Bacon Cereal

by Meghann on July 12, 2011

Not cool, rain. Not cool.

We had a batch of dark clouds roll in this morning. Our fingers are crossed this is just a blip on the radar and we’ll be seeing sunshine again before lunch time. πŸ™‚

At least the clouds held off on the downpour long enough to get my walk in this morning. I completed a nice 5k around the island.

Good news! The stitches come out tomorrow! Fingers crossed everything looks good and I can run as soon as they’re out! πŸ™‚

I had a little fun grossing my family out at breakfast this morning, but I PROMISE it was good.

You see that bacon on the side?

I crumbled it on top of the cereal, yogurt, and berries. Sounds weird – tasted amazing. It was a great mix of salty and sweet.

Then my Dad told me he can’t wait to see what my future kids eat one day. I was an odd child with odd tastes and apparently those tastes haven’t gone away.

What kind of eater were you as a kid?

1 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 12, 2011 at 9:54 am

I ate everything as a kid in copious amounts, and that pretty much still holds true. My dad used to tell me that if a guy ever took me out to eat on a first date, I’d never get a second one because he’d be broke and digusted by my eating habits. Luckily, I found someone who loves me for my piggy ways.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Fore!

2 Katy (The Singing Runner) July 12, 2011 at 9:55 am

Hmmm well that’s an interesting combination! πŸ˜‰

When I was younger, I would ALWAYS eat my veggies. Of course I still liked my dessert but I would always finish my veggies. Not many parents can say their children do that. πŸ˜‰
Katy (The Singing Runner) recently posted..One Night In Memphis…

3 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 12, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love salty/sweet but I’m not sure about bacon + cereal!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Three and a Half Years

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 12, 2011 at 10:01 am

Love the salty & sweet combo, I bet that tasted delicious! I was the least picky eater as a kid. I pretty much ate everything and that continues to this day πŸ™‚
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..5 tips for working out on the road

5 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 12, 2011 at 10:03 am

Personally, I think that is a brilliant idea. When I was a little kid, I think I was a pretty compliant eater. Loved my sweets, though. Always have. πŸ™‚
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #21: Sunny Seed at MOBOT

6 Cait's Plate July 12, 2011 at 10:04 am

Haha! Wow – I definitely never would have thought to combine those two things but I bet it actually tastes really good!

I was a GOOD eater as a kid – I think I loved food back then just as much as I do now πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..One Plate Wonder

7 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 12, 2011 at 10:10 am

Actually, that bowl looks really good. I dig the sweet and salty thing.

As a kid, I was a SLOW eater…definitely different from now-a-days, when I can really shovel it in when I want to!
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..Current Obsessions, Part 2

8 Steph @ A Life without Ice Cream July 12, 2011 at 10:12 am

Yeah… that actually looks really yummy. Although I’m game for any excuse for some crispy bacon πŸ˜›

I was a really picky kid. Now I’m the person who tries to get my parents to try things (and have learned where I got my pickiness from) πŸ˜›

9 Casey July 12, 2011 at 10:15 am

Your vacay looks so fun, Meghann!

I still eat cheese balls and chips on my sandwiches. Every sandwich needs a little crunch–even hummus and spinach. πŸ™‚
Casey recently posted..Back Home Again in Indiana …

10 Liz @ IHeartVegetables July 12, 2011 at 10:16 am

Hahaha since I’m a vegetarian, I woudln’t eat this, but I WILL Say that I always think bacon smells good, so I can imagine this would taste good lol. plus its like sweet and salty! Alwaysa good combo!
Liz @ IHeartVegetables recently posted..Sunday Funday Brunch Party

11 Shanna, Like Banana July 12, 2011 at 10:23 am

I used to eat mustard sandwiches..just mustard and bread. And I’d only eat tuna if you called it tuna chicken and not tuna fish.
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Shoes-Day! Red peep-toe repeat

12 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 12, 2011 at 10:28 am

I love sweet and salty, but even I am going to have to agree that that is odd! Haha πŸ™‚

13 Hillary July 12, 2011 at 10:31 am

I actually think that sounds delicious! Haha. I was a carby-kid. Bread all day, every day. Luckily I’ve expanded my palate a bit since then ; )
Hillary recently posted..Nacho Typical Dinner

14 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 12, 2011 at 10:34 am

Not gonna lie, this sounds delicious!
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..The Culinary Maturity of a Five Year Old…

15 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 12, 2011 at 10:44 am

It has bacon on it so it must be good. Bacon is the best!
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Hot Hot Hot

16 Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It July 12, 2011 at 10:53 am

hahaha sounds interesting but slight delish!!
Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It recently posted..SAVING MONEY AND TIME

17 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 12, 2011 at 11:12 am

I was super picky as a child. And THAT does look interesting. hah.

18 Maria July 12, 2011 at 11:13 am

Umm…bacon goes over everything, right? Last night for dinner, I had a green smoothie with a side of bacon. Totally not weird at all, right?

