Beach, Pool, Beach

by Meghann on July 10, 2011

Today was a beach day.

We set up shop at one of the many secluded beaches on the little island. It was a beautiful sunny morning without a cloud in the sky.

The boys took to the water with fishing poles and the girls stayed in the sand with their books.

I picked up the novel ‘One Day’ the day before we left. The beginning is painfully slow, but I’m hoping it will pick up as it goes on. The movie preview was what originally caught my attention. I’m usually a big fan of anything Anne Hathaway attaches her name to, so I’ve got high hopes for this one. πŸ™‚

Beach snack

Swim time!

They call me power lungs. πŸ™‚

Isn’t Derek cute in my hat? πŸ˜‰

The dogs took advantage of their beachside freedom. They chased balls, jumped in the waves, and ran circles around each other. Tired pups are happy pups. πŸ™‚

Even Maddie found herself jumping the waves with Scooby and Oliver . She was one brave little lady!

IMG_1205.JPG IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1195.jpg

We broke for lunch around noon and I made myself a Grilled Hummus and Cheese Sandwich with a pickle, carrot sticks, chips, and dip.

Left over birthday for dessert.

Yum. πŸ™‚

A beach morning turned into a poolside afternoon.

Umm.. yeah… totally fell asleep on the pool float. Only thing missing was a Corona in hand.

I made a plate of pretzels with mustard as a mid-afternoon snack.

We headed to what we call the ‘ Dolphin Beach’ for some late afternoon fishing.

IMG_1238.jpg IMG_1239.jpg IMG_1242.jpg

I found the Sam Adams’ Summer Ale particularly refreshing in this position.

Tired puppies.

IMG_8710.JPG IMG_8711.JPG IMG_8713.JPG

Gotta say, having a meal plan already in place for the week makes meals times so easy. Instead of pulling together what-ever we have, we just look at the schedule and know Fajitas are on the menu.

Screen shot 2011-07-10 at 9.01.50 PM.png

It was a team effort in the kitchen too. Kelly, Dad, and I prepped the veggies, marinated the chicken, and cooked it all up while everyone else showered.

I had one fajita with chicken, veggies, and cheese with a side of rice and beans.

One of the big goals for our week long meal plan was selecting items that would be crowd pleasing for a picky bunch. The ‘build you own’ fajita bar worked out great. We cooked the veggies separately for my vegetarian sister and the boys could load up on as much meat as they wanted. It was a win.

After dinner we broke out the wine.

Happy Vacation to us!

IMG_8734.JPG IMG_8735.jpg

And the card games.

Dutch Blitz is AWESOME! If you like Uno or Speed – go. get it. now. πŸ˜‰

Dessert!

I know some people like to party hard on vacation, but I like to take the opposite approach. 2:00am bed time? No, thank you. 10:00pm bed time? Yes, please.

Good Night!

1 Grace July 10, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I love your family vacation…it sounds just like my speed! Except somehow I never get to bed by 10=/ Even if I want to!
Grace recently posted..Home Sweet Home?

2 Ashley July 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm

ahh that looks awesome! I need a beach and pool in my life ASAP
Ashley recently posted..Friday Favorites

3 Marissa July 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I think this would be a great place for a vacation!!! I’ll have to look into it for sure.

4 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I love your hat! My head is freaky big, so I can never find pretty hats that fit πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Goes Together Like Peanut Butter and Honey

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I really like the meal plan idea. My family goes to NC every year to our beach house there and a meal plan would elminate a lot of food decisions and multiple grocery store trips, I think I’m implementing that this year!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..The good and the bad

6 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 10, 2011 at 10:30 pm

The beach looks wonderful! This makes me want to get my whole family to rent a house for a week (or even just a weekend) — I miss spending time with them all.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Strawberry Cucumber Salad

7 Maria July 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I love living vicariously through your vacation…and counting down the days to my own! Your family vacations exactly how ours does: beach + fishing, pool, beach, Dutch Blitz!
Maria recently posted..Chicken and Broccoli Take In

8 Bee Goes Bananas July 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm

What a beautiful day! It looks like you guys had a great time!
Bee Goes Bananas recently posted..The Day Off

9 Beth July 10, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I absolutely loved One Day! I can’t remember if I thought it was slow in the beginning, but all I know is that it is a fabulous book and really makes you feel something as a reader. Totally didn’t know it is coming out in theaters and I am really interested to see how it translates on film. Enjoy!

