more ยป" />

Swing Yoga

by Meghann on August 3, 2011

Swing. Yoga. Is. Awesome.

Seriously. It’s a mix between aerial silks and yoga and I think I’m in love. :)

Remember when I took that Aerial Silks class in Orlando a couple of months ago?

IMG_6592.jpg

That class ruled too. My arms and upper back were sore for a few days afterwards – indicating a killer workout. Plus, it was just plain fun.

Unfortunately the studio is located about an hour further than I prefer to drive for a good fitness class. I found a similar studio in Clearwater (which I still need to try!), but, again, that’s a little far for me.

When my friend Valerie had mentioned that Yoga Downtown Tampa is now offering swing yoga classes at Yoga in the Park last Sunday, I knew I HAD to check it out.

Swing Yoga is still fairly new to the Yoga Downtown Tampa Studio. Currently they only offer a handful classes and the only one that fit both mine and Valerie’s schedules was the Wednesday morning 6:00am class. That’s some EARLY yoga.

I was up ridiculously early and beat everyone to the studio by a good 15 minutes. Francine (the owner) arrive at 10 ’til 6 and was super sweet. She opened the studio, gave a little background on the class, and told us to get comfortable.

Laying on your back with your feet in a swing = uber-comfortable. :)

The studio was tiny, but well equipped to hold a 10 person swing yoga class. We ended up with a 3 person class, which was a nice surprise because it meant a lot of much needed one-on-one attention with Francine. Rumor has it the afternoon classes fill up fast, so I’m glad we went with a morning class for our first class.

The class began with an extended warm up that work our bodies up with some light movement and stretched. Francine incorporated the swing into some basic yoga stretches, which really deepened the intensity and the stretch of some of my favorite moves.

Then, we began to have a little fun.

This part of the class was my favorite part. We were upside down, right side up, twisting, turning, swinging, and just having a ball seeing what our bodies could do. My favorite part was the inverted crunches, I have a feeling those are going to hurt in the morning.

We ended the class by laying in the swing (hammock style) in shavasana. At which point I closed my eyes and dozed off for a second or two.

Swing yoga is not your average yoga class. The rush you feel from flipping upside down or mastering a new move, brings yoga to a whole new level. And the best part is, you’re having so much fun, you don’t realize you’re getting a good workout in at the same time. I was using muscles to pull myself up that I forgot even existed. It takes a lot of strength to hold yourself up for so long.

I will be back! :)

After yoga I headed straight home for breakfast.

Apple slices with almond butter

And piece of toast with blackberry jam

Sometimes the simplest breakfasts are the best. :)

Have you ever tried swing yoga before? Would you?

1 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 3, 2011 at 9:01 am

Wow! That looks like a blast. For some reason, even though I’m 6’1″, hanging from high things always gives me the willies…. Plus I’ve never seen anything like swing yoga in my area (yet!)

The little studio reminds me a lot of the room I took a pole dance class in, though, and that was absolutely fun (while also being an insane arm workout.)

2 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday August 3, 2011 at 9:04 am

Was the class tough?

3 Meghann August 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

I wouldn’t call it tough. Some of the moves were challenging, but nothing out of reach.

4 Gina @ running to the kitchen August 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

That looks super fun! I’ve never seen that around me but I would definitely try it out if I could find it!

5 Faith @ For the Health of It August 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

Gah that looks like so much fun! I have to ask – how much did it cost? It’s something I’d totally make the drive to Tampa to do!

6 Meghann August 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

It was $12.50 for a drop in class. It’s the same price as their regular yoga drop in rate.

7 Ali @ Ali Runs August 3, 2011 at 9:05 am

Swing Yoga looks like so much fun! I love workouts that don’t feel like workouts because you’re enjoying them so much. I’ll have to see if any studios around me offer this. It looks like a blast.

8 Heather @ Side of Sneakers August 3, 2011 at 9:07 am

This looks like SO much fun. Swing yoga has been on my list of things I want to try forever- I just can’t find anywhere to do it. And now I REALLY want to do it. ;)

9 Meghann August 3, 2011 at 9:22 am

Come to Tampa! You can do it here. :)

10 Kate (This Place is Now a Home) August 3, 2011 at 9:13 am

Whoa. That sounds amazing. Off to Google to see if there’s one near me! Do you think it would be ok for someone who has recently fallen off the yoga horse (aka hasn’t done yoga in awhile)?

