Veggie-ful Protein Smoothie

by Meghann on July 21, 2011

Doesn’t Blue look good? So, shiny and new! I feel like I have a brand new bike. πŸ™‚

I never mentioned it on the blog, but Blue (yes, my bike has a name) got pretty beat up during my collision the other week. The handlebars were scratched on the side – needing to be re-wrapped – and the gears have been acting funny. Heck, even my brand new pedals looked like they had taken some heat.

Playing the ‘better safe than sorry’ card, I took Blue in for a tune up at my local bike shop. $65 later…. everything checked out fine. They even gave Blue a good wipe down and had her nice and sparkling before her big photo opts at my tri this weekend.

I went with the blue wrap this time to mix it up a little. I should have taken a close up shot of what the old wrap looked like before I brought her in, you could tell the handle bars took a big beating in the fall – better them then me.

Blue is ready to race! Now, the question is – am I? We’ll see.

I had a Honey Stinger at the bike store. I love these bars – very rich and sweet like a candy bar.

After Blue was nice and comfy in my back seat, I headed to the local Y for the Thursday night track workout. I don’t go every Thursday, but it’s nice to know the Trampa Tri group is always there when I have the time to go.

There was the typical 5 minute warm up, 45 minutes of going all out, and 5 minutes of cooling down. I didn’t have my garmin on, but I’m guessing 3.5 miles in total? Maybe 4?

We worked on a lot of agility moves this evening that got my heart rate way up. I ended the workout feeling like I was going to puke (in a good way). I swear only runners look at the ‘needing to puke’ feeling as a good thing after a workout.

(Shout out to all my Tampa Tri Team peeps who are reading the blog! That was a nice surprise to hear tonight! πŸ™‚ )

I was in no mood to eat when I returned home, but knew I needed to eat something. A smoothie was the only thing that sounded remotely appealing.

However, this wasn’t an ordinary smoothie. This was a Veggie-Ful Protein Smoothie!

I tried to throw as much good stuff as I could in the blender. πŸ™‚

In the mix:

• 1 (cold) Baked Potato
  • Spinach
  • Ice
  • Vanilla Soy Milk
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Ground Flax Seed
  • Vanilla GoTein Powder (a freebie sample)
  • Almond Butter

The Vanilla GoTein Powder was a sample the company had sent a while ago. I used half of the packet in my smoothie and – trust me – that was all it needed. It has a very strong, distinct vanilla flavor that left my smoothie tasting like cake batter ice cream. I wouldn’t drink it straight, but the half packet was the perfect smoothie addition.

Don’t you love how spinach turns smoothies bright green? It’s so pretty!

Ok, maybe not in that light (in that light it looks like split pea soup), but definitely in this light.

MUCH better. A serving of Kashi Go Lean Crisp added a nice crunch to the bowl.

The smoothie was exactly what I was craving and I love how I was still able to sneak some veggies (sweet potato + spinach), protein (soy milk, peanut butter, protein powder), healthy fats (flax seed) and carbs (cereal) to it.

I’m so exhausted, I can barely keep my eyes open.

Good Night!

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Oo! This smoothie looks very greeny & proteiny– just how I like em 8)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..But why a blog, Brittany?

2 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm

When I first started drinking green smoothies, I would get so alarmed by what shade of green it would turn. Now I get excited at how green I can make them!

3 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm

ohh that does look interesting very green and deliciously filling!

Goooo Bue! πŸ™‚ I call my bike Silvie I bet you can’t guess what color she is! πŸ˜‰
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..No Mayo Honeyed Salmon Salad

4 Bee Goes Bananas July 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I need to try one of those Honey Stingers! I see them around from time to time, but I didn’t know if they actually tasted good or not. Good to hear they do!

5 Fit Chick Britt July 21, 2011 at 10:48 pm

oooh yum!! Best of luck in your tri! Can’t wait to read about it πŸ™‚
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..A Rough Start to a Good Day

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 21, 2011 at 10:57 pm

baked potato in a smoothie?! never, ever would’ve thought of that. can you taste the potato? I like the idea of it b/c smoothies never keep me full for long but a whole potato in it might do the trick!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Tofu zucchini fried rice

7 Meghann July 22, 2011 at 8:01 am

It’s a sweet potato and you really can’t taste it. It does make the smoothie a little creamier though. I gave a bite to Derek (without telling him what was in it) and he said it was pretty good!

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I love green spinach smoothies! I’ve never thought to add a sweet potato to it though! Looks delish.

Yep, puking afterward feeling is a MUST for a great workout. HAh πŸ˜‰
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Workout Tunes + Thankful Thursday

9 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine July 21, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I love spinach in smoothies! But potato?! Never tried it, but I trust you Meghann. πŸ™‚ Haha I love that feeling after a good run.
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Homemade Twix Bars

10 Lindsey July 21, 2011 at 11:43 pm

A potato in your smoothie!? That is brave! Could you taste it or anything? That is awesome though πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..A VERY Good Day

11 Meghann July 22, 2011 at 8:02 am

It’s a sweet potato and you couldn’t! Ask Derek! He liked it too!

