The 50 Mile Ride That Wasn’t

by Meghann on August 10, 2011

Darn you rain!

Looks like my lucky streak with the rain has ended. Not even halfway in and rained out. Booo

We’ve been semi-planning this morning’s ride for a while now. My sister has been going on weekly group rides with friends in Orlando and I’ve been green with envy over it (solo rides aren’t as fun as they seem and I’m not yet confident enough to join in on group rides around here). There’s a popular trail that’s halfway between Orlando and Tampa that’s 29 miles in length. We figured it would be a perfect place to meet to do a long ride together.

And it was.

The trailhead was about an hour from my house, much better than driving 2 hours to Orlando. It was a great middle point for our two crowds.

The plan was to meet at the trailhead at 630am. Courtney was at my place by 5:30 and we loaded up and headed out before 6:00. I had two pieces of toast with almond butter, strawberries and granola before hitting the road.

The drive went quick. There was absolutely no traffic and the early conversation made the drive a breeze.

We met my sister, Amber, and Danielle at the trailhead just as the sun was rising. A little prep work and we were ready to roll.

Unfortunately, we barely made it a mile before Amber was stopped with a flat.

No worries. Courtney came to her rescue with her ninja like tire changing skills and had the new tire on in no time. Teamwork at its best!

We cruised along for another few miles discussing the importance (or un-importance) of wearing underwear with bike shorts, pointing out wildlife (we saw a deer!), and just plain gossiping. It was a nice easy ride with great company. 50 miles was going to be no sweat.

Then we saw the clouds start to roll in. Big, dark clouds that brought loud thunder and lightening with them. Boo.

At mile 7 the rain started and we knew we had a decision to make – continue biking in the rain or turn around. Without knowing how deep the clouds went or when the rain was going top stop, none of us felt comfortable (or confident) enough to continue. We decided to turn around and head back to the start.

Not the decision any of us wanted to make, but we knew it was the best one we had.

The rained picked up on the return ride, as did our speed. We all squeezed into a group cycling ball and gunned it. It didn’t take long until we were back at the start – just 36 mile short of our original goal.

It may not have been the full 50 mile ride any of us were hoping for, but we did get a good hour ride in and I got to spend the morning with my sister and friends. Let’s call this one a half win. πŸ˜‰

We said our good byes to Amber, Danielle, and Kelly as they headed back to Orlando and Courtney and I went out for a quick 2 mile run. If we weren’t going to full 50 miles, might as well get a brick in, right?

We split a chocolate Mix1 during the car ride back.

And I had a couple of Fig Newtons.

When I made it back home I had a small bowl of Cinnamon Cheerios with a spoonful of ricotta and blackberry jam.

Yum.

It’s still raining outside. Sadness. I hope it stops soon – no one likes a rainy day.

Have you ever had to cancel a run or ride halfway through do to weather? What about a race?

1 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 10, 2011 at 11:54 am

Sorry about the rain, but it’s better to be safe! Glad you still had great company!

2 alison August 10, 2011 at 11:57 am

Bummer about the rain! I hate how unpredictable nature can be…especially in the summertime in Florida. Hopefully you’ll be able to meet up again and get that long ride in soon. I’m not sure how far you’d ever like to drive for a ride, but where I grew up, in Citrus County, there is a very long trail on the Rails to Trails system. If you and your riding buddies are ever looking for a change of scenery, it might be worth checking out. http://railstotrailsonline.com/
alison recently posted..Only A Little Bit Scary

3 Cait's Plate August 10, 2011 at 11:58 am

I haven’t had a fig newton in SO long but seeing them on your blog has really had me craving one!

Way to be troopers through that whole adventure, I would’ve given up at the first flat and/or drop of rain! πŸ™‚

4 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food August 10, 2011 at 11:59 am

Sorry about your ride, but at least you had some fun!! πŸ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Pigging Out in NH

5 Shannon August 10, 2011 at 12:02 pm

That’s a shame it was rained out. I hear you on the anxiety to join a group of total strangers on a group ride. I’d be afraid I wasn’t fast enough, etc. even though it probably wouldn’t be a big deal at all.

