Bikini Bottom Fail

by Meghann on July 25, 2011

I had a major fail in the pool this morning.

With all all the great cleaning that was done yesterday afternoon, I sort of forgot to do any laundry (besides washing the sheets, of course). Since all of my lap swim suits had a very distinct not-so-fresh odor to them, I decided to whip out a regular bikini and wing it.

Ummm….. this could have worked if I picked a bikini with bottoms that actually fit. πŸ˜‰

IMAG0815.jpg

Yeah, I knew as soon as I got in the water that the bikini wasn’t going to work. The bottoms were dragging and I felt uber self conscious about the gap the flow of water was creating between the band and my skin.

It wasn’t pretty.

I lasted 500 yds before I called uncle and climbed out of the pool.

Lesson learned – stick to my designated lap swim suits in the pool. Also, I should buy another one. Or two. I really hate doing laundry.

I made up for the failed pool experience by hitting the treadmill instead. I did a quick 15 minute run, toggling between 6.0 and 8.5 every other minute.

Then I headed to the weights for NROLFW Stage 2A. I’m really enjoying Stage 2 – I love the extra challenge, it’s definitely a step up from stage 1.

Breakfast

Overnight in a Jar πŸ™‚

In the Mix:

• Last bit of Almond, Peanut, & Cashew Butter
  • 1/2 cup Oats
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Vanilla Soy Milk
  • Chia Seeds
  • Cinnamon
  • Raisins

On top:

• Kashi Go Lean Crisp
  • Blueberries

Love the layers. Layers = Love

Do you know how I know Derek loves me?

He fills my cup up with water every morning, so I have a glass of ice water waiting for me after my workouts.

Love him! πŸ™‚

1 Julie @SavvyEats July 25, 2011 at 9:50 am

That’s a cute little thing for Derek to do!
Julie @SavvyEats recently posted..Comfort Required {Blueberry French Toast}

2 Dori July 25, 2011 at 9:51 am

Derek is so sweet to you! I actually just bought that same exact nut butter yesterday that you used in your jar. What did you think of it? I haven’t tried yet but I loved the price!
Dori recently posted..Boomer’s Cystic Fibrosis Run to Breathe 10K Race Recap

3 Meghann July 25, 2011 at 10:00 am

I love the price too! It was ok, but a little bland. It needed salt. πŸ™‚

4 Hillary July 25, 2011 at 11:38 am

I was going to ask the same thing. As much as I love Target, I’ve consistently disliked their nut butters. Might have to give this one a try, though!
Hillary recently posted..Backyard Farmer’s Market

5 Rachel Wilkerson July 25, 2011 at 10:06 am

Eric and I just bought it too! I haven’t had any yet though.
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..The Life: Food Truck Lovin

6 Victoria (District Chocoholic) July 25, 2011 at 9:51 am

If you generally hang up your suits to dry within an hour of finishing your workout, you really don’t need to wash them. Just rinse them out immediately after you take them off. Washing with detergent will reduce their lifetime (so will shampooing your hair while wearing one).

I’ve never washed a swimsuit with detergent in 20+ years of swimming.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Christopher Elbow No16: Dark Chocolate and Coconut

7 Meghann July 25, 2011 at 9:59 am

Well, one swim suit still smelled like fish from my tri on Saturday and the other one (which is actually a bikini, but it’s a sport fit) still needed to be washed from my beach vacation the other week. Trust me – they were both stiff and smelled so bad I couldn’t even stand holding them. lol. I definitely need a third one.

8 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run July 25, 2011 at 9:53 am

That bathing suit may not fit you, but it is SUPER cute.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Let Me See That Sushi Roll

9 Karen July 25, 2011 at 9:55 am

You can rinse your suits out with water (maybe a little soap or even shampoo if you swam in the ocean), hang them up to dry and they will be good to go. Probably even last a little longer that way too. I usually just rinse mine out in the shower and hang them to dry.

10 Meghann July 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

I know. But trust me my swimsuit was still in my bag from my tri this week. it REEKED. lol

11 michelle July 25, 2011 at 9:56 am

I really like the pattern on that bikini. Very cute. I saw your sister’s post about how she scored some cheap beach clothes and I think a cheap bikini from Target. Maybe check there for bathing suits?
michelle recently posted..Weekend with Mom

12 Meghann July 25, 2011 at 10:02 am

I wish Target carried sport swimsuits. Unfortunately none of theirs look like they have the sport fit for lap swims. I’m going to check out Ross or Marshalls for something cheap there. πŸ™‚

13 Samantha July 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

Derek is so sweet! I love that he does that for you every morning πŸ™‚
Samantha recently posted..10 Personal Questions

14 Tanya @ Dine, Dash & Deadlift July 25, 2011 at 10:02 am

Well, at least it is a cute bikini – even if it is impractical for much more than laying on the beach! πŸ™‚

15 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 25, 2011 at 10:02 am

Ok, the water thing is super sweet. I love the little things. Sorry about the wardrobe malfunction! I haven’t tried the Archer Farms nut butters. Are they good?
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Hillstone

16 Meghann July 25, 2011 at 10:03 am

It was good. A little bland, but it worked. πŸ™‚

17 KatieRK July 25, 2011 at 10:07 am

Check out swimoutlet.com I used to swim in college and thats a great site to get suits at a decent price since I would go through quite a bit! That nut butter blend sounds good!

