Tire Changing Fail

by Meghann on August 1, 2011

Changing a tire on a bike is NOT as easy as it looks.

Let’s just say there were a couple of times were I came ‘this close’ to throwing my bike against the wall. Actually, there were MULTIPLE times where that happened. :/

Pre-tire changing snack.

(Yum)

I knew changing my first bicycle tire would be scary, but I figured if a person on the side of the road can do it in the middle of a triathlon, then I could do it in the comfort of my own home. Pshhh…. I knew nothing.

I stopped at the bicycle store this afternoon to pick up all the supplies I would need and got to work.

I had even brought the tire inside to ensure I picked up the right size tube.

YouTube was the teacher

and I was it’s faithful student.

I was able to pry the initial tube off without a problem

IMG_0281.jpg

Then things got tricky

Somehow I ended up twisting the tire onto itself

And YouTube got kicked to the curb

I frantically started sending Courtney photos of my progress with the words ‘I have no idea what I’m doing’ attached to them. Somehow, I was able to guilt her into talking to me for 35 minutes trying to figure out where I went wrong.

With her help I was able to get the tube around the rim, but eventually ended up here.

Fail

At this point I walked away for a solid 15 minutes – just to cool my head off. Courtney eventually called back and suggested I pump the tube up before putting it on the rim.

That almost worked.

Fail. 🙁

At this point it had been 2 hours since I started and still had no dice with the tire. Instead of throwing the tire into middle of the interstate (the thought had crossed my mind..) Courtney suggested meeting early tomorrow morning, so she could see exactly where I had gone wrong. Fine by me, I was more than ready to call it a night anyways.

After that, beer was needed.

Good beer was needed.

And comfort food.

Hummus + Cheese + Spinach Quesadilla

with roasted carrot fries.

And ice cream. Ice cream was needed too.

Now, sleep is needed. One beer and I’m already feeling it. Light weight.

Hopefully, we’ll get this tire thing all situated in the morning. Lord help me if I get a flat on the road after this. Yikes!

1 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers August 1, 2011 at 9:24 pm

MEGHANN!! That IS a great beer!

Sounds incredibly frustrating, I’m glad you had the Midas Touch waiting for you, and that tasty ‘dilla!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Milltown & Great Divide Brewing’s Hercules Double IPA

2 Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. August 1, 2011 at 9:25 pm

What would you do without Courtney? 😉
Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. recently posted..Fresh Thymes

3 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm

haha I owe Courtney my first born child!

4 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories August 1, 2011 at 9:25 pm

🙁 We need to change my husband’s bike tire. I am now much less confident about our ability to DIY–especially if you+Youtube couldn’t! Thanks for the warning, at least. 🙂
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #33: Sunny Seed Accessories

5 Cait's Plate August 1, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Wow I’m super impressed with your dedication! I would’ve given up 5 minutes in 🙂 That beer was well deserved!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Pot Belly

6 Jane @ Jane's Addictions August 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I applaud you for taking on the tire changing challenge. What was on your pre-start snack? I see lots of berries on some yummy crust.
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Genie in a bottle

7 Meghann August 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm

It’s a slice of fruit pizza Courtney and I made on Saturday http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/07/30/fruit-pizza/

8 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce August 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Love the fruit pizza! ah!

9 Hillary August 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Oy. You just reminded me why I’m afraid to bike. Good luck tomorrow!
Hillary recently posted..Really Simple Lentils

10 Kath August 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

matt also spent a good 30 minutes trying to change my tube once. Total fail. The guy at the store did it in 30 seconds – and his trick was inflating it 85% first. I was going to suggest that until I saw that you did!
Kath recently posted..Against The Wind

11 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 1, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Yikes. My husband changed his bike tire 45 seconds before our tri started–somehow all the air when’pppppssshhhh’ right before we began…he is amazing and lapped most everyone! Maybe I can pick up a trick or two from him? hah.

Your dinner looks FAB!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Sweets + Sweat

12 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food August 1, 2011 at 9:40 pm

definitely be careful tomorrow because tire changing is the number 1 way to get a flat!

13 ShirtlessBen August 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Are you sure that the tire is the right size. It almost looks like it to big? Good luck It isnt as easy as it looks huh?

14 Meghan August 1, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I am always amazed when I see a cyclist pulled off the trail changing their flat as I run by! Beer is always a good answer, though 🙂
Meghan recently posted..Trading In My Work Clothes

15 Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler August 1, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Sorry it was harder than you originally thought. Good luck getting it all figured out!
Matteson @ Healthy High Schooler recently posted..Today I Don’t Feel Like Doin’ Anything…

16 Mary August 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I had HB show me how to change the tires on my bike. I dont know what I’d do though if I was out on my own. i feel like all of the sudden everything would fly right out of my head and I’d be clueless…
Mary recently posted..Weight Loss Starting Points

17 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups August 1, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Haha I’m a lightweight too. But you deserve that beer!