12 Ali @ Ali Runs July 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I love getting the feeling of working so hard you could puke–it lets me know for sure how hard I worked!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Running Motivation for Friday!

13 Lorin July 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I don’t like feeling like puking and don’t try to get to that point but I like the accomplished and endorphin feeling. Your blender must be super strong to blend all that up, sounds good though πŸ™‚

14 Amanda July 21, 2011 at 11:50 pm

the smoothie looks DELICIOUS and green! πŸ™‚ definitely gonna try it sometime! xoxo
Amanda recently posted..Vivos Austin

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 22, 2011 at 1:19 am

I would have never thought to put a sweet potato in a smoothie! So weird it works πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Post Long Run French Toast

16 Christine @ BookishlyB July 22, 2011 at 1:57 am

I really wish I had the balls to try some of your smoothie concoctions!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Blog Hop- Bibliotherapy

17 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 22, 2011 at 3:39 am

Wow! That smoothie sounds sooo awesome! Seriously, I would NEVER have thought to put sweet potato in a smoothie. Never ever ever. It sounds like a bowl of food absolutely packed to the brim with nutrition! And I guess that is the great thing about having a vitamix…you can blend pretty much anything!
Your bike looks beautiful now it is all refurbished πŸ™‚ My boyfriend is in love with his new mountain bike…such fun toys, lol! ;
Awesome workout – yup, I remember that feeling from my running competition days as a teen…track training = puke feeling = success, apparently, lol! Ooohkay! πŸ˜‰
Take care and sleep well! xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..mmm…crispy (salmon) crackling

18 Lauren July 22, 2011 at 6:56 am

Do you have cycling shoes? I just bought a pair and I’m curious to know how much of a difference they make.
Lauren recently posted..WINNER!!!

19 Meghann July 22, 2011 at 8:03 am

Yes, I have Pearl Izumis There’s a photo of them here

20 Hope July 22, 2011 at 8:04 am

That smoothie looks interesting! I’ve never heard of a sweet potato in a smoothie. The green color is very vibrant! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..You Got Served…

21 Cat Melnyk July 22, 2011 at 8:09 am

I’ve never tried a green smoothie. I’m kind of a “scaredy cat” I suppose. I need to give this a try though cause it has everything I love in it. mmmmm.

22 gasem July 22, 2011 at 8:30 am

Good on the weights. Bet there wasn’t much thumb twiddlin between sets

23 Cheryl July 22, 2011 at 8:36 am

LOVE Stingers, do yourself a favor and try the waffles..they just came out with a vanilla and it is to DIE for, will def satisfy your sweet tooth…which seems to crave as much as mine from your writing : )

24 Cait's Plate July 22, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love the idea of putting a sweet potato in a smoothie. I’ve seen a couple of other people do this and I can just imagine how thick it makes it. I gotta try it.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Sushi & Catch-Up

25 Carissa July 22, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love veggie smoothies! I like pumpkin ones too! I didn’t love the smoothie my husband spilled all over the floor at 7am….I’ll stick to oatmeal today!
Carissa recently posted..Fighting Alzheimer’s With Exercise

26 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 22, 2011 at 9:12 am

Yum, that smoothie sounds really good! I love that you named your bike πŸ™‚
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Interval Workout and a Salmon Recipe

27 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

I have a full canteloupe in my fridge at home and I know exactly what I am going to do with it! Using it as a bowl is such an AMAZING idea!!!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..With 100*+ Temperatures… Hydration is Essential *GIVEAWAY*

28 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

I love how thick the smoothie is! Those are the best..that way they can hold plenty of toppings! Blue looks perfect, too!

29 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 22, 2011 at 11:05 am

Smoothies are so much better when topped with a little crunch!
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Sweet

30 Beth (Well I'll Be) July 22, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I’ve never heard of putting a sweet potato in a smoothie! Could you taste it or is it just like adding spinach?
Beth (Well I’ll Be) recently posted..Wild Like A Cow

31 Hawaii Green Smoothie July 22, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Wow! Not that really IS an interesting recipe! lol! πŸ˜‰

32 Melissa July 30, 2011 at 8:52 pm

you make the best smoothie bowls!!!!
Melissa recently posted..It’s WIAW Time

33 Kate Johnson November 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm

That seems quiet delicious! I always love spinach veggie and I love your recipe. I think I might to try this good one.
Kate Johnson recently posted..Abs Diet Recipes

34 protein smoothie recipes July 19, 2013 at 6:38 am

I always make strawberry and banana smoothies, very boring, this has given me so many more ideas – thanks x
protein smoothie recipes recently posted..Fig Honey Yogurt Smoothie Recipe