10 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I don’t think I would’ve been able to make cookies with that cookie dough before I inhaled the entire tub… just saying πŸ˜‰
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..No Chili For Me

11 Tyly July 10, 2011 at 10:51 pm

One Day does pick up! I was worried about not wanting to finish it, but give it a bit. It starts out very slowly, but it gets better! πŸ™‚

Love reading all about your vacation!
Tyly recently posted..quality food costs!

12 Sam @ Mom At The Barre July 10, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I thought ‘One Day’ was one of the best books I read last year, and am so looking forward to the movie. It does start off slow but give it a shot. I hope you like it!
Sam @ Mom At The Barre recently posted..What is your All-Time Favorite Book?

13 Hilary July 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Mmmm…food looks delicious…and looks totally relaxing and SO MUCH FUN! I want a beach vacation!
Hilary recently posted..Sides Show

14 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 10, 2011 at 11:02 pm

So I am wondering, Sam Adams vs. Shock Top, do you have a preference? Or should I let the week progress before you tell me? πŸ˜‰
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Snacks that are not Sunny Seeds but are still Very Good #10

15 Meghann July 11, 2011 at 6:53 am

Right now I’m leaning towards shock top πŸ™‚

16 Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories July 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

Haha good choice! I got to work with the brand a little bit in business school, and now I’m weirdly loyal to it. Guess they got me drinking the kool aid–er, beer. πŸ™‚
Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories recently posted..Sunny Seed Story #21: Sunny Seed at MOBOT

17 Danielle Dillard July 10, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I bet it’s so fun to do family vacation all together, with boyfriends/fiances and pups in tow!!
Danielle Dillard recently posted..18-Mile Ride and Going Gluten-Free

18 grace b July 10, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I’m reading One Day right now and loving it. I think that the movie will be different than the book. I have about 100 pages left and am really enjoying the depth of the characters and the Britishness!

19 Amy* July 10, 2011 at 11:25 pm

The digs look like they are in Heaven! I esp like the picture of your mom and Maddie. Too cute!*
Amy* recently posted..Month-a-versary

20 Reenie July 11, 2011 at 12:17 am

Looks fun and relaxing. Those are some pooped pups!! πŸ™‚

21 Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers July 11, 2011 at 1:33 am

I read One Day last summer and I liked it. I agree that it is a little slow at first, but it gets better! The whole time I was reading it I was thinking, “Do I like this? I kind of like it…” But then looking back at the whole story I can say I truly enjoyed it. I’m looking forward to the movie; hopefully the actors live up to the characters in my mind. πŸ˜‰
Amber @ Stop and Smell the Wildflowers recently posted..What I’m Lovin’ this Summer

22 Sally Kate July 11, 2011 at 2:33 am

my jack russell, winnie. HATES the water. she doesn’t like lakes, streams, ocean, or even baths. i wish she liked it- it’s such great exercise and would be an easy way to wear out some of that energy of hers!!
Sally Kate recently posted..what to do with all that extra produce…

23 Jessi @ Quirky Cookery July 11, 2011 at 2:49 am

Haha, he looks AWESOME in your hat. Silly guys are the best….and ones that’ll let you take pictures and show them to thousands of people? Yeah, you’ve got a keeper, hehe.
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery recently posted..Zucchini pizza appetizers – Who needs a crust?

24 Samantha July 11, 2011 at 6:10 am

I just read ‘One Day’ about 2 weeks ago! I thought it was quite slow too even given the set up of it! Give it a chance, its definitely an interesting story. I’m interested to see what you think once you finish it!

And, your vacation looks perfectly relaxing!
Samantha recently posted..Sand Handball

25 Lauren July 11, 2011 at 6:52 am

This vacation sounds perfect! Your family definitely knows how to enjoy a relaxing getaway. Glad you guys are having a great time.
Lauren recently posted..Celebrate Life and Love

26 Hillary July 11, 2011 at 7:38 am

Your vaca is making me very, very jealous!

And One Day is a great book—until the ending. The ending made me want to throw the book across the room. Just a heads up ; )
Hillary recently posted..Christmas (in July) Cookies

27 Megan July 11, 2011 at 7:40 am

Divine day!!
Megan recently posted..ah, the sweet cacophony of tantrums.

