Just Breathe

by Meghann on July 26, 2011

Good Morning!

Tuesdays are my late mornings. An 8:35am spin class (my only option besides the 5:15am class :() forces my mornings to start on the later side. It also gives me enough time to get a 4 mile run in before hand. :)

My spin class was nice and easy this morning. The instructor had us concentrate on breathing and gradually building our way through zones. We started with zone 1 (recovery zone), worked our way to zone 2 (a little harder), held a while in zone 3 (can stretch anywhere from a 3 in effort to an 8), and finally in zone 4 (the red zone).

I liked how he taught us the importance of recovery (he made us slow to 60 rpm in each recovery) and the importance of controlling our speed and power. He also focused on breathing, which is HUGE for me. I’ll never forget being told by an old soccer coach to ‘stop breathing like dogs’ after she made us do a lap around the field. She trained us to control our breathing from then on out and it’s something I still work on to this day.

Learning to control my breathing was big when I started running a few years ago. Breathing properly in and out of my nose saves so much energy and allows me to keep up my endurance where others faulter. It also allows me to maintain my pace and have conversations while running. Breathing rocks. ;)

Late mornings mean a late breakfast. I couldn’t wait to dig in to something cold and refreshing when I walked in the door.

• 1/2 cup Kashi Honey Sunshine
  • 1/2 cup Kashi Goodness Flakes
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Cheerios
  • Plain Chobani
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries

Battery update!

We’re going on 27 hours (and counting!) of battery life. I’d say the extended battery pack is kicking butt. Woop! Woop!

I’ll let you know what the final count is, but so far this is a HUGE improvement from the measly 5-6 hours I used to get out of my battery. :)

1 Jess July 26, 2011 at 10:42 am

I still don’t know how to breathe right when I run…I just never got the hang of it :(

2 Dori July 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

I read that it is good to breathe in when the right foot strikes and out when the left does. Something about diaphragms.
Dori recently posted..Welcome To The Real World, Dori

3 Jess July 26, 2011 at 10:47 am

All through your nose? Or in through the nose out through the mouth? I really need a tutorial lol

4 Dori July 26, 2011 at 10:48 am

No idea actually. But I think I breathe in through nose and out through mouth during the times I am being conscientious about it.

5 Dori July 26, 2011 at 10:42 am

Fantastic about the battery! That was my biggest complaint when I had a similar phone to that.
Dori recently posted..Welcome To The Real World, Dori

6 Derek July 26, 2011 at 11:36 am

but now you’re with the iPhone 4 and that battery kicks arse!

7 Dori July 26, 2011 at 11:37 am

I was TRYING not to brag.

8 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 26, 2011 at 10:42 am

Wow, that is a long time! I thought about getting a battery pack for my iPhone, but thought they looked bulky and inconvenient. Maybe I should reconsider…
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Treats that are not Sunny Seeds but are still Very Good #14

9 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

So true – breathing right makes all the difference when running! Your yogurt looks amazing today, thoes strawberries look soooo red and ripe!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Product Review – Swanson’s Vitamins & ZICO Coconut Water Giveaway Winner!

10 Cait's Plate July 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

My phone battery has officially decided to start crapping out and it’s the worst. I used to get 6 hours out of it (and I was happy with THAT! ha) but not so much anymore.

Breakfast looks phenomenal.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Topped.

11 Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It July 26, 2011 at 10:50 am

Awesome about the battery!! My iphone batter doesn’t last long either.
Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It recently posted..GREAT DAY

12 Hillary July 26, 2011 at 10:57 am

Man, I miss my spin classes. I need to find a gym near me that offers them—the local YMCA only lets you attend if you’re a member. Boo!

13 michelle July 26, 2011 at 10:59 am

I remember when I first started running I would be gasping for air for the entire run. I thought I was going to die. I didn’t know how I was supposed to breathe and what the proper breathing technique was. I would just be sucking in air as fast as I could and my heart rate would just sky rocket.
michelle recently posted..1,000 Miles

14 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 26, 2011 at 11:05 am

I agree that breathing makes a huuuge difference. Even just going from slouching in a chair to sitting up as straight as you can – it’s amazing how much more you can fill your lungs!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Being in “the now”

15 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food July 26, 2011 at 11:06 am

I need to start doing spin again! The times at my gym aren’t the greatest. Either too early or too late. But i need to commit to at least once a week for sure.
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Running in O-town

16 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 26, 2011 at 11:09 am

I agree that breathing “right” helps so much — my running greatly improved once I was able to better control my breathing.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Phase 2 Strength

17 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 26, 2011 at 11:15 am

Jeez, the first pilates type class I ever took was ALL about breathing and honestly, it changed the workout experience SO much. It made my stomach tighter and focused on the core. It was amazing/hardcore like whoah.

Can’t stress it enough.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Feeling like a Superhero!!

18 Mary July 26, 2011 at 11:22 am

My mom taught me the importance of good breathing when running when I was younger. It makes such a difference!

19 Faith @ For the Health of It July 26, 2011 at 11:46 am

I get winded super quickly – my breathing gets really labored after even just one mile…but the rest of my body isn’t tired, just my lungs!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..How to Handle Backhanded Compliments

20 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 26, 2011 at 11:55 am

Proper breathing is really important in any kind of cardio sport! I used to be a swimmer and breathing was so so soooo important! We used to do breathing exercises and they were the hardest things ever. They were called “37 and 1/2′s”. Basically, you had to dive from the platform, swim down 25 meters, flip, and then swim halfway back… without breathing. Then you got to breathe and take it easy for the rest of the 12 and 1/2 meters. uggh I’m cringing thinking about that!.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..19 chickpea burgers

21 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 26, 2011 at 11:57 am

I need to find a different battery for my phone! It’s dead by the afternoon every day :(
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Make it Yourself Monday- Applesauce!

