The Bare Dare

by Meghann on August 25, 2011

Anyone up for a 5K in October?

Screen shot 2011-08-25 at 1.16.05 PM.png

Just kidding.

I’ll be on my way to the Cayman Islands that day anyways. 😉

Favorite part of the email…

Wear as much or as little as you like for the race – shoes and sunscreen recommended – and then spend the rest of the day at Caliente.

Oh, boy. I would hope the sunscreen would be HIGHLY recommended. A burn in some areas would be… unpleasant.

Has anyone done any naked running before? (and I’m not talking just naked feet here either) I imagine it would be quite painful. Too many jiggling body parts to handle. I like to be strapped in when running. Walking, though? I could see that being possible.

It’s funny, the more I think about this, the more I see myself adding this to my ‘must do once in my lifetime list.’ I mean, why not? How many other people can say they’ve run a 5k at a nudist resort?! I think it’s pretty badass.

It takes a heck of a lot of confidence to bare it all for 3.1 miles (and for the ‘Sundae’ Dip Party afterwards). I can imagine it would be an inspiring group of people to run/walk with – might learn a thing or two in the process.

Lunch

I’m not sure what it is, but I’ve really ben craving meat lately. I drove by a deli yesterday and the idea of sliced ham made my mouth water. Unfortunately we have no meat in the house at the moment (something that may change this evening), so I went with the next best thing – eggs.

IMG_1993.JPG

Salty, savory eggs.

I scrambled two with tomato, red onion, carrot, spinach, and goat cheese. I still want ham, but this was good too.

IMG_1996.JPG

I also had some fresh figs

IMG_1998.JPG

And an english muffin with blackberry jam.

IMG_2001.JPG

These photos remind me of fall. That makes me happy. Rumor has it pumpkin flavored coffee and beer are starting to pop up across the U.S. Eeekkkkk…. 🙂

1 Julie @ There and Back Again August 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm

My friend from college actually did a naked 5K once! He said it was hilarious and the after-party was fun, but the actual race was pretty uncomfortable for exactly the reasons you imagined – guys and girls alike 😉 It’d definitely be a unique milestone in your racing career, though!
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Flyin’ High

2 Hope August 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I don’t think I would ever feel comfortable running in the nude! More power to those who are brave enough to do it!

So excited for the fall! Dogfish Punkin Ale comes out next week!!!! YAY!! 🙂

3 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 25, 2011 at 2:03 pm

That omelette looks great and I am super jealous of those figs! Up there on my list of all time favorite fruits.

Oh wow, I can’t fathom running a 5k wearing NOTHING! That would be really something to watch though- kind of like a huge traffic accident, I wouldn’t be able to turn away!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Lunch Date + More Shopping

4 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run August 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm

No one needs to see me run a 1k much less a 5k in the nude. But man, I suppose the miles would go by quickly with all the “scenery.”
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Supermarket Rip-offs

5 Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) August 25, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’d totally do it if it were all ladies running bare– but the thought of dangling, swinging naked man parts is giving me the heebie-jeebies! haha

your scramble looks amazing 🙂
Shaya (Eye Girl Eats) recently posted..Good Morning!!

6 Cait's Plate August 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Haha. I cannot even IMAGINE doing something like that but I give tons of credit to people who do!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Take Out Containers

7 emily August 25, 2011 at 2:08 pm

I’ve read about naked 1-miler races which sound more fun to me. I think “run naked” belongs on my life list too but the thought of holding my boobs for 3 miles sounds tiresome.
emily recently posted..Plums and Cream

8 Anna @ Food Fitness and Frolicking August 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I’ve never had fresh figs..they look good though!!

9 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I don’t think I would ever feel comfortable running around in the nude! Lol! But props to the people who have the confidence to do that.
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..WIAW…Pretty in Pink!

