Veggie-ful Protein Smoothie

by Meghann on July 21, 2011

Doesn’t Blue look good? So, shiny and new! I feel like I have a brand new bike. πŸ™‚

I never mentioned it on the blog, but Blue (yes, my bike has a name) got pretty beat up during my collision the other week. The handlebars were scratched on the side – needing to be re-wrapped – and the gears have been acting funny. Heck, even my brand new pedals looked like they had taken some heat.

Playing the ‘better safe than sorry’ card, I took Blue in for a tune up at my local bike shop. $65 later…. everything checked out fine. They even gave Blue a good wipe down and had her nice and sparkling before her big photo opts at my tri this weekend.

I went with the blue wrap this time to mix it up a little. I should have taken a close up shot of what the old wrap looked like before I brought her in, you could tell the handle bars took a big beating in the fall – better them then me.

Blue is ready to race! Now, the question is – am I? We’ll see.

I had a Honey Stinger at the bike store. I love these bars – very rich and sweet like a candy bar.

After Blue was nice and comfy in my back seat, I headed to the local Y for the Thursday night track workout. I don’t go every Thursday, but it’s nice to know the Trampa Tri group is always there when I have the time to go.

There was the typical 5 minute warm up, 45 minutes of going all out, and 5 minutes of cooling down. I didn’t have my garmin on, but I’m guessing 3.5 miles in total? Maybe 4?

We worked on a lot of agility moves this evening that got my heart rate way up. I ended the workout feeling like I was going to puke (in a good way). I swear only runners look at the ‘needing to puke’ feeling as a good thing after a workout.

(Shout out to all my Tampa Tri Team peeps who are reading the blog! That was a nice surprise to hear tonight! πŸ™‚ )

I was in no mood to eat when I returned home, but knew I needed to eat something. A smoothie was the only thing that sounded remotely appealing.

However, this wasn’t an ordinary smoothie. This was a Veggie-Ful Protein Smoothie!

I tried to throw as much good stuff as I could in the blender. πŸ™‚

IMG_9744.jpg

In the mix:

• 1 (cold) Baked Potato
  • Spinach
  • Ice
  • Vanilla Soy Milk
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Ground Flax Seed
  • Vanilla GoTein Powder (a freebie sample)
  • Almond Butter

The Vanilla GoTein Powder was a sample the company had sent a while ago. I used half of the packet in my smoothie and – trust me – that was all it needed. It has a very strong, distinct vanilla flavor that left my smoothie tasting like cake batter ice cream. I wouldn’t drink it straight, but the half packet was the perfect smoothie addition.

Don’t you love how spinach turns smoothies bright green? It’s so pretty!

IMG_9746.jpg

Ok, maybe not in that light (in that light it looks like split pea soup), but definitely in this light.

MUCH better. A serving of Kashi Go Lean Crisp added a nice crunch to the bowl.

The smoothie was exactly what I was craving and I love how I was still able to sneak some veggies (sweet potato + spinach), protein (soy milk, peanut butter, protein powder), healthy fats (flax seed) and carbs (cereal) to it.

I’m so exhausted, I can barely keep my eyes open.

Good Night!

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Oo! This smoothie looks very greeny & proteiny– just how I like em 8)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..But why a blog, Brittany?

2 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 21, 2011 at 10:23 pm

When I first started drinking green smoothies, I would get so alarmed by what shade of green it would turn. Now I get excited at how green I can make them!

3 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm

ohh that does look interesting very green and deliciously filling!

Goooo Bue! πŸ™‚ I call my bike Silvie I bet you can’t guess what color she is! πŸ˜‰
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..No Mayo Honeyed Salmon Salad

4 Bee Goes Bananas July 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I need to try one of those Honey Stingers! I see them around from time to time, but I didn’t know if they actually tasted good or not. Good to hear they do!

5 Fit Chick Britt July 21, 2011 at 10:48 pm

oooh yum!! Best of luck in your tri! Can’t wait to read about it πŸ™‚
Fit Chick Britt recently posted..A Rough Start to a Good Day

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 21, 2011 at 10:57 pm

baked potato in a smoothie?! never, ever would’ve thought of that. can you taste the potato? I like the idea of it b/c smoothies never keep me full for long but a whole potato in it might do the trick!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Tofu zucchini fried rice

7 Meghann July 22, 2011 at 8:01 am

It’s a sweet potato and you really can’t taste it. It does make the smoothie a little creamier though. I gave a bite to Derek (without telling him what was in it) and he said it was pretty good!

8 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 21, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I love green spinach smoothies! I’ve never thought to add a sweet potato to it though! Looks delish.

Yep, puking afterward feeling is a MUST for a great workout. HAh πŸ˜‰
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Workout Tunes + Thankful Thursday

9 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine July 21, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I love spinach in smoothies! But potato?! Never tried it, but I trust you Meghann. πŸ™‚ Haha I love that feeling after a good run.
Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine recently posted..Homemade Twix Bars

10 Lindsey July 21, 2011 at 11:43 pm

A potato in your smoothie!? That is brave! Could you taste it or anything? That is awesome though πŸ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..A VERY Good Day

11 Meghann July 22, 2011 at 8:02 am

It’s a sweet potato and you couldn’t! Ask Derek! He liked it too!

