Swimming and Lifting

by Meghann on July 18, 2011

Good Morning!!

I can’t tell you how good it feels to be sitting back at my own desk with working internet and Maddie by my feet. Vacation was great, but nothing beats being home. πŸ™‚

Vacation officially ended when my alarm went off at 6:30 this morning. I gathered my gym bag and headed out for a little swimming and lifting.

Swim

Courtney had created a distance ‘Nice and Easy’ swim workout for me a while ago that’s been sitting in my inbox. I was finally able to put to the test this morning.

Here’s her original workout (with notes):

Distance workout or “Nice and Easy day” sample (Total yardage = 2300, 45-50 min)

Warm up (10 min)

2 x 250’s focus on technique, no interval

Main set (32 min) stretch out your stroke, focus on finding an β€œeasy-speed”, try to be consistent with how fast you swim each 200 yards

8 x 200’s @ 4:30

Cool down (5 min)

8 x 25’s @ :40 drill

Comment: Play around with the main set during your nice and easy day.  This is a great time to focus on your technique and getting quality yardage in.  Pay attention to your time on each 200 yards only to be consistent and steady within the workout and to be able to notice what improvement you are making.  If you feel like making it a fast day…do it!  That’s the beauty of swimming – you are not going to injure yourself especially only swimming around 5,000 yards a week.  It may take 70,000 yards a week to get to the point of injury.  The reason you should have the option of an easier pace day is if your other training has left you exhausted.

On one hand I liked that this was supposed to be an easy workout with a focus on technique and not worrying about time. On the other hand, I found that angle pretty boring. I ended up trimming the workout a tad and ended up with this.

Warm up

• 250

Main set

• 6 x 200 @ 4:30

Cool Down

• 8 x 25 @ :40 drill

Total Yards: 1650

A little shorter, but it worked. I know I need to do longer swims in the pool – I just need to work myself up to it. πŸ˜‰

Lift

This morning I officially kicked off Stage 2 of the New Rules of Lifting for Women. (I know, I owe a Stage 1 recap – it’s on my to do list for today).

Woo hoo for a new set of workouts! I was more than ready for a change up.

Just like with the first stage, stage 2 is made up of an A and B workout that will alternate every other session until 4 sets of each workout are completed. I was beginning to grow a little bored of the Stage 1 workouts and happily welcomed the new moves.

Unfortunately my printer was acting up this morning, so I had to write everything out by hand before I left for the gym.

And again the phone came in handy for helping me remember the moves. Just click a photo of the move and bring it along (I know there’s apps that you can look stuff up on as well, but it’s easier for me to pull it up in a photo album then fiddling with an app.)

One of the big changes I noticed in Stage 2 was the 75 seconds rest between moves, instead of the usual 60. It made for a little more of sitting around and twiddling my thumbs. Another was how the spread doesn’t go up and down with how many sets you complete or how many reps are in each set. Each workout contains 10 reps and 2 sets across the board.

I liked how Stage 2 incorporates a few moves that really work the core – the Cable Horizontal Wood Chop (pictured above) is already a new favorite. There are also some old moves that stayed this stage (the step-up and push up), but everything else feels new and fresh.

So far, Stage 2, I’m a fan. πŸ™‚

Breakfast

Cereal, anyone?

• 1/2 cup Erewhon Brown Rice w/ Berries
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Cherrios
  • 1/4 cup Uncle Sam Strawberries
  • Plain Yogurt
  • Grapes

The grapes were a little tart. They need to ripen up a bit more in the fridge.

Now, it’s really time to return to work.

Have a great Monday!

1 Cait's Plate July 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

I couldn’t agree more – by the end of my vacation I’m usually SO ready to get back to my routine. And it would only be better if I had little Maddie sleeping by my feet as well! πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Layer It

2 Molly July 18, 2011 at 10:41 am

I love coming up with new circuits to do for weights. Im sitting out of cardio, for a long time due to an injury so it’s nice to get my heart pumping with weights and other things! I might have to invest in that book!
Molly recently posted..β€œWhen you love someone you let them take care of you.”