10 pinkflipflops August 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm

1st – my boobs would kill me. if not from the weight of them, from them knocking me in my farking face. thanks breastfeeding ha. 2. nobody needs to see them while they are doing that.
pinkflipflops recently posted..My child is 3 months old.. holy crap

11 Gina @ running to the kitchen August 25, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Hmm that sounds interesting to say the least! I think it would be too much Jiggling for me!
Gina @ running to the kitchen recently posted..10K training update: the good & the bad

12 katie August 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm

omg! cracking up! I don’t think I could ever do that!

The naked running reminded me of the movie ‘ Old School’ lol! Where Will Farell was running naked, streaking! lol!
katie recently posted..Ugg { love }

13 Rae August 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm

You think thats bad? Check this out!! http://www.trifind.com/re_1666/BareHareDuathlonNorthClothingOptionalMustbe18.html
Apparently you have to wear a helmet for the bike….though i would be less concerned about my head that some, um, “other parts” lol
Rae recently posted..200!!

14 Meghann August 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm

haha. ouch the bike would be brutal.

15 Sarah for Real August 25, 2011 at 2:16 pm

There’s a nudist colony near here that does an annual run and after seeing some (censored) photos, I saw it’s mostly old men. Whether or not they’re creepy, I can’t tell from a photo.

I think the idea of running a naked 5k sounds cool. But the idea of running a naked 5k with a bunch of old men sounds decidedly less so.

16 G August 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I hardly eat any meat but I’ve learned that I crave it when my iron is low. Last week I wanted a hamburger SO BAD. As soon as I gave in and ate one, I felt one million times better. I 100% believe in giving in to cravings – our bodies know what they need! 🙂

17 Meghann August 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I think my iron is low too. A good hamburger sounds good right now.

18 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 25, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Wow, I agree, that could be a little bit painful! I’m sure it would be a very memorable race! 😛
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..You need to make this salad

19 Lauren August 25, 2011 at 2:27 pm

My college actually has a naked run/bikeride around one part of campus every semester. I’ve never done it, but there’s always a couple hundred of kids who do it…granted it’s midnight & they’ve all been drinking. Last year, people did it even in the -5 degree temps.
Lauren recently posted..Dish of Dirt

20 Hillary August 25, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Those figs look a little—ahem—naked themselves ; )
Hillary recently posted..Social Media Musings

21 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count August 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Haha! I couldn’t imagine doing a nude run! I’m with you…I like a sports bra for some support. I bet they really COULD teach you a lot about feeling comfortable in your own skin. It is probably very liberating.
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Bucket List

22 Ashley August 25, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I could never do a naked run! Wouldn’t it be painful with all that bouncing?! Ouch!
Ashley recently posted..Tempo Run and Black Bean Tostadas

23 Sami August 25, 2011 at 2:47 pm

how do you eat figs? with the skin and all? are they sweet?

24 Molly August 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

ah my parents have a place in Cayman- I will have just missed you, as I am going there right after that! BOO! You should come back…specifically in January for the Cayman Cookout ( Anthony Bourdain, Eric Ripert, Jose Andres, Gail Simmons…the list goes on). We go every year for business and its SPECTACULAR. You have a free place to stay too, if needed 🙂
Molly recently posted..You’ll be the man…

25 Meghann August 25, 2011 at 2:53 pm

What time of year is that? Derek has family in the Cayman Islands – he’s actually a dual citizen.

26 Molly August 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm

This year it’s January 12-15th. Tickets for events go on sale Oct. 1st. It’s through Food and Wine Magazine. Google Cayman Cookout and the website should be the first on the list. Ive gone the last two years, and its the most surreal experience ever.
Molly recently posted..You’ll be the man…

27 Molly August 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm
28 Meghann August 25, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Darn! WE have a wedding january 14th!

29 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 25, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Oh my goodness, that race is too funny! In college at UF, we had the undie dash where everyone strips down to their underwear and runs through campus. The clothes taken off is donated to shelters and Goodwill, I think.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Paco’s

30 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm

haha .I don’t think so. I think that there would be a lot of unsightly sights as well…..and it would make me just giggle/gag.

