Cheesy Zucchini and Carrot Fritters

by Meghann on July 18, 2011

I had a little fun in the kitchen tonight.

A little of this.

A little of that.

And – what do you know? – I have a great dinner to serve. πŸ™‚

Cheesy Zucchini and Carrot Fritters

• 1 Zucchini
  • 1 Yellow Squash
  • 1 Carrot
  • 1 Egg
  • 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs
  • 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 T Chia Seeds
  • 2 T Ricotta Cheese
  • Italian Seasoning
  • Salt & Pepper

Start by shredding the Zucchini, Yellow Squash, and Carrot.

Once the veggies are shredded, add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.

Mix everything together and form seven palm size fritters.

Fry them up on the stove top until golden brown.

I served mine with salsa and plain yogurt. Derek had his with buffalo sauce.

I love the addition of the ricotta cheese in these. It gave the fritters a bit of creaminess and richness that my fritters have lacked in the past. It also added a boost of protein and dairy. πŸ™‚

On the side I had a few pretzels with mustard (aka I was too lazy to make anything else to go with the fritters).

This afternoon I snacked on a Corn Muffin VitaTop with a smear of Naturally Nutty Chocolate Butter Toffee Peanut Butter.

Did you know yesterday was National Ice Cream Day?! I missed out on it then, but I made up for it today with a small bowl of Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and Frozen Cherries.

Why have I never had this combination before? It’s delicious! Sort of like the cheap, easy – and fire alarm friendly – version of cherry jubilee. πŸ™‚

Meals and Miles The Show

The latest episode of Meals and Miles is up on iZonOrlando.com!

Screen shot 2011-07-18 at 8.21.15 PM.png

This week (or really three weeks ago πŸ˜‰ ) I tackle TRX Training for the first time. It’s a workout that pretty much guarantees buff arms and a strong back. Check it out for yourself!

1 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm

ohh YUM! I love this fritter idea!

I can’t wait to check out your TRX video, I’ve used TRX but never as part of a class and in my new home town there is a great independent gym that teaches one!
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Baked Lemon Herb Perch Recipe and Stewed Eggplant Recipe

2 Shannon July 18, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I love TRX. I always feel like I’m getting my “money’s worth” so to speak out of my time. I always get a full body workout every class, and I know I’m getting in a great burn every time.

3 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 18, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Dangnggg the whole world is just gaga over zucchini fritters!!! Yummm
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Moving Monday: A Weighty Subject.

4 Ann July 18, 2011 at 9:56 pm

The fritters look great but the addition of ricotta puts them in the “must make” category. At the grocery today I found myself debating over whether to buy ricotta cheese and I finally put it back since I didn’t know what I would do with it!
Ann recently posted..First Swim

5 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm

The fritters look so cute! Great job with dinner!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Strength + Speed Recap

6 Julie @ There and Back Again July 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Love this idea for dinner! Very creative πŸ™‚ My favorite way to sneak in veggies I don’t really like is to make them cheesy – I actually love zucchini, but it works with other things, too! And I had no idea about National Ice Cream Day, either. I guess I’ll have to do some belated celebrating! Thanks for an interesting and entertaining blog πŸ™‚
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..27948: The Music

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm

That ice cream combo sounds just like Ben and Jerry’s cherry garcia, my favorite flavor!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..New rules of lifting for women: stage 1 update

8 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) July 18, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I love how adventurous you are in the kitchen – I need to become bolder with my cooking concotions. Looks yummy!!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..How to roast a chicken on a Monday

9 Casey July 18, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Those fritters look awesome, Meghann! Creative. πŸ™‚

10 mary July 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm

those fritters look interesting, but good! I might have to try them!
mary recently posted..Things I wish I had learned in Nursing School

11 Laura July 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Those fritters look great! I love zucchini fritters in the summer – may have to try this combination some time!
Laura recently posted..Monster Cookies

12 Claire July 18, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I missed ice cream day too so I made up for it by eating mint choco chip today! These fritters look INCREDIBLE!!!