18 Brittney August 1, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I would never even attempt to change my bike tire! Haha this is totally off topic, I have been going back and forth on whether or not to get my nose pierced, and I remembered reading that you had one before. Creeping through your old post def made up my mind. I got it done today 🙂

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 1, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I think I would’ve resorted to the beer about an hour before you did. It’s funny how changing a bike tire seems way harder than a car tire!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sunday to-do’s + garbage bread

20 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) August 1, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Ohhhh, that seems so frustrating! You definitely deserve a beer (or two) after that! Hope you get it figured out tomorrow!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Month in Review: July 2011

21 Katherine August 1, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thankfully, I have never had to change a bike tire.
Katherine recently posted..Back Away Slowly Men

22 Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) August 1, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I’ve never changed a bike tire before…looks like a huge pain! I did change a car tire when I was 16 (my dad made me learn how). Not sure I could do that now either.
Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) recently posted..146.4…Power Naps, PF Changs and Pancakes

23 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me August 1, 2011 at 11:00 pm

At least you tried! I would’ve been frustrated too!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..August Goals

24 Sally Kate August 1, 2011 at 11:00 pm

i cant even change a tire on my car. while following the instructions. thank god i’ve always had a knight in shining armor near by. that fruit pizza looks amazing!!
Sally Kate recently posted..i have a confession.

25 Meg August 1, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Eek! I’m thinking that’s what I have to do to mine and I’m not looking forward to it. I never thought of using YouTube, although now I’m thinking I can cross that off the list anyway. Hope you get it worked out!

26 Liz @ iheartvegetables August 1, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Haha aww I’m sorry about your tire changing disaster! That sounds stressful and complicated!! I always made my dad help me 😉

27 Erica @ TheSqueezeBlog August 2, 2011 at 12:11 am

Roasted Carrot Fries?!? These sounds so good! Any tricks to making these or do you just peel, cut and pop in the over with some salt and pepper?
Erica @ TheSqueezeBlog recently posted..Back to reality

28 Meghann August 2, 2011 at 10:03 am

I just peel the carrots, cut them to fry shape, and roasted them for 15 minutes at 425.

29 Mariel August 2, 2011 at 12:39 am

Congrats to you for trying! I’m pretty sure I would have given up after about 5 minutes!! Keep us updated! 🙂

30 Will Phillips (is Becoming) August 2, 2011 at 3:30 am

So… am I the only one thinking of Macgyver and duct tape right about now??

I recently (re)started health and weight loss blogging, and found this blog through link and comment surfing through some others. Kudos to you, Meghann, for your weight loss success and what seems to be a total freaking transformation. Half Ironman, for real? Nice.

Anyway, back to the topic. Tires. And beer. The beer was a smart choice! Haha.
Will Phillips (is Becoming) recently posted..Defeating Defeatism

31 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 2, 2011 at 5:28 am

I’m sorry you had trouble!
If it makes you feel any better, I probably would’ve given up after 15 minutes. You got a solid 2 hours in haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Chicken Noodle Soup for the Sick Boyfriend’s Soul

32 Lauren August 2, 2011 at 6:50 am

Thank God for YouTube. And beer. 🙂
Lauren recently posted..My Month of Insanity Begins

33 Sarah August 2, 2011 at 7:27 am

Good luck with your bike tire today! Ice cream is always needed after being frustrated for awhile. Great way to cool down 🙂
Sarah recently posted..Kind of a Big Deal

34 Hope August 2, 2011 at 8:08 am

Good job for trying. I probably would have given up a lot quicker than you did! Beer is always a good reward! 🙂 Good luck getting the tire fixed today.
Hope recently posted..The Almost Dinner Disaster…

35 Jessica August 2, 2011 at 9:50 am

First of all, you do have the wrong size tubes.

You want to inflate the tube SLIGHTLY before you try to wrench the tire over it (I usually put about 20-30psi in there).
Jessica recently posted..New Theme: Blogum

36 Meghann August 2, 2011 at 10:04 am

I did inflate the tire slightly the second time I tried it, but I was putting the tube in the rim instead of in the tire, that’s where I went wrong.

37 Tess August 4, 2011 at 9:32 am

Sorry for the late comment, I’ve been out of town & I’m just catching up on blogs, but this post made me giggle. My dad’s been really into cycling my whole life, but my mom always tells a story of when he’d just started getting serious with the sport. (He and my mom had been dating for a few months at that point.) Apparently he was trying to change his bike tire for the first time and ended up getting so frustrated that he went and got some heavy-duty scissors and started shredding the tube with them. My dad’s a pretty level-headed guy most of the time, and this was the first time my mom ever saw him lose his temper…she said she was thinking, “what have I gotten myself into?” But apparently changing bike tires can provoke some serious anxiety and frustration for lots of people! If it makes you feel any better, he can do it in the blink of an eye now. 🙂 Glad to read that you got things taken care of!

38 Meghann August 4, 2011 at 10:05 am

haha great story. If I had scissors near me, I probably would have done the same thing.