An Afternoon Ride

by Meghann on August 3, 2011

Oh, Blue. Why are you constantly making me want to throw you into a wall?

Let’s see.

I realized I had two flats.

I took my two tires off and attempted to fix my flats.

Three days (and three attempts) later my tires were fixed.

All gravy from here, right?

Almost.

This is where I attempt to put the rear tire back on and realize it’s a little more complicated then the front tire.

Fail.

Those gears were a jigsaw puzzle in my mind. I fussed with the tire for a few minutes, watched a YouTube Video, and tweeted my pain before I flagged down a lone cyclist and begged for help. When in doubt, ask a complete stranger and hope for the best. πŸ™‚

The cyclists was awesome! He flipped my bike upside down and had my rear tire on in a matter of seconds. Strangers rock!

Unfortunately, when he put the tire on he also noticed that my rear break was off centered. I need to add that to my list of things to fix. is it just me of does bike maintenance never end? πŸ™‚

IMG_0400.jpg

Even with the off centered brake, Blue was still good to go for an afternoon ride. I hopped on and rocked out 15 miles. Tires felt great (minus the whole break problem).

Rewinding to lunch…

Left over mashed sweet potato + black beans + cheese over sweet potato chips = a new favorite. Let’s call this combo ‘Orange & Black Nachos’

Pre-bike snack was a homemade trailmix of shredded mini wheat, dried apple, and cocoa almonds.

Dinner was on the dull side.

I wasn’t craving anything in particular, so I just roasted up some Okra Fries and Tempeh Tenders (tempeh cut into tender shapes and seasoned with seasoning salt) for dinner.

With a side of grapes.

Attune chocolate bar for dessert!

Can you believe Derek had never seen How I Met Your Mother?!?!?!?! It’s only the BEST SHOW ever! We added the whole series to our Netflix queue and are starting with Disc 1 tonight. It’s going to be legend – wait for it – dary! πŸ™‚

1 Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) August 3, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I made okra fries for the first time ever this week and now TOTALLY understand the obsession. So healthy, so delicious, so cheap, so easy — I’m in love and it’s abundant at the farmer’s market!

2 delia August 3, 2011 at 10:23 pm

HIMYM is awesome!

3 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles August 3, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I’ve never seen How I Met Your Mother – but I’ve heard SUCH great things about it! I should start watching…wonder if it’s available through Netflix streaming. You just got the physical disc, right?
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Snow & Summer

4 Army Amy* August 3, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Your black and orange nachos look so good! I love all things black bean related so count me in on that!*
Army Amy* recently posted..What do I do now?

5 Kristen @ The Concrete Runner August 3, 2011 at 10:37 pm

OMG, I hope Derek loves HIMYM as much as my hubs + I do! We just started watching it about a year ago and it has quickly become my favorite show on television! I think it’s very relate-able for couples our age. Glad you got the bike fixed!
Kristen @ The Concrete Runner recently posted..silky rewards

6 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 3, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Wow. Blue’s not making riding easy for you!! Thank goodness for the kindness (and knowledge!) stome strangers had. Sorry to say, if I had run into you and saw your bike like that, all I would have been able to say was that there’d be no way you could ride like that. Good thing you found someone that actually knew what he was doing, though. πŸ˜‰
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..What shoe runs you?

7 michelle August 3, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I’ve never seen that show either! I’ve heard good things but I have so many shows I’m already addicted to and don’t think I need to add another one.
michelle recently posted..The Long Run

8 Cat August 3, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Bike stuff can be frustrating, but the issues seem to come in waves…sort of like cars and stuff. But it’s worth it! I wouldn’t give my bike up for the world! Also, upgrading your bike (if you continue to cycle heavily) wouldn’t be a bad idea…says that girl that just bought her first carbon frame bike! πŸ˜‰

9 Cait's Plate August 3, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Dinner doesn’t look dull to me at all. Those tempeh tenders look awesome. And MAN. This whole bike this is really making me re-think using mine more often! Haha. At least that stranger was nice!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Picture It.

10 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs August 3, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Wait — what? First Katy and now Derek? I think I might actually like HIMYM MORE than Friends. Hope he likes it! (but really, what’s not to like?)

Sorry about Blue. I probably would have thrown the bike. You’re far more patient than me.
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Boston Vacation – Day 3 (Wedding Day!) Part 1

11 Lindsey August 3, 2011 at 10:58 pm

What?! Really, he has not seen that show?! It is a favorite of mine!
Lindsey recently posted..A Look Back

12 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 3, 2011 at 11:01 pm

It’s so nice when complete strangers are nice and helpful! I always assume people will be mean and rude, I guess it’s the pessimist in me!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Collard green & goat cheese frittata

13 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler August 3, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I can’t believe he’s never seen it! It’s hilarious!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..The Story of the Magic Bullet

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 3, 2011 at 11:39 pm

haha. I like your idea of a great dinner whipped up fast!!!