Love fresh figs, MMM!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..When Calories Matter + Thankful Thursday

31 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 25, 2011 at 3:12 pm

if someone was running beside me naked, I would run into a lamp post or stop sign. I’m a starer.

32 Leigh August 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm

No way to the running nude thing! Like you said too many jiggly parts a moving for me. I like my girls strapped in nice and tight for a run, haha. Can you imagine all the different body shapes just a moving if running nude?!

33 erica August 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm

i could never go running nude! lol.

could you imagine trying to blog about a nude 5k? could you imagine your pictures?!?! Lol.
erica recently posted..planner talk…

34 Madeline - Greens and Jeans August 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I did a naked mile once in college and have even done a naked midnight bike ride. Combine that with a few skinny dipping experiences and I guess I’ve done a naked triathalon!
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..what i want wednesday iv

35 Anne P August 25, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Gah I can’t imagine BIKING naked?!?! Didn’t it… um… hurt?
Anne P recently posted..Packed Lunch Idea: Salad Burrito!

36 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 25, 2011 at 3:55 pm

That must be one intense race! I like my sports bra, thank you very much haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Things I’m Lovin’ Thursday: 4th Edition

37 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm

WoW! What an amazing looking lunch! It’s so colourful, with such an unusual combination of foods…love it! Yup, Autumn is approaching here in England too…the sun is setting earlier and the rain clouds are slowly coming in. But I love Autumn when the leaves change so it’s all cool ! (hehe…bad accidental joke) <3 xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..in print

38 Maria August 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm

They had something called an undie dash in Chicago a few weeks ago! I didn’t participate or see it, but I heard it was a lot of fun 🙂

39 Danielle August 25, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Can’t say I ever have run naked but… by the chance that you haven’t heard this enough already: you did an AMAZING job with the Healthy Living Summit this year! Your hard work was much appreciated. Thank you 🙂

40 Dani August 25, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Eeek! Yikes, as a girl with a larger chest you will NOT find me doing any totally bare dares! I feel like all the clothing I wear to run has a specific function, so I’m going to stick with what I know 🙂

41 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 25, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Lol major jiggle I imagine too! Never done anything like that, but I bet it’s a great time if you feel comfortable doing it.
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Egg Savvy: Simple Ideas For Every Meal

42 RunEatRepeat August 25, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’m sure I would traumatize a lot of people if I did that race.

I haven’t stopped eating pumpkin since last year. I mean, ever.
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Ask a Monican #16 and The Usual

43 Ellie August 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm

We had a Polar Bear Run at my school which is just for a few hundred meters through the main campus. Of course, some people don’t look so bad naked but no matter how attractive you are, I think everyone looks beyond ridiculous wearing shoes and socks but no other clothes! So funny.

44 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 25, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I’ve seen those! Not in person luckily..but with pictures. I have seen a naked bike ride in person though. That’s interesting..
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..That’s a lot in 24 hours.

45 Anne P August 25, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Ew. Haha. That must have been VERY interesting.
Anne P recently posted..Packed Lunch Idea: Salad Burrito!

46 Sophie August 25, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Ha I’ve never seen/heard of anything like this before! Very intriguing…
Sophie recently posted..Packing 18 Years In To Boxes.

47 Julie (A Case of the Runs) August 25, 2011 at 7:24 pm

My school used to have an “undie run” every quarter, and I have no idea why I never participated… if not just in a sports bra and large boyshort-type underwear.

Nowadays, I probably wouldn’t mind doing that, if not for the logistical pain (not blessed in particular areas, so maybe… I dunno), and I think I would want someone I was comfortable being naked in front of doing the race, too.