28 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 11, 2011 at 7:58 am

At one time vacations were definitely for partying. Now I’m more excited if they’re all about relaxing!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Bikkuri

29 Hope July 11, 2011 at 8:17 am

What a fun and relaxing day! πŸ™‚ Lounging in the pool looks like the perfect vacation to me!
Hope recently posted..A Barbecue Chicken Pizza Kind of Night…

30 Amanda @ JustAmandaJ July 11, 2011 at 8:26 am

I love that all your dogs are so well behaved! Mine wouldn’t last one second off her leash πŸ™ The rice and beans look super yummy! Did you guys make the rice or was it packaged?
Amanda @ JustAmandaJ recently posted..Change of Plans

31 Elizabeth July 11, 2011 at 8:29 am

Man I’m I jealous reading this post right before I head off to work… WaWa. My Fiance and I went to the beach yesterday and it is killer hot here in Fort Lauderdale. are you dying out there yet?

32 Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 11, 2011 at 8:39 am

I just keep getting more and more jealous of your vacation every day. I didn’t even think it was possible to get more jealous of it.

Your dogs are just TOO adorable! They are absolutely living the LIFE right now. My three dogs would be in heaven there.
Hayley @ Hayley Daily recently posted..This cannot be ignored.

33 Kim July 11, 2011 at 9:05 am

Meghann, what are the sleeping arrangements for your clan on vacation? I’m guessing with 3 bedrooms, it’s all the girls in one room and all the boys in another? Do you and Derek sleep together at your parents’ house? I mean all of your siblings DO live with their significant others….

34 Cait's Plate July 11, 2011 at 9:29 am

Gah! I’m so jealous of this vacation!! It’s seriously have every thing – good food, pool, beach, great company πŸ™‚
Cait’s Plate recently posted..A Monday Sundae

35 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 11, 2011 at 9:32 am

That place looks amazing! Love the doggie photos! It looks like everyone is having a great time πŸ™‚
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Making Progress

36 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. July 11, 2011 at 9:42 am

I was just looking at that book at Barnes and Noble yesterday! Can’t wait to hear what you think after you finish!
mindy @ just a one girl revolution. recently posted..lots of family time.

37 Danielle C. July 11, 2011 at 10:16 am

Aww looks like my kinda day! I’m right there with you on the ‘normal’ bedtime while on vacation. IMHO the BEST part of vacation is feeling well rested and healthy. Speaking of which, I really need a vacation. LOL
Danielle C. recently posted..danielleruns: Great weekend! Always good to run with a good friend, and then napping by the pool in the sun all afternoon! Lots of great company.

38 Christie July 11, 2011 at 10:28 am

This looks like such a utopian vacation!! I’m living only slightly vicariously through you. One of my coworkers, by the way, was talking about One Day… and by talking about it, I mean she was RAVING about it! So it’s bound to get better soon!
Christie recently posted..Bill Clinton, Jake Gyllenhaal and Carrots n Cake… oh yeah, and Icelandic Deliciousness

39 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 11, 2011 at 10:37 am

That looks like such a fun weekend! Beach, pool, good company, healthy eats, and cold beer – what could be better?
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..July Workout

40 Caitlin in MD July 11, 2011 at 11:43 am

Your little brother is HOT! πŸ˜‰

41 Cait @ Cait hates Cake July 11, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Grilled hummus and cheese? Yes, please!!

42 Hilary July 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I always go to bed early on vacations! More time to seize the day.

43 Lauren July 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Looks like a perfect day! And how freaking cute are all the dogs?! Adorable pictures!
Lauren recently posted..Run in the New Year

44 Aleyta July 11, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I agree- early to bed and you wake up with a full, exciting (not sleepy) day ahead of you! Love your hat1
Aleyta recently posted..recent purchases and reviews

45 Katie July 11, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I read One Day last year and I think it might be one of my favorite books. I just loved how unique the story line is…checking in with two people on the same day every year. I was worried at first that as the reader we would miss out on key events but I think the author does a great job of making sure that doesn’t happen. Please stick with it — best book ever!

46 Sami July 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm

my family and i LOVE dutch blitz!! (: enjoy vacation, lady

xo.
Sami recently posted..Sidewalk Prophets

47 Katie July 11, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I come back from vacation rested, mainly because I do the same as you. Maybe a beer in the afternoon, maybe some wine with dinner, but always bed early! Yay!!

48 Bella July 11, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Looks like a satisfying book! I really do hope it picks up for you because I was planning on reading it at some point haha. As for those cookies. I want one!
Bella recently posted..Pheobe In Wonderland, Aprons for belts, and why I am not out!

49 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted July 12, 2011 at 7:02 pm

This looks glorious! My family is much to small but we need to go on a group vacation with friends or something!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..Father’s Day Sunday and Adopting Cats

50 Karolina July 13, 2011 at 1:46 am

It looks like you are having a really wonderful vacation so far! Your day looked very similar to mine today:)
Karolina recently posted..How You Think When You Lose