Philly Run

by Meghann on August 19, 2011

There is nothing like knocking out a beautiful 4 mile run with friends in a new city!

Love. πŸ™‚

This morning Ben, Heather, Kelly, and I met in the hotel lobby for a quick run around the city. We wanted to do 5 miles, but a random downpour of rain forced us to turn around early. We did 2 out and headed back for two more.

Fun fact: The Rocky Steps are exactly 1.5 miles from our hotel. πŸ™‚

Heather was an honorary member of Team Anderson this morning. πŸ™‚

The run felt good, but all the stopping and starting at crosswalks really threw my running mojo off. I am not a city runner.

When we returned, my siblings and I headed to the free breakfast that came with our room.

I love eating breakfast out at new places, but nothing beats a free meal when you’re on a tight budget. Plus, they had a great spread of fresh fruit, muffins, oatmeals, eggs, and cereal. There were enough options to please everyone.

I went the bowl of oatmeal (gotta represent out main sponsor Quaker Oats while we’re here!) and fresh fruit route.

I topped the oatmeal with some brown sugar, raisins, and a muffin top.

And you can never go wrong with fresh fruit in the morning. πŸ˜‰

We have a BIG day ahead of us. It’s going to be a long, crazy day!

If you’re new to the blog – HI! – my name is Meghann and I’m one of the founding members ( and this year’s main planner) of the Healthy Living Summit. I’ll be the one running around like a chicken with her head cut off this weekend, but don’t be afraid to say Hi! I promise I’m really nice – scout’s honor! πŸ˜‰

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 19, 2011 at 9:13 am

Yey for free hotel breakfasts πŸ™‚
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Back, Back, Back It Up

2 michelle August 19, 2011 at 9:18 am

I know what you mean about city running.I hate having to start and stop for lights because it always throws my groove off.
michelle recently posted..Running, Eating, Napping = My Ideal Summer

3 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 19, 2011 at 9:34 am

What a fun run!!! I actually love running in the rain, so yay for a surprise shower. Enjoy HLS!!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..The Downside to an Oversized Bag

4 Hope August 19, 2011 at 9:36 am

Sounds like a fun morning so far! πŸ™‚ Have a good day!
Hope recently posted..Peach Chicken & Oatmeal Peanut Butter Squares!…

5 Krystina (Organically Me) August 19, 2011 at 9:39 am

Sounds like a great + memorable run. πŸ™‚
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..On My Decision to Eat Meat

6 Cait's Plate August 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

That is a killer buffet! And I hear ya – I’m not a city runner either. Any time I’ve tried to run in NYC (that was not Central Park) I just can’t take it!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Delirious

7 Marissa Elliot August 19, 2011 at 9:47 am

“If you’re new to the blog – HI! – my name is Meghann and I’m one of the founding members ( and this year’s main planner) of the Healthy Living Summit. I’ll be the one running around like a chicken with her head cut off this weekend, but don’t be afraid to say Hi! I promise I’m really nice – scout’s honor! ;)”

funny!

8 Corey @ Learning Patience August 19, 2011 at 9:58 am

Hi there! Good Luck girl – sounds like it’s going to be a super fun and exciting day/weekend! xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Last Night’s Dinner

9 Erica @ Eating On The Run August 19, 2011 at 10:04 am

Wow! Free breakfast and a run on the Rocky stairs. Super envious! Have fun!

