Tire Changing Fail Part II

by Meghann on August 2, 2011

Tire Changing: Round II

This time I brought in the big guns

AKA Courtney ‘Triathlete Superstar’

Courtney told me she used to have dates with her ex-boyfriend where they would watch tv and practice changing flat tires. I wonder how Derek would feel if I recommended that concept for our next date night. πŸ˜‰

Courtney was amazing. She had the tire off and back on in no time and even explained each step along the way. After watching her, I was able to do the rear tire all on my own. Score!

Unfortunately, we started running into problems.

The tire was bubbling at the valve and we had no idea why. Courtney took the tire on and off, tested out the tube, and worked her way around a pinch, but it was still bubbling. She concluded that there might be a problem with the valve size and I should take it to the bike store for a professional opinion.

In other words, we were stuck and not sure what to do next. Oh well.

Tire Changing: Round II was a bust.

Here’s hoping Round III is a success!

The plan was to fix the tire and take off on the bike for a brick workout, but the failed fix prevented that from happening. Instead I took off for just the run portion of the brick. 5.5 easy miles on the trail and I was ready to call it a day.

I headed home and made a big bowl of cereal for breakfast.

• 1/2 cup Mini Shredded Wheats
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Golden Goodness
  • 1/2 cup Erewhon Berry Crispies
  • Lemon Chobani
  • Strawberries

Time to start my day. πŸ™‚

1 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 2, 2011 at 10:05 am

Wow, I wouldn’t even know where to start with changing a bike tire!! Glad you had Courtney the pro there to help! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..5 Goals for August

2 The Teenage Taste August 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

Glad you finally got the tired changed! I can never change my bike tires…heck I can’t even put air in them without something going wrong!
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Roasted Banana Walnut Bread

3 Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com August 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

I “know” how to change a tire…but have never been able to get the tire back onto the rim once I have the new tube in. I get stuck with about 6 inches that I can’t muscle back onto the rim myself & always cave in & ask my husband to get it on the rest of the way. I think Courtney’s date night idea is just what I need to get myself over that hurdle!
Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com recently posted..Race Recap: Siesta Beach Triathlon

4 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday August 2, 2011 at 10:10 am

Tire change on a bike sounds tough. Much tougher than changing a car tire– that I have MUCH more experience with.

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 2, 2011 at 10:19 am

That tire just does NOT want to be changed πŸ˜‰
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Cherry coconut chocolate chip raw dough balls

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

Haha don’t worry girl– the tire will eventually be defeated!
Have a good day
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Wet Running Fail

7 Bee Goes Bananas August 2, 2011 at 10:33 am

That sounds so frustrating! I’m definitely not the handyman in my house. The cereal looks good though!!!
Bee Goes Bananas recently posted..Nice to Meet You, Sally!

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 2, 2011 at 10:39 am

at least you got a good run in!! πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Gym Vocabulary

9 Hope August 2, 2011 at 10:46 am

Glad to hear that you finally got the tire changed! Breakfast look yummy! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..The Almost Dinner Disaster…

10 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food August 2, 2011 at 11:15 am

What a pain! I think I would give up on that pretty quickly. hehe
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..GIVEAWAY – Vermont Peanut Butter

11 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 2, 2011 at 11:16 am

Sorry about the bike tire! Third time’s a charm, right?
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Apple chicken sausage and brown rice

12 Meghann August 2, 2011 at 11:42 am

Fingers crossed on that!

13 Holly August 2, 2011 at 11:19 am

flat tires petrify me—i’ve been shown how to change them, but i don’t think i’d be successful in the heat of the moment. hope you get it worked out easily.
Holly recently posted..Easy Breezy

14 Courtney W August 2, 2011 at 11:20 am

Haha! I so wish this were a success story. Let’s make sure there’s some major praying you don’t get another flat for 2 more years πŸ™‚
Courtney W recently posted..Sprint Triathlon 8 Week Swim Plan

15 Meghann August 2, 2011 at 11:43 am

Watch – I’ll get one next week!

16 Corey @ Learning Patience August 2, 2011 at 11:20 am

Changing bike tires is not an easy job – πŸ™ Yummy looking breakfast though! xoxo from Trinidad — If you feel like letting a little truth out – hop on over today
Corey @ Learning Patience recently posted..Truthful Tuesday – Let Your Truth Out

17 Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 2, 2011 at 11:23 am

seeing as how i broke down in tears just refilling my son’s bike’s tires. Well done, you!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..A Triumphant Return and the treadmill patrolmen.

18 Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs August 2, 2011 at 11:29 am

I totally thought of you last night when I walked out of my house and my upstairs neighbors were doing bike maintenance. At least you have a bike, that makes you leaps and bounds ahead of me πŸ™‚

19 Corrie Anne August 2, 2011 at 11:31 am

Changing tires is IMPRESSIVE. Glad you got it all together! πŸ™‚
Corrie Anne recently posted..Apron Fashion Show

20 Hillary August 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Ugh. How frustrating. Hopefully the bike store can get you set up and you won’t have to deal with this again!
Hillary recently posted..Really Simple Lentils

21 Allie August 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I think the one reason I don’t bike very often is because I am totally scared of having to change my tire!
Allie recently posted..Weekly training plan

22 Army Amy* August 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Bikes are so intimidating to me for this reason. Good luck getting the tire changed!*
Army Amy* recently posted..4Runner 4You

23 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) August 2, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Oh no! That is crazy! Hopefully the bike store people can figure out what the issue is!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Month in Review: July 2011

24 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler August 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I love all of the strawberries in your bowl!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Giving Green a Try

25 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) August 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm

What a pain! It’s times like that I’m glad I still live at home, because my dad always fixes my bike πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Ice Cream!

26 Cait's Plate August 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Oh man – I cant’ believe the tire has still bested you!! Fingers crossed for round three πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Photo Apps

27 Ali @ Ali Runs August 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I can’t believe that tire is such a huge hassle. I would think the same thing you originally did, “If people can do this on the side of the road during a triathlon, I should be able to do it no problem.” At least you’re getting good practice!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Happy Pi Run

28 Mary August 2, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Third time will be a charm!
Mary recently posted..Why my Garmin is my Best Friend… and my Arch Nemesis

29 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles August 2, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I SO need to learn to change my own flats. I find it so intimidating and overwhelming, but surely it can’t be that bad. Way to keep at it!
Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles recently posted..State of Jefferson Mystery Tour Part 1

30 Kim Foster, MD August 2, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Wish I could help you out, Meghann, but my date nights have definitely not involved flat-tire practice, sadly. Fingers crossed for ya!
Kim Foster, MD recently posted..Smart Cookie: 8 Ways to Boost Your Brain Power