Oh and I’m serving chocolate covered bacon at my wedding. Can’t wait to see how that goes over!
Maria recently posted..Early Morning Workout Challenge Recap

19 Sarah for Real July 12, 2011 at 11:14 am

Ok, that one does actually sound good to me! Bacon goes with everything.

I wasn’t a hugely picky eater, just not into meat really. Still not!

20 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate July 12, 2011 at 11:15 am

I once made bacon pancakes.

OMG they were good. Especially with some maple syrup πŸ˜‰ I love sweet and salty!
Matt @ The Athlete’s Plate recently posted..Five Tips For New Runners

21 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 12, 2011 at 11:23 am

Hehe.. interesting! I was a pretty normal eater as a kid – not overly picky about anything but I insisted that most foods be doused in ketchup… including cheese. Come to think of it.. maybe I wasn’t that normal. πŸ˜›
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..That’s Pinteresting!

22 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 12, 2011 at 11:47 am

I would actually try that with veggie bacon πŸ˜‰ When I was a kid I was a seriously picky eater. I wouldn’t even eat pizza (which I LOVE now). Now, I eat just about everything except meat.
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Strawberry Fields Forever

23 Mimi July 12, 2011 at 11:56 am

Very interesting combination… Not so sure about that one.

I was incredibly picky as a kid. I think I only ate chicken fingers when we went out to eat until I was about 10.

I also had a lot of “rules,” like never eating at a place with dark, plastic cups or vinyl seats or that was attached to a gas station!
Mimi recently posted..A little of this, a little of that

24 Lauren July 12, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I like salty and sweet too — I never would have thought to combine bacon with cereal, but if it works, it works. πŸ™‚

I was obsessed with very ‘un-childlike’ foods when I was younger. For example, I used to request cups full of grated parmesan from my mom when I was about three years old. πŸ™‚ I also really liked mussels. My parents were eating them once, I insisted on trying them, and I developed a taste.

I’d actually say my tastes have gotten less impressive as an adult. Nowadays I seem to like to eat whole avocados with lime for (ridiculously) easy summer meals – not creative or culinary, but yummy.
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

25 Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) July 12, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Haha is it weird I don’t see anything wrong with that bacon addition?

I was a very, very picky eater, and hated all veggies except broccoli and potatoes. It’s so funny how different things are now!
Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) recently posted..A book review: Stephanie Plum series

26 Christine @ BookishlyB July 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I was a child (and an adult) that loved cereal… but hates bacon. Your combo is blasphemous πŸ™‚ I’ve always been fairly picky, but I’d never ask anyone to cook me anything special or go somewhere different (that’s my mom’s influence for ya).
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Authors I’d Die to Meet (and Invite to a Dinner Party)

27 Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 12, 2011 at 12:45 pm

when I was growing up i loved sardines on triscuits. I still do.

28 Margaret July 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I would eat anything as a kid so I’m sure if you put that in front of me… I would have eaten it.
Margaret recently posted..Junk Food Galore!

29 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl July 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Sweet and savory! I don’t think your idea sounds gross at all. I’d totally try it in fact πŸ™‚

As a kid, I was NORMAL. I ate McDonald’s, ice cream and regular food. Now, I eat weird. What can I say? The older I get, the stranger I get πŸ˜‰
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Cupcake Matchmaking

30 karin July 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Hilarious! you definitely get creative with your food!! That stinks about the rain-thats happened to me on my last few vacations!
karin recently posted..Freeing Sisyphus: Jo goes to New York and gets worn out…..Part I

31 Natalie S. July 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Okay… that sounds weird, but I can definitely see how it could be delicious. Kind of like dipping your fries in a shake? I love your bizarre food combos!!! You’ve definitely outdone yourself here πŸ˜‰

I was a very adventurous eater as a kid. There was nothing I said no to. I especially loved the Filipino food I got when we visited my grandparents!

32 Ashley July 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Now I really want to try that. Salty sweet combos are the best.
Ashley recently posted..i caved

33 Krystina (Organically Me) July 12, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I was SUPER picky eater.
Krystina (Organically Me) recently posted..Pasta with Avocado Cream Sauce and Cilantro Oil

34 Freya July 12, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Bacon and cereal?? Oh my!
I was suuuch a picky eater as a kid – I ate honey sandwiches and mac & cheese, and that was it. Then I hated them and lived off Weetabix. The I hated them too, and lived off of chocolate and crisps…I go through phases :p

35 Grace July 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I can see how that could be good..they out bacon in everything these days! Plus salty and sweet is always a great combo! I was a pretty normal kid-I think I mainly subsisted off of chicken nuggets. However my future children will be eating a healthy balanced diet minus the processed foods something I never did:)
Grace recently posted..Home Sweet Home?

36 River July 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm

I love bacon on pancakes with maple syrup. Bacon goes great with sweet things!
River recently posted..Weekend Recap