Rain, Rain Go Away

by Meghann on July 8, 2011

Not something you want to wake up to when you have a 35 mile bike ride planned.

Screen shot 2011-07-08 at 9.17.16 AM.png

Bummer.

It was pouring when my alarm went off at 5:30 and the forecast called for rain for the remainder of the day. Tomorrow looks better, so I postponed my bike ride until then and headed to the gym instead.

I had hoped to run, but, again, I was not even 3 steps in and knew it wasn’t going to happen. It felt as if i was pulling the stitches out of my knee with each jaunt – not good. I’m almost ready throw in the towel on running until my stitches are out on the 13th. Boo.:(

At least walking doesn’t hurt. I set the pace to 4.0, amped up the incline to 5.5, and caught up on headlines with the Today Show on the treadmill. (Anyone else not buying octomom’s statement that she runs 50 miles a week?)

After 45 minutes of walking, I headed to the weights to finish my ‘Special Workouts’ for the first stage of the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

At the end of each stage in the NROLFW plan there are ‘special workouts’ where you go back to the weight you started with and complete as many reps as possible. This is a test to show you how far you’ve come since day one.

You’re suppose to do one set of each workout and complete each workouts on separate days. Since I’ve had such a weird week and skipped the first special workout on Monday, I sort of cheated and completed both sets today.

I started with Special Workout A, then immediately followed with Special Workout B. Since it’s only one set of each workout, it wasn’t that bad. It was really quick and I was in and out with weight.

With the special workouts behind me I have officially completed Stage 1. I’ll post my review of Stage 1 sometime next week (complete with starting weights, ending weights, and a check-in on measurements). In the mean time the book require a one week rest between stages. Fine by me! I’ll be at the beach anyways. πŸ˜‰

Post-workout breakfast was delightful.

• 1/2 cup Cherrios
  • 3/4 cup Shredded Wheat (the last of the bag)
  • 1 Peach
  • Ricotta (love!)
  • Blackberry Jam
  • Cacao Nibs

Ricotta on cereal is da bomb.

Ricotta with jam and cereal? DOuble Bomb. πŸ˜‰

The Last Shuttle

My eyes have been glued to the TV all morning for the shuttle launch. So many memories of all the shuttle launches of my youth are flooding back. It’s a shame I took each and everyone of them for granted (or was even angry at a few for the sonic booms waking me up in the early morning). sonic booms are loud and the cloud of smoke that follows the shuttle is just as beautiful in person as in photos.

Did you know my junior prom was at the space center? Or I went to Astronaut High School and Apollo Elementary? Or that the government bought the land that my grandparents originally settled on in the early 1963 and turned that into what the space center is today? Or that I’ve run two space themed races (Space Coast Half Marathon and Saturn 5k)? Or that my little brother worked at the visitor’s center and his fiance still does?

So much history that will live on!

God Speed Atlantis!

1 The Teenage Taste July 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

Aw, sorry to hear about the rain, Meghann. I hate when the rain ruins my running plans, but at least you still had a great workout! πŸ™‚
The Teenage Taste recently posted..Wasabi Roasted Edamame

2 Rachel July 8, 2011 at 10:15 am

It’s definitely a sad day here. Went for a run along US-1 this morning and the traffic is crazy! Gonna grab my camera in a bit and go down to the water to document the craziness.
Rachel recently posted..My Journey to Finding the Perfect Wedding Gown

3 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food July 8, 2011 at 10:16 am

I’m SO glad to hear that your leg is healing well, you’ve been such a trooper about it! πŸ™‚

Sorry that your ride was postponed but maybe it will be good for your leg to get a bit more rest! πŸ™‚

Enjoy the shuttle launch and I hope there are more great things to come for your home town! πŸ™‚
Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food recently posted..Boot Camp Class, Cocoa Berry Sunwarrior Oats Recipe, and Buck the Movie

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

I’ve got about 1/4 cup of ricotta left in the fridge and didn’t know what to do with it. Maybe it will go on cereal tomorrow morning now.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Lemon, rosemary, thyme avocado hummus

5 courtney (pancakes and postcards) July 8, 2011 at 10:26 am

Rain sucks, but occasionally it can be a good thing. Enjoy your rainy day and the shuttle launch, and great job being such a trooper!
courtney (pancakes and postcards) recently posted..Rocky Mountain Fondue

6 Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese July 8, 2011 at 10:26 am

I just got the NROLFW in the mail. I plan on starting soon! It’s so nice to read of your experience with it!
Jane @ Broccolini & Cheese recently posted..Chi Chi Chi Chia!

7 Sarah July 8, 2011 at 10:27 am

I love all of the fun facts! Stinks you still can’t run. Better safe than sorry though! At least you got in a great morning workout despite a few setbacks!
Sarah recently posted..Meal of Champion

8 Mary July 8, 2011 at 10:27 am

I’m glad you’re listening to your bod on running. stitches are brutal.

It’s raining a TON here in NC as well. It’s ruined my workouts just about every day. gah!
Mary recently posted..Knock your socks off

9 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 8, 2011 at 10:28 am

Too bad about the rain, at least tomorrow looks better!

You only have a few more days until the 13th — you’ll be able to run soon enough.
Holly @ The Runny Egg recently posted..Bowl of Bacon

10 Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups July 8, 2011 at 10:33 am

Hopefully the weather holds up for the launch. It is kind of sad that it’s the last one. Hopefully it doesn’t hurt the economy on the coast too badly.
Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups recently posted..β€œGreen” Smoothies

11 Cait's Plate July 8, 2011 at 10:35 am

I’ve got to get my hands on that book! After seeing how good your sister looked I’ve been dying to try it!