And yeah, that is why I hate cycling…but MUST do it for tri’s. hah
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Emotional Eater

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 4, 2011 at 12:32 am

Strangers can be so helpful- I popped a chain on my bike and started pushing it home, but some random guy offered to fix it! It made my day πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..WIAW- Pudding for Breakfast

16 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 4, 2011 at 5:05 am

I’ve never seen How I Met Your Mother either πŸ™ I know I know! I’ve been scolded for it before
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Lentil Stuffed Pepper for One

17 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 4, 2011 at 6:31 am

I love NPH! Watching shows on Netflix is so awesome because you can just blaze through them. I love not having to wait in between episodes.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Lunch break at Urban Flats

18 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 4, 2011 at 7:24 am

Your tempeh looks delicious!
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..WIAW VII

19 Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 4, 2011 at 8:24 am

Sometimes simple meals really hit the spot πŸ™‚ Dude, that must be so frustrating battling with Blue the bike, lol! πŸ˜› Much respect for your persistence. Sounds like a lovely afternoon, in spite of the tyre hassles! Take care! <3 xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..music is my therapy

20 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 4, 2011 at 8:25 am

Did you try out your new suit on Blue? How did it feel? I love “How I met your mother”. It’s a modern version of friends. Sadly, the seasons are pretty short and we end up burning through one in a weekend. Can’t wait for the newest one to come out onf DVD this Oct.
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Did someone call for a doctor?

21 Meghann August 4, 2011 at 10:02 am

Not yet. I’m testing it on my long ride on Friday.

22 Sarah August 4, 2011 at 8:31 am

Bike trouble is the worst.. but how i met your mother is the best show ever!!
Sarah recently posted..Update me!

23 Morgan August 4, 2011 at 8:38 am

I love HIMYM! My bf isn’t the biggest fan but he watches it anyways and even laughs on occassion. (I think he does secretly like it but since he said for so long that he didn’t he’s afraid to change that vote now :o)) Anyways if you like that show you should try The Big Bang Theory! 10x better than HIMYM, I promise. Enjoy!
Morgan recently posted..Boredom & Blogging

24 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count August 4, 2011 at 9:00 am

Haha. I recently got hooked on that show. It is hilarious. Love the New Adventures of Old Christine too…both crack me up!
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Hi, My name is Taylor and I have an addiction…

25 Hillary August 4, 2011 at 9:13 am

I’ve only seen one or two episodes of HIMYM. Apparently I need to get on that?
Hillary recently posted..Better Than A Barista

26 Mimi August 4, 2011 at 9:35 am

I just started watching How I Met Your Mother this summer and am obsessed! My husband and I are recording the series on DVR and watch an episode or two every day!

Sorry about the bike problems. I hope they’re almost behind you!

27 Jessica August 4, 2011 at 9:38 am

I think it’s actually easier to get the rear wheel on with the bike rightside up. If you get the rear derailleur positioned correctly, the wheel usually just slips right into place. Watch the youtube videos a couple more times – it gets easier the more you do it.

Also, fixing brakes is pretty easy, too. They move left and right like a cantilever, and you should be able to find a bolt that adjusts the give on that motion.

I think bike maintenance is so rewarding! It’s awesome to be able to fix things (and not have to pay the guys at the bike shop to do them!)

28 Amanda August 4, 2011 at 9:54 am

SUIT UP!

29 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 4, 2011 at 10:53 am

Whoah…. HIMYM is legen (wait for it…………………………………………) DARY!!

I met Jason Segel about a year ago on Bourbon Street in NOLA, and it may have been the crowning achievement of my life.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Everyone’s in Crisis!! Better do a Beer Review…

30 Lauren August 4, 2011 at 11:24 am

Bike maintenance seriously does never end. I had an insane amount of problems with my last road bike (it was a Specialized – a brand I typically love). I had so many problems, in fact, that I sucked it up and bought a lightly used Trek women’s road bike off Craigslist. Interestingly, I’ve had virtually no problems with this one!

I’m definitely not extremely adept at dealing with bike issues on my own. I can replace a tire, etc., but I don’t feel very confident about working out brake issues (and anything highly mechanical/technical) on my own. I take those concerns to a very good local bike shop – they’re incredibly helpful, never condescending, and always reasonably priced.
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

31 Shannon August 4, 2011 at 11:32 am

I looooove how i met your mother! My husband and I have watched every single episode and then repeat them pretty much everyday. It is awesome.

32 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm

That show was pretty funny but it ended up being the same ole thing. I don’t like it very much now. I love Modern Family though. That show is absolutely hilarious.
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..7 Links

33 Hillary August 4, 2011 at 2:29 pm

WHATTT?! He’s never seen HIMYM?! that is tragic. Way to turn things around. My favorite line is:

Lawyered!

34 Cynthia August 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I LOVE the show How I Met Your Mother. I still remember the first episode I saw. It was three years ago on a long flight to London f0r my honeymoon. I laughed so hard that I knew I had to keep watching when we got back home. I made my husband start watching it and luckily, he became addicted to it as well. Best show ever!

35 Ali @ Ali Runs August 5, 2011 at 7:59 am

That’s awesome that the cyclist stopped to help! I think I would have been quicker to give up, rather than ask a stranger. You go girl πŸ˜‰
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..3rd Half Marathon