7 Links

by Meghann on July 22, 2011

Have you seen the 7 Links posts floating around the internet lately?

The rules are quite a simple. A fellow blogger tags you in a 7 Links post of their own, then you respond with your own answers, and tag 7 additional bloggers.

Sounds fun, right?

I’ve had a blast reading friend’s links and was really excited when Katy, Courtney, Carissa, and Paula tagged me in their posts this morning. (I may have tweeted that I was sad no one had tagged me and they felt bad, but we’ll ignore that part.)

So, without further adieu, here are my 7 links! Enjoy – it was fun reminiscing on this one. After almost 3 years of blogging I had A TON of posts to choose from!

My 7 Links

Most Beautiful Post: My Tribute to Abbie

If you’re new to the blog then you may not know that Maddie wasn’t the first Jack Russell to make her way into my life. Long before Maddie, there was another JRT named Abbie, who I loved dearly.

DSCN2828.JPG

Abbie was the star of the show my first year blogging. She was there as I transitioned from Tallahassee to Orlando and she was there as I started my new healthier, fitter lifestyle.

CIMG0474.JPG

Sadly, two years into her very short life, Abbie passed away in the middle of the night. I felt like I lost my best friend and my heart tore in two. Right after she passed – and all the emotions were still very raw – I wrote My Tribute to Abbie post. Every year on Abbie’s birthday (June 24th) and the anniversary of her death (August 1st) I go back and re-read that post to remember just how great of a dog she was. It’s a moving post that still brings tears to my eyes.

Most Popular Post: My Marie Claire Response

Last October my world was momentarily flipped upside down when Marie Claire released an article that dragged mine – and 5 of my best blogger friends’ -names through the mud. Many emotions came to me that day – humility, anger, self loathing, etc. I had never been so hurt or angry in my whole life. I immediately did what any good blogger would do and wrote my rebuttal.

Almost a year later and that post is still my most heavily trafficked post on the site. I stand by every word written in that post and would say it all again. I learned a lot from the Marie Claire incident – instead of tearing me down, it’s only made me a stronger person – and blogger.

Most Controversial post: My Period Post

Going into that post, I knew it was going to be a controversial one, but after the Marie Claire incident I felt I had to set the record straight. This post opened the door to a lot of people telling me I should cut back or stop running (to be expected), but it surprisingly also opened the door for so many other female athletes who were in the same predicament as me. Normal, healthy girls – like myself – who also had problems with their periods.

When ever I told someone my period story, the first response would be ‘I thought that only happened to elite athletes.’ Well, the comments in that post taught me that it wasn’t true. I wasn’t alone and hearing other people’s stories gave me hope.

I followed up with My Period Post Part II a couple of months later and, even though I’m still not regular, I’m proud to say I am currently getting some what of a normal period every couple of months. Progress is progress. πŸ™‚

Most Helpful Post: Scales Lie

I wrote this post, deleted it, and wrote it again. Twice.

This was one of those posts that I wrote purely for myself. I had all these mixed emotions inside and had to get them out there. The response was overwhelming and incredible, this post is why I love blogging.

A Post Whose Success Surprised You: A New Chapter

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I decided to quit my job, pursue blogging full time, and move two hours away to be with the one I loved. I was scared that I would be letting a lot of people down and braced myself for a backlash when I hit publish. Instead, the comments that poured in made me cry. I was literally on cloud nine the entire day and when ever I’m feeling down I still return to that post to read the comments and remind myself how awesome you all are.

A Post You Feel Didn’t Get the Attention it Deserved: Marathon Volunteering

This post tends to get buried in the back, which makes me really sad. You see, when I decided to volunteer for the Disney Marathon two years ago, I had just completed my first half marathon and really had no desire to run a full marathon anytime soon. I didn’t think I had it in me.

DSCN1601.JPG

Then – after being on my feet for 8 hours, cheering on THOUSANDS of inspiring marathoners who looked just like me – I officially caught the bug. I signed up for my first marathon a week later and haven’t been able to stop running them since.

