more ยป" />

Savage Race Sneak Peek

by Meghann on July 17, 2011

Call me a nerd, but I find all of the behind the scenes stuff of what goes into putting on a race (or any other event for that matter) fascinating! I love learning how things work and what makes them tick. Maybe that’s why I love the Discovery or Travel Channel so much? hmmm….

So, when Sam from Savage Race invited me on a ‘Sneak Peek Tour’ of the upcoming Savage Race course, I immediately said YES!

Savage Race is an extreme obstacle course and mud race coming to Central Florida on August 27th. The race is the brainchild of Sam, who had attended several mud/ obstacle events of his own before deciding he could build one that was bigger and better than the rest. He quit his job and dove right in. Less than a year later his idea is in the middle of becoming a reality.

I made it out to the far reaches of Clermont this morning to learn what Savage Race was all about. The course resides on a big stretch of land that is currently occupied by a cool ATV park and rental place.

I had no idea this was even out here. I swear, I learn something cool and new about Orlando every day. Definitely a place my family would be interested in visiting and playing for the day.

Anyways, I was the only blogger on the course tour, but I was joined by a few YouTube superstars.

There’s a whole YouTube subculture out there that I now realize I know very little about. These guys were insane (in a good way) and spoke about YouTube and fellow YouTube rockstars just as my friends and I talk about blogging and blog rockstars when we’re together. They also had the latest video equipment and really knew their stuff. I just watched in awe.

I can’t wait to see how all their videos came out. You can follow them all on YouTube at TheMightyThor1212 (who wouldn’t give me his real name – only that he works for NASA and it’s top secret!), RootBerry (a professional juggler who performs around the world!) , and TheTimTracker (he considers himself a professional adventure seeker) . Seriously great, funny guys!

We all piled into two big trucks and set out on an adventure.

The Savage Race course is approximately three miles long and will include 14 obstacles. A few of the obstacles are top secret or aren’t finished yet, but we were able to try a few of them out.

Starting with the 8ft wall.

The goal is to jump over the 8 ft wall using only your momentum and strength. Have you ever stood next to an 8 ft wall? It’s pretty darn high!

IMG_9380.JPG IMG_9381.JPG IMG_9382.JPG

My new friend Christina was up for the challenge.

She did have her own ideas on how to get up though… ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_9386.JPG IMG_9387.JPG IMG_9388.JPG IMG_9389.JPG

The guys are still testing different methods with the wall out. Their plan is to have a girl side (with a step) and a boy side (no step). Since they had girls there they went ahead and put a step up for us to try.

Umm… even with the step I still needed a boost to get up.

IMG_9404.JPG IMG_9405.JPG IMG_9409.JPG

And my arms killed just from that! That obstacle is going to be tough!

Car snack!

The next obstacle was a little less challenging.

These were only 5 ft walls you would go over, BUT you would then immediately drop to go under a line of barbed wire. It’s an ‘over/under’ approach.

IMG_9448.JPG IMG_9449.JPG IMG_9450.JPG

IMG_9451.JPG IMG_9452.JPG

The 5ft walls were sooooo much easier. They were fun even!

Just call me the wall jumpin’ ninja! Hiiii Ya!

IMG_9466.JPG IMG_9465.JPG IMG_9467.JPG

IMG_9468.JPG IMG_9469.JPG IMG_9470.JPG

Maybe I should have worn real shoes? Bare feet did work though!

This was a natural obstacle.

Run up a sliding dirt hill? Pshhh…. piece. of. cake. ๐Ÿ˜‰

IMG_9489.JPG IMG_9490.JPG IMG_9491.JPG IMG_9492.JPG IMG_9493.JPG IMG_9494.JPG IMG_9495.JPG IMG_9496.JPG IMG_9497.JPG IMG_9499.JPG

Booyah! With no shoes!

Now, this is an 8ft wall I could become friends with.

This wall will appear at the end of the course. I guess the guys thought the racers would be tired at this point so they wanted to make the wall was a touch easier.

This is also the obstacle with the view. Check this out.

(There’s an open water swim obstacle that takes place in the lake!)

Pretty, right? I wonder if anyone is going to be stopping on the top to take advantage of it like I got to?

