HIM Training: Week 10

by Meghann on August 15, 2011

Six weeks! That’s all I have left is six weeks! Whoop! Whoop!

A look back at the past 9 weeks:

The original week 10 plan:

Screen shot 2011-08-13 at 3.39.27 PM.png

What happens when a training plan mixes with real life:

Screen shot 2011-08-13 at 3.46.47 PM.png

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

• Rest Day!! <– needed this!

Sunday

Totals:

• Swim: 3600 yds
  • Bike: 56 miles
  • Run: 18 miles
  • Strength: 2 Days

Screen shot 2011-08-15 at 2.12.15 PM.png

(Loving DailyMile!)

This was a good week for training. I felt confident in all my workouts and can tell I’m really starting to push myself when it comes to speed and agility. The more weeks tick by, the more dedicated I become.

I’ve really been slacking in the brick department lately, so I made it a point to work a couple of brick workouts into the mix. The goal is to get at least one (or two) in each of the remaining weeks. Another goal is more time in the bike saddle. I’m cutting out my Tuesday spin class in favor of an hour ride outside. The more time on an actual bike, the better.

I wrapped up stage 2 of the New Rules of Lifting For Women this week and am debating continuing on with stage 3 or waiting until after HIM training is finished to move forward. The plan includes week long breaks between each stage, so I still have a few days to decide. I was really hoping to fit strength training into my HIM training, but I can’t decide if I should stick to my program or try something else. Decisions. Decisions.

In other news… my hunger was out of control this weekend! Does anyone else find that they’re more hungry on days they rest? I felt like I couldn’t get enough food on Saturday. Every 2 hours on the dot I had to eat something. I’m trying to incorporate lots of healthy fats and protein in my diet to balance the hunger out. I want to make sure my body as good fuel in it, not junk (even though junk sounds sooo good sometimes… Blizzard anyone? πŸ˜‰ )

Oh, the joys of training!

Today’s lunch had lots of good fats and protein.

I made a tuna salad with hummus, pickles, carrots, tomato, a little mayo, and a whole can of tuna.

The tuna salad was served on a bed of spinach with pretzel pieces (they all broke in the bag πŸ™ )

Pretzels are the new croutons, don’t you know that?! πŸ˜‰

1 Ellie@fitforthesoul August 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Mmmm your salad looks amazingly mouth watering!! πŸ˜›

And great job on your dedication! It sounds like you’re a very persevering type of gal πŸ˜‰
Ellie@fitforthesoul recently posted..Meet Steve

2 Holly August 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I always feel like my appetite is out of control on rest days! It’s so annoying, haha.
Holly recently posted..Vegas Highlights

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Ooo, good idea with the pretzels on the salad!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..The perfect beach day

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

uuhh, best idea ever? pretzels plus tuna salad sounds wonderful!

and gosh, don’t you love it when life gets involved in a training plan? πŸ˜‰
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..HLS Bound… For The Party.

5 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I love pretzels as croutons πŸ™‚

And yeah, I think you could keep going (it’ll help you stay strong) with the 3rd stage, but that is just an opinion!

Eating healthy fats and protein are KEY in helping maintain hunger, as you probably know. Hehe.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Use Essential Oils

6 Karen August 15, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Wow – six weeks left – it is going by fast! I rode the Augusta course this weekend. There are a decent amount of hills on the last 40 miles so if you have any way to get up to Clermont and get some hillwork in, it will help you on race day. My helpful hint of the day πŸ™‚

7 Meghann August 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I’m DYING to get to Clermont to train on the hills! I just need to find the time! πŸ™‚

8 Tami August 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I am impressed you have stuck with the weight trainig thus far, it’s very difficult to fit it all in. I have been doing an upper body workout this season, I will hit the weight room again after my half ironman in a few weeks. I read about a good brick routine
30 minute warm up on the bike
Then 10 minute run
10 minute bike

And so on….I am going to try it this week I think.

9 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Dailymile looks awesome! It even tells you a calorie count!? Oh my lanta…
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Bacon Lips

10 Rae August 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I’m solidly in the camp for waiting for stage 3 after your HIM….bike woman, bike! You’ll thank yourself for it on race day πŸ™‚
Rae recently posted..Pack Mule

11 mary August 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm

awesome week of training! πŸ™‚
mary recently posted..The Time I got Followed Home

12 lisa @ early morning run August 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Great job making your training schedule work around your life schedule! Sometimes it’s so hard to do, but looks like you’ve figured it out. I definitely know what you mean about being more hungry on rest days, but that makes sense for me because I’ve never had much appetite the day of a hard workout.
lisa @ early morning run recently posted..Detroit Half-Marathon Training Recap: Week 1

13 Corey @ Learning Patience August 15, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I always do that with my broken pretzels! πŸ™‚ xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Lemon and Thyme Chicken

14 Hillary August 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I’m RAVENOUS during training; like, I eat more than my brother whose nickname is “The Eater of Things.” Just one of the joys of pushing your body to the limit!
Hillary recently posted..Make You Banana Pancakes

15 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Your posts always make me crave pretzels!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..White Chocolate Raspberry Whipped Cheesecake

16 Cait's Plate August 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I still love that picture of you guys after your rainy bike ride. It’s so great πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Never Gets Old

17 LauraJayne August 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Rest days are by far my hungiest days – Sunday nights are the worst for me. I don’t know why I wasn’t hungry (well, relative to Sunday) on Saturday after running 22 miles, but totally ate everything I could find pre-bed last night!
LauraJayne recently posted..Sage Yogi Advice

18 Katie August 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I totally agree! My rest days is usually Monday’s since my Long run for training in on Sunday…Out of control HUNGER!