This reminds me of my friend and I looking for a spa, and one we had been considering requires clothes off. I mean, we’re best buds and all, but I’m not sure I am comfortable with being a nudie buddy yet.
Julie (A Case of the Runs) recently posted..Amphipod Handheld Water Bottle

48 Army Amy* August 25, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I read about a race like that in my area. I was kind of curious about it, but I don’t think my husband would like it if I ran nakey with other nakey people!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Tyler Rose, let the planning begin

49 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 25, 2011 at 8:03 pm

oh my – what a hilarious race!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Coriander Pesto Chicken

50 delia August 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm

A naked run kind of intrigues me. I’m not hugely adventurous, but I do like to do unorthodox stuff. I don’t have enough of a bust for too much bouncing although I do worry about the inevitable sagging that comes with age! My big concern would be where to put my stuff. I always carry my phone when I go running!

51 Aleyta August 25, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Oh my word, that race is nuts. I would NOT want to be in attendance!
Your lunch looks amazing!
Aleyta recently posted..Seriously?! Thursday

52 Melinda R. August 25, 2011 at 8:49 pm

What a funny article today! Makes me laugh, smile,, all the above :-)~
I don’t know if I could picture myself even walking in the nude – there is so much I would be worried was jiggling and not like jam, like JELLY! LOL! I’m pregnant and, although I haven’t gained much weight, I still get that bloated feeling and start feeling like a fat umpa-lumpa! Makes me laugh when I think about it though…

The meals looks amazing – not sure about the figs but that is because I’ve never tried them. What do they taste like?

53 Lee August 25, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I wonder how you wear your race number.
Lee recently posted..The Good and the Bad – Steamfresh Review

54 Kirsten Leighton August 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I live in the Cayman Islands! My husband owns a helmet diving company called SeaTrek. They are on Facebook SeaTrek Cayman. He said if you and Derek would like to come out he would comp you both the trip. I have been following your blog for a few years now. I feel like I know you both! In a good way not a stalker way! Let me know if you would be interested.
Kirsten

55 Derek August 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Hi Kirsten – we’re definitely interested. Please send us an email at mealsandmiles@gmail.com

56 Jessica @ Bay Bay Bites August 25, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I haven’t run naked before but I did run with tight shorts and no undies on before. Let’s just say it was not pleasant. There was chafing where there should never be chafing.

57 Mary August 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I have to agree about the painful and jiggling comments about a nude 5k. I also like everything tight and reigned in. But I can see your point about new challenges. I am looking at a snowshoing 5k in January. I am always looking for a unique challenge. And I am still jealous of those fresh figs. Must find some soon!

58 Marijke August 26, 2011 at 7:00 am

Wasn’t “Caliente” the nudist resort feature in Paris & Nicole’s The Simple Life season 2? Amazingggg. But still, ouch.
Marijke recently posted..5-4-3-2-1

59 Allison August 26, 2011 at 8:36 am

Thinking about tasting fall flavors makes me so excited! Even better- I’ll be home [in the DC area] for the first time in three years where the falls are beautiful 😀
Allison recently posted..I Stumbled 20 Times in Bed

60 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 26, 2011 at 9:13 am

As an avid (albeit, retired) streaker, back in the day I ran naked for short bursts. Chased buses, on the football field at UNC (though VERY late at night), and through some other, more public places. There are few things that give me that rush.

With age comes the burden of responsibility, though, so my streaking days are over… at least for now.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Healthy Living Summit: Saturday Sessions

61 Alaina August 26, 2011 at 10:29 am

omg the idea of me running nude is just… i don’t even know. horrifying? hysterical? i can guarantee that would be the only time my boyfriend would run. he would be running to cover me up. i also feel like i might get slapped in the face with a boob.
Alaina recently posted..Five

62 Allie August 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I read about a nudist 5K in Runner’s World and I have to be honest, the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do one. They take place at nudist resorts and the rules you have to follow (bring two of your own towels, turn off your camera phone, etc.) are a little different than your typical race. The best part is that nudist 5K races hand out t-shirts. Ironic, no?

63 Lauren August 31, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I think a naked race could be kind of liberating…but I think I’ll pass. Too hopelessly devoted to my sports bra. 🙂
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year