Rain, Rain, Go Away

by Meghann on August 9, 2011

Come again some other day.

It started raining on my way to the trail this morning and continued sprinkling as I set my bike up. i saw the wet seat and streets and figured I was destined for my first wet ride on a bike. There’s a possibility that it may rain in Augusta, so a couple of wet training rides may be a good thing.

Lucky for me, the rain stopped almost as soon as I hopped on my bike. I managed 12 dry miles with just a few clouds in the sky and the sun barely peaking through. The ride was slow. I still need to fix the brake rubbing on my back tire (I know, I know – I’m heading to the bike store today to purchase the tool to fix it) and I could really feel it on the ride. :/

After my 12 miles were done, I made a quick shoe change and headed back out for a run. 2 miles out, 2 miles back, and I was done with my first brick workout in over a month. It felt good. πŸ™‚

And you know what?

I had just closed the door to my car when the skies opened up again and it began to pour.

That’s what I call luck. πŸ™‚

I made it home safely and got to work making a green smoothie for breakfast.

In the blender:

• Spinach
  • Frozen Pineapple
  • Frozen Mango
  • Ice
  • Vanilla GoTein
  • Xanthum Gum
  • Chia Seeds
  • Vanilla Soy Milk

On top:

• Chocolate Granola
  • Erewhon Cocoa Brown Rice Crispies

I’m so used to eating smoothies with a spoon now, that it’s weird to think about drinking them with a straw. I prefer them extra thick and creamy with a good crunch to them. The fun color is just a bonus. πŸ˜‰

The other week I started listening to The Help on audiobook during my runs.

This book has been highly recommended to me in the past, but the synopsis of the story never really sparked my interest. Then I saw the preview for the upcoming movie based on the book and all of a sudden I knew i had to read it. I’m a sucker for reading/listening to books that are about to be released in theaters – I guess the movie previews do a better job of selling of the book to me than the book jackets.

I’m only a couple of chapters in, but I’m already hooked. The story really pulls you in and I find myself wishing my runs were longer so I could listen to more. I love the 1960s setting and the multiple point of views. I also find it fascinating that the main whites girls are only in their early 20s and already have families with maids and worrying about this and that. I still felt like a baby at 23 (actually sometimes I still feel like a baby at 26). I can’t wait for my next run to hear more!

What are you currently reading? Anything good?! I just finished One Day (yes, another book turned movie) and I loved it. It’s a great light read if you’re looking for something to get lost in poolside.

1 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 9, 2011 at 10:35 am

Right now I’m reading Little Bee by Chris Cleave. It’s REALLY well-written. I’m only two chapters in and it’s excellent.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Honey Do List and Other Randomness

2 michelle August 9, 2011 at 10:36 am

I am so excited to see The Help! I read the book while on the beach in Mexico and couldn’t put it down.

I have heard good things about The Hunger Games as well.
michelle recently posted..Our Move to Germany: the movers

3 Mary August 9, 2011 at 10:37 am

I’m reading the help too, i’m about 150 pages in and I LOVE IT! I love that there are different points of view, and the setting of the 60’s and all of the civil rights stuff that’s going on.

it boggles my mind that women our age in that story already have kids and a family and a lot of them never even finished college.
Reminds me of mona lisa smile, have you ever seen it? if not, go check it out, it’s a great movie!
Mary recently posted..Its Still Hot

4 Mary @ food and fun on the run August 9, 2011 at 10:38 am

I’m reading the help now too! Im only about 20 pages on, but already loving it.

I also just finished Shanghai Girls. I definitely recommend it. It is about two sister that were given arranged marriages in Shanghai, and how they got through so many things together during that time. Awesome read!
Mary @ food and fun on the run recently posted..Weekends are for fun

5 Orla August 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

I just started the Help last week. I didn’t realize it was being made into a movie.
As for your rain – you should come to Ireland for a couple months – after that doing anything in the rain would be second nature. It is unfortunate but true that if I draw the curtains in the morning and it is sunny (during the summer) it is a pleasant surprise. But I still have an umbrella and coat in the back of my car. Just in case!
Orla recently posted..The Beetroot Chronicles – Continued

6 Biz August 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

I actually don’t mind running in the rain – I feel bad ass when I do! The bike scares me though when its wet. πŸ™

I am reading Two Kisses for Maddie – about a husband whose wife suddenly the day after their daughter was born – so within 24 hours his daughter is born and his wife dies – so sad!