What did you guys decide? Yay or Nay on the underwear wearing with bike shorts?

6 Meghann August 10, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Nay! πŸ™‚

7 haya August 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm

i don’t think you are supposed to wear underwear with bike shorts. i’ve always read that on the tags that come with my shorts, anyway
haya recently posted..my french macaron experience

8 Shannon @ Mon Amour August 10, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Riding in the rain in pretty dangerous so I always head back if it starts raining. Running in the rain though is no problem
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Home Again

9 Gina @ running to the kitchen August 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Bummer! The rain cancelled my bike plans last night but today the sun is shining so I’m hoping to fit it in later.
Gina @ running to the kitchen recently posted..Sweet & spicy broccoli rabe

10 Hillary August 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm

When I was training for a half marathon last summer, the weather was constantly putting my training in limbo. One hundred degree days with 100% humidity = not good conditions for running 10 miles!
Hillary recently posted..Home

11 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I just got the cinnamon cheerios! Love them! they make me think of when I was little and that was my moms before school go-to breakfast for us. Honey nut cheerios and bananas!
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..His and Her French Toast

12 Hilary August 10, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I’ve never cancelled halfway through a run. Though with a ride that long planned, I don’t blame you!
Hilary recently posted..Child’s Play

13 Laura August 10, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I had to take an extended break on a bridge once (under the cover on the pedestrian part). It was so windy that I was inhaling cherry blossoms and the hail hurt so bad. The pedestrian section was crowded with bikers and runnings seeking refuge. It was kind of pretty to watch all the hail on the river though. And then suddenly, it all broke up and we finished the run in the sun.
Laura recently posted..The run I needed

14 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 10, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I had to turn back on a run the other day when a downpour began– I took it as a bad sign when my earbuds flooded with water and stopped working….
It was saddening πŸ™
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Soup to the Rescue

15 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count August 10, 2011 at 12:50 pm

It has definitely been a rainy couple of days in Florida…at least in Orlando! It downpoured this morning, now it is just cloudy!

16 Bee Goes Bananas August 10, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I love running in the rain, but thunderstorms are another story. As of riding, I generally don’t ride if it looks like it could rain.

17 Anita August 10, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I have to say your toasts with almond butter, strawberries and granola look amazing! I want some πŸ™‚
sorry about your bike ride… but better be safe πŸ™‚
Anita recently posted..Kitchen Remodel Checklist – Make Sure You Are Prepared!

18 Allison August 10, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I live in Tampa and thought of you this morning when I heard thunder booming outside my office! I’m glad you guys turned around. At least where I am, it got pretty nasty. I just recently tried the Rails to Trails that someone else mentioned. It starts on 301, just North of Dade City. So far I really like it!

19 Brittany August 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I actually got rained on the other day while trying to go on a run. It’s been a monsooon everyday lately!

20 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 10, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Half win for sure!!! It looks like you ladies still had a great time together. Usually if there’s a chance of rain I make an executive decision to hit the treadmill, but I have definitely had to come off the golf course before for lightning storms!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday #69

21 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

at least you were still able to have a solid work out with the added run! Hopefully next time you can do the full 50 miles!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – A "Reci-Pea" Remix

22 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 10, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Since I started occasionally rocking the Norts or Under Armor shorts that have those built-in “undies”, I basically never want to wear underwear. It pretty much feels worthless when NONE-derwear is so comfortable and great.

Well, I guess not with jeans. That’s a chafing that no one wants anything to do with.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Can I See Some ID, Ma’am?

