Egg Topped Portobello Cap Pizzas

by Meghann on July 29, 2011

Today’s lunch was one of those experiments that could have gone really good or really bad. Luckily, it ended up somewhere in between.

My inspiration was a mix between portobello pizzas and – my favorite – egg topped pizzas (yum πŸ™‚ ).

I started wit the portobello cap.

Which I grilled for a few minutes on the George Forman to soften it up a bit.

The cap was transferred from the George Foreman to a pan.

Then (this is where the egg topped pizza comes into play) I broke an egg directly on top of the portobello

And put it under the broiler.

This is where it goes from ‘this could work’ to ‘crap, I messed up.’ My first mistake was placing it under the broiler and not in a 450 degree oven – duh Meghann! The broiler wasn’t cooking the whole egg, instead it was burning the top layer of the egg and leaving the runny bottom, well, runny.

I walked away and came back to this

Portobello fail. πŸ™

No worries. I covered it with cheese and salsa, served it on top of a bed of spinach and ate it anyways.

Originally i was going to do marinara sauce, but the salsa just seemed to call out at me when I opened the fridge.

I really feared this was not going to taste right, but surprisingly all the flavors came together in the end. The egg wasn’t rubbery (as I was expecting) and the portobello cut like butter. All-in-all I would call the idea a winner still, the execution just needs some work. πŸ˜‰

On the side I had a couple of pretzels with mustard to round out the meal.

Have you ever made something you thought wasn’t going to work, but ended up tasting good in the end?

1 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine July 29, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Not that I can think of. My fails usually sadly end up as fails. πŸ™‚ That’s a great idea with the portobello cap! Creative Meghann strikes again!

2 courtney (pancakes and postcards) July 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Answer to your question: pretty much everything that I cook. πŸ™‚ I’m glad it worked out, though! And everything’s better with an egg…
courtney (pancakes and postcards) recently posted..My Unconventional Road to the San Francisco Marathon

3 Lyndsi @ Lyndsi and David July 29, 2011 at 5:22 pm

No – I usually only try recipes I know will be good (i.e. not “creative”) and sometimes those fail, too — like when I tried to make ravioli and the recipe was wrong.

4 michelle July 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm

A lot of what my husband cooks up ends up that way. I start off thinking “what are you doing….” or “are you sure that’s going to taste good….” and he just nods and assures me he knows what he’s doing. 9 times out of 10 he’s right
michelle recently posted..Memorable Life Experiences

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 29, 2011 at 5:32 pm

That’s a good idea for an egg based meal. I’ve seen baked eggs everywhere recently, I like this one a lot!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..The timed mile, 11 years later

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 29, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Haha I just attempted the same thing with a Portabella mushroom about 5 minutes ago! Except I used ricotta cheese and basil πŸ™‚ Delicious
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..How To: Tofu

7 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 29, 2011 at 5:54 pm

That looks great to me! πŸ™‚

I have recipes like that all the time! As well as others that I think are going to go great that dont! πŸ˜›

Have a great friday! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..New Running Personal Distance Record!

8 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 29, 2011 at 5:54 pm

All the time! I try to follow stuff through until the end, & give it a taste even if I’m pretty skeptical!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..These are a Few… Part 2!

9 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Yum! This looks perfect. I’m bookmarking it since Mike keeps asking for us to make our own pizzas and he happens to love portobellos!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..What’s pink, black, and neon all over?

10 gia July 29, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I love that you use a george foreman, I’ve always wanted to grill, and that may be a good option. As a single girl, I can’t rely on a guy doing it for me. πŸ™‚ Do you put burgers on there too? Does it give more of a grilled flavor than a skillet?

11 Julie @ There and Back Again July 29, 2011 at 6:17 pm

This honestly looks awesome. I really love your experimental cooking style! I never thought of grilling mushroom caps on the George Foreman (or GF rip-off, in my case!) – does that really work? It sounds like a great idea πŸ™‚
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Double Date

12 Jane @ Jane's Addictions July 29, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I’ve totally been in that camp. I tend to experiment a lot with recipes, and sometimes things turn out great and sometimes not so much. I find frittatas and salads to be a great way to rescue any disastrous cooking project.
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Get me to the Greek

13 Ali @ Ali Runs July 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Ahh recipe experiments are the best because you never know how they might turn out. I tend to be way too “bland” in the kitchen which can lead to some lackluster meals.
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Rainy Run

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Mine usually end up tasting OKAY, not perfect, if I am worried. Oh well!!

I wish I liked mushrooms…..
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Salad Ingredients

15 Hillary July 29, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Sometimes the best meals are the ones that are total experiments (and that you go into fully accepting that they might be crap). Way to be brave! An egg on top of a mushroom never would have occurred to me.
Hillary recently posted..A Weighty Topic

16 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 29, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I tried whipping up a buffalo chicken cordon bleu (as in with blue cheese and bacon stuffed in it) that had allllll the breading slide right off since the marinade left it too wet. However, the taste was on point and we just gently placed the breading bits on top as if nothing had happened.

crisis: averted.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..The 61 Hour Wedding Whirlwind Weekend: The Reception

17 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I think that’s really creative! Maybe next time you should put the portobello cap in an oven safe bowl so the egg doesn’t run out of it?
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..what i’m loving lately

18 Cait's Plate July 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Oh my gosh that is such a genius idea- I never really know what to do with portobellos but I really want to incorporate them more. I think this is an awesome way to go about it πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Oops, I Did it Again

19 Lauren July 29, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Genius idea!
Lauren recently posted..Road Side Fruit

20 BroccoliHut July 29, 2011 at 9:32 pm

These sound delicious! I just happen to have bought an extra portobello cap today (I’m using one for another recipe).
BroccoliHut recently posted..Nutrition Label Makeover

21 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery July 29, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Whoops! Sometimes I hate when things don’t quite how I imagined, but other times, it turns out even better because of the mistakes. The mushroom and egg combo still sounds delicious.
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..Cut up the banana and shake it all up

22 carly July 30, 2011 at 1:46 am

Keep on experimenting. You never know what you’ll get until you try it. I once made a crazy spaghetti concoction with tuna. It was delicous!
carly recently posted..My Irvine dentist