11 Meghann August 3, 2011 at 9:23 am

I think so. It’s really customizable for any level. Luckily, I was in a class of swing yoga newbies, so we were all at square one.

12 Adrienna August 3, 2011 at 9:16 am

OMG, that looks like so much fun! Off to research Northeast Ohio – that may be too new/trendy for this region!

13 Marisa E August 3, 2011 at 9:17 am

That looks awesome!!!! Gotta see if I can find it in the Philly area.

14 Erica August 3, 2011 at 9:19 am

Wow, that looks awesome! There is nothing around here like that or I would be there for sure! It reminds me of being a little kid again with the swing. Very cool.

15 Hillary August 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

I tried swing yoga (my gym called it “Air Yoga”) once last year and really enjoyed it. I felt like I was kid back on the playground—just seeing what my body could (and couldn’t!) do. Plus, like you said, there’s the added benefit of really working those muscles you never even knew you had!

16 Lynna August 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

I would absolutely take that class…I would only hope that my sixty year old shoulders wouldn’t let me down.

17 Cait's Plate August 3, 2011 at 9:30 am

WHAT!! That looks like SO much fun!! I’ve never tried anything but mat yoga and pilates and I really think I need to change that!

18 Corey @ Learning Patience August 3, 2011 at 9:30 am

Wow – that looks like a blast!!! Awesome! xoxo from Trinidad

19 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

Wow, this looks amazing! I get a little tired of regular yoga, but swing yoga… now THAT is something I would do!

20 Tara August 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

I would love to try swing yoga!! I haven’t tried it yet because I am scared to see how much it costs in NYC. But this inspired me to see if I can find in cheap here.

21 Grace August 3, 2011 at 9:39 am

That looks like so much fun! I would do it in a heartbeat!

22 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 3, 2011 at 9:46 am

This yoga looks awesome! I’ve been addicted to Bikram lately, but need to try some new kinds

When I head back up to school in Orlando I will definitely check out that Aerial Silks class :)

23 Molly August 3, 2011 at 9:46 am

Ok now I seriously want to try swing yoga. It looks like a lot of fun.

24 Sarah @ May I Have Dessert? August 3, 2011 at 9:57 am

Haha! Swing yoga looks like so much fun! I’ve never even heard of it before. I’m going to see if they have anything like that here in Austin!

25 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life August 3, 2011 at 10:01 am

Wow that yoga class seems like so much fun and something I would love! I wonder if any studios near where I live have it!

26 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 3, 2011 at 10:01 am

That looks awesome!! I’m not a big yoga person, but I would definitely be willing to try this.

I have a friend who does Aerial gymnastics for a living – how fun would that be?

27 Katy Widrick August 3, 2011 at 10:08 am

Just one more reason for me to come to Tampa!

I saw a class like this pop up at Vixen, so I might need to go check it out…although you know how bad I was at aerial silks!

28 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 3, 2011 at 10:08 am

Wow this class looks awesome and like quite the workout!

29 Natalie @ southern fit foodie August 3, 2011 at 10:13 am

Oh my gosh – that looks amazing!!! I have GOT to find a class so I can try it out. Thanks for posting!

30 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 3, 2011 at 10:16 am

WHOA! That looks so cool. Never heard of it, but now I want to try it!! :)

31 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 3, 2011 at 10:19 am

It looks fun, but I am sooo clumsy! I have visions of falling on my head and getting a concussion :)

32 Shanna, Like Banana August 3, 2011 at 10:26 am

I’ve never even heard of it, but would love to try!

33 michelle August 3, 2011 at 10:30 am

I have never even done a yoga class before so swing yoga would be way out there for me. But it does look like a lot of fun. I hate the feeling of blood rushing to my head so the upside down moves might make me sick

34 Kelly August 3, 2011 at 10:34 am

What fitness level is this for? I have not done a lot of yoga, and am not in the best of shape (yet!). Would you suggest this for beginners or is it more of an intermediate/advanced workout? Do you have to know any yoga terminology moves to got to your first class?

35 Meghann August 3, 2011 at 10:56 am

This was a class for all fitness levels. It has nothing to do with endurance or cardio, but does require a little strength. She used very little yoga terminology and was really sweet going over the poses before we went into them.

36 Caley August 3, 2011 at 10:52 am

Yeay! I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I’m off to a class in about an hour and can’t wait!

37 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 3, 2011 at 10:53 am

That looks like SO much fun!! No, I’ve never tried it but I definitely would in a heartbeat!