Sorry for the rain – that’s the worst πŸ™

At least that breakfast looks awesome!
Cait’s Plate recently posted..Brewing

12 Liv July 8, 2011 at 10:54 am

Not sure if you’re aware (I’ve seen this mistake multiple times and it’s really starting to annoy me) it’s “supposed to” with an “ed” not “suppose to.”

Just had to get that out there.

13 MelissaNibbles July 8, 2011 at 11:12 am

I thought it was a regional thing! lol!

14 katieRUNSthis July 8, 2011 at 10:55 am

Wait, slow your roll…Octomom claims she runs 50 miles per week? HAHAHAHA! That was just the funny I needed on this Friday!

I am really intrigued by this New Rules of Lifting for Women book. I have heard a lot about it and feel like I really need to look into it. I wonder if it would be safe for a pregnant lady?

I almost mistook your breakfast cereal for an ice cream sundae! Ha! It still looks super yummy either way.
katieRUNSthis recently posted..Gear That Rocks: Tommie Copper Compression Sleeves

15 Hillary July 8, 2011 at 11:05 am

I’ve never eaten ricotta cheese in anything other than savory dishes before. I think you’ve officially inspired me to give it a try in sweeter dishes!
Hillary recently posted..In A Jam

16 Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life July 8, 2011 at 11:11 am

It makes me sad that this is the last launch….. it marks the end of a long and rewarding journey for the U.S.

This rain is really cramping my style here in MA too, my run this morning was a no-go due to severe thunderstorms… bummer!!!! At least the weekend is going to be nice!
Ashley O. @ The Vegetable Life recently posted..Celebrating One Year As A Vegetarian…

17 Amy July 8, 2011 at 11:15 am

Man, Octomom’s really making me start to feel like a slacker.
Amy recently posted..hurry up and wait!

18 Shannon @ Mon Amour July 8, 2011 at 11:19 am

I am supposed to go for a long bike ride today but it is raining here too πŸ™
Shannon @ Mon Amour recently posted..Hitting the Trail

19 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 8, 2011 at 11:22 am

I told my sister that you grew up in Titusville and she was so jealous. She is a huge space nerd, haha!
Kate (What Kate is Cooking) recently posted..Bike Friendly

20 michelle July 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

Did she say that? I thought she said she uses the stair climber and boxes. Maybe I heard it wrong. How could she possibly have the time to do all that with no nannies and no outside help?
michelle recently posted..Five Things I’m Loving

21 Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit July 8, 2011 at 11:42 am

ha I love all of the space facts – especially that your prom was at the space center. That’s awesome!
Jessica @ For the Fun of Fit recently posted..Flashback Friday: Pittsburgh Wedding Venues

22 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 8, 2011 at 11:49 am

Beautiful history!! It will live on πŸ™‚

Ricotta for b-fast? I had no idea such think existed! ha.
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..When It’s Time

23 Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes July 8, 2011 at 11:59 am

Bummer about the rain!
P.S. Those chicken tenders from last night look amazing! I’ll have to try them once I learn how to cook… πŸ™‚
Gina @ Will Run for Cupcakes recently posted..I’m going for it…

24 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 8, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Wahhh I know right?! I got rained on for my run this morning, so that didn’t happen. Super bummed, but hey — now I get a free rest day!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Skinny Dipping.

25 Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 8, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Ok lady, you have GOT TO QUIT RUNNING WITH KNEE STITCHES!!! you will end up with a really really ugly scar. Ok, nurse’s rant over. I cried at the shuttle launch. I am glad I’m not the only one emotional about it.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Filed Under β€œF” for β€œfail” and β€œfish”

26 karin July 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I posted about switching up workouts today under my sweat tab. So good you improvised and “ran” with it. And yes I agree, no way does octomom run 50 miles a week

27 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com July 8, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I’ve got to try your ricotta idea for breakfast! So intriguing πŸ˜€
And yes, I balled my eyes out during Atlantis lift-off. It was EPIC!
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com recently posted..Penne Pasta with {modern} Spinach Pesto & Portabella

28 Nadine July 8, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Hi Meghann! I’m a new reader and also new to Tampa (we moved July 1 from nyc!). Quick question, do you belong to a gym (if so which one) and where do you swim? I’m trying to get adjusted here and our apartment gym/pool aren’t quite motivating enough for me. Thanks for the info and I look forward to reading more of the blog.

29 Sophie July 8, 2011 at 1:07 pm

The fact that the Space Centre etc is such a big part of your life is so cool! We don’t get anything like that in the UK! :'(

30 Margo @ peanut butter trees July 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Wow that ricotta looks incredible!
Margo @ peanut butter trees recently posted..It’s Friday, Friday

31 E July 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I watched a lot of coverage of the Shuttle launch this morning, too. Very sad to see the last launch… I’ve been to Cape Canaveral/the Kennedy Space Center, but was never there for a launch & guess I missed my last shot! I’m really hoping NASA gets to the chance soon to come up with the next program for our future in space.

32 Dani July 8, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Question – does NROLFW feature pictures of how each move is supposed to be done? I would love to pick it up, but I know I will have NO idea what literally any of the moves are.
Dani recently posted..Vineyard visiting!

33 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 8, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Ricotta in cereal? That is definitely something that I’m going to have to try!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..20 Minute Elliptical Hill Climb Workout

34 Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) July 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Ugh, I hate the rain! Sorry it ruined your plans.

Your weights workouts have really inspired my to read that book. I have a big vacation planned at the end or August. I really think I might read the book while on vacation and then start the workout once I get home.
Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) recently posted..Happy Girl vs. Angry Girl