36 Miles on Two Wheels

by Meghann on July 29, 2011

Alright, enough with the drama and negativity. Let’s talk about something fun!

Like a new PDR! 36 miles baby!

Obviously this is a very serious blog. πŸ˜›

I <3 cycling.

If anything it’s something new and different and I enjoy that I can really only grow and improve on in this stage of training. After running multiple marathons – and an ultra-marathon – I felt I was beginning to take running a little too seriously. It was all about pace, time goals, and work. With cycling, I feel like it’s all back to the basics as I work on building up endurance. Every long ride from here until Augusta is a new PDR and that makes me happy. πŸ™‚

Helmet hair. Hawt.

I was up way too late last night responding to comments and wasted too much time this morning doing the same thing. I shoved an eggo with peanut butter and strawberries down my throat on the way out the door and was still late to meet Courtney at the trailhead.

Sorry Courtney!

The ride was a breeze. In my haste to get out the door, I did leave my gloves and Garmin at home, but Courtney was great company and informed me throughout that we were averaging 15 mph or so when ever I asked. Which was great! Right on track where I want to be right now. We did discuss adding in a mid-week short ride to work on sprints, so I’m hoping in a few weeks I’ll be averaging a little higher. Baby steps. πŸ™‚

Unfortunately riding 36 miles takes a. long. time. We finished just before 10:00am and my body was ready to eat.

I came home and made a very large bowl of smoothie to both satisfy my hunger and quench my thirst.

In the mix:

• Ice
  • Spinach
  • Peaches
  • Cherries
  • Whey Chocolate Protein Powder
  • Vanilla Soy Milk
  • Xanthum Gum
  • Chia Seeds
  • Chocolate Granola

Slurp. Slurp.

Alright, time to get back to work.

Happy Friday everyone!

1 Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 29, 2011 at 11:26 am

36 feet would be a new PDR for me. (well, I take that back. I rode A LOT as a kid.) WTG!!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..I married a Chinese guy because I like the food.

2 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 29, 2011 at 11:26 am

Congrats on your new PDR! (And on that amazing post-ride smoothie πŸ˜‰ )
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Chop Chop

3 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine July 29, 2011 at 11:33 am

Happy Friday to you Meghann. πŸ™‚ Great job on the ride!

4 Rae July 29, 2011 at 11:37 am

Excellent new PDR!
Rae recently posted..Desserts backwards

5 Army Amy* July 29, 2011 at 11:38 am

Yay for a new PDR! Since I’ve already run a marathon and have no plans to do an ultra, I’m jealous of people who get PDR’s. Maybe I need to take it to a new sport, like you.*
Army Amy* recently posted..Red Keen-wa

6 Meghann July 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

haha – it’s like a whole new world of PDRs πŸ™‚

7 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 29, 2011 at 11:46 am

Good job!!! That’s really awesome. We biked just 16 miles the other day and even that was exhausting!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..What’s pink, black, and neon all over?

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 29, 2011 at 11:51 am

YEAH! That is awesome! I hope one day to be able to ride that amount nice and smooth πŸ™‚ I am DOING a half ironman next year, NO questions asked. I am just going to take the plunge! Thanks for the motivation!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Salad Ingredients

9 allpointswhole July 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

Way to go! Not sure if you remember, but I began cycling to not take running so seriously and was injured the same day as you. I am 2 weeks post surgery and have 4 weeks before I can cycle again but just started running again slowly. Frustrating but a learning process

10 Meghann July 29, 2011 at 11:56 am

Why wouldn’t I remember?! Of course I remember! How could I forget my injured buddy. Of course you are way more bad ass than me because not only did you continue biking with a broken arm, but it took you practically the whole day to get it checked out. You are pretty bad ass.

11 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 29, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Woo that is awesome! Long bike rides are the best. They really help you sort some things out in your mind. I miss being able to take a morning bike ride. πŸ™‚
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #31: Sunny Seed Hot Chocolate

12 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Awesome job on the PDR! 36 miles is a long way!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..The timed mile, 11 years later

13 The Teenage Taste July 29, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Congrats on your farthest biking distance, Meghann! 36 miles is A LOT! You are awesome. πŸ™‚
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Blogcation

14 Hillary July 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I don’t even like DRIVING 36 miles. Well done, Meghann!
Hillary recently posted..A Weighty Topic

15 claire July 29, 2011 at 12:35 pm

wow, that is INCREDIBLE!! How many hours did it take you to ride that many miles?
claire recently posted..Five Things Friday

16 Meghann July 29, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I wish I knew! I didn’t have my garmin and don’t have a clean start and finish time. Maybe 2.5 hours?