You can check out his blog here: http://www.mattlogelin.com/
Biz recently posted..I forgot my insulin!

7 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 10:58 am

Yes – I’ve read his blog! Such a great Dad, I need to pick that book up soon.

8 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 9, 2011 at 10:42 am

I got halfway through The Help and started another book, but I really want to see it in theaters! I want to finish the book first though πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Pizza Crust!

9 Rebekah August 9, 2011 at 10:43 am

I loved the book and cannot wait to see the movie

I have Sarah’s Key and plan on reading it while on Vacation.

10 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 9, 2011 at 10:43 am

Good timing on your run!!! I love when I time things just right to miss the rain!

I love the color of your smoothie today… it just screams nutrients!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Rock ‘N’ Roll Providence Half Marathon Race Recap!

11 Lauri August 9, 2011 at 10:43 am

I just finished “Before I go to sleep” while vacationing. it’s not really a light beach read because it is full of suspense and questions, but it kept my attention and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Lauri recently posted..It’s a mystery…

12 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 9, 2011 at 10:44 am

I’ve heard good things about The Help–it’s on my list!

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 9, 2011 at 10:44 am

I think it’s raining everywhere today! It was pouring here in southern Ontario earlier this morning and it’s still all gray and gross. At least your brekkie was good! I’m not reading anything right now but can’t wait to see The Help – that book was awesome!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Snap! Crackle! Pop! Amaranth Krispies?

14 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

I just finished Kitchen House, which I recommend if you like(d) The Help. Now I’m on to Dorwning Ruth. Both recommended by Jenna who is the primary source of my reading material πŸ˜‰
I had the brake rubbing thing happen to me on my bike on Sunday too. It’s amazing how much slower and harder it is with just a little bit of resistance, isn’t it!?
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Mango lassi

15 Karen @ Run Shop Travel August 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

I recently read The Help also and loved it! Enjoy!
Karen @ Run Shop Travel recently posted..Peppers

16 April @ Marathons N Martinis August 9, 2011 at 10:50 am

The Help is such a good book! I really enjoyed it and can’t wait to see the movie.
Right now, I’m reading “The Art of Racing in the Rain.” It’s told from a dog’s perspective and is soooo good so far. I’m almost 2/3 finished and can’t wait to read more. It’s definitely kind of sad, but it’s such a good story.
April @ Marathons N Martinis recently posted..Three Things I’m Excited About Thursday

17 Shannon @ Mon Amour August 9, 2011 at 10:51 am

I really want to read The Help. I also just became interested based on the movie preview.
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Home Again

18 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 9, 2011 at 10:52 am

I feel like I haven’t read a book in such a long time! I’ve hear the help was good too. Nice brick workout! You sure were lucky πŸ™‚
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..Blackberry Oat Smoothie

19 Margo August 9, 2011 at 10:54 am

I read The Help awhile ago, and absolutely loved it! Now I recommend it to anyone looking for a good read. Hope the movie doesn’t disappoint!

Nice job on the brick workout!

20 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit August 9, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’m reading the second book in the Game of Thrones series called A Clash of Kings. My husband has always loved the books, and they recently started a series on HBO that follows the book exactly. Season 2 doesn’t start until the spring so I have time to catch up!

I have the Hunger Games on the backburner sitting in my Kindle. I started it and then got on the Game of Thrones wagon and haven’t had time to go back!

