Master Kelly

by Meghann on August 6, 2011

Introducing the newly crowned Kelly, B.S., M.A.!!

For the past two years my little sister has been working her booty off writing paper after paper, taking test and after test and studying more hours than I’ve probably studied my whole life. She put her heart and soul into an 80 page thesis with a title that I’m not even sure I could pronounce (or even being to understand). She’s had to turn down invitations for free meals, nights out, and even impromptu vacations, just to spend countless hours grading papers as a TA. She’s given this program everything she’s had and FINALLY she has the little piece of paper to prove it was all worth it.

Today my sister graduated from the University of Central Florida with a Master of the Arts in Anthropology and I, for one, could not be more proud.

Kelly rocks, there’s no doubt about that. When I graduated from FSU, the last thing I wanted to do was continue with more school. I was burnt out and ready for a change. Kelly, on the other hand, couldn’t wait to move on. She started school with a desire to get into business, then psychology, and finally found her calling with anthropology. That calling was really a passion, a passion that beamed every time she spoke of early cultures, man, and evolution. It was also one that landed her in the graduate program at UCF and brought her to graduation day a short two years after she began.

If only we could all be so lucky to find something we’re so passionate about. :)

Congrats Kelly! You’ve earned it!

Today was a big day for our family. Obviously. There was talks of doing a big lunch before the 2:00pm commencement ceremony, but a big dinner sounded more appealing and easier to coordinate. For lunch we kept it easy and make a pit stop at the Hummus House on our way to the arena.

The Hummus House is a local version of Pita Pit, only with a greater emphasis on, well, hummus.

Kelly and I decided to split the Falafel Pita.

Complete with falafel, hummus, tomato, cucumber,spinach, olives, banana peppers, and a tzatziki dressing.

Yum. :)

With bellies full of good food, we were ready to do this thing.

IMG_0543.jpg

Graduation time!

It was a PACKED house. Looks like Kelly wasn’t the only excited to graduate. I would say an eighth of the crowd were doctorate candidates, a quarter were graduating with their masters, and the rest were walking for their bachelors. Add up all those numbers (plus 5 tickets a graduate) and every seat was full.

Let’s play ‘Where’s Kelly?’

Can you spot her?

Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah. You are our future. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Oh, look! It’s Kelly’s turn!

(This is the part where we shout very loudly and annoy the people around us. ;) )

Only one million and fifty-five more graduates to go! ;) Good thing they did the master students first.

We waited it out with M&Ms

And taking funny photos.

In all honesty, the ceremony wasn’t too long. UCF did a great job keeping it short and sweet. Only 3 hours and no speeches longer than 10 minutes. I’d say that equals commencement success. :)

And it was all worth it to see Kelly’s smiling face at the end.

IMG_0680.jpg

Who’s ready to blow this joint?

We made a pit stop at Kelly’s on the way to dinner (to let the dogs out) and I grabbed a handful of peanuts to calm my grumbling belly.

We kept dinner casual (comfy clothes all the way!) and selected Shipyard Emporium as our restaurant of choice.

I enjoyed a delicious Coffee Amber Beer (an in house brew, which tasted just like coffee!)

The table split some hummus and artichoke dip.

The hummus was my favorite. It was rich and creamy with just a hint of garlic – enough for flavor, but not enough to make you need a piece of gum after every bite.

The last time I was here I was disappointed by my order (the BBQ Chicken Flatbread), but found myself drooling over everyone else’s. This time I learned my lesson and ordered something that had me licking my lips before.

IMG_0715.jpg

The Chevre Salad with Grilled Chicken Breast was an excellent choice.

I scraped the goat cheese off the bread and smeared it all over the salad. It acted as a rich, creamy dressing that worked well with the grilled vegetables. The chicken was added to amp up the protein profile of the salad. More protein = more filling. :)

Despite only be 9:00, I am more than ready to crash. It’s been a long day. A good day, but a long one.

Good Night!

1 Ashley August 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm

So exciting!!! She must be thrilled!! I can not wait to be done with my masters.
Ashley recently posted..Conference Confession

2 Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) August 6, 2011 at 9:53 pm

That’s awesome!! The hummus place looks amazing–I wish they had those in Ohio!!
Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) recently posted..Yummy Panera Soup

3 Army Amy* August 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I love a good graduation! I guess I’m just sentimental like that. Your falafel looks so good! Ever since I got hooked on falafels in Germany, I’ve been on the prowl for a good one stateside. Sadly, I’ve yet to find a good falafel place in Texas.*
Army Amy* recently posted..The one where Army Amy makes up with ATT

4 Jennifer Thornburgh August 6, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I too graduated from FSU in 2005 and I graduated with my Masters in Reading Education from UCF today as well, however, my ceremony was at 9 AM. Congrats to your sister!