23 Vikki August 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I actually like the rain. Good sleeping weather and great for keeping things green (I grew up among farmers so perhaps I’m a strange one.) I do however dislike rain ruining my outdoor plans like hooping. It makes me sad.
Vikki recently posted..Hooping Practice

24 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees August 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Mm that blackberry jam looks gooood. Too bad about the rain and ride!
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Cool running

25 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner August 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm

What a bummer! You’ll get that ride in soon hopefully! I was training for a half marathon back in 2008 – I was doing my final long run of 12 miles before work one day. I have a nice 10K loop near my house that I was planning on running twice. I got about 4 miles in and the skies opened up and started pouring. Of course, I was still 2 miles from my house with absolutely no short cuts. So, I returned home 2 miles later, drenched and unable to finish my last long run. But, come to find out, that prepared me for the actual race that I ran in hurricane-like conditions (Hurricane Ike hit landfall and spiraled up into the midwest, bringing torrential downpours and wind with it). Worst. Race. Ever. They ended up cutting everyone off (marathoners included) at 10 miles due to flooding + downed trees. I will never, ever forget that race!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..orange leaf

26 Meghann August 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Whoa! What race was that?!

27 Army Amy* August 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I’m always bummed when I eat the just right food the night before, fuel up in the morning, and then end up canceling a run. Are you just going to make up the mileage next week?*
Army Amy* recently posted..Walk this way

28 Meghann August 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Yep. I’m going to do 30 miles on Friday and try to squeeze in a 50 mile ride the week after next.

29 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 10, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I live in Seattle. You pretty much do everything in the rain around here. You get used to it after awhile, and the rain can even be refreshing and re-energizing at times.
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Say No to Bread on Drugs!

30 Alaina August 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I ran a race last month when it was thundering and lightening (it wasn’t so bad that they had to cancel the run). It was a day after we had 102* weather in the city so the rain was definitely welcoming. It ended up being a great race!
Alaina recently posted..It’s the Most Wonderful Time…

31 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 10, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I’ve run in the rain a lot before, but if I saw thunder or lightning I wouldn’t think twice about going home! You made the right decision- I think biking in the rain is dangerous!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Marathon Weight Gain

32 Matt August 10, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Be safe, but keep a nice stationary at the house when it happens, btw you got some great ideas for quick fuel efficient meals – now need to find them cost efficient πŸ™‚

33 Madeline - Greens and Jeans August 10, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I hope you guys came to the “nay” conclusion on the underwear thing! I’ve done a lot of bike riding (and I even worked for a cycling apparel company at one point) and you are definitely NOT supposed to wear underwear unless you like chaffage (and I’m not really a fan).
Madeline – Greens and Jeans recently posted..reunited

34 Meghann August 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I was with the “nay” party, but two of the girls were wearing panties under their bike shorts.

35 Heather August 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I live pretty close to you and just yesterday I had an issue with the rain and my long ride. I was going out for 40 miles on my own which isn’t a big deal, but at mile 12 in the pouring rain I got a flat. I changed tubes but 1/2 mile later it was flat again so I decided I would patch the first tube. Here is where it got even more fun, my new CO2 cartride wouldn’t go into the receiver so no dice on fixing it. My choices were 12 miles back to my van or walk my bike 2+ miles home in the ran with no shoes on. I opted to walk home with my bike through a retention pond and somewhat climbed a fence. I then had to ride my old, nasty mountain bike back to my van. Ugh sorry that was long but well hey I’m here is you want to get a long ride in together. We are now friends on DM so let me know.

Heather

36 Meghann August 10, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Whoa – that’s some story! Yes, I would love to meet for a long ride sometimes, it gets kind of lonely out there sometimes!

37 Heather August 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Yes, I agree about the long rides being lonely. Well I have 13 weeks left until my 70.3 and 9 weeks until my first Oly so maybe we can sneak one in before Augusta. I live near the Suncoast Trail, it’s 41 miles long and the end of it has some hills.

38 Meghann August 10, 2011 at 3:59 pm

that’s pretty much my favorite trail. πŸ™‚ e-mail me at mealsandmiles@gmail.com !

39 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 10, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Ahh oh well, at least you still had fun! I haven’t had to cancel due to rain before..but the last time I volunteered at the Tour de Cure, a huge storm hit halfway through! I felt sorry for the 100 milers that were stuck 50 miles out!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Suh-weet day for a suh-weet giveaway!