22 RunEatRepeat July 26, 2011 at 12:09 pm

4 miles and a Spin class?! Training for a Tri has made you super hardcore and it’s like no big deal to you!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Tempo Tuesday and Oat Brancakes

23 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 26, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Mmm…that berry breakfast looks beautiful! <3 My favourite things…blueberries, strawberries and cereal…good call, lol! ;-) And high five for an awesome workout! Do you have a snack before you workout in the mornings? I'd be on the floor after a 4mile run and THEN a spin class, all before breakfast…I'm always so impressed with people who manage without food and kick so much butt, lol! :-) I always wake up hungry…always! xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..do this and your life will never be the same…

24 Meghann July 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I had half a clif bar. A quarter before the run and a quarter before spin :)

25 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 27, 2011 at 3:42 am

Thank you for letting me know, I was curious, lol! Keep up the awesome training, girl, its totally inspiring! :-) xyx

26 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 26, 2011 at 12:23 pm

PS: yup, breathing does indeed rock ;-) that made me giggle!
it’s one of the aspects of yoga that has helped me so much in life, and in training…the focus on the breath. it’s sooo incredibly potent and powerful!
i actually wrote an article for an online wellness journal about the awesomeness of breathing, just thought I’d share it on the off hand you were interested (as a fellow breakthing-rocks person, lol! :-P) No worries at all if not, or if you want to delete the link :-) take care and have a lovely day! xyx

27 allpointswhole July 26, 2011 at 12:58 pm

My breathing is so off these days. I ran for the first time post injury this weekend and it was so labored. How I long and miss the days when I could talk all throughout a 20 mile run. Boo. But, trying to remain positive that I can get back there.

28 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) July 26, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I def need that extended battery pad for my iphone.. it does super fast lately.

Breathing correctly was a big thing for me when I started running too.. breathing was a big part of upping my my endurance also.
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..Glass half full

29 Jennie @ Designed to be Fit July 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I need to get that battery life extender! I have the droid Eris and it never lasts more than a day. I have to charge it every night and my husband only charges his every few days!

30 Jane @ Jane's Addictions July 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Breathing is tough. One of the reasons I like running in a group is that the conversation forces you to slow down and work on breathing. I have to remind myself to breath in hot yoga as well while in postures. Fresh oxygen is what helps your body go the distance :)
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Blogging to success

31 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I have an extended battery for my Android phone too and it is awesome! My old battery lasted half a day. Now I can go well over a day and it’s still kickin’. Best purchase ever. Only downfall is it adds some bulk, but I’d rather have a bulky phone than a dead one any day.
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Running Lessons

32 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes July 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Wow, that is a super battery pack!
I have a hard time with breathing too…just in general :)
During my run yesterday my lungs felt like they couldn’t get enough air no matter how hard I tried…no fun!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Pig in the Foyer

33 laura July 26, 2011 at 1:43 pm

This may sound stupid, but can you do a post on breathing? I can’t breathe very well, well pretty much not at all, out of my nose which is why I don’t run……mainly because I feel like I’m going to suffocate. I lately have been wishing that I could take up running.g so any help would be great!!

34 Hope July 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm

That’s good about the battery! My fiance had the htc Incredible and he had to get the extended battery too. The battery life was awful on that phone.
Hope recently posted..Easy Tomato Risotto…

35 joyce July 26, 2011 at 2:14 pm

those strawberries…
i want!

36 Ami@dashofcurry.com July 26, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Hi Meghann! I am a long-time reader just commenting now for the first time! I appreciate your thoughts on the whole breathing thing– I am just working up to longer distance running and need to work on my breathing for better endurance. Thanks for the reminder!
Ami@dashofcurry.com recently posted..My (Summer) Morning Routine

37 Samantha July 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm

You should do a post about breathing through your nose instead of your mouth for long-distance running! I’d love to read it :)
Samantha recently posted..The Great Fundraising Act

38 Belinda July 26, 2011 at 5:48 pm

I’d love to see a post on breathing too.

39 Bridget July 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Yes! Please Megan do a post on proper breathing during running! I need some tips in a major way…..I’m running my first marathon in October :)

40 Laura July 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Uh. What the heck do you mean by correct breathing? I just breathe normal when I run and don’t have any problems. The only time I run out of breath is when I am sprinting and have been breathing harder because of my faster foot falls.

41 Mary @ food and fun on the run July 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Loved that you tied breathing in to this post. Most people do not realize that you really do have to focus on it to achieve the best results. Sounds like a great spin class!

42 Dani July 27, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I have the Evo as well and have to have the 4G turned off to make it last at all… i used to get about 3 hours out of it (w/ 4G on) but now that i’ve turned it off i get at least double that, maybe more. I might have to look into that extended battery, too.

43 Meghann July 27, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I don’t even ever attempt to have 4G on because of that. I also use the WiFi when available and never use my GPS unless it’s plugged in.

44 Dawn July 27, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I had an old trainer at my gym who was a stickler on breathing….he use to be an opera singer and had to take many classes on breathing when he was in school. I learned a lot from him.

I see you have an android phone….what model is it? I have a samsung fascinate and the battery life sucks on that one also.

45 Meghann July 27, 2011 at 9:08 pm