13 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Wow looks delicious!! What a great idea!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Memories of India

14 melissa (fitnessnyc) July 18, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I’m impressed! and this post makes me realize that it’s been way too long since I’ve had a vitatop–yum
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Long Wonderful Weekend

15 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 18, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Those fritters reminds me of my mom’s recipe – we used to enjoy it with tamarind chutney. It was DA BOMB! πŸ˜€
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Magical hands

16 Jamie@everydaydolce July 19, 2011 at 3:34 am

I love fritters and I’m so happy you shared a recipe using ricotta, I love ricotta πŸ™‚
That ice cream idea is genius!
Jamie@everydaydolce recently posted..sasquatch and cinnamon rolls

17 Ali @ Ali Runs July 19, 2011 at 6:47 am

This looks awesome! I wish I could go into the kitchen without knowing what I want to make and then come out with something like that! πŸ™‚
Ali @ Ali Runs recently posted..Moonlight Sail & Cast Away Party

18 Stephanie July 19, 2011 at 7:17 am

thanks i have all this in the fridge right now! maybe we will give it a whirl! were they really good?
Stephanie recently posted..Matchmaker, Matchmaker

19 Julia July 19, 2011 at 7:36 am

Ok, now I will have some fritters for dinner too πŸ˜‰
Julia recently posted..Is carisoprodol good against arthritis

20 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees July 19, 2011 at 7:42 am

Those fritters look awesome! And combining salsa and yogurt is a great idea.
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Gym and Refueling Veggies

21 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 19, 2011 at 7:47 am

Your creations in the kitchen are so unique and creative πŸ™‚
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Southern Cookin’

22 Katie @ cooklaughmove July 19, 2011 at 8:04 am

Just did TRX this morning! We worked our legs a lot!
Katie @ cooklaughmove recently posted..Strawberry Season

23 Halley (Blunder Construction) July 19, 2011 at 8:30 am

Just watched your video, I love that you started out saying you can’t even do a pull up! I’m wondering though, where did you get that dimple in your right shin? Did you get a puncture wound or maybe it has to do with when you broke your femur?
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..Third Time Around

24 Meghann July 19, 2011 at 10:14 am

That’s where the pin was in I was in traction. I’ve never heard it referred to as a dimple before. πŸ™‚

25 Meagan Grady July 19, 2011 at 8:31 am

The fritters look delicous! Definitely trying them soon. Your husband sounds like mine with the buffalo sauce. πŸ™‚
Meagan Grady recently posted..ELR DIY? Maybe.

26 Hope July 19, 2011 at 8:41 am

I have so many zucchini’s that I am running out of things to make with them. I am definitely going to try making these fritters! They look really tasty! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Do You Museli?…

27 Cait's Plate July 19, 2011 at 9:20 am

I found out yesterday it was National Ice Cream Day (though I think I read it was “National Ice Cream Week” which makes it even better).

I saw you tweet about your dessert last night and you gave me a hankering for it the whole rest of the night! Looks even better than I imagined it!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Iced Coffee Kind of Day

28 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 19, 2011 at 9:25 am

For some reason, I’m still always a little “surprised” when I put random ingredients together, fry it up in a pan, and it just works.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Catching my Unicorn

29 natalie (the sweets life) July 19, 2011 at 9:43 am

i love making zucchini patties! I’ve mixed spinach in before but never carrots–I’ll have to try it!

30 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 19, 2011 at 10:28 am

Those zucchini fritters look gooooood. I missed National Ice Cream day too – I’ll have to remedy that asap!
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Cool Food

31 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 19, 2011 at 10:35 am

oh WOW, this is a grand idea. I have never made fritters before….but as they say, better late than never! Hah.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..How To Shed Body Fat

32 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 19, 2011 at 10:49 am

What a great idea! Really good for a side dish too!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Back in the Swing of Things

33 Amy July 19, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Ohhh frozen cherries!
Amy recently posted..First Fat Comments, Now Too Skinny

34 Sarah July 19, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Made the fritters and they were delicious but one question- were yours moist in the middle?! I tried cooking them as long as possible without burning them but they still seemed a little wet on the inside! Just curious…

35 Meghann July 19, 2011 at 8:08 pm

YEs, mine were moist, but I like them that way πŸ™‚