5 Jenna August 6, 2011 at 10:56 pm

hey meghann– i’m a fairly new reader who is quite enjoying your blog :D. congrats to your sister– as a fellow academian, i was wondering is she planning on going for her phd in anthro?

6 Kelly August 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm

At this point I don’t plan to pursue my phd. However, I don’t want to rule it out completely. I guess I will see where life takes me. :)
Kelly recently posted..I’m Graduating Today!

7 Jessica August 6, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Hi Meghann, I totally saw you at dinner tonight! You and your family were leaving, we were seated in the section by the beers/wines for sell. Ya’ll had big crowd :) Congratulations to your sister!

8 Cait's Plate August 6, 2011 at 11:36 pm

Yay! I’m SO excited for Kelly! :) Congrats to her!! I remember when she stopped blogging to focus on this (and am so glad she’s back!) so I’m SO happy for her it’s finally done!!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Extended Vacation

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 6, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Sounds like a great day of celebrating. congrats Kelly!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Fun Friday fotos

10 Bee Goes Bananas August 6, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Congratulations Kelly!!!
Bee Goes Bananas recently posted..Forgot About Lunch

11 Mary August 7, 2011 at 12:15 am

Yay Kelly!!

I feel like I was JUST at that same arena in May for HB’s Brother’s Graduation from UCF Nursing School!
Mary recently posted..Running Gadgets I Cannot Live Without

12 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 7, 2011 at 1:01 am

Congrats to Kelly! That’s an interesting field to study- I considered majoring in anthropology :)
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Weights and Measures

13 Caroline August 7, 2011 at 1:33 am

Congrats to Kelly!!

I just want to say that I love how in this post (and your bro’s MD graduation post also) you highlighted just how hard she worked, the sacrifices she had to make, etc. There was work put into the degree, and you’re a wonderful sister to showcase that!
Caroline recently posted..Kitchen Sink Cookies

14 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 7, 2011 at 3:24 am

Your family is so cute :) Congrats to Kelly!
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Isn’t Running an Inexpensive Sport?

15 Marian Schembari August 7, 2011 at 5:03 am

I’m sure people say this ALL the time, but I can’t tell you how happy it makes me that your sister’s name includes “Christin Anderson” ;-)
Marian Schembari recently posted..On the Road Again…

16 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 7, 2011 at 5:27 am

Yey for UCF being efficient with graduation!
Kelly looks so happy– She’s definitely very deserving of all that she worked for. Congrats!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..A Steak-less Meal

17 Corey @ Learning Patience August 7, 2011 at 6:26 am

Congrats to your sister! Looks like a fun, family day! Love the Hummus place…hmm great idea! I heart hummus! xoxo from Trinidad
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Saturday – Part 1 – The Good

18 katie August 7, 2011 at 7:58 am

CONGRATS to Kelly! I bet she is so happy she is done!!!

You guys are a group of very smart siblings, I know your parents are proud!
katie recently posted..Organize All the Little old { day }

19 Ali @ Ali Runs August 7, 2011 at 8:08 am

Congrats to Kelly!! I am in grad school and I know I cannot wait for the day I can walk across that stage and officially become a master’s student! It’s so great that you were all there to celebrate with her! You guys seem to be a great family!!

20 Sarah K August 7, 2011 at 8:23 am

Congratulations to Kelly! I’m sure she’s so glad to be done!
Sarah K recently posted..My Whole Family is Cooler than Me.

21 Alaina August 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

Congratulations to Kelly!!! That is so amazing!! My husband wants to go back for his Masters. I’ve thought about it but don’t know if I want to deal with homework again. :-P

22 Victoria August 7, 2011 at 9:23 am

Getting a Masters is such a huge accomplishment! Congrats to your sister!
Victoria recently posted..I’m Guesting!

23 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

Congrats to Kelly! I could not wait to be done with my undergrad so I admire folks that are so diligent and keep wanting to stay in academia. What are Kelly’s plans now after getting her diploma?
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Hungry Hulk

24 Kelly August 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Check out my blog!! :) At this point I am looking for a full-time job.
Kelly recently posted..I’m Graduating Today!

25 Dina August 7, 2011 at 10:37 am

Congrats to Kelly!

I have been dying to get to Shipyard because I love beer and trying new places. A coworker keeps tormenting me because he lives up that way and has eaten their several times.
Dina recently posted..Why my cats are cuter than yours

26 Krystina (Organically Me) August 7, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Congrats, Kelly!!!!!! That’s such an accomplishment.

I’ve been wanting to go to Shipyard for a few weeks now but can’t convince anyone to go with me. >:(
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Long Time, No See

27 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Yay congrats to your sis! I love Hummus House, especially their falafel pita. It’s so wonderful!