18 Faith @ lovelyascharged July 25, 2011 at 10:09 am

Last time I went tubing with my boyfriend and his family, I wore a bikini bottom that fit before I started working out…apparently running did me better than I ever expected, because they kept falling off every time I wiped out! No lie, his mum probably got quite the eyeful every time I let go of the tube and had to swim around searching for a bright blue pair of bottoms!
Faith @ lovelyascharged recently posted..My Birthday Gift to Myself

19 Lindsey July 25, 2011 at 10:10 am

That is way too cute πŸ™‚ What a awesome boyfriend!
Lindsey recently posted..Another Summer Wedding

20 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 25, 2011 at 10:11 am

Ooooh I know that same feeling. Trying to body surf + poorly fitting bathing suit bottoms = WAY worse than a nip slip!!

Had to stick to suntanning the last time I was at the shore for this VERY reason. No one needs that free show!
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..My apologies

21 Ali July 25, 2011 at 10:15 am

What kind of swim suits do you use? I’m just curious because most are not supposed to be washed–washing destroys the fabric and elastic. They’re just supposed to be rinsed and hung to dry.

22 Meghann July 25, 2011 at 10:33 am

I know. I wore my swim suit for my tri this weekend, then left it in a bag in my trunk over the weekend. When I pulled it out this morning it reeked and needed much more than a simple rinse to get the smell (and weird discoloring) out of it. I don’t put my swimsuits through the wash often, but something tells me it really needs it this time.

23 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 25, 2011 at 10:27 am

I assume the almond/peanut/cashew putter is from Target? I’m going to have to keep an eye out; it sounds good!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Home Stretch

24 Meghann July 25, 2011 at 10:31 am

Yep – Target!

25 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 25, 2011 at 10:27 am

I am cracking up with all these people not believing that your swim suits weren’t smelling good! Good luck finding a few more! I am sure it will be worth the investment! πŸ™‚
Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese recently posted..Heat 1, Jane 0.

26 Meghann July 25, 2011 at 10:34 am

haha – I know. It’s my fault though – I didn’t take care of it. I was the one that left the swim suit in the bag, in my car over the weekend. It smells so bad I didn’t even dump it in with the rest of my dirty clothes. Nappy.

27 Bee Goes Bananas July 25, 2011 at 10:27 am

I have the same problem sometimes. I’m a different size on the top and the bottom, so it’s hard to find a bikini that actually fits.

28 Lauren @ Team Giles July 25, 2011 at 10:37 am

I just LOVE that Derek does that. That’s so sweet and thoughtful. πŸ™‚ You got yourself a keeper!
Lauren @ Team Giles recently posted..Beginner Running

29 Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs July 25, 2011 at 10:42 am

If it’s any consolation the bikini is super cute πŸ™‚ Probably NOT worth showing your booty to everyone though! Hey – at least you tired.
Michelle @ Crazy*Running*Legs recently posted..Girls Gone Wild

30 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes July 25, 2011 at 10:44 am

I don’t own a one piece, although I’m sure I probably should ONLY own one pieces. When I make an attempt at swimming as part of my cross training routine I often have the same problem. At least it’s in the privacy of my backyard though…I’d be sure to clear out a gym pool πŸ™‚
Happy Monday!
P.S. I hate/avoid laundry at ALL costs!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Molly’s Big 0-5!

31 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine July 25, 2011 at 10:48 am

How sweet. πŸ™‚ I think he’s a keeper Meghann!

32 Gina @ running to the kitchen July 25, 2011 at 10:49 am

Ok that’s the cutesy thing ever with the water glass.
Gina @ running to the kitchen recently posted..Macadamia nut chocolate chip cookies

33 Alyssa July 25, 2011 at 10:51 am

Soooo cute about the water! I truly believe it’s the little things πŸ™‚ Lucky girl!

34 Cait's Plate July 25, 2011 at 11:00 am

Ugh – I’ve totally been there with the bikini bottom thing! I’ve made that mistake a couple of times and every time I think – “one pieces really were made for a reason” πŸ™‚

Breakfast looks awesome.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Beauty in Bowl Form

35 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 25, 2011 at 11:02 am

When I have forgotten my swimsuit in my gym bag and it is not so fresh – I just wash it with some soap and water in the sink at the gym and just put it on wet. I am going to get wet in the pool anyways so it doesn’t really matter.
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Use what you’ve got

36 Brittany @ ittybitsofbalance July 25, 2011 at 11:02 am

Derek fills up your water for you when you aren’t even there!? That’s it– I’m calling my boyfriend out on not doing that haha 8)

37 Biz July 25, 2011 at 11:08 am

Sorry about the bikini fail – love the ice water though!