The infamous 35-ft sand dune has already been gaining buzz leading up to the race. After the first wave goes through and breaks it up, I’m sure it’s going to feel similar to running up quicksand.

Then, after you make up the sand, you’ll head straight down into a pit of lovely Florida mud. Basically this means you are guaranteed to get dirty at this race! If you’re not there to get dirty, then you’ve come to the wrong race. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Obviously this was only a small snippet of the obstacles Savage Race will have come race day. They’re still building, planning, and scheming on what will live up to their slogan of ‘the race built to kick your ass’. This race is going to be insane! Sam even told us how they were shipping special thick mud in to ensure the optimal muddy coating when savages cross the finish line.

The Savage Race takes place on August 27 in Claremont (just outside Orlando). I’ll there, will any of my Central Florida friends be joining me? ๐Ÿ˜‰ I may or may not have a race entry or two to giveaway, so stay tuned!

Also – in full disclosure – I will be doing a little social media work with Savage Race and they’re comping my race entry come August.

I said good bye to my new friends just after 3:00 and realized all I had to eat was a mini Larabar since 8:30 this morning! I needed food – stat!

I found a Publix on my way back to the interstate and practically ran inside for lunch.

In a pinch, you can never go wrong with a Publix sub.

Salsilito Turkey, all the veggies, spicy mustard, and vinegar on whole wheat. It was gone faster then you could say ‘Feeeeeedddd me.’

I made it back to Tampa and CRASHED. I was so wiped that even the 2 hour nap I took didn’t feel like enough to recharge my battery. This has been one crazy weekend.

When I did make it back to the land of the living – and made it the grocery store to restock the fridge and pantry – Derek and I kept it simple for dinner with pita pizzas.

Just load a pita ( or lavash) with tomato sauce, olives, sweet peppers, mozzarella, and ricotta and bake at 450 for 6 minutes.

All done.

Ricotta on pizza may be my new favorite thing. It adds just a touch of richness and class.

An apple for dessert.

Time to crash again.

Good Night!

1 Katherina @ Zephyr Runs July 17, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Bill berry! A regular at my restaurant, love that guy!!

2 Mary July 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Oh man, that race looks Intense!! I dont know if I’ll ever be brave enough to do one like that!
Mary recently posted..Learning to Open up.

3 Dione July 17, 2011 at 10:27 pm

That course sounds tough & fun!!

4 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm

That race looks INTENSE! Holy cow.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Ft. Myers Beach

5 Sana July 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm

You have been busyyyy! That race looks amazing!

6 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Damn, you’re one tough cookie! All that adventuring made me hungry just looking at the pictures ๐Ÿ˜€
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Gross Turkey

7 Megan July 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Looks awesome! Definitely something to get excited about training for :)

8 Christine @ BookishlyB July 17, 2011 at 10:43 pm

That course looks extremely fun. I did a mud run recently and it ended up being more fun that I ever thought it would be. And with all the crazy momentum and energy the walls aren’t too tough.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Quality Has Left the Building

9 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Seems like that is going to be an awesome, fun race! It’s tempting me to find a mud race of my own!
Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese recently posted..Le weekend.

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm

That looks like one heck of a race! Can’t wait to see you compete in the real thing.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..A day in the life

11 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out July 17, 2011 at 11:05 pm

That race looks FUN!
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Best Part of the Day

12 Suzanna July 17, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Claremont? Did you mean Clermont? Oops :). Looks like it will be a great race!

13 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 17, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I’ve never had a pita pizza.. need to fix that!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Myrtle Beach 2011

14 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 17, 2011 at 11:18 pm

wow! That is SO cool that you got to see all the behind the scenes stuff. NICE!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Epic in Food and Show

15 Alaina July 17, 2011 at 11:38 pm

That race looks nuts! Good kinda nuts though. Have fun with that one! :-)
Alaina recently posted..Quiet Sunday Morning

16 Erin@Just Breathe July 18, 2011 at 6:46 am

I love your hat! Where did you get it?!
Erin@Just Breathe recently posted..Weekend in Photos

17 Meghann July 18, 2011 at 9:52 am

From H&M way back in 2006 :)

18 Jumanah @ Healthy Living in the Middle East July 18, 2011 at 6:47 am

I’m totally impressed you were able to do all those things without shoes! The race looks really challenging but fun!

