Rough Day

by Meghann on July 25, 2011

Derek had a rough day at work today.

Rough day = comfort food

Comfort food = our favorite chicken dish

Luckily, our favorite dish isn’t that hard to prepare.

Just season

Cover

Bake

Done πŸ™‚

The full recipe can be found here. From what I’ve been told, it’s very similar to the famous ‘engagement chicken’ recipe. Unfortunately no engagement rings were found here, just a happy boyfriend who enjoyed his chicken. πŸ™‚

On the side I prepared some brown rice (and added a few olives because I’m really not a fan of plain rice).

Steamed broccoli with Nature’s Seasoning (Derek’s favorite seasoning – he puts it on everything :)).

We broke out the ice cream for dessert.

Rough Day = a serving of Chocolate Coffee Fudge πŸ™‚

I snacked on a bowl of cereal with a dollop of vanilla peanut butter this afternoon.

Rough day = time to cuddle.

Good Night

1 Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Be well.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..The Master of the Universe loves the Master of Ceremonies.

2 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) July 25, 2011 at 10:37 pm

This looks yummy…. But I think of Mac&cheese or french fries for ‘comfort food’ πŸ™‚

But chocolate coffee fudge is DEFinitely comfort food!! Where is that from?

Hope tomorrow is brighter!
Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) recently posted..Bigger, Stronger, Faster: The Side Effects of Being American

3 Christine @ BookishlyB July 26, 2011 at 12:10 am

I know- I was thinking the same thing. I guess this is comfort food for the super-healthy folks πŸ˜‰
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Teachers Make the Worst Students

4 Meghann July 26, 2011 at 11:16 am

I always think of comfort food as anything homemade. Roasted chicken is big comfort food for me because it reminds me of my Dad and being at home.

5 Lauren July 26, 2011 at 11:57 am

Me too. My favorite comfort food is shrimp scampi – doesn’t sound like the most ‘comforting’ dish, but it reminds me of my mom. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

6 Meghann July 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

It’s Breyers Brand

7 Ashley July 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Hope his day is better tomorrow!
Ashley recently posted..Donut Muffins

8 Sana July 25, 2011 at 10:42 pm

You are an awesome gf!
Sana recently posted..Would you be friends with yourself?

9 Army Amy* July 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm

The food looks so healthy for comfort food! The best medicine for a bad day is a good cuddle. I hope that does the trick.*
Army Amy* recently posted..I Survived

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 25, 2011 at 10:58 pm

rough days definitely mean comfort food. Sometimes I get my frustration out with a workout, other times it’s definitely some good food πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Macadamia nut chocolate chip cookies

11 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Love that comfort food, especially when it really does the job.

For whatever reason, mine’s always mac and cheese. warm, gooey, and a little taste of home (even if home = velveeta shells and cheese!)
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Feeling like a Superhero!!

12 Bee Goes Bananas July 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Comfort food is always the way to go! πŸ˜‰ I hope tomorrow goes better!

13 allison @ thesundayflog July 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm

my comfort food is a big bowl of pasta with homemade tomato sauce, or grilled cheese and tomato soup. they remind me of my mom and always do the trick. hope tomorrow is better!!
allison @ thesundayflog recently posted..What I Wore Monday | 7.25.11

14 Laura @ Backstage Pass July 25, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Looks like a lovely meal to cheer you both up. And LOL on the engagement rings reference πŸ™‚
Hang in there – hope that tomorrow is better!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Milwaukee’s Storm the Bastille Run: A 5k PR!

15 Jessica July 25, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I saw the pictures of your chicken and immediately thought “engagement chicken”! Maybe there’ll be a ring in your near future? πŸ˜‰

16 Jane @ Jane's Addictions July 25, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I always go for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but they often turn out too dry. I am going to give your roasted chicken recipe a try.
Jane @ Jane’s Addictions recently posted..Blogging to success

17 Katherine July 25, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Isn’t cuddling the best!

18 Adrienne July 25, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I love that your comfort food is roasted chicken! It’s mine too, because our family friend who was like a second mom to me always cooked roasted chicken with cranberries whenever I stayed over at her house. She passed away about a year ago but my mom has the recipe for the chicken and your post reminded me to ask her for it. Thank you πŸ™‚

19 Maren July 26, 2011 at 12:26 am

oh vanilla peanut butter sounds delicious.