I go to bed way earlier than my husband, but I always make sure his water bottle is full on his night stand before I go to bed. It’s the little touches that show love, right?

Happy Monday!
Biz recently posted..The Great Fundraising Act

38 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 25, 2011 at 11:09 am

Umm yeah… I’ve had those issues before, too. I have a very small booty, so bathing suits just don’t want to fit properly. There have been many a time at the beach when I’ve had to hold my butt while I get out of the water, to keep the bottom from showing too much… ahem… cheek. πŸ˜›

I feel your pain! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Sweet Success.

39 Margo @ peanut butter trees July 25, 2011 at 11:23 am

Those oats look awesome! And I’ve had similar bikini blunders – not cool!
Margo @ peanut butter trees recently posted..Christmas in July

40 Whitney @ My Life.My Heart. My Journey. July 25, 2011 at 11:26 am

I have the same suit, I love it!! Although I’ve never tried swimming laps in it πŸ™‚
Whitney @ My Life.My Heart. My Journey. recently posted..Bittersweet

41 Lauren July 25, 2011 at 11:35 am

Aww, I feel your pain regarding the bikini bottoms. I actually lost mine once while swimming laps in a pool. (Fortunately, it was super early and I was the only person there. Still, I was mortified). Probably a smart thing to give up the swim. The rest of your workout sounded great!

That’s so sweet that Derek leaves a glass of water out for you. Thoughtful guys are the best, and the “small things” mean so much. πŸ™‚
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

42 Adriane @ greenhorn living July 25, 2011 at 11:40 am

Laps defintely require a one-piece…and seems like we all learn the hard way, lol.

My husband is my water boy, too! So sweet. Flowers on Valentine’s Day don’t touch those little everyday things that show you what you mean to him.

43 Shayla @ The Good Life July 25, 2011 at 11:45 am

That is so cute Derek does that for you <3

And you're looking really good Meghann, nice abs too! Looks like your weight training is paying off πŸ™‚
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Start & End the Day with…Ice Cream

44 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 25, 2011 at 11:59 am

aw, so thoughtful of him! and yay for getting in a great workout despite the bikini bottom bust! mmm…your oats in a jar look ridiculously yum πŸ™‚ xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..guess who’s back…back again πŸ™‚

45 Shannon @ Mon Amour July 25, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I hate swimming even in training bikinis. They just don’t work. I wouldn’t recommended putting your bathing suits in the washer or dryer though. It will make them wear out much sooner and cause them to stretch out. Just soak them in water to get out the chlorine
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Catching Up

46 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife.com July 25, 2011 at 12:06 pm

The title of this made me think of “Sponge Bob Squarepants”. Derek is such a great guy! I mean singing and dancing while cleaning AND filling your water!?! KEEPER!
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife.com recently posted..Honeymoon Recap: Diamond Head

47 sirenjess July 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm

That’s so sweet….I use to save my chocolate milk after my races for my husband.

48 Melissa July 25, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I have that same bikini and love it! Definitely not good for lap swimming… I think I’ve attempted a couple of times to swim some laps in it when I’ve been to the pool to just lounge around (the lounging never lasts very long and I inevitably start swimming laps), but yeah… as soon as I push off the wall eeek!

49 Ali @ Ali Runs July 25, 2011 at 5:07 pm

What a bummer!! I always try to avoid wearing bikinis if I can help it when I swim for the obvious reasons. At least you got to do some of the workout!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Handstands, Cartwheels, and Run!

50 Carissa July 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm

That ice water thing…so cute!!!! He’s a keeper!
Carissa recently posted..Heat Wave!

51 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 25, 2011 at 7:50 pm

aww that’s sweet!

52 Katie July 25, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Sweet: I have the brown version of that bikini: loved the pattern and had to buy it a few years ago. VS is the best.

I had some really good luck with Marshalls/TJ Maxx when it came to finding a bikini suitable for lap swimming. I know…I’m vain, but I just couldn’t bear to buy a one piece suit, so I was determined to find a 2 piece that worked. I ended up finding a Nike one that absolutely no amount of drag in the water would be able to pull off of me: love it!
Katie recently posted..How many is too many?

53 Hannahviolin July 25, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I came here to say I have that bikini too, and so does my sister…I just love it! I wouldn’t swim in it though, it’s more of a sit around looking pretty bikini, I think. But I don’t really swim anyway, so I don’t have any advice πŸ˜‰
Hannahviolin recently posted..Happy Birthday to Leslie

54 Caroline July 26, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I have the same problem with that suit! I love the colors though πŸ™‚