Back in the Saddle

by Meghann on July 9, 2011

Success!

2 hours.

30 miles. <– a new cycling PDR!!

0 accidents.

1 Happy Meghann.

How does the saying go? If you fall off the horse, just hop right back on? Because that’s exactly what I did. I wasn’t going to let one little bike collision scare me away from training.

I was up at 5:30am this morning and was happy to find a few other friends on twitter gearing up for their own training runs/ rides, as well as skies so clear I could see stars. Nothing like virtual training partners and the good omen of no clouds to lift my early morning spirits. πŸ™‚

I fueled up with a bagel thin with chocolate peanut butter and blackberry jam before hitting the road.

The ride was [thankfully] uneventful. I went out 15 miles and hit just a smidge of rain before turning around and heading back.

Going out was great. I was riding with the wind and definitely cruising along. Turning around was another issue. All the wind I was enjoying on the way out suddenly became my arch nemesis. My pace slowed one or two miles per hour and I could definitely feel the burn.

The knee held up great! My only complaint was how itchy the stitches were, but I would have been complaining about that – ride or not. πŸ™‚

IMG_1100.jpg

It’s looking good – right? I’ve been told the rainbow of colors means it’s healing. πŸ™‚

I came home from the ride and quickly made Derek and I a big batch of smoothies.

In the blender:

• Frozen Cherries
  • 1 Peach
  • Ice
  • Chocolate Whey Protein (Whole Foods Brand)
  • Xanthum Gum (Found in the baking aisle of Whole Foods)
  • Honey Almond Butter (too sweet to eat plain, but works in a smoothie)

On top:

• Uncle Sam’s Strawberry Cereal
  • Life Cereal (Shhhh…. it may be the only cereal from Derek’s stash I actually like and continue to secretly steal behind his back. πŸ˜‰ )

I think smoothies are reigning supreme as my favorite post-workout breakfast. πŸ™‚

We’re loading up the car now and heading down south for a week at the beach. It’s vacation, but technically I’ll still be working (no way am I putting up an out of office message with the Healthy Living Summit a month away!!!). However, if I’m a bit slow at responding to e-mail please understand why. I <3 you all and promise will respond to them in the week following.

We’re actually heading to the same amazing beach spot we hit last year. Here’s a recap of last year’s shenanigans with a sample of what to expect this year.

Captiva Island – June 2010 – Family Vacation

Adios!

1 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 9, 2011 at 11:18 am

mmm that smoothie looks like the perfect post ride meal!
Enjoy your vacation down south, you deserve it. I hope you’re hitting up Miami beach because its pretty beautiful this time of year!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Tani Thai Restaurant Review

2 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 9, 2011 at 11:22 am

Have fun at the beach! Congrats on a new PDR πŸ™‚
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..And On the Seventh Day, She Rested

3 Christine @ BookishlyB July 9, 2011 at 11:23 am

I need to start riding (that is, after I get a bike and practice riding). I’m a little burnt out on running and I know it would be kinder to my body.

4 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 9, 2011 at 11:23 am

Great job!!! I fell on my bike yesterday and thought of you. Luckily, I didn’t have to get any stitches or anything. πŸ™‚
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..The Great Fundraising Act

5 Cait's Plate July 9, 2011 at 11:25 am

Woohoo! Glad it was a success πŸ™‚

And I totally would’ve stolen some Life Cereal as well, it’s soo good! πŸ˜‰
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Sunny Side Up

6 Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open July 9, 2011 at 11:29 am

Congrats on a new PDR! I’ve been wanting to get a bike forever. Not so sure about collision insurance though. πŸ˜‰ Have fun at the beach!
Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open recently posted..A Makeover for CWYMO

7 Jeni @ stepping out July 9, 2011 at 11:42 am

I completed my first long run of marathon training (my first ever!) and had a smoothie for breakfast…amazing!
Jeni @ stepping out recently posted..3000 in 35: One week in and an explanation

8 Meghann July 9, 2011 at 11:55 am

Woo hoo!! Congrats girl!

