29, 2011 at 3:46 am

Wow! That watch is beautiful – great choice!
I love days when everything makes me happy :’)

31 Khushboo August 29, 2011 at 4:42 am

That dessert alone would have made me very happy! Having a slice of cake with my usual cuppa tea yesterday afternoon made me verrrry happy…as did skyping with my sister!
Khushboo recently posted..When nature calls

32 Sophie August 29, 2011 at 6:11 am

Wierd, I’ve just written a post about what’s made me happy lately to go up this week!
I am a watch wearer – but sometimes think that I a the only one left in the world?! (slight exaggeration, but you know what I mean!) I love my blackberry as much as the next person, but I feel totally lost when I don’t have my watch on!
Sophie recently posted..Living The Not So Balanced Weigh.

33 Corey @ Learning Patience August 29, 2011 at 7:49 am

Lounging by the fancy smachy hotel pool in town all day after an awesome hotel gym workout… Great way to spend a Sunday!

xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Giving Thanks – Week 10

34 Lee August 29, 2011 at 8:05 am

The Buddha’s Feast is way better if you get it stir-fried. I think it’s only like 100 more calories and totally worth it.
Lee recently posted..Too Many Corks

35 Hope August 29, 2011 at 8:26 am

Chicken and dumplings looks amazing! So comforting! πŸ™‚

Something that made me happy today was the electric finally being restored at 2am this morning! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Let There Be Light At 2AM!….

36 Mia August 29, 2011 at 8:57 am

I got my first watch when I was 4 years old and I have had one on my wrist nonstop ever since! I am obsessed with watches, when I was little all I wanted on my birthdays was a new watch. It’s funny because when I don’t have a watch on (rarely happens), I always catch my self glancing at my wrist out of habit.

37 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 29, 2011 at 9:03 am

Agreed. Buddha’s feast is healthy but SO bland. They at least need salt and pepper at the table to jazz it up.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Easy queasy orangey squeezy. [RCM long run #4!]

38 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life August 29, 2011 at 9:04 am

Meghann, I LOVE that watch! I wear one every.single.day (a Fossil) and am lost without it. I’ve been looking for a white one for a while now…I think I may have to look into that one of yours! πŸ˜‰
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Waiting Since Last Night

39 Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 29, 2011 at 9:42 am

I saw that watch on Kate’s blog and thought about getting it myself. I really liked the color, but I’d get it so dirty in a heartbeat with work.
Melissa @ TryingToHeal recently posted..Mammoth: Pt 2

40 Dana P. August 29, 2011 at 9:50 am

I have that same watch!! Except mine has a silver band…same face though. My husband bought it for me for Christmas last year. I get compliments on it all the time. Love the white band!

41 Stacy @ Every Little Thing August 29, 2011 at 9:55 am

Pacific Brand organic broth is on sale a lot at Whole Foods, 2 for $5! Also, WF often has coupons for it, and I find them online about once every few months. Just FYI
Stacy @ Every Little Thing recently posted..Educate, Participate, Challenge Yourself

42 Clare @ Fitting It All In August 29, 2011 at 9:58 am

LOVE the watch! I have worn the same fossil silver and gold watch for years. I feel naked without it!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Choose to Appreciate

43 Clare @ Fitting It All In August 29, 2011 at 9:58 am

Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Choose to Appreciate

44 KatieG. @ Just Roll With It August 29, 2011 at 10:11 am

I am a watch wearer, however I wear a digital Ironman watch that my bf calls a “little boy watch”. It’s the only kind that I can wear because I need to know the exact time (seconds) and I need to have indiglo and a waterproof watch. It looks a bit silly sometimes with a dress or at the office, but I don’t care.
KatieG. @ Just Roll With It recently posted..Little Changes

45 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

I have a separate watch that i wear in the pool that’s waterproof with seconds. It’s also the ironman brand from target πŸ™‚

46 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 29, 2011 at 10:15 am

I bought the watch too after Kate’s post! haha It just arrived late last week and I love it, I just need to take a link out of it b/c it’s too big right now πŸ™
I had been lusting over a white watch for 1 year+ but could never find anything in my price range. This was perfect!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Flooded

47 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 10:35 am

Got to love Fossil!

48 Faith @ For the Health of It August 29, 2011 at 10:29 am

Thanks for the heads up on the broth – I’m all out of mine and I’ll have to check Publix tonight to see if we have any on that awesome sale!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..I Suck at Nursing

49 Nicole @ PancakesandPilates August 29, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Seeing a picture of Graham cracker ice cream sandwich with tirmasu ice cream made me happy! I have never seen such a thing and it. is. glorious. Thanks for sharing!

In addition to that, I’m happy the weather is finally beautiful in NYC. And work has calmed down. I have a lot to be happy about today πŸ™‚

50 Lara @ TresLaLa August 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I’ve noticed recently (maybe since the end of the HLS?) that your photos have been more interesting! (Not that they weren’t before… but they look great now!) Not sure if that’s intentional, but wanted to let you know that we’re noticing! Keep up the good work!
Lara @ TresLaLa recently posted..Err, I take that back…

51 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm

haha – I was getting lately and JUST using my P&S, but lately I’ve been trying to get back in the habit of using my DSLR. πŸ™‚

52 Megan August 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I was going to ask you if that was the Publix ice cream. We just finished off a carton of it. I have to say that I didn’t love it. It was okay for what it was, but it wasn’t the flavor I expected it to be. I have some pistachio almond to snack on tonight!
Megan recently posted..It’s fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A!

53 erica August 29, 2011 at 5:54 pm

i’m happy that my best friend is here for the week.
i’m happy that i’m getting married in six days!
i’m happy that i’m off work for the week!
erica recently posted..let the festivities begin!

54 Meghann August 29, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I’d be happy for all those things too! Congrats!! πŸ™‚

55 Alaina August 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Love that watch! I used to have a nice watch but the battery kept dying. πŸ™ Now, I don’t wear watches; I just look at my cell phone.
Alaina recently posted..Indian Ranch Brewfest 2011

56 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery August 29, 2011 at 7:31 pm

It’s always about the fortune cookie. I don’t even like the taste of them really and the fortunes are often super lame now, but still, if you’re having Chinese, you’ve gotta have the cookie or it’s just not complete. I even buy them from the grocery store to give out when I make my own asian dishes at home.
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..More smiley faces – Surprise!

57 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Love your watch! I’ve had a white watch on my wish list for a while now.

58 Allison August 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm

All of those things would have made me happy too! Yesterday was a happy day because it was one year since my fiance asked me to marry him πŸ˜€
Allison recently posted..Vanilla Apple Pie Cake with a Sweet Glaze