10 Christine August 19, 2011 at 10:08 am

whoa whoa whoa – love the idea of putting a muffin top on oatmeal! have a wonderful time this weekend, i wish i was going! xo

11 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 19, 2011 at 10:14 am

I rarely run on trails for a long time, so I’m used to stopping at stoplights. It sucks on a long run- my legs totally lock up!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..16 Miles and a Picnic

12 Diana (Run4Life) August 19, 2011 at 10:23 am

Glad you’re finding time to enjoy Philly in the midst of the crazyness! If you continue past the art museum and go out on Kelly drive there’s a great running path where you can get away from stop lights. Any more runs planned for the weekend? I’m not attending the conference but I live not too far from the art museum and loveeee meeting runners/ bloggers. Just sayin πŸ˜‰
Diana (Run4Life) recently posted..ODDyssey Half Marathon Race Recap

13 Ali @ Ali Runs August 19, 2011 at 10:32 am

Runs in new cities are the best way to explore!! I don’t love the stop and go either, but it’s not bad when you are just running there for a few days. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Vacation to Florida

14 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 19, 2011 at 10:39 am

I have never gone running in a new city – sad, but true! When we were in Boston last summer, we spent so much time walking around that my legs were dead by the end of every night, and we did the same in Cleveland this year. When I visit family, I always run in their neighborhoods, if possible, which are pretty familiar to me!
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..#Fitblog: All About the Music

15 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 19, 2011 at 10:55 am

I LOVE free breakfasts at hotel. MMMM πŸ™‚

Have a good day!

16 Hillary August 19, 2011 at 11:03 am

City running can be really difficult and stop and go, but what a great way to see Philly!
Hillary recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

17 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life August 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

You guys are in my hometown – that’s so exciting!! I used to work right across the street from Love Park. I love it there!

18 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 19, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Free breakfasts are the best!

I always look forhotels that offer them when traveling!

Have such a good weekend….
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Trail Mix Cookies

19 Brittany August 19, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I completely agree with the city running. I hate stopping multiple times, super annoying! Pretty views though.

20 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 19, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I’ve never been to Philly but looks like you’re having a great time!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Little Bee and Major Fail

21 Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter August 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Man, the hotels I stay in never have a breakfast like THAT! Looks delicious though πŸ™‚ I wish I was going to the HLS! It looks like So much FUN!! Have a great time πŸ˜€
Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter recently posted..Twisted Triangle

22 Stephanie August 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Can’t wait to meet you. Thanks for organizing an amazing event!
Stephanie recently posted..The Age Old Debate – the Best Pizza Place Ever

23 Gabriela D. August 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I meant to write compelled not complied!

24 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 19, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love when hotel breakfasts actually have oatmeal! Most just have cereal and doughnuts so it’s really refreshing to find one with heartier options.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Coconut Quick Bread

25 Shayla @ The Good Life August 19, 2011 at 3:27 pm

What a fun start to your day! And what a yummy (free!) breakfast too! And I have to say, that’s so awesome of you to have planned the whole summit by yourself this year, you rock! πŸ™‚
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Staying Positive

26 Army Amy* August 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Running in a new place is always exciting!*
Army Amy* recently posted..Both Ends

27 Hilary August 19, 2011 at 6:37 pm

That breakfast looks good…but not as good as what we’ll have tomorrow! Thanks so much for all your hard work…can’t wait for it all!

28 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) August 19, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I love city running!! And anything that ends with muffin-topped oats sounds like a good deal to me! Enjoy the city and tonight!

29 Brittany in TX August 19, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Enjoy the concierge lounge at the Marriott!!! The people that work there (at least those 2 years ago) are so nice. I got to enjoy that breakfast Tuesday – Friday 2 years ago when I traveled there for work! Have fun in Philly!

30 Jess August 19, 2011 at 10:46 pm

GRRRRR! I am just sooooo mad at myself for not getting tickets! Ya’ll are RIGHT around the corner from me! PLEASE enjoy our city; welcome you graciously! And I DO apologize for all of the stops (crosswalks, etc.) BUT you have to admit; stopping and observing the scenery is pretty crucial, eh? we got good big old buildings πŸ™‚ enjoy!

31 Nikki August 20, 2011 at 8:47 am

It sounds like you guys are having a great time! Maybe next year! πŸ™‚ Keep up the great recaps of your trip, and the Summit!
Nikki recently posted..From AB to BC in Photo