19 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 15, 2011 at 4:09 pm

If croutons were as big as those pretzel chunks, I bet folks would eat way more salads!!

That looks delicious, I have been craaaaaving tuna lately. Can’t wait for a little tunabuna myself.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Good Karma Omelet

20 Ali @ Ali Runs August 15, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I can’t believe you only have 6 weeks left!! Awesome job on getting most of your workouts in.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Poolside

21 Tami August 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm

here is that workout i wrote about

A better brick workout

30 minute bike warmup

10 min Running
10 min Biking
10 min Running

10 min biking
5 min running

10 min biking
5 min biking

10 biking
5 min running

20 min cool down on bike

22 Meghann August 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Did you do this at the gym? It would be hard to get my bike in and out of the car so much. πŸ™‚

23 Tami August 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm

i actually haven’t done it yet but i would just leave my bike by my car and hopes that no one would take it (this is what I currently do when I do a small brick after riding) doing it at the gym would defeat the purpose i think of learning to do the transitions (taking shoes off, etc, etc)

24 Meghann August 15, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Yeah, I just don’t trust my bike by my car. The trails I ride on are known for theft. :/ hmm…. What I need to do is visit my parents and take advantage of their garage. I really need to practice transitions too.

25 Jane @ Jane's addictions August 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Love the colorful salad arrangement πŸ™‚ I always try to make my salads as colorful as possible. I heard it’s healthiest when there are at least 5 different color groups. Don’t know if that’s true, but sure is fun to look at and eat.
Jane @ Jane’s addictions recently posted..Friendly 18 Miles

26 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 15, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Pretzel croutons – Yumm!

Yes, I find that I am more hungry on rest days. I wonder if your body just jumps at the chance to get in more calories to fuel all the repairs and muscle building it must be doing.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..A wonderful evening and a fresh start

27 Army Amy* August 15, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Only six weeks left? The HIM will be here in no time! Get it, Girl!*
Army Amy* recently posted..The Hottest Half: Race Recap

28 Melinda R. August 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Hello! This is my first time visiting your site…and I must say, I picked the right day! LOVE LOVE LOVE the colorful salad! I think the chunky tomatoes make it extra yummy, especially since the summer has been soo hot!

Good luck with your training…not much longer – hang in there! πŸ˜‰

29 Alexa @ Simple Eats August 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Wow, what a crazy workout week! You’re getting close, how exciting!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Season’s 52

30 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 15, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Awesome training week girl! You are going to rock this HIM!
Lisa (bakebikeblog) recently posted..Holiday reflections

31 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm

What a fantastic idea to put pretzels in your salad!!! Croutons are overrated anyway! I’m definitely more of a salt lover! Super job with your training!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..Love Myself Monday…Reframing Negative Thoughts and Celebrating Life

32 Sara August 15, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I get exhausted just looking at your training breakdown! Very impressive.
Sara recently posted..Greetings from Flagstaff

33 Melissa August 15, 2011 at 7:30 pm

“pretzels are the new croutons” LOVE it! And awesomeeee training week!!
Melissa recently posted..Peachy Keen

34 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Wow, awesome week for you!! I was just thinking today what it’ll be like to be at week 9 of training and be able to look back at the beginning since that’ll be just about the halfway point. Very cool!

35 Dina August 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Love how you incorporate pretzels into your meals. They are by far my favorite snack (especially the sourdough ones that come in the box.)
Dina recently posted..The Ravenous Pig

36 Sally Anne @ PaleoRunnerGirl August 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Rest days are definitely the days I am most hungry. However, I have found since switching to Paleo eating, I am rarely ravenous. My appetite has been FAR more balanced. Ironically, eating veggies and protein instead of bread fills me up so much better.

37 Allison August 15, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Pretzels make GREAT croutons- so do Goldfish πŸ˜›
Allison recently posted..Sure, I’m Pretty Sweet But a Little Rain Won’t Melt Me

38 Lorin August 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm

How do you have such motivation to do all those workouts? You are awesome! Seriously, I go on the stairclimber for 30 minutes and I’m done. πŸ˜› You’ve worked hard though, so good job!

39 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 16, 2011 at 11:09 am

Congratulations on your commitment and dedication to your training, its amazing to see how much you do! Also, that tuna salad looks divine! πŸ™‚ xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..muddy, sweaty, happy, bike-y, sunday

40 Tammy August 18, 2011 at 11:30 am

I really like how you show a week of workouts in a calendar! Can you tell me how you do that?!