Adios Stitches

by Meghann on July 13, 2011

Do you know what today is?!?!

It’s stitches removal day!!!! Whoop! Whoop!

*Side Note* I’m not the first family member to start vacation with stitches. In 2004 my twin brother had a run in with a saw while working at my Dad’s office and had to have a few stitches put in a couple of days before we boarded a cruise ship.

100_0389.JPG

The same brother had a bad fall earlier that spring on a family ski trip to Jackson Hole and broke his wrist.

100_0067.JPG

Can you believe he skied down the rest of the hill with his wrist looking like that? OUCH!

Anyways, my family has had its fair share of pre-vacation and vacation injuries. (Remind me to tell you the story of how I crashed my bike while mountain biking in Jamaica or when I ran straight into a tree with a snow mobile in Colorado) Lucky for us, our Mom is nurse and is always quick to nurse us quickly back to health. When the doctor told me I had to have my stitches in for 10 days, I quickly did the math and realized I would be stranded on a secluded island come d-day. No worries – I also knew my Mom was a pro and take my stitches out with any problem.

The Doc was great and slipped a suture removal kit in my take home back and told me to have fun on vacation.

IMG_8853.JPG IMG_8854.jpg

Bye, Bye stitches!

IMG_8855.jpg

The procedure was relatively simple. Just snip and pull.

All done!

We put a band aid on it for good measure, but my mom thought it looked pretty good.

Not even 10 minutes after the stitches were out, I had my running shoes on, ready to test this knee out.

Here goes nothing!

IMG_8866.jpg

My brother, sister, and I headed out for a 4 miler just before 8:00. It was HOT, SUNNY, and HUMID, but we survived.

My knee was great. It felt funny at first, but the sharp pain I had felt when I tried to run when the stitches were in was gone. The area is still sore and tender, but at least I can run on it. Now I feelt as if I can dive head first back into HIM training!

We returned with plan of jumping straight in the pool, but the smells of freshly made pancakes won us over.

I had three pancakes with plain yogurt, berries, Kashi Go Lean Crisp, and a tiny drizzle of syrup.

I have a problem with eating plain pancakes – they’re just so boring! Lots of toppings for me please. πŸ™‚

We’re heading to the beach this morning and I’m hoping to get some kayaking in. have a great Wednesday everyone!

1 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out July 13, 2011 at 9:32 am

Eek, I cringed through most of this post… Until you got to the pancakes.
Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out recently posted..Moms, Stay Motivated to Get to the Gym

2 Carrie @ Running in Scrubs July 13, 2011 at 9:34 am

How convenient to have a nurse in the fam πŸ˜‰ ! Glad your knee is feeling better and that breakfast looks amazing!!

3 Hillary July 13, 2011 at 9:35 am

Woot woot! Back in the game! Your knee looks surprisingly great for having just gotten stitches taken out—a good sign, right??
Hillary recently posted..Bored = Hungry

4 Mrs. Fish July 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

That’s great your knee felt good enough to run on after the stitches came out!
What a delightful looking bowl of pancakes, yum!
Mrs. Fish recently posted..Crockpot Baked Ziti

5 michelle July 13, 2011 at 9:37 am

I know it’s ‘just’ stitches, but it still made me feel a bit sick reading that and seeing the pics. A friend of mine is an ER nurse and has all these pics on her phone of injuries that come into the ER (not sure if she is actually allowed to do that….) and she was flipping through them and I seriously thought I was going to vomit.
michelle recently posted..Self-Doubt and Marathon Dreams

6 Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) July 13, 2011 at 9:38 am

Stitches give me the heebie jeebies, but I’m so glad your’s are out now πŸ™‚
Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..What {we} Ate Wednesday

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 13, 2011 at 9:40 am

I love pancakes with just butter and syrup — when there is too much stuff you can’t taste the good cakes!

I’m glad your knee is feeling better!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Tasting Table

8 Cait's Plate July 13, 2011 at 9:41 am

Woohoo!! So glad they’re out πŸ™‚

That breakfast looks amazing. I’m with you on the plain pancakes – I always add fruit, yogurt and nut butter to mine πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Just Peachie

9 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 13, 2011 at 9:43 am

yay for no more stitches and a great run! I bet you feel a bit of relief knowing you can get back into training.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..NACUBO 5k race recap

10 Mary July 13, 2011 at 9:46 am

The scissors in Swiss Army knives are pretty good at stitch removal too…in case you have to do this again (I hope not!)

11 Mary July 13, 2011 at 9:48 am

Good thing your mom is a nurse!!

Yay for no more stitches!

ps. besides the brusing, your laceration looks awesome!! good job taking care of it!
Mary recently posted..Watch Out Paula Deen!

12 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 13, 2011 at 9:51 am

Eek, you are a braver woman than I to go out and test that knee so quickly! I would be so paranoid.

The pancakes look great. I’m kind of a plain pancakes girl — big buttermilk ones with LOTS of butter and syrup, please! πŸ™‚
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Win an Amazon.com giftcard! Super easy.

13 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 13, 2011 at 9:51 am

Yay! Finally! Buh-bye, stitches!!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Green Mountain Coffee’s Brew Over Ice

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 13, 2011 at 9:56 am

Yay! Glad the stitches are out & you’re running again!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Honeymoon

15 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 13, 2011 at 9:58 am

Those stitch-removal pictures are taking me back to my days in high school health class being forced to watch videos about emergency room cases. Glad the post ended with something at lot easier on the (my) eyes! πŸ™‚
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #21: Sunny Seed at MOBOT

16 Shannon @ Mon Amour July 13, 2011 at 9:58 am

Getting stitches out feels so strange. Glad to hear you were able to run with minimal discomfort!
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Tentative Fall Race Schedule

17 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 13, 2011 at 10:05 am

I love that you took pics getting your stitches out. LOL So happy you can run again! πŸ™‚
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Embarrassing Food?