21 Jen August 9, 2011 at 10:56 am

I loved the Help, too. It was one of the best books I’ve read! I have yet to listen to an audio book, though, I guess I just really like holding the book in my hand!
Jen recently posted..Camping Out

22 Ali @ Ali Runs August 9, 2011 at 10:57 am

The Help was such an amazing book! I cannot wait to see it in theaters later this week. I just finished, “The Violets of March” which was such a fast read! I am about to start, “A Dog’s Purpose” which my dad and sister highly recommended to me, as a dog lover. I love reading πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon, Here I Come!

23 Jenni Warren August 9, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’m currently reading The Time Traveler’s Wife. I saw the movie when it came out, though…which makes reading it slower for me since I already know what’s going to happen.
Jenni Warren recently posted..August 3, 2011

24 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 11:06 am

LOVED Time Traveler’s Wife! I read the book when the movie came out – it’s a great read.

25 Corey @ Learning Patience August 9, 2011 at 11:07 am

Glad to see you stayed dry – very lucky! The exercise gods smiled on you… lol
So excited to go see The Help…it looks like a great story! Not reading anything rt now…taking a book break! xoxo from Trinidad

26 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 9, 2011 at 11:10 am

Gah, Orlando rain is one of the things I surely do NOT miss!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Vegan Wheat-free French Toast

27 Cait's Plate August 9, 2011 at 11:10 am

I JUST finished The Help! I absolutely flew through it (it was actually recommended to me on audio book too but I read it instead). I absolutely cannot wait for the movie to come out tomorrow, I will be seeing it this weekend!

Also? I REALLY need to try a xantham gum smoothie – I can’t believe how thick it gets!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..From Good to Great

28 Mallory @ It's Only Life August 9, 2011 at 11:12 am

Currently reading “The Help,” which I need to finish so I can go see the movie! Next on my list is “Little Bee” which I was given from my dad. He said it was amazing.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..A Chocolate Chip Cookie Kind of Night

29 Mac August 9, 2011 at 11:12 am

Currently reading Jillian Micheals new book, it’s not bad. I’m not sure what I expected it to be. I’m only about half way through it, I’ll be doing a review when I finally finish it.
Mac recently posted..Family Reunion

30 allpointswhole August 9, 2011 at 11:18 am

Wow! Perfect timing and awesome workout. Congrats!

31 Tracy August 9, 2011 at 11:27 am

Great brick workout!

I am half way through The Help, and I love it! I had heard about for months, but it never really sparked my interest until I started hearing about the movie. It’s a really great book that keeps a smile on my face and makes time fly by!

32 Army Amy* August 9, 2011 at 11:34 am

I’m reading Sarah’s Key which was recently made into a movie. It’s an excellent book, but it’s a heavy subject matter.*
Army Amy* recently posted..How are the kiddies?

33 Laura August 9, 2011 at 11:37 am

I just finished reading “Room.” I really liked it, but the subject matter is very heavy. I had read the Jaycee Duggard memoir right before it (I didn’t realize that it would be a whole month of reading about kidnapping).

Now I’m reading “It looked better on the model” by Laurie Notaro. Good light hearted snarkiness. Love it!
Laura recently posted..Not changing, but creating

34 Deva (Voracious Vorilee) August 9, 2011 at 11:39 am

I just jumped onto the “Shopaholic” train and started reading that series. I’m enjoying it so far. There’s been manga, too πŸ™‚
Deva (Voracious Vorilee) recently posted..Band On The Run

35 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I’ve read every book in the series… twice! Love it!

36 Jess@atasteofconfidence August 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

I am reading One Day right now, too. It’s good so far but I’m still trying to get REALLY into it!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Happy 50th, TTA

37 Lindsey August 9, 2011 at 11:52 am

I am also reading The Help, next up for me – Wicked!
Lindsey recently posted..Baking Machine

38 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Wicked was good, but really, really dark.

39 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees August 9, 2011 at 11:54 am

Lucky you with the rain! I’m currently reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, all about eating home-grown food, it’s a neat read, but a bit slow. But all about veggies, mm!
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Driving back to Boston

40 Katelyn@ Foodie Goes to School August 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I just finished “One Day” too! PERFECT summer read! So excited for the movie.

