more ยป" />

HIM Training: Week 6

by Meghann on July 18, 2011

Is it just me or are these reviews coming faster and faster? I can’t believe I’m already in week! Only 10 more weeks now!

A Review:

The original plan:

Screen shot 2011-07-18 at 1.18.17 PM.png

What actually went down:

Screen shot 2011-07-18 at 1.30.11 PM.png

I knew when I built my plan that I would be on a tropical island this past week with very limited access to equipment, a bike, or a gym. I had already scaled the plan down a lot, but the addition of my injury had me scaling it back even further. Still, for being on vacation on a tiny island, I’d say I did pretty good.

Recap:

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

• Rest

Sunday

By the Numbers:

• Swim: 3250 yds
  • Bike: 13 miles
  • Run: 7 miles (Walk): 3.1 miles
  • Strength: 0 Days

I’ll consider this week a taper week. I took it easy, scaled back, and enjoyed my vacation. I went into it not expecting much and I think that helped. Trying to plan a million workouts on vacation would have been crazy. Going in with moderate expectations and building vacation into the training plan was key. Otherwise I would have felt nothing, but guilt the whole time for not being able to keep up with it.

Do you pencil vacations into your training plans?

Lunch

I had a big, beautiful salad for lunch today.

Look at all those colors. Colorful food makes me happy. :)

In the bowl:

• Spinach
  • Carrots
  • Olives
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Roasted Red Peppers
  • Almond
  • Hummus
  • Mozzarella Cheese

Cinnamon Pita Chips on the side. They were the perfect sweet ending treat to lunch.

This Monday is flying by. Is it really 2:00 already? Wowza!

1 Cait's Plate July 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

That salad looks awesome – right down to the cinnamon pita chips!

I wish I had something that I could be training for in order to “pencil in” vacation! But alas, I’m sidelined with an injury so I’ll just have to live vicariously through you ;)

2 Samantha @ Bikini Birthday July 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I like to be able to include exercise in my vacati0ns but it’s tough to maintain your regular workout schedule, especially if that involves weight training.

I like to have a repertoire of body weight exercises that I can do when I travel to keep up my exercise routine but I’m usually excited to hit the gym again when I get home!

3 The Teenage Taste July 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Looks like your training is coming along wonderfully! You did pretty great considering you were on vacation. I never workout more than once or twice when I’m on vacation. :-?

4 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 18, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Haha it’s only 2 PM for some of us…others of us are still waiting! :P

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm

When I’m on vacation I try to plan a few runs and a few circuit workouts (pushups/planks/squats/etc) but if I don’t get to them I don’t sweat it, unless I am training for an event, then I try my best to fit them in. I think you did great!

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm

you did great for a vacation week! having siblings that are into working out with you must help. My mom has been doing couch to 5K for about 6 weeks now so I’m going to recruit her on our upcoming beach vacation to run with me!

7 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 18, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Hey NICE job on the training, especially for being on vacay!

I love huge, flavorful salads. YUMM!

8 mary July 18, 2011 at 3:01 pm

When i’m on vacation, I like to enjoy my time. I usually scale back my workouts too. there’s nothing like a little sweat time out of town though!

9 Ali @ Ali Runs July 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I love your recap posts! It is always so amazing how fast training goes. :)

10 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I think you did an awesome job of keeping up with your activity/training/workouts while on vacation. What a great example of how fun exercise can be when you do it with family! :)

11 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) July 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I 100% pencil vacations into my training/workout schedule.. Otherwise I get frustrated that I can’t do my workout as planned! That just concludes with me being cranky, so it’s better to think ahead.

12 Biz July 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Glad you got some rest and workouts while on vacation!

13 Su July 18, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Nice work!!!

Im curious, in what week of the plan are you supposed to make longer runs?

14 Meghann July 18, 2011 at 4:45 pm

It’s coming up. I had a little set back this week with my accident. :/

15 Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Your salad looks delicious! That’s great that you kept up with your training and workouts on vacation, even if they were scaled back! I don’t know if I would have the motivation haha.

16 Katherine July 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Nice pita chips! Love it :)

17 Alexa @ Simple Eats July 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Awesome job planning your workouts on vacation! I’m going on a cruise next week and I already have some fun exercise ideas in mind!

18 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 18, 2011 at 5:05 pm

As someone who is looking way forward to wens and, well, every other day, I’m GLAD this Monday is flying!

19 sirenjess July 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm

What type of protein do you use in your smoothies? I thought I read that you use the Whole Foods brand. How would you rate it? Thanks

20 Meghann July 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I use the Whole Foods Whey Protein. Personally, I love it. It tastes great and doesn’t change the texture of the smoothie like some protein powders do.

21 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Such a pretty colorful salad! You kicked butt with your vacation workouts! I try my best to stay active and exercise while away… Guess it depends if i’m training for anything.

22 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

You did a great job of keeping up with your training while on vacation!

23 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 18, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I always adjust my workout schedule so that vacation weeks are taper weeks– however you definitely were still pretty productive for a vacation mode! Awesome job

24 Meghan July 18, 2011 at 9:08 pm

yum! Pita chips are so addicting aren’t they? I went through a whole bag of stacy’s just grabbing handfuls this weekend!

25 Laura July 18, 2011 at 9:36 pm

That salad is so colorful and summery! I always love hummus as a topping.

I try to stay active on vacations but not necessarily through working out. If I get one or two workouts in and make an effort to explore the area by foot, I feel good about that.

26 Jessica July 18, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I just started reading your blog. I didn’t know you were training for a Half Ironman! Congratulations and good luck. :)