Pacing with the Siblings

by Meghann on July 11, 2011

Rise and Shine!

It’s swim time!

DSCF6801.JPG

Training for a half ironman on vacation is tough. Who wants to get up early to swim, bike, run when you’re hundreds of miles away from real life and responsibility? Lucky for me, I’m not alone here. My little brother and sister are training for the same race and are just as eager to stick with their training plan as I am.

DSCF6799.JPG

The three of us were up just before 7:00 this morning – ready and eager to tackle a pool workout before breakfast.

DSCF6785.JPG

Originally we all assumed we would be completing open water ocean swims on vacation, but Ben discovered a lap pool our first day here. The lap pool was 25 yds in length and perfect for getting a few swim workouts in on the island.

DSCF6793.JPG

I’ve done plenty of open water swims with my brother and sister at Lucky Lake, but this was our first time hitting the lap pool together. They’re swimming newbies (like me), but haven’t had the benefits of a Courtney to teach them the swimming lingo (I <3 Courtney!). I was happy to pass along any – and all knowledge – I’ve gained in the past few weeks.

DSCF6805.JPG

I took them through an abbreviated pace swim workout and adjusted the times according to their average 100 pace. Ben’s times below are based on a 1:40 average, Kelly’s are based on 1:50, and I’m based on 2:00.

Warm Up

• 250 yds Easy
  • 100 yds Pace Test (to see what times to create the workout around)

Main Set

• 3 x 100 @ B: 2:10 K: 2:20 M: 2:30
  • 3 x 100 @ B: 2:00 K: 2:10 M: 2:20
  • 3 x 100 @ B: 1:50 K: 2:00 M: 2:10

Cool Down

• 5 x 50 @ B:1:00 K: 1:10 M: 1:15

Total: 1500 yds

DSCF6795.JPG

They were fans of the workout. At the start Kelly gave me a ‘this sounds too easy’ look, but by the end both her and Ben were huffing and puffing. The workout also taught them to focus on pace instead of just speed, which will help us from going out too bad in September.

DSCF6800.JPG

We headed back to the house after our swim, where breakfast was being dutifully prepared by the greatest Dad in the world.

I made a plate of his world famous biscuits and sausage gravy, a scrambled egg, cherries, and strawberries.

I also taught Kelly how to make sausage gravy using veggie sausage, but you’re going to have to check out her blog tomorrow for the step-by-steps. It’s easy – I promise. πŸ™‚

We have more plans to hit the beach this morning. It’s another beautiful day full of blue skies and calm waters. I <3 vacation!

1 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 11, 2011 at 10:05 am

Your dad’s cooking is just too good! He may be taking applications for new children soon. πŸ˜‰
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #21: Sunny Seed at MOBOT

2 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 11, 2011 at 10:05 am

That’s so awesome that you have your brother and sister to motivate you while on vacation. Biscuits and gravy sound soooo good right now!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Bikkuri

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 11, 2011 at 10:06 am

That’s awesome that you’ve got 2 dedicated training buddies! Looks like you guys are having a blast so far and are well on your way to being super strong swimmers. Have a great day! πŸ™‚
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat recently posted..A great act for a great friend!

4 Natalie @ Will Jog For Food July 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

So cool that your bro & sis can work out with you!

I want some of those biscuits & gravy too! YUM πŸ™‚
Natalie @ Will Jog For Food recently posted..Food Fact Friday: Buffalo Baby

5 michelle July 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

I think if I were on vacation right now I would feel lazy. Lucky that you have 2 people to motivate you and get the job done
michelle recently posted..19 Days!

6 Mary July 11, 2011 at 10:08 am

that’s awesome you have a lap pool on the island!!
Mary recently posted..How I Handle Hot Weather Running

7 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 11, 2011 at 10:13 am

I love biscuits and gravy! It is easily one of my favorite meals ever.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Table Topics

8 Shannon @ Mon Amour July 11, 2011 at 10:13 am

Pace workouts are so much fun, I think! They can become pretty challenging when you increase your speed and reps, but I really enjoy the challenge.

Have a great time on vacation!
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Total Body Transformation

9 Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It July 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

I kinda love pace workouts.. Although I rarely swim I would love to try it.. I guess it’s harder in the city than in FL though πŸ™
Megan @ Life As Megan KNows It recently posted..Mexico Recap

10 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots July 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

Your underwater pictures rock!
And it is so awesome to have training partners on vacation. I would have never gotten up and done that. πŸ˜›
Cassie @ Back to Her Roots recently posted..monday motivation: growth

11 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 11, 2011 at 10:48 am

Dad’s are the best at biscuit making! My dad’s rock.

So cool getting to do a swim workout with your bro + sis. Sounds fun!

