Work With What You’ve Got

by Meghann on July 8, 2011

This is what an empty fridge looks like the day a blogger leaves for vacation.

IMG_1065.jpg

Lots of random sauces, jams, and salsas – not a lot of much else.

However, I did uncover one or two things I thought I could make a meal out of.

• Seitan
  • 3 Carrots
  • 1/4 Eggplant
  • 1/4 yellow onion
  • 1/2 a bag of Radishes
  • maybe 1/2 cup of Hummus
  • a tablespoon or 2 of Feta cheese

I chopped it all up, added it to a pan, and heated it through until the veggies were soft.

The remainder of the hummus acted as the sauce.

Not going to lie – it wasn’t pretty. And when I told Derek this, he replied with ‘I don’t care. You know I’ll eat it anyways.’ <3 him. 🙂

I served my portion in a tortilla with a sprinkle of feta cheese on top. It may have looked bad, but I promise it tasted good. 🙂

I ended up purchasing a Chocolate Coconut Muffin from Viitals for an afternoon snack

And brought home two cupcakes for dessert.

Only, they didn’t warn me to keep it cold, so the icing melted while sitting on the counter.

Still tasty. The icing was a dark espresso chocolate – it was rich, fudgy, and delicious.

Time to get back to packing!

We leave for the beach in the morning!

1 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 8, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Have fun on vacation! I love eating through my fridge before a trip 🙂
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Bike Friendly

2 Dori July 8, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Cupcakes look so good! Also, that is what my fridge always looks like. Safe travels!
Dori recently posted..I Am Really Excited About Everything in the Month of July

3 Lauren (Neeps and Taters) July 8, 2011 at 10:59 pm

That cupcake looks delicious!

Have a fun trip!
Lauren (Neeps and Taters) recently posted..sun and fun

4 candice July 8, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Have fun!! I need to get packin.. we leave in the am also for kaui! procrastination station right here.. ha!
candice recently posted..baby love.

5 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 8, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Hummus will always count as a legitimate sauce for any dish 😉
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..20 Minute Elliptical Hill Climb Workout

6 Sam @ Mom At The Barre July 8, 2011 at 11:23 pm

I’m amazed at how clean your fridge looks! Note to self: I really should clean the inside of my fridge more often. Love how you improvised with what little ingredients you had left.
Have a great trip!
Sam @ Mom At The Barre recently posted..Core Fusion Cardio at Exhale Spa: A Review

7 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 8, 2011 at 11:24 pm

WOOO BEACH!!! Hummus is the best. sauce. ever. I eat it out of a bowl, on salads, on anything basically.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Skinny Dipping.

8 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Have fun at the beach!
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Bowl of Bacon

9 Karin July 8, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Enjoy the beach!
Karin recently posted..“I get by with a little help from my friends”

10 Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 9, 2011 at 12:17 am

Sometimes the ugliest meals taste the BEST!
And I’m off to the beach too on Sunday.. cannot WAIT!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Sick, Again.

11 Sana July 9, 2011 at 2:45 am

Enjoy the beachh!
Sana recently posted..Reddddddddd Robinnn

12 Mary July 9, 2011 at 5:54 am

Have fun on vaycay! 🙂
Mary recently posted..Three Fails and the Silver Lining

13 Lauren July 9, 2011 at 6:33 am

Girl, you are the QUEEN of working with what you’ve got. I think you should go on Iron Chef. You would rock it!
Lauren recently posted..Blame It On The Rain

14 Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) July 9, 2011 at 7:40 am

That is how our fridge SHOULD look considering we are in the process of moving! I’m dreading having to pack our fridge and freezer!

Lots of our meals DO look like that, however! I find these ‘random’ meals to be some of the tastiest!
Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) recently posted..Moving Sucks and Simple Summer Guacamole

15 Cait's Plate July 9, 2011 at 7:40 am

One of my favorite things about your blog is that I love how creative you are with food! I never would’ve thought to make that with those ingredients but it looks absolutely amazing 🙂

Enjoy the beach – so jealous!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Sunny Side Up

16 Laura (A Swiss-American Life) July 9, 2011 at 8:11 am

Wow – you’re definitely resourceful with food! I can’t say that I would have been able to come up with a meal like that – not creative enough! Anyway, came across your blog when visiting PBFingers and saw you three bloggers on Swimmer Joe’s webisode! Good luck with the half Ironman – there is actually a full Ironman going on right now where I live (Zurich, Switzerland). Wanted to go out and cheer them on, but then couldn’t get out of bed :/!

17 Meghann July 9, 2011 at 11:44 am

A full ironman in Switzerland?!? So cool! I can understand not wanting to get out of bed so early, but I would have found a way to get out there! 🙂

18 Hillary July 9, 2011 at 8:33 am

Sometimes the most disgusting looking meals are the ones that taste the best. Well done!
Hillary recently posted..To Train, Or Not To Train?

19 Margo @ Peanut Butter Trees July 9, 2011 at 8:39 am

Awesome looking cupcakes – have a great vacation!

20 Laura @ Backstage Pass July 9, 2011 at 9:16 am

Your creation is impressive and sounds kinda tasty!
Have a blast on your beach vacation. I could really use one right around now!
Laura @ Backstage Pass recently posted..Sound Bites 7/07: New songs from Mumford and Sons

21 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 9, 2011 at 9:42 am

Cleaning out the fridge before a trip is like a game, I kinda love the challenge. Have a great vacation!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Just another manic Saturday

22 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers July 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

Ah, I hate that time when my cupboards are bare, but it always results in the most glorious random meals! And the most random pairings can often turn into new favorite foods.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Women and Chick Beer vs. Craft Beer: A Response

23 Carissa July 9, 2011 at 10:23 am

mmmm those cupcakes look divine!

Have a great beach trip!
Carissa recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Meatball

24 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 9, 2011 at 10:49 am

Have a great trip!! Way to use up the last of the groceries!
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..Eating in: BLT pasta

25 Cara July 9, 2011 at 10:50 am

That dinner actually looks great! I love just throwing things together like that! Have an awesome vacation!!!

26 Ashley @ the fit academic July 9, 2011 at 10:50 am

Hey – go you! The night before my vacations I usually pick up take-out (or have delivery, even) while I’m frantically doing laundry, packing bags, and trying to clean up the house a little. Yep – I’m last-minute-packer-girl : )
Ashley @ the fit academic recently posted..Weekend Recap–Part III, Daily Happenings

27 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 9, 2011 at 2:03 pm

oh have fun!!! yeah for vacay 🙂
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..‘Course Nutrition

28 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 9, 2011 at 7:42 pm

For your next meal have eggs and sriarcha! I highly recommend it!
Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble recently posted..{Gluten-Free} Banana Nugget Cookies