If you’re on the fence of running a marathon – or don’t believe you have it in you – I HIGHLY suggest signing up to volunteer for one. If you’re not instantly inspired to run one, then there is something insanely wrong with you. πŸ˜›

Most Proud Of: You Are Beautiful

I’ve had a long, hard journey when it comes to body acceptance and this post told my story from day one. It’s a journey that isn’t over yet, but I’ve never been more proud to be the person that I am today.

mon%2Capril%2Cmeg.jpg

And – if you haven’t had enough – check out my Favorite Posts, Travel, Race Recaps, and My Orlando pages. πŸ™‚

Tag – You’re it!

1 Joy (A Little Bit Fit) July 22, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I love your Scales Lie post!
Joy (A Little Bit Fit) recently posted..My FitBit Thinks I Am Lazy

2 Kara July 22, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I still remember how upset I was to read that Abbie had passed away. She was such a great dog! I remember you got some backlash for getting a puppy so soon after, but I think we can all agree it was a good choice πŸ™‚
Kara recently posted..Self timer and 7 links

3 The Teenage Taste July 22, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I’m seriously LOVING these 7 Links posts. I love catching up on old posts from my favorite bloggers. πŸ™‚
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Blogcation

4 Krissy @ Shiawase Life July 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Great links, Meghann! I read all of them and think you made some great choices to showcase. πŸ™‚
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..The taste of happiness.

5 Jen G. July 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I didn’t start reading healthy living blogs until I saw that awful Marie Claire story. Reading it, even without any blogging background, I could see the obvious bias and suspected that you were all being horribly misrepresented. I started reading the blogs mentioned and found that my suspicions were correct. I now read you and many others regularly and find great inspiration in my journey to stay healthy!

6 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm

How fun! What a background and story you’ve had. You should be proud of yourself!!

Congrats on nailing some really good topics right on the head πŸ˜‰
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Butterfly

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I really like the 7 links lists — some of the posts you mentioned are ones I have read, but not all of them!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Taco Cups + Impulse Buy

8 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine July 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm

These are great choices, Meghann. I’ve been a reader for over a year now and I think you really showcased fabulous posts. Abbie was adorable…as is Maddie! <3

9 Cait's Plate July 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I remember Abbie! I was so sad the day that I woke up and read what had happened to her. You’re so lucky to have gotten another adorable JRT to begin to fill up your heart where Abbie is missed!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..S’mores Brownies

10 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 22, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m looking forward to catching up on the posts I have yet to read over the weekend! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Healthy Living Blog Link Love

11 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 22, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I loved reading all your old posts! They’re all so inspiring and personal.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Blue Bird Bake Shop

12 Ericka July 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Meghann…I remember hearing about that controversial Marie Claire article last year but it was before I was into reading these kinds of blogs. So, I just went back and read it right now. How infuriating! I read your response post as well and wow — I can’t imagine how I would have felt now knowing this community so well. I would just say…my unhealthy attitudes about eating have IMPROVED a lot since I came across this community. If nothing else, you guys celebrate food as something good to fuel your body with! It has really helped me. I guess it’s a little too late for me to respond to Marie Claire NOW but wow — that writer was SO off base and clearly carved out her angle before she spoke with any of you. Anyway…hope to see you at the Healthy Living Summit πŸ™‚

13 Alicia at Poise in Parma July 22, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I agree with you about volunteering at races. Volunteering at the Cleveland Marathon this year was a BLAST. So happy I gave out medals that cold, rainy morning!
Alicia at Poise in Parma recently posted..lessons learned from Grandpa LaVecchia

14 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 22, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I loved all of these posts, good picks πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Food that makes you feel better

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 22, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I love the pictures of Abbie. And I love the post about scales lying. So true!! πŸ˜‰
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Funny lessons in marriage.

16 melissa (fitnessnyc) July 22, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I actually really loved your marathon volunteering post, and think of it often–it just pops into my head. I bet it had a larger impact than you realized.
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Writers, Running and Audrina’s Abs

17 Kelsey July 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Wow! I just started reading your blog about a week ago and this post officially has me hooked! You are extremely inspiring. I am a 20 year old not necessarily looking to lose weight, more so to maintain my healthy lifestyle. Blogs like yours and many others give me great new food and exercise ideas which motivation to continue with this way of living! Keep up the awesome work, you have yourself a new faithful follower!

18 Carissa July 22, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I loved catching up on all these important posts of yours that I hadn’t seen! Now I do, however, feel like a creepy stalker! eek!