41 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 9, 2011 at 12:01 pm

reading “food cures” by Joy Bauer. So far so good. However, I’m obsessed with errewhon cocoa crispies. I top my banana soft serve with them. LOVE

42 Lindsey August 9, 2011 at 3:31 pm

good for you for reading the book before you see the movie! i just wrote about this! i’m reading “twenties girl” by sophie kinsella- it would make a cute romantic comedy!

43 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I listened to that on audiobook a while back. It was a cute, fun read, er…listen

44 Lacey @ Lake Life August 9, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I love Sophie Kinsella but dislike “Twenties Girl.” “Can You Keep a Secret” and the first 3 Shopaholic books are my favorites. I can’t wait to read some of the books she wrote when she was Madeleine Wickham. (I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that she’s 42, she writes so young!)
Lacey @ Lake Life recently posted..The Story of July

45 Ellie August 9, 2011 at 10:46 pm

That’s funny, I think Twenties Girl is by far her best. I think my other favorite is Remember Me? but I like Can You Keep A Secret a lot too. I’ve read a couple of her Madeleine Wickham books and they are definitely not as good. They’re more melodramatic and satirical instead of humorous. I was surprised by how different they seemed.

46 Cate @ CKinCA August 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm

“Violets of March” by Sarah Jio. It’s a great, quick read. Also would recommend every Emily Giffin book. Start with “Something Borrowed”.

I really want to read “The Help”. I never thought about audiobooks for workouts… I think that might help get me in the exercise mood!
Cate @ CKinCA recently posted..Finishing the Important Things

47 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 4:19 pm

LOVE Something Borrowed! I read it twice!

48 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes August 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I just finished The Help and started One Day last week. Great minds think/read alike.
I know I’m going to sound like a complete technology idiot but how do I go about getting an audio book on my ipod/iphone/kindle? Um, probably the ipod or iphone considering running with a kindle is a no-go πŸ™‚
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Marathon Training: Week 7

49 Lacey @ Lake Life August 9, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I’m reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix right now. I just started reading Harry Potter a couple months ago and now I’m hooked! I do have “The Help” on my to-read list as well πŸ™‚

50 Rachel August 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I’m reading the nonfiction book Green Metropolis, which argues that Manhattan, despite its dirty reputation, is actually more environmentally friendly than the rest of the country. It is a great book! After that I plan to finally read Steinbeck’s East of Eden to coincide with my move from NYC to California.
Rachel recently posted..Sound Savorings, Part 1: Humane Food

51 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ August 9, 2011 at 7:37 pm

i LOVED the Help and I cannot wait to see it this weekend! I also love Sarah’s Key, Those Who Save Us, The Forgotten Garden, The Kitchen House…I could go on forever! I love books πŸ™‚
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ recently posted..Savings Savvy…Or At Least Trying To Be

52 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life August 9, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I just read Run By Dean Karnazes and The Long Run by Matt Long. Both were amazing and I read them both in less than three days. They make you want to go out and run!
Emily @ Comfortable Home Life recently posted..Hash Browns & Waffle House

53 Jessica August 9, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I LOVED “The Help” but I’m a little annoyed that they are making they movie look so funny and lighthearted. Yes, there are funny parts but it’s also a really serious book that deals with some important issues. I’m just really picky about books that are turned into movies. I’m rarely satisfied with the book. Harry Potter has been one of the only books turned to movies that I love.
Jessica recently posted..Friday Night Double Date @ The Fountain Bistro and Drive-Thru

54 Alaina August 10, 2011 at 7:47 am

Right now I’m reading “A Thousand Sisters” by Lisa Shannon. It’s a tough book to read but really good. I think I need to find a funny book to read after this one.
Alaina recently posted..It’s the Most Wonderful Time…

55 Lisa in IL August 11, 2011 at 2:49 pm

The Help was excellent, next on your list should be My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares – really really good., as in can’t put it down good.

56 Meghann August 11, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I’m having trouble putting The Help down. I fell asleep with my earbuds in last night! πŸ™‚