HIM Training: Week 9

by Meghann on August 8, 2011

It’s that time again.

Time to recap my week of training and – trust me – this one was a doozy.

A look back:

This is what I had in mind when I created my training plan 10 weeks ago:

Screen shot 2011-08-08 at 1.23.46 PM.png

And this is what reality looks like:

Screen shot 2011-08-08 at 1.29.29 PM.png

• Swim: 5700 yds
  • Bike: 55 miles
  • Run: 17.5 miles
  • Strength: 2 days
  • Misc: Swing Yoga

Ouch. This week hurt.

I’m working hard at upping my mileage and it’s starting to show in my numbers. 5700 yds of swimming? 55 miles on the bike? Still, not super high, but it’s the highest I’ve seen since I’ve started training! πŸ™‚ Trying to fit in so much mileage between three sports is TOUGH, I’ve had to start incorporating two-a-days just to get everything in. Apparently I’m not the only one – the majority of triathletes I’ve spoke with rely on two-a-days during peak training season. I may never have a free minute to spare again.

Something I found interesting… on Friday I biked 40 miles, on Saturday I swam 2 k, and on Sunday I ran 9 miles. The three consecutive days of endurance workouts left me exhausted and pooped, BUT none of those numbers come close to the 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run I’ll have to do back-to-back on September 25th. Gulp.

What did I get myself into again? πŸ˜‰

1 Sarah @TheExPatBride August 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Swing yoga!?!? I want in on that please!
Sarah @TheExPatBride recently posted..Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

2 Marissa Elliot August 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm

why no rest days??

3 Meghann August 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Saturday was supposed to be a rest day, but we ended up going to Lucky’s Lake and I couldn’t resist a chance at an open water. Is it weird that swim days feel like rest days? It just doesn’t take it out of me like running and cycling do.

4 Laura August 8, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I have some good news for you: 2K is more than 1.2 miles! you busted out more than the swim portion without even realizing it πŸ™‚

5 Meghann August 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Those numbers always confuse me!!! Thanks for letting me know πŸ™‚

6 Rae August 8, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Actually, they are the same, lol. A HIM swim is 2000 meters, or, in some cases, 2112 (dont ask me why). the good news is most triathletes dont come close to hitting the distance for their first HIM strung together!! I think youre kicking butt…just my thought, though…would it hurt to drop the weights and any “extras” for the next few weeks? I dont weight train during peak season because A: it tears down your muscles and you need precious recovery wherever you can get it and B: with two a days, who has time? The 3 disciplines are most important, and anytime in the saddle is much better spent, IMO.
Rae recently posted..Tunes for Benincasa

7 Meghann August 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm

The thought has crossed my mind. πŸ™‚

8 Donna August 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm

“Friday I biked 40 miles, on Saturday I swam 2 k, and on Sunday I ran 9 miles. The three consecutive days of endurance workouts left me exhausted and pooped, BUT none of those numbers come close to the 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run I’ll have to do back-to-back on September 25th. ”

Yes, but you’re not done with your training yet, and with all the hours you are putting in, you won’t be recovering fully between each day at this stage when you’re upping your mileage. You’re putting in the time and the effort. You’re gonna kill the 70.3. Incidentally, yours is on the same day as mine! πŸ™‚

9 Emily August 8, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Not too much Meghann πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..A lazy weekend

10 Cait's Plate August 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Not sure what you got yourself into – but you’re doing such an awesome job of it!! I think Wednesday was my favorite day – I’m still so jealous and dying to do that!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Lunch Routine

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm

You still have a lot of training left, I’m sure you will rock the HIM!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Biking to the kitchen?

12 michelle August 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm

All that training will pay off. I looked at a sample ironman training plan and that scared me. Be happy you aren’t doing that yet!
michelle recently posted..Frankfurt Marathon Training: Week 6

13 Kate @ NaturaStride August 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm

WOW – nice mileage. You’ll get there – still have a month and a half! Well on your way.
I hear ya though, I’m training for a 1/2 marathon in sept and have been trying to keep my mileage above 40 and it’s a struggle!!! welcome to racing season πŸ™‚
Kate @ NaturaStride recently posted..Donating My Body to Science: BodPod Test

14 Tami August 8, 2011 at 2:50 pm

you can do it, it seems overwhelming but you will be prepared when the race comes. be sure to do a few brick workouts. Last year when I started doing tri’s my friends talked about “aquabike”, i foolishly thought it was some type of bike in the water…no, it’s when you do a brick of swimming and running…that’s what i am doing this weekend 1 mile swim and a 40 mile bike ride
Tami recently posted..First of the month

15 Lindsay August 8, 2011 at 3:31 pm

“I may never have a free minute to spare again”.

Ugh, I feel you. During tri season I feel like any minute I have outside of work is devoted to training, eating, sleeping or doing laundry. I do two-a-days most days of the week. It sucks at first, but it’s really the only way to fit yoga and strength training in there as well.

Hang in there!

16 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 8, 2011 at 3:31 pm

You can totally do it! You’ve been training for weeks and you are getting super strong! You still have over a month to prepare. I can’t wait to hear how your triathlon goes in September.
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Move aside Keira Knightley

17 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 8, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Good luck! It looks tough!!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..The List is Toast

18 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I’ve thought that too- on weeks I run 26 miles I feel so tired, and then I remember that in two months I’ll have to run 26 miles in one DAY!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Chicago Marathon Training Plan- Week Four

19 Hilary August 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Yep. You’re hard core.
Hilary recently posted..You say tomato…

20 Emily@SavoryandSavage August 8, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Wow, that is really impressive. It seems like a lot now but you will be happy you did the training when you hit the day of your triathlon.
Emily@SavoryandSavage recently posted..Crispy potato rounds with smoked salmon and sour cream

21 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 8, 2011 at 4:40 pm

You’re doing awesome!! Keep it up!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Share Our Strength’s Taste of the Nation

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 8, 2011 at 6:05 pm

You’ll be able to do it–because that is the nature of the mind and setting it to something!! πŸ™‚

Nice work!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Vacation Food

23 amanda August 8, 2011 at 6:12 pm

love this! you’re so inspirational !!
amanda recently posted..Marathon for ECEF: Esophageal Cancer Education Foundation

24 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 9, 2011 at 5:51 am

You are hardcore, girl, and are doing so well! I have so much respect for you for committing to this big challenge – sounds like you are doing amazing! πŸ˜€ xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..my favourite yoga pose

25 Ali @ Ali Runs August 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

Congrats on your awesome workouts last week! I love the addition of the pictures. πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Philadelphia Marathon, Here I Come!

26 Meghann August 9, 2011 at 10:38 am

haha you must have saw my tweet πŸ˜›