3 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 18, 2011 at 10:45 am

By the looks of your arms in your Savage Race post, The New Rules of Lifting for Women workout is working quite well for you! πŸ˜€
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #25: Sunny Seed Runner

4 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 18, 2011 at 10:47 am

Welcome home! That’s awesome that you’ve moved on to Stage 2. I can’t wait to hear about it!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Ft. Myers Beach

5 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

I love how thorough your thoughts on the new rules of lifting (stage two) were, and look forward to seeing what you thought of stage one!
I used to photograph exercises with my ipod touch…but last time I took it with me, I dropped it at the gym and the screen broke into a million little pieces…along with my heart, lol! *sheds melodramatic tears* life went on, although the ipod did not πŸ˜‰ You have a great monday too! <3 xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..a weekend of eating out & working the menu

6 Christie July 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

This is awesome! I really want to get into swimming after I’m done training for my half-marathon, because I think it’s a fanTAST workout that doesn’t require killing your knees…

This is more than a little embarassing, but I can barely swim. Do you know if it’ s common for people in their 20s to take swim lessons without being in a class of like five year olds? Haha.
Christie recently posted..My First 5K!

7 Christine @ Burning It Off July 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

I also got really bored with Stage 1 towards the end – it seemed to go on forever. But Stage 2 is a lot faster (only 8 workouts in total compared to 16 I think in Stage 1)… you’ll be surprised at how quickly it goes by. Looking forward to your stage 1 recap!
Christine @ Burning It Off recently posted..Summerlicious at Jump

8 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 18, 2011 at 10:51 am

Yep – I love getting back into the regular routine once vacation is over. I’m glad you’re still liking NROLFW!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Strength + Speed Recap

9 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 18, 2011 at 11:01 am

I’m excited to hear your recap of Stage 1. You are doing awesome!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..A Challenge in Commitment

10 Hope July 18, 2011 at 11:42 am

It feels so good getting back into a routine when coming home from vacation. Breakfast is yummy! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..The Date Is Set!…

11 Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It July 18, 2011 at 11:49 am

My boyfriend does grapes in his cerealtoo and I always think he is nuts!! Glad to know he isn’t πŸ˜‰
Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It recently posted..Listening to your body

12 gasem July 18, 2011 at 11:57 am

If you’re thumb twiddling between sets you are not lifting enough weight

13 Angela @ pinching and packing July 18, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Do you have an iPhone app that shows pictures of each move? I need something like that!
Angela @ pinching and packing recently posted..Lazy & Productive

14 Meghann July 18, 2011 at 12:27 pm

There are apps out there, but I just take a photo with my phone of the move.

15 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I just finished the last “special workout” in stage 1 last night. I was all excited to get a good week of running in while I took my strength training break and then I pulled my back out on the deadlifts. I’m definitely out of commission for at least a week now. Glad stage 2 is a nice change up, I was getting a little bored of stage 1 by the end too.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..New rules of lifting for women: stage 1 update

16 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 18, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I’m starting Stage 1 tomorrow so I am excited to read your recap!
Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese recently posted..Le weekend.

17 Mary July 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Love your swim workout. You’ll work yourself up to higher yardage in the pool in no time. It’s all about consistancy πŸ™‚
Mary recently posted..Early Morning Bliss

18 Emily @ comfortable home life July 18, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I’m about to start stage one so I can’t wait to read your recap. My to do list for today includes sitting down and figuring out exactly how the program works.
Emily @ comfortable home life recently posted..Sunday Breakfast

19 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm

So glad it feels so good to be back! Awesome workout! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Monday Motivation to Get Outside: Health Benefits, Tips & More!

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I acutally really like the tart grapes…..call me weird, but it adds a little ZING to life with ’em around. Heh πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Pure Joy

21 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Hahahah I take pictures of them too it’s fine. I NEED THAT BOOK!!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Moving Monday: A Weighty Subject.

22 Audrey July 19, 2011 at 2:32 am

I was wondering, do you usually eat before or after you exercise in the morning? I noticed on your blog, you always mention breakfast after your morning workouts, which are seriously impressive (!), but I wasn’t sure. I ued to always exercise first, but now I eat breakfast first, and worry that I won’t have enough energy to do the same exercises I did eating breakfast afterwards at my eating-breakfast-before pace and stamina. Do you notice a diference in your pace or energy when you exercise first thing as opposed to after a meal or snack?

23 Meghann July 19, 2011 at 6:52 am

I always have a bite of something before my workouts. I used to post about the half of a Clif Z_bar or handful of cereal I had on my way out the door, but it got to be very repetitive. I prefer eating breakfat after my workouts because I don’t like exercising on a full tummy. I have just enough before hand to get me out the door and fueled before breakfast time.

24 Audrey July 20, 2011 at 12:18 am

Thanks. I like that idea of having a snack before then having a later breakfast working out….and showering, because I soo never skip showering after a workout πŸ˜‰ It would also defintely solve the issue of whether to exercise on a full or empty stomach. Thanks again πŸ™‚