12 Ali @ Ali Runs July 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I love getting the feeling of working so hard you could puke–it lets me know for sure how hard I worked!
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Running Motivation for Friday!

13 Lorin July 21, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I don’t like feeling like puking and don’t try to get to that point but I like the accomplished and endorphin feeling. Your blender must be super strong to blend all that up, sounds good though πŸ™‚

14 Amanda July 21, 2011 at 11:50 pm

the smoothie looks DELICIOUS and green! πŸ™‚ definitely gonna try it sometime! xoxo
Amanda recently posted..Vivos Austin

15 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 22, 2011 at 1:19 am

I would have never thought to put a sweet potato in a smoothie! So weird it works πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Post Long Run French Toast

16 Christine @ BookishlyB July 22, 2011 at 1:57 am

I really wish I had the balls to try some of your smoothie concoctions!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Blog Hop- Bibliotherapy

17 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 22, 2011 at 3:39 am

Wow! That smoothie sounds sooo awesome! Seriously, I would NEVER have thought to put sweet potato in a smoothie. Never ever ever. It sounds like a bowl of food absolutely packed to the brim with nutrition! And I guess that is the great thing about having a vitamix…you can blend pretty much anything!
Your bike looks beautiful now it is all refurbished πŸ™‚ My boyfriend is in love with his new mountain bike…such fun toys, lol! ;
Awesome workout – yup, I remember that feeling from my running competition days as a teen…track training = puke feeling = success, apparently, lol! Ooohkay! πŸ˜‰
Take care and sleep well! xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..mmm…crispy (salmon) crackling

18 Lauren July 22, 2011 at 6:56 am

Do you have cycling shoes? I just bought a pair and I’m curious to know how much of a difference they make.
Lauren recently posted..WINNER!!!

19 Meghann July 22, 2011 at 8:03 am

Yes, I have Pearl Izumis There’s a photo of them here http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/06/15/orlando-for-the-day/

20 Hope July 22, 2011 at 8:04 am

That smoothie looks interesting! I’ve never heard of a sweet potato in a smoothie. The green color is very vibrant! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..You Got Served…

21 Cat Melnyk July 22, 2011 at 8:09 am

I’ve never tried a green smoothie. I’m kind of a “scaredy cat” I suppose. I need to give this a try though cause it has everything I love in it. mmmmm.

22 gasem July 22, 2011 at 8:30 am

Good on the weights. Bet there wasn’t much thumb twiddlin between sets

23 Cheryl July 22, 2011 at 8:36 am

LOVE Stingers, do yourself a favor and try the waffles..they just came out with a vanilla and it is to DIE for, will def satisfy your sweet tooth…which seems to crave as much as mine from your writing : )

24 Cait's Plate July 22, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love the idea of putting a sweet potato in a smoothie. I’ve seen a couple of other people do this and I can just imagine how thick it makes it. I gotta try it.
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Sushi & Catch-Up

25 Carissa July 22, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love veggie smoothies! I like pumpkin ones too! I didn’t love the smoothie my husband spilled all over the floor at 7am….I’ll stick to oatmeal today!
Carissa recently posted..Fighting Alzheimer’s With Exercise

26 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 22, 2011 at 9:12 am

Yum, that smoothie sounds really good! I love that you named your bike πŸ™‚
Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Interval Workout and a Salmon Recipe

27 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 22, 2011 at 9:58 am

I have a full canteloupe in my fridge at home and I know exactly what I am going to do with it! Using it as a bowl is such an AMAZING idea!!!!!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..With 100*+ Temperatures… Hydration is Essential *GIVEAWAY*

28 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 22, 2011 at 10:10 am

I love how thick the smoothie is! Those are the best..that way they can hold plenty of toppings! Blue looks perfect, too!

29 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 22, 2011 at 11:05 am

Smoothies are so much better when topped with a little crunch!
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Sweet

30 Beth (Well I'll Be) July 22, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I’ve never heard of putting a sweet potato in a smoothie! Could you taste it or is it just like adding spinach?
Beth (Well I’ll Be) recently posted..Wild Like A Cow

31 Hawaii Green Smoothie July 22, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Wow! Not that really IS an interesting recipe! lol! πŸ˜‰

32 Melissa July 30, 2011 at 8:52 pm

you make the best smoothie bowls!!!!
Melissa recently posted..It’s WIAW Time

33 Kate Johnson November 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm

That seems quiet delicious! I always love spinach veggie and I love your recipe. I think I might to try this good one.
Kate Johnson recently posted..Abs Diet Recipes

34 protein smoothie recipes July 19, 2013 at 6:38 am

I always make strawberry and banana smoothies, very boring, this has given me so many more ideas – thanks x
protein smoothie recipes recently posted..Fig Honey Yogurt Smoothie Recipe