17 claire July 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Thats great! My husband and I are going on a long bike ride this weekend so I was curious to know your timing!
claire recently posted..Five Things Friday

18 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 29, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I’m always late now because of blogging. ::sigh::
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..what i’m loving lately

19 Laura @ Backstage Pass July 29, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Happy Friday to you too! Congrats on the new PDR. The tone of this post is hilarious… from the shoving the bagel down your throat to the smoothie self-portrait. You’re a funny gal!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Recap: Challenge Nation Milwaukee Urban Scavenger Race

20 claire July 29, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Oh! and I just finished reading through all of those comments and I must say, that 36 mile bike ride must have felt great to relieve any pent up frustration from them all!
claire recently posted..Five Things Friday

21 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery July 29, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Silly faces like that are what keep me coming back. I love the quirkiness. <3

22 Ali @ Ali Runs July 29, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Congrats on your new PDR! It’s always a great feeling πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Rainy Run

23 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce July 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Congrats on the PR!! πŸ™‚
Amazing smoothie bowl. ahhhh looks so refreshing!

24 Shannon @ Mon Amour July 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Congrats on a new PDR! 36 miles is awesome!
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Achieving Greatness

25 Amanda Russell July 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Mmmmmm smoothie bowl. We’ve all had those days where you just throw everything into a bowl. Glad you made it healthy though!

-Amanda Russell

26 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 29, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Grats on the long bike ride. Your breakfast looked really great!

It is Friday and I agree – time to embrace the fun!
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..You had me at pasta and bacon

27 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes July 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Congrats on your new PB! 36 miles is major!!! πŸ™‚
Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes recently posted..Friday Feature: It’s all about strength

28 Cait's Plate July 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I was craving that exact same bowl for lunch but ended up opting for a salad and fruit at the last minute. It is HOT outside. I love that picture of drinking your smoothie. Haha. Amazing.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Driving Me Very (Crazy)

29 Jane @ Jane's Addictions July 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Do you eat your smoothies with a spoon like soup? I don’t see how you’d get cereal topping through the straw πŸ™‚
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Get me to the Greek

30 TheHungeredOne@MovingandMunching July 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Great job! Biking feels SO great and I am always super hungry after, too! πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to hear your next PDR! Keep it up!

31 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm

That smoothie bowl looks sooo good! And much deserved after that ride! πŸ™‚
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Go-to Chicken Recipe.

32 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 29, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Wow, amazing, congratulations! πŸ˜€ Yum food, wicked workout, even more awesome attitide = woop! xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..a friday full of fun and fantastic food!

33 M July 29, 2011 at 4:23 pm

your blog has become so self-righteous. ME ME ME.. look how many vacations i can take, how many races i can run, how many hours i train (because i dont work). it has turned me off completely. deleting from google reader…

34 Meghann July 29, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I’m sorry if you feel this way, but this is a blog about my life. I blog about my training, my family, my vacations, my races, and my life. If you’re tired of reading about it then I completely understand why you would like to remove my blog from your reader. And I know you don’t see it, but I do work. Ask Derek – his girlfriend is a workaholic who is permanently attached to her laptop. Thankfully he respects how ambitious I am and loves me anyways, even when I have to work through the weekends. πŸ™‚

35 Amy July 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Sorry, but what part of “one girl’s journey through food and running” do you not understand–does it have to be a bad journey to make it unselfish?

36 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 29, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Congrats on the PDR, Meghann!!

My dad is a super serious biker man, and he regularly does 70+ mile rides. I’m always blown away because that seems like a long distance, even for a drive. well done!!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..The 61 Hour Wedding Whirlwind Weekend: The Reception

37 Amy July 29, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I confess, i was just skimming instead of reading and thought you wrote “i shoved my ego down my throat” HA! I guess i better pay a bit more attention next time πŸ™‚

38 Tess July 29, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Out of curiosity, how much xanthum gum do you put into your smoothies? I have a hard time getting the amount right!

39 Meghann July 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm

a very tiny teaspoon. a little goes a long way. πŸ™‚

40 Jenny July 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Congrats on your new PDR! I’m currently training for my second marathon and while I love running, your blog has piqued my interest in cycling! In my free time (hah!) I’d like to start researching the world of cycling (and possibly swimming too) but won’t be making a commitment until after my fall marathon. Do you have any links handy that could get me started in the right direction?
Jenny recently posted..The Importance of Fueling

41 Jenny July 29, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Also- I suppose I should mention that I live in the Tampa Bay area also, so local links are welcome. πŸ™‚
Jenny recently posted..The Importance of Fueling

42 Erica July 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm

whoop! Sounds like a great ride! J and I are thinking about getting bikes post baby. I think it will be a great new challenge/change up for me! That smoothie bowl looks delicious. And you are hilarious πŸ™‚ Have a great weekend!
Erica recently posted..TJs Opening!!! & Summer Turkey Chili

43 Wendi @ A Southern Yogi July 29, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I was just talking about that today. I mean, I am running my first marathon later this year, but it’s not new. I have just started swimming/biking and i LOVE both of them. Everything is new and I have no expectations so I’m just enjoying them!
Wendi @ A Southern Yogi recently posted..Follow Friday…

44 Alice D. July 29, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I can’t believe you mixed in spinach with that. I’m really curious how that tastes. It can’t taste good, can it? O.o
Alice D. recently posted..Obvious Signs of Too Much Debt

45 Hilary July 29, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Nicely done!
Hilary recently posted..I did something stupid