19 Meghann July 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

I’ve hiked mountains without shoes before. I have very tough feet.

20 Lauren July 18, 2011 at 6:53 am

So cool that you got to get a behind the scenes look at this race. Are you going to run it?
Lauren recently posted..Make New Friends But Keep The Old

21 Meghann July 18, 2011 at 9:52 am

Yes! Can’t wait!

22 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 18, 2011 at 7:50 am

That looks like a fun race — I’ve never done anything like that before!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Strength + Speed Recap

23 Cait's Plate July 18, 2011 at 8:51 am

Oh my gosh this looks INCREDIBLE! Haha. I can’t even imagine how much fun that would be…only problem is, I’m not sure I would ever be brave enough to actually do something like that :)
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Layer It

24 Holly July 18, 2011 at 8:52 am

I LOVE Publix subs. I moved to Philly from Georgia a year ago, and we don’t have them up here. But I make sure to go every time I visit home.

25 Karin July 18, 2011 at 9:40 am

So cool that you got to do that!
Karin recently posted..Freeing Sisyphus: Are You Addicted to Self-Loathing

26 Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real July 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

Ok, I started laughing when I noticed that you were not wearing shoes in the picture of you climbing over the 8 ft wall. Do you normally attempt races without shoes? I am itching to do a mud run soon, just so I can take muddy finish line pictures!
Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real recently posted..Weekend Warrior in the Kitchen

27 Meghann July 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

haha – no, usually I have shoes on. I was just caught off guard because I wanted to test them out, but all I had were flip flops. Barefoot seemed easier than flip flops. ๐Ÿ˜‰

28 Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 18, 2011 at 10:40 am

Wow! This race looks incredible and soo much fun! What a wicked way to spend the day! ๐Ÿ˜€ And love your pizzas….so good! :-) xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..a weekend of eating out & working the menu

29 Carissa July 18, 2011 at 10:45 am

Wow Meghann! That looks really intense! I’m kinda shocked! I think I’d need to be in the first wave for that one! I hope they have lots of water stops!

I’m still thinking about running it or not. I FB messaged with Sam and he mentioned they may need an announcer, but Kyle and I may still be on vacation that day. I told him, “announcer- I wanted to run!” haha! Perils of my business I guess!
Carissa recently posted..Strength Workout for Beginners

30 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 18, 2011 at 10:45 am

That race looks more savage than Savage Garden.

They don’t look savage at all.

Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Seek Happy Days to Happy Nights

31 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 18, 2011 at 11:08 am

Looks like a really cool race! Can’t wait to see your recap in August!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..A Challenge in Commitment

32 Sam @ Savage Race July 18, 2011 at 11:52 am

Meghann, thanks for coming out. We had a blast with you and the rest of the crew. You’re a true Savage. Come visit any time. Maybe a follow up sneak peak in a few weeks to cover a few more obstacles that we haven’t built yet?

-Sam @ Savage Race

33 Dina @ DinaRuns July 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

That looks like so much fun but I might be scared to try an open water swim. I’m not a bad swimmer but have never done anything like that in a race situation.
Dina @ DinaRuns recently posted..Harry Potter and Anthonyโ€™s

34 Meagan July 18, 2011 at 12:56 pm

That looks like so much fun…definitely wishing I was in Florida next month to try it!
Meagan recently posted..Oven-Roasted Chicken Parmesan

35 Diane Murphy July 18, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Why were you barefoot? That seems odd considering you were outdoors.

36 Meghann July 18, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I had flip flops on that I kicked off before doing the course. Doing the obstacles in flip flops would have been a LOT more difficult then in barefeet. Plus, I’m a Florida girl – we rarely where shoes here anyways. :)

37 acedanger July 20, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Did they talk about the fire near the end?
acedanger recently posted..because f*ck you, thatโ€™s why

38 Meghann July 21, 2011 at 10:32 am

All I know is that there will be fire, but I don’t know how they are going to execute it. :)

39 acedanger July 21, 2011 at 10:34 am

I’m interested to see how they execute it. My kids were especially interested in how it’ll be incorporated.
acedanger recently posted..Crossfit โ€œFranโ€