20 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 26, 2011 at 4:47 am

Aaah…poor Derek. We all have those days and they totally blow, but how lucky is he to have a wondeful girlfriend like you to come home to <3 Three cheers for being there for your man, and being his comfort πŸ™‚ and his comfort food / cuddle dispenser πŸ˜‰ xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..guess who’s back…back again πŸ™‚

21 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 26, 2011 at 5:54 am

I love cooking for my boyfriend when he’s feeling down– Just made some chicken noodle soup tonight to ease his fever blues!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Pesto Salmon for One

22 Hillary July 26, 2011 at 7:34 am

Isn’t it awesome how good food can fix even the worst day? Hope Derek’s feeling better today!
Hillary recently posted..Lunchable

23 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 26, 2011 at 7:40 am

Sorry to hear Derek had a rough day. We usually go out if one of us had a crummy day — that or we open a bottle of wine.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Phase 2 Strength

24 Meghann July 26, 2011 at 11:17 am

He did make himself a glass of run and coke πŸ™‚

25 Paige July 26, 2011 at 7:46 am

Hope todays a better day for you two! πŸ™‚

26 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 26, 2011 at 8:02 am

uh oh, I hate rough days at work. I hope you the night made him feel better!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Zucchini Sandwiches – We Don’t Need No Stinkin Chicken

27 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 26, 2011 at 8:03 am

*you and the night

Sorry! It’s too early. I’m incoherent.

28 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 26, 2011 at 8:09 am

Aww you’re such a good girlfriend! The chicken looks really tasty!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Frank & Steins

29 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 26, 2011 at 8:16 am

Sorry for the rough day but that does look like a wonderful way to comfort the both of you! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Sweet Greens Salad Recipe and Sweet Relief

30 Hope July 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

That chicken looks delicious! πŸ™‚ I actually made the engagement chicken and the story is true. It really does work! πŸ˜‰ I hope Derek has a better day today!
Hope recently posted..Easy Tomato Risotto…

31 Cait's Plate July 26, 2011 at 8:56 am

Haha – I think your dessert is more my idea of “rough day” food. While that chicken dish looks awesome – I usually go for the pizza on those kind of days. Hope today is better for Derek! I’ve been there with bad work days – it’s no fun at all.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Topped.

32 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio July 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

Sorry to hear about the rough day for Derek but you’re an awesome girlfriend and I’m sure he appreciated it!!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Great News

33 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 26, 2011 at 9:44 am

Aww such a good girlfriend! πŸ™‚ And that dinner looks great… healthy but comforting!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Chocolate Buttermilk Bread Pudding

34 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 26, 2011 at 10:09 am

There is nothing better than cuddling and ice cream after a long day, that is for sure!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Product Review – Swanson’s Vitamins & ZICO Coconut Water Giveaway Winner!

35 Ashley @ thefitacademic July 26, 2011 at 10:14 am

Sorry about Derek’s rough day! Never good! At least you know how to make things better! : )

36 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 26, 2011 at 10:44 am

Nice job on dinner! My boyfriend would be thrilled to get a dinner like that (unfortunately for him he’s dating a vegetarian). Chocolate coffee fudge – um, yum!
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Pizza in the Morning, Pizza in the Evening…

37 Lauren July 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Sometimes nothing cheers me up more than an amazing meal* – especially when someone else cooks and prepares it. πŸ™‚ Your dinner looked delicious! I’m sure it was just what Derek needed to relax after a stressful day.

(Including wine or martinis. My boyfriend makes the BEST martinis, and I find those very comforting because I associate them with him).
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

38 joyce@jranola joyce July 26, 2011 at 2:17 pm

seriously?? THAT CHICKEN LOOKS SO DELICIOUS
that dinner is what i want right now πŸ™‚
joyce@jranola joyce recently posted..A Breakfast of Vegetables?