38 Andrea August 3, 2011 at 10:56 am

That looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing!

39 Celia August 3, 2011 at 10:56 am

That looks like so much fun! I have to find a place in NYC to try it out!

40 Samantha August 3, 2011 at 10:57 am

Swing yoga looks like so much fun! Must find a place in NYC to scope out!!

41 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio August 3, 2011 at 11:03 am

OH MY GOODNESS… How fun!! This looks amazing.

42 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) August 3, 2011 at 11:13 am

This seems awesome! I know my typical yoga studio doesn’t offer it, but I would definitely be willing to try it!

43 allpointswhole August 3, 2011 at 11:17 am

Oh.my.word. Must find a local class …that looks amazing

44 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 3, 2011 at 11:20 am

Oh my gosh, that looks like so much fun! I would LOVE to try that someday!

45 Gwen August 3, 2011 at 11:25 am

That yoga class looks AMAZING! How fun!

46 Hilary August 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Swing yoga looks like tons of fun…but also kinda scares me, as I’m not a regular yoga-er. I’ve never tried it (my gym doesn’t even have the option).

47 Steph @ A Life without Ice Cream August 3, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Looks like so much fun! They have that at my gym but call it anti-gravity yoga :)

48 Lauren August 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Holy cow that looks like a blast!!!

49 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You do some crazy stuff girly.

50 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers August 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm

How fun!!! I’ve always wanted to try that!

51 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles August 3, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I haven’t yet tried swing yoga (or silks) but would love to! Looks like so much fun! I bet the stretching feels SO good! Great pics.

52 Christine (The Raw Project) August 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Yikes, 6AM would be too early for me! :-) But it looks like a great class, I need to find swing yoga in this area.

53 Lauren August 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm

That looks incredibly fun! You definitely piqued my interest in swing yoga – I must see if any studios in New York offer this!

54 Lauren August 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm

PS – I really admire how many new classes you try. I love reading about your exercise experiences – they really run the gamut!

55 Jane @ Jane's addictions August 3, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Dude, you are crazy flexible! The upside split is very impressive :) 6am is the best time to practice yoga just as the sun comes up. It’ll re-energize you for the rest of the day.

56 Dina @ DinaRuns August 3, 2011 at 1:08 pm

That looks like so much fun! Living in the Orlando area, I’ve been thinking about getting to the Orlando Aerial Arts to try it ever since you posted about it.

Now this cements it, will be begging friends to see who is up for it.

57 Meghann August 3, 2011 at 1:26 pm

You should go!! It’s sooooo much fun!! I want to go back so badly!

58 Dina August 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I have already convinced my friend we have to go next week. Am really excited!

59 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) August 3, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Holy cow- that is intense! I used to see ads for that all over NYC when I was living there.

60 Sam @ Mom At The Barre August 3, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I have taken a similar class in NYC-it’s called Anti-gravity yoga. I did not look quite as graceful as you though! I found it to be challenging! My arms were so sore the next day. I did feel a little ‘Cirque-du Soleil’ while I was doing it though, so that made it fun!

61 Cate @ CKinCA August 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm

One of the girls at work was JUST talking about this. I’m going to have to investigate and see if one is in Sacramento.

62 Carissa August 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm

That looks WAY fun! I need to be motivated to drive to yoga/silk places…but once I’m home I’m such a homebody that I usually don’t want to venture back out! They look os fun though…

63 erica August 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm

i don’t know if my upper body is strong enough for that, but it looks like so much fun!!!

64 Jessica August 3, 2011 at 5:02 pm

OMG, that looks like so much fun! And a pretty tough workout. :)

65 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 3, 2011 at 5:09 pm

That looks so cool and intersting! What a unique class! :-) xyx

66 Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal August 3, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I had heard about swing yoga before, but it was at CRUNCH gym, and considering the closest location (to me) is ATL and a 5 hour drive…well, not a possibility. But Tampa is more do-able!

67 Cara Barone August 3, 2011 at 9:17 pm

This looks amazing. You’ll have to let us know if you’re sore tomorrow!!

68 Erica @AMPlified Culture August 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Laura (my counterpart at AMPlified Culture) and I have been wanting to try anti gravity yoga for awhile now but just haven’t had a chance! After looking at your photos I am itching to do it ASAP! This studio seems to have a great vibe. Hopefully wherever we go in Orlando,it will be just as fun!