40 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce August 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Ah rain!
I’m sorry πŸ™
but the strawberries look delicious! πŸ™‚

41 Jessica @ Baybaybites August 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Boo! That’s what I don’t miss about the midwest when trying to workout–thunderstorms! In the Pacific Northwest we always go out in the rain. Or else we might not get outside for weeks sometimes! πŸ™‚
Jessica @ Baybaybites recently posted..Free tea and spices!

42 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 10, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Aww, that is too bad your long ride got rained out :-((

It did look like a gorgeous trail for a bike ride.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Vegan scalloped potatoes

43 Jenni Warren August 10, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I ended up trying to go for a run in the rain today. I stayed close to my apartment just in case it got bad,which it eventually did. I had to call it quits after about three miles due to some close lightning. But, it was my first attempt at running in the rain, and I actually enjoyed it!
I really do wish the weather would get back to sunshine, though!
Jenni Warren recently posted..August 9, 2011

44 allpointswhole August 10, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Bummer! I am so sorry! I am fortunately exactly 4 weeks post surgery and although I was afraid in the past, it is gorgeous here and I am ready to hop on my bike!!

45 Meghann August 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Woo hoo!!!! Great News!!!

46 Lyndsi @ Lyndsi and David August 10, 2011 at 7:27 pm

It’s been storming like mad in Northwest Florida, too. Three days of massive thunderstorms. Crazy.
Lyndsi @ Lyndsi and David recently posted..Peanut Butter Cookies

47 Morgan @ Endorphaholic August 10, 2011 at 7:41 pm

The ricotta and jam looks delicious!!
Morgan @ Endorphaholic recently posted..I Ran Too Much

48 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 10, 2011 at 7:45 pm

awww sorry about the rain! I hate when it ruins my plans too πŸ™ boo.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Blueberries

49 Amy August 10, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Too bad that your ride got rained out.
I remember one of my running partners messaging me the night before a run when it was pouring with rain telling me that I would still show up at 6am unless I was made of sugar. So like a good little girl I turned up, shivering, and then proceeded to laugh when he was advocating that we give up the run!
I still went out for 6 miles though and it was one of the best runs I’ve ever had πŸ™‚
Amy recently posted..The Art of Rambling

50 clare @ livingspreethegoodlife.wordpress.com August 10, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I LOVE how incredibly flat that trail is. AM-azing. When I was training for my HIM here in the Blue Ridge Mountains my 40+ mile training rides were brutally technical. That’s probably why I ended up hurting my knee! Keep up the great work, I love to read about it πŸ™‚

51 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) August 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Oh man, that is such a bummer! Those FL rains are CRAZY when they hit. Hopefully you can get the long ride in sometime soon..
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Stressball

52 Angela @ My Pinky Toes August 10, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I’m so jealous of all you bike-riders out there! I want to try it so bad…with a real road bike, I mean.
By the way, you breakfast looks sooo delicious! I must try!
Angela @ My Pinky Toes recently posted..Twenty. BOOM!

53 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Holy blackberry jam! That looks delicious
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Prom Dress Flashbacks

54 Kristen @ Random Ramblings August 11, 2011 at 12:21 am

Sorry that your ride got rained out… would kill for some rain in Dallas right now! Going on day 42 of temps over 100 and can’t even remember the last time we had rain! Send it our way!!
Kristen @ Random Ramblings recently posted..Happy Happy Joy Joy!!

55 Socal Rachel August 11, 2011 at 1:25 am

I’ve ridden in the rain a few times. I figure if you are already out a drenched what’s the point of cutting it short. I’m not saying its fun.

56 Holly August 11, 2011 at 6:27 pm

hate to be the counter point here, but i’d LOVE a rainy day or 10 right now…we haven’t had any to speak of since January and it’s getting desperate. my 70.3 in november is being threatened because they might have to drain the lake to provide the city with water if we don’t get major rain in the next week.

i do understand not wanting workouts rained out though- it’s a total bummer!

57 Danielle Dillard August 15, 2011 at 10:57 am

A big bummer we didn’t get to finish this ride… we’ll have to try again sometime!
Danielle Dillard recently posted..shopping for workout clothes on a budget