12 Danielle C. July 11, 2011 at 11:15 am

YUM YUM! I can’t wait for that veggie sausage gravy recipe. Those biscuits look like heavenly little pillows.
Danielle C. recently posted..danielleruns: Great weekend! Always good to run with a good friend, and then napping by the pool in the sun all afternoon! Lots of great company.

13 katieRUNSthis July 11, 2011 at 11:36 am

How fun! And how diligent of you to get in your workouts on vacation. It is SO hard for me to want to work out on vacation. I do, however, enjoy running on the beach, so that part doesn’t require as much mental coaxing. I am sure that having your brother and sister there to help push you makes it easier as well. My husband enjoys running, but much more casually than I do. I can assure you that he WOULD NOT be down for an early morning vacation run. πŸ™‚

You are right about the pace swims. I’m currently training for a triathlon at the end of the month (which, at 26 weeks pregnant by then, should be interesting). In addition to doing pace/speed drills, I’m also doing drills with the kick board and pull buoy. Lastly, I’ve been working on board-/buoy-less drills like side swimming, catch-up strokes, etc.

Good luck on your training! Keep rocking it!
katieRUNSthis recently posted..2011 San Fermin en Nueva Orleans

14 Grace July 11, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Ooo I’m excited for sausage gravy post on Kelly’s blog tomorrow! I loved it but now I’m a vegetarian-so that’s perfect!
Grace recently posted..Home Sweet Home?

15 Army Amy* July 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm

It’s great when work outs become a family affair! Not long after I started running races, my mom got into it, too. She’s a walker, but it’s nice to have her to go to races with. (Esp now that my husand is deployed, she has really helped fill that gap.) I’ve been trying to get my siblings in on the act, but they are a little more reluctant.*

16 karin July 11, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Way to go on getting that workout in…siblings are the best and it seems like you really do have “the best dad ever”
karin recently posted..Little Women, Braxton Family Values and Embracing your Role

17 Hillary July 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You are so lucky to have your siblings there to support you in your training! What an awesome built-in support system to keep you on track.

Oh, and those biscuits are making me drool. Just sayin’. ; )
Hillary recently posted..Christmas (in July) Cookies

18 katie July 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm

awesome that you Kelly, and your bother can train together, and swimming is a hell of a work out!

Your dad is awesome! Mr. Breakfast should be his nickname!
katie recently posted..It’s Monday and {cookie } yum

19 Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 11, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I flipping love love love sausage gravy over biscuits. I could eat it every day. ESPECIALLY, if it’s made with spicy sausage.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Life’s a Beach and Then You Eat.

20 kalli July 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm

love that your siblings are such a motivation for you! go team family….now enjoy the rest of your day knowing you got a good workout in first thing in the morning.
kalli recently posted..I hit the jackpot

21 Lauren July 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

So nice that you can train with your brother and sister! I seem to always be training for something when I’m on vacation (impeccable timing, Lauren), and it’s definitely challenging to motivate yourself to train at 100% when you’re away from home and ‘real life.’ It’s great that you’re all participating in the same race – really encouraging!
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

22 Hope July 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Breakfast looks yummy! πŸ™‚ So fun to work out with your sibilings. I’m sure it’s great motivation!
Hope recently posted..A Barbecue Chicken Pizza Kind of Night…

23 Bobbi July 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm

started my HIM training getting so excited! Question for you when you say
3 x 100…is that 12 laps 3 times? Still trying to figure swim workouts out!
Bobbi recently posted..How Does Your Garden Grow? Part III

24 Meghann July 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Read this post. It might make more sense πŸ˜‰ http://mealsandmiles.com/2011/06/06/him-training-pace-swim/

25 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit July 11, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Love the underwater camera!! I need to get one of those.
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Flashback Friday: Pittsburgh Wedding Venues

26 Whitney @ My Life.My Heart. My Journey. July 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Yum Yum! That breakfast looks delish!
Whitney @ My Life.My Heart. My Journey. recently posted..Back to the Grind

27 Amy July 11, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Each time your Dad cooks his breakfasts, I have food envy — bigtime.
Amy recently posted..Stuff That’s Annoying (Summer Edition)

28 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm

HOW cool that you get to have a bro and sista with ya in the training!? Lucky πŸ™‚ tell them how amazing they are (and you are) to have each other!!

Have fun at the beach πŸ™‚
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..BodyPUMP Release 78 Review

29 Carissa July 11, 2011 at 3:00 pm

It’s awesome that you have such a fit, fun family! I think that makes such a difference in overall wellness. My husband is my workout/running partner and I’ve done a few races with my sister in law. With…not at the same time…she is WAY faster than me!
Carissa recently posted..High Intensity Strength Training

30 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Good for you, swimming before breakfast! I can’t even shower before breakfast due to the fact that I’m usually so famished– so that’s really saying something πŸ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Coffee Talk: Nutritional Tidbits