19 Josephine @ Creating a Positive Life July 22, 2011 at 4:12 pm

The most beautiful post made me tear up.
The Marie Claire article is actually what made me aware of the healthy living blog world and started my readership. I am sure many others have been reached that way as well. So while the article was CRAP it did serve a purpose πŸ™‚

20 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 22, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I loved your “scales lie” post! It really showed me that I’m not the only one struggling with issues on the scale– mental AND physical
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Sinless & Delicious Cheesecake Bars

21 Sarah for Real July 22, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Your Abbie post makes me cry just thinking about it (I’ve read it once a while back and that’s all I can handle). Dogs nuzzle their way into such a special part of our hearts!

22 Shell July 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm

As a new reader, I didn’t think much of the Foodbuzz ads on your posts or the blog posts about what free items you received in the mail. But after reading the Marie Claire article of how much you make, I will no longer be reading.

Other people may have no problem supporting your “fun money” as you put it, but I am choosing to politely decline. You have definitely lost a reader here.

23 Meghann July 22, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I’m sorry you feel that way Shell. It would probably be wise to tell you that this past January I decided to pursue blogging and freelancing fulltime. My ‘fun money’ is now the money I use to pay the bills. I know I’ve been incredibly lucky here, but blogging three posts a week is full time work and I’m thankful for all the success that has come my way.

24 Ericka July 22, 2011 at 5:17 pm

What’s wrong with people making money doing what they love? I would totally do this if I could! Meghann has a market of readers and it’s a lot of work to keep up a blog and do the Healthy Living Summit, etc. It’s how the world works! Don’t you know that advertisements are what keeps MANY publications alive and well? I used to work for a book publisher and I got free books all the time! Besides that, no one could live off the amount she’s making, give me a break! I’ guess I’m just saying — more power to you Meghann, your blog and your work is awesome πŸ™‚
Ericka recently posted..The Gift of Chobani

25 Meghann July 22, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Thank Erika.:)

26 Tessa @ Amazing Asset July 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I am loving this trend! Thank you for sharing these seven πŸ™‚ I am off to stalk some old posts
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..When It’s Too Hot To Turn On The Oven…

27 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I loved this! I’m a new reader, so this is a great way to catch up on some posts. πŸ™‚
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..No longer adults

28 Christine @ BookishlyB July 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I actually found your blog through the Marie Claire article- and after looking at your guys’ sites I decided that MC was in the wrong and actually ended be subscription. I was so appalled at the slant they chose just to make the story seem scandalous. Now I read more blogs than magazines!

29 joyce July 22, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Meghann!
First off, I hope your knee gets better quickly!
also, i love your blog and have been reading for a while now!
i just started my own and i hope you visit! πŸ™‚

30 RunToTheFinish July 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

excellent selection of links!! i haven’t seen a few of those so I’m heading back now to read.

Hope siesta key goes well!!
RunToTheFinish recently posted..Kickboxing

31 Aleyta July 23, 2011 at 12:00 pm

You are the cutest ever. I love reading your blog!!!!
Aleyta recently posted..My truest bluest

32 Kim Foster, MD July 23, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I loved your “New Chapter” post, and in general, your decision to make a big change in your life, quit your job and move, and pursue your bliss! It’s such a difficult thing to do, to take the risk, leave everything that’s familiar and safe, and make the leap…but all too many people are afraid to make the change (although they should, and although they would be so much happier). So kudos to you!
Kim Foster, MD recently posted..7 Secrets of Portion Control

33 gia July 27, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I don’t get a natural period either. And my ob gyn recommended an ultrasound to check for polycystic ovarian syndrome, it turns out that is what I have. Her answer was to get back on birth control too. I begged her not to make me, but she said the risk is ovarian/uterine cancer. So I’m on nuvaring and having regular periods.. Has your doc mentioned an u/s?

34 Katie August 5, 2011 at 9:55 am

Love this! I started reading just as you were moving in with Derek. Any chance you did a post on how a 2-hr long distance relationship works? Or how you made it work?

35 Meghann August 5, 2011 at 11:14 am

You know what, I don’t think I ever did.But, I can tell you we made it work by constantly g-chatting and seeing each other every weekend. πŸ™‚