18 Amy July 13, 2011 at 10:08 am

You = awesome.

I think you should get your parents to do a guest-post! That would be so fun!
Amy recently posted..McD’s

19 Megan @ Life as Megan Knows it July 13, 2011 at 10:16 am

I was wondering how you where going to get them out when you mentioned you where getting them out yesterday. Glad you are feeling better πŸ™‚

20 Christine @ BookishlyB July 13, 2011 at 10:26 am

Is it weird that I find stitch removal fun? Dang, I really should have been a doctor!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Books on Your Back- Off With Her Head!

21 Krystina (Organically Me) July 13, 2011 at 10:31 am

This post made me kinda woozy, but I’m glad you’re in running shape again!
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Coconut Curry Tempeh with Coconut Quinoa

22 Courtney July 13, 2011 at 10:33 am

You are brave for running right after your mom removed the stitches! Hah, I probably would have taken another rest day πŸ˜‰ have fun at the beach! πŸ˜€
Courtney recently posted..Work in Progress

23 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 13, 2011 at 10:43 am

Those pancakes are anything but plain!! Happy Stitches-Out Day!
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..Recap: Try Something New Tuesday 65!

24 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

I had pancakes this morning too! Filled with chocolate chips!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Things are looking up

25 Lyns July 13, 2011 at 11:04 am

SO glad your stitches are out!

I don’t mean this in a harsh manner or anything, but you and your siblings need to be using sun protection. Your skin, already damaged from past exposure, will only get worse as you get older. I have so many friends that grew up in the sun and are so regretful that they didn’t protect themselves because it has aged them years! It just looks as if your family might not think about this often enough. I don’t want you to end up looking like Magda from Somthing about Mary.

26 Meghann July 13, 2011 at 11:13 am

Trust me – we are all applying 50 spf and sitting under umbrellas at the beach.

27 Natalie S. July 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

Yay! Congrats on getting your stitches out! When I broke my leg and had to have surgery, the stitches just came out on their own (they were supposed to). It was so gross. They kind of just melted away. Sorry for the TMI. What I mean to say is… yay! Congrats on getting your stitches out! πŸ˜‰
Natalie S. recently posted..red river cafe

28 Hilary July 13, 2011 at 11:33 am

Glad to hear stitch removal went well! I’ve had stitches twice, and it’s always nice to get rid of that pulling sensation when they’re getting tight. Be careful with the training…but enjoy the running, and vacation!
Hilary recently posted..I made this!

29 Annie July 13, 2011 at 11:33 am

I’m glad you can run without pain again!

I, too, have run a snowmobile into a tree on vacation (though I was in Jackson Hole at the time). Did you total yours? I sure did. Lesson learned: slow down when turning while going down hill.

30 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 13, 2011 at 11:38 am

Glad to hear you are a free woman! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!
Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese recently posted..Comfort food.

31 Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 13, 2011 at 11:56 am

WOOT WOOT!! And HOLY SMOKES! Is that the leftover bruise on your knee???? You really did a number on yourself! ouchhhh!
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Tricked Out Taco Pizza

32 Sarah July 13, 2011 at 12:01 pm

No more stitches! Glad to hear you got to go on a run finally. Those pancakes look delicious! I’m a topping girl too. They are my favorite part!
Sarah recently posted..Motivation Station

33 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 13, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Those are some intense pancakes! They look delicious πŸ™‚

Glad everything went well with the stitches!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Nice and Smooth

34 Michaela July 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Damn girl. I can’t believe it’s still so badly bruised! You poor thing.

35 Lauren July 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Glad the stitches are out your back to running. Haha, I love that you document the process. I’m sure the doctor was like WTF as your snapping away while he’s snipping away.
Lauren recently posted..Sex or Boredom?

36 Shell July 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Yuck, next time, can we get a warning that gross pics are ahead? Some of us get queasy easily.

37 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

YAH!! THey’re out! Congrats to that and ON the run. Nice. Have fun kayaking!

38 Hope July 13, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Congrats for the stiches being removed! You are lucky that your mom was able to do it for you!

Those pancakes look so yummy! πŸ™‚
Hope recently posted..Quiet As A Mouse…

39 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 13, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Hooorraaaaayyyyy!!!!!!!

Ah, this whole stitch ordeal has been a real bummer, so glad you’re free of the grasp of those blue threads! (or one thread… I never know how those things work, not a doctor.)
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Nothing’s Right, I’m TORN!

40 Alaina July 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Ooh, that broken wrist makes me cringe. That’s intense to keep skiing through that.

Glad to hear your leg is ok!
Alaina recently posted..Today’s Agenda

41 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Glad the removal and run went well!

42 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees July 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Ouch! I’m impressed!
Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees recently posted..Fruit, fruit, fruit

43 RunningOnCoffee July 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm

glad to hear the stitches came out, that bruise still looks like it could be pretty sore/painful!!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Recap: HM5, Week 3 Training + Week 1 of FitAbs

44 RunningOnCoffee July 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm

PS, Your brother had to get down the mountain somehow! I think I’d ski down too (I’d go slow and probably not use my poles), I don’t know about riding down the mountain on a board behind a Ski Patrol snow mobile!
RunningOnCoffee recently posted..Recap: HM5, Week 3 Training + Week 1 of FitAbs