9 Hillary July 9, 2011 at 11:58 am

I totally thought you RAN 30 miles in 2 hours when I first saw that shot. I nearly passed out from disbelief! Haha. Oh, man.

Have a great time!
Hillary recently posted..To Train, Or Not To Train?

10 Lauren July 9, 2011 at 12:11 pm

So glad to hear you are back out there riding again. True sign of a triathlete right there girl!
Lauren recently posted..Blame It On The Rain

11 Emily @ Savory and Savage July 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm

That smoothie looks so refreshing!

Congrats on getting back to biking πŸ™‚
Emily @ Savory and Savage recently posted..Stuffed shells with broccoli and gruyere

12 Karin July 9, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Congrats on a beautiful ride! Itching sucks… This splint is driving me crazy itching. Not sure if you saw or not bc I don’t think you follow me on twitter but I found out I have to have surgery…. So crazy. Can’t believe it was a week ago that I headed out for my 30 mile ride + run… Now it will be 6 weeks before I ride again
Karin recently posted..β€œI get by with a little help from my friends”

13 Cassie @ Back to Her Roots July 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I LOVE Life cereal. One of my favorites. And Kix too! πŸ˜€
Cassie @ Back to Her Roots recently posted..future marathoner?

14 Carolina @ Peas in a Blog July 9, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Yay for having a good ride! Your leg does look like it’s healing, it’ll be back to normal before you know it πŸ™‚
Carolina @ Peas in a Blog recently posted..Burger & Chips.

15 Ashlyn July 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Do you all get paid well for HLS?!

16 Meghann July 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Haha the short answer is no

17 Ashlyn July 9, 2011 at 1:34 pm

but there’s a profit right?

18 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes July 9, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Have an awesome vacation!!!! You earned it πŸ™‚
P.S. When I first looked at the post I thought your garmin was measuring a run…I almost had a heart attack!!!!
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..Mow the Lawn!!!

19 Katie @ Life... Discombobulated July 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Have an absolutely wonderful time in Captiva! Sanibel Island is seriously one of my favorite places on earth!!!!! πŸ™‚
Katie @ Life… Discombobulated recently posted..Last Minute Plans

20 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm

yah!! Nice job on the ride, I bet that felt amazing πŸ™‚ Have a fun vacay!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..β€˜Course Nutrition

21 Shannon @ Mon Amour July 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Awesome ride! Have a wonderful time on vacation!
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Total Body Transformation

22 Dione July 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Have a fun trip!
Dione recently posted..he’s baaack

23 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 9, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I just got to Tampa and you left! haha Enjoy your vacation, that place looked so nice last year. Jealous!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Just another manic Saturday

24 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 9, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Great job on your bike ride!!! 30 miles is amazing!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Milkshakes Make Me Smile

25 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 9, 2011 at 7:43 pm

So glad you’re back in the saddle!

Hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation I can’t wait to read all about it! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..The Casey Anthony Trial and Verdict: What It Means To You

26 shelby July 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I was reading your post today as I was driving home from North Captiva! Have a blast!

27 RunEatRepeat July 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Travel posts are my fave. Now I’m going to spend hours re-reading all those posts!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Run 15 Miles Eat 15 Pancakes

28 Yayaniyoyo July 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm

The smoothie looks delicious! I am addicted to smoothie myself. I badly need to hit the gym or go for a run after looking at your pictures!
Yayaniyoyo recently posted..Good First Date Ideas

29 Sally Kate July 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

i want a bike so bad, everyone i know is training for some sort of triathalon or century bike ride and i’m sitting here with a single speed cruiser bike. it’s purple. atleast i look good riding to class on it πŸ™‚
Sally Kate recently posted..grocery